[RECOVERY][shamu] TWRP 3.1.1-0 touch recovery [2017-05-19]

Search This thread

Lothsahn

Jan 5, 2015
Shamu support for LOS15.1?

TWRP is unable to mount encrypted user storage on Lineage OS (LOS) 15.1 (but worked fine with Pure Nexus). I don't know if this is because of F2FS (I don't think it is--I'm pretty sure I'm still running FDE) or the February encryption changes.

See more info here:
github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/issues/854

Is there a Shamu build (even unofficial) that can mount encrypted user storage from LOS 15.1? Could we get a new version posted to the TWRP download page that is able to decrypt FDE with the February changes?

Thanks for all your help, Dees Troy.

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
TWRP is unable to mount encrypted user storage on Lineage OS (LOS) 15.1 (but worked fine with Pure Nexus). I don't know if this is because of F2FS (I don't think it is--I'm pretty sure I'm still running FDE) or the February encryption changes.

See more info here:
github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/issues/854

Is there a Shamu build (even unofficial) that can mount encrypted user storage from LOS 15.1? Could we get a new version posted to the TWRP download page that is able to decrypt FDE with the February changes?

Thanks for all your help, Dees Troy.

There are posts I've seen about the way LOS 15 must be flashed in order for the partition to be read after encryption. Here is one post.

It's not a TWRP problem.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

Lothsahn

Jan 5, 2015
There are posts I've seen about the way LOS 15 must be flashed in order for the partition to be read after encryption. Here is one post.

It's not a TWRP problem.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

I read through the linked post, and it looks like the user removed encryption by reformatting the partition and not requiring a password. This would bypass the problem, but I do want FDE enabled with a passcode. From what I can see, it looks like the problem started with the February security update, which had a TWRP fix here:
https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery/commit/c5dd579168114b0bbe3ba758ec5da2603b9def0a

I believe, but am not sure, that Android did an update to the encryption scheme in February which broke TWRP's ability to read the encrypted partition. There are some TWRP binaries linked in my original post that supposedly resolve the issue for other phones, but no such update for Shamu.

Elting

Oct 26, 2010
Hm, downloaded the latest build but its just 6,69K and the md5 doesn't match. Can someone post a mirror link? -> ok it was a browser problem..

Last edited:

David B.

Mar 25, 2016
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3 XL
I posted about the LOS 15.1 encryption issue on the LOS subreddit here, and the developers told me that they not longer force encryption. They suggested formatting userdata and flashing the update. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what exactly is wrong. Is it not a TWRP problem?

Reactions: duttyend

Lothsahn

Jan 5, 2015
I posted about the LOS 15.1 encryption issue on the LOS subreddit here, and the developers told me that they not longer force encryption. They suggested formatting userdata and flashing the update. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what exactly is wrong. Is it not a TWRP problem?

LOS did force encryption, so wiping userdata and flashing the update didn't work when I tried. It sounds like that may have changed recently based on the reddit posts. I have heard that if you install LOS14 first, and then upgrade to 15.1, it will work (and preserve encryption), but have not personally verified this.

Razorloves built a number of builds of TWRP to try to resolve the issue, but we've had no success. I've traced the logs & code and it is failing where it uses the hardware based keymaster to sign the password before using the result to decrypt the partition. Unfortunately, I'm not skilled enough to diagnose further, so I'm lurking in IRC until Dees Troy shows up--hopefully he'll know how to fix it.

The issue appears to be Shamu only, and somehow something to do with how LOS15.1 does the encryption. Until then, I just have accepted that I can't mount my userdata in TWRP (I don't want to wipe userdata to try the 14->15.1 workaround).

Last edited:

David B.

Mar 25, 2016
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3 XL
LOS did force encryption, so wiping userdata and flashing the update didn't work when I tried. It sounds like that may have changed recently based on the reddit posts. I have heard that if you install LOS14 first, and then upgrade to 15.1, it will work (and preserve encryption), but have not personally verified this.

Razorloves built a number of builds of TWRP to try to resolve the issue, but we've had no success. I've traced the logs & code and it is failing where it uses the hardware based keymaster to sign the password before using the result to decrypt the partition. Unfortunately, I'm not skilled enough to diagnose further, so I'm lurking in IRC until Dees Troy shows up--hopefully he'll know how to fix it.

The issue appears to be Shamu only, and somehow something to do with how LOS15.1 does the encryption. Until then, I just have accepted that I can't mount my userdata in TWRP (I don't want to wipe userdata to try the 14->15.1 workaround).

Yeah that's kind of the attitude that I am taking. I've finally got my Nexus 6 on Oreo with a fresh install and I really don't want to screw around with it just to get things working. I was considering looking into how to build TWRP myself. Not sure if it's worth the effort or if it's possible though.

Lothsahn

Jan 5, 2015
Yeah that's kind of the attitude that I am taking. I've finally got my Nexus 6 on Oreo with a fresh install and I really don't want to screw around with it just to get things working. I was considering looking into how to build TWRP myself. Not sure if it's worth the effort or if it's possible though.

If you know your cryptography, it might be worth a try. I can say that just building the latest TWRP from sources will not correct the issue. You'll have to modify the sources to fix the underlying issue, which is neither simple nor straightforward.

If you're not scared by that, give compiling TWRP a whack and read this page about how the FDE partition is encrypted:
https://source.android.com/security/encryption/full-disk

David B.

Mar 25, 2016
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3 XL
If you know your cryptography, it might be worth a try. I can say that just building the latest TWRP from sources will not correct the issue. You'll have to modify the sources to fix the underlying issue, which is neither simple nor straightforward.

If you're not scared by that, give compiling TWRP a whack and read this page about how the FDE partition is encrypted:
https://source.android.com/security/encryption/full-disk
That's part of the problem. I really don't know my cryptography very well. I'm hoping to learn at some point though.

jc1266

Feb 19, 2017
Hi ..sorry for my bad English .I had twrp install iny N6 but recently I got this message asking me to install it as system or prompt to install this apps before I rebot to system ..
There 2 checkbox 1 prompt to install
2 install as system app
How to get rid of this massage pls help
Thank in advance

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
Hi ..sorry for my bad English .I had twrp install iny N6 but recently I got this message asking me to install it as system or prompt to install this apps before I rebot to system ..
There 2 checkbox 1 prompt to install
2 install as system app
How to get rid of this massage pls help
Thank in advance
There's a difference between TWRP recovery and the TWRP app. It sounds like your being prompted to install the TWRP *app* to system (so it can do its job updating recovery). You can either install it to system or delete the app if you don't use it. It's highly unlikely TWRP for the N6 will get any more updates so I'm not sure the app will be useful.

Reactions: katie579

jc1266

Feb 19, 2017
Dear sir ..pls need help on this'' no partitions selected to install" recently i make a backup twrp and my new broken so want to restore the backup and i had this error

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

Dear sir ..pls need help on this'' no partitions selected to install" recently i make a backup twrp and my new rom broken so want to restore the backup and i had this error.

Thanks in advance

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
Dear sir ..pls need help on this'' no partitions selected to install" recently i make a backup twrp and my new broken so want to restore the backup and i had this error

Is the bachup placed in the correct directory tree? It should be either in the srcard or USB OTG drive in: TWRP/BACKUPS/DeviceSerialnumber/<backup>

Reactions: duttyend

Galaen

Jan 28, 2009
Lufkin, Texas

I just noticed that there is a version 3.2.3 of twrp that was released on July 31st. Had anybody tried it to see if the encryption issue is resolved? I use my phone for work, and won't have a chance to wipe and revert back to nougat (if it fails) for at least another month.

ms12131

Aug 24, 2018
I just noticed that there is a version 3.2.3 of twrp that was released on July 31st. Had anybody tried it to see if the encryption issue is resolved? I use my phone for work, and won't have a chance to wipe and revert back to nougat (if it fails) for at least another month.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. I still receive an error when TWRP attempts to decrypt /data
- I just upgraded to twrp-3.2.3-0-shamu.img
- I'm on the latest LOS/microg (lineage-15.1-20180828-microG-shamu.zip)
This said, I did encrypt while flashing some number releases back - I did not try to clean flash and reproduce the issue (not enough time w/work).

Reactions: Galaen

uriel_zo

Sep 15, 2010
ciudad del carmen campeche
I have the nexus 6 XT1103 shamu
compilation number N6F27M
android 7.1.1
Which twrp can I install?

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

android 7.1.1

AmirHRC

Aug 21, 2018
android 7.1.1

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

android 7.1.1
twrp for shamu 3.2.3.0

Reactions: uriel_zo

generalnod

Dec 2, 2012
Appreciate all the work that's gone into TWRP, do wish the original post could get updated with this known issue however, would have saved me considerable time.

Anyway in case it's helpful, for me (and as at least one other has noted) TWRP 3.2.3-0-shamu.img does not fix the can't decrypt/encryption issue with LOS 15.1.x. I just installed it with lineage-15.1-20181106-nightly-shamu-signed.zip. I tried my password, 'default_password', encrypting with no password, no dice.

However thanks to Lothsahn

LOS did force encryption, so wiping userdata and flashing the update didn't work when I tried. It sounds like that may have changed recently based on the reddit posts. I have heard that if you install LOS14 first, and then upgrade to 15.1, it will work (and preserve encryption), but have not personally verified this..

I can confirm this workaround works, blow by blow is below, but tldr is:
Erase current encryption, install LOS 14 and boot to it, set your pin/pass to be used on startup, boot back to recovery entering pin/pass, do Advanced Wipe of the system/data/cache, install 15.1.x, boot LOS and specify previous pin/pass to use at startup, profit

Blow by blow:
I wiped data/removed current encryption done by LOS 15.1.x e.g.
Main TWRP menu Wipe
Chose Format Data and allowed to format
Returned to the previous menu, chose Advanced Wipe, selected the Cache and System partitions and wiped

Installed 14.1 specifically
lineage-14.1-20180324-microG-shamu.zip (which is what I use and happened to have around, I assume non microg LOS would work just fine)
Installed addonsu-14.1-arm-signed.zip
wipe cache/dalvik
reboot system

Once in OS do nothing more than set a pin to be asked for at startup enable developer options, advanced reboot and go to recovery
It accepts my pin and decrypts fine

Do Advanced Wipe of the /system /data /cache

Install lineage-15.1-20181106-nightly-shamu-signed.zip with gapps, addonsu, xposed
wipe cache/dalvik
booted to 15..1.x and specified current pre-existing pin to use for encryption on startup
Later changed it numerous times with no issue in TWRP

Since doing the above I've had no issues doing the normal things like backing up, restoring and so on.

Hope this helps someone else and thanks again to Lothsahn and others who've shared here.

Reactions: seedless99

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

CHANGELOG for 3.0.2-0:

-Backups will now include adopted storage keys (Dees_Troy)
    -Fixed an adb restore issue (bigbiff)
    -Fixed rebooting when no OS is present (Dees_Troy)
    -Fixed line wrapping in the GUI terminal (_that)
    -Updated TWRP source code to AOSP 7.1.2 (Dees_Troy)

CHANGELOG for 3.1.0-0:

-vold decrypt on a few select HTC devices, TWRP will now attempt to use the system partition's vold and vdc binaries and libraries to decrypt the data partition (nkk71 and CaptainThrowback)
    -adb backup to stream a backup directly to or from your PC, see documentation here: https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery/commit/ce8f83c48d200106ff61ad530c863b15c16949d9 (bigbiff)
    -tweak MTP startup routines (mdmower)
    -support new Android 7.x xattrs for backup and restore to fix loss of data after a restore (Dees_Troy)
    -support POSIX file capabilities backup and restore to fix VoLTE on HTC devices and possibly other issues (Dees_Troy)
    -better indicate to users that internal storage is not backed up (Dees_Troy)
    -improve automatic determination of TW_THEME (mdmower)
    -minimal getcap and setcap support (_that)
    -try mounting both ext4 and f2fs during decrypt (jcadduono and Dees_Troy)
    -shut off backlight with power key (mdmower)
    -timeout during FDE decrypt (Dees_Troy and nkk71)
    -support for FBE decrypt and backing up and restoring FBE policies (Dees_Troy)
    -boot slot support (Dees_Troy)
    -TWRP app install prompt during reboot (Dees_Troy)
    -support for AB OTA zips (Dees_Troy)
    -support new Android 7.x log command (Dees_Troy)
    -update recovery sources to AOSP 7.1 (Dees_Troy)
    -numerous bugfixes and improvements by too many people to mention

CHANGELOG for 3.0.2-0:

-Fix a bug with the input box that affected masked inputs (passwords). This fixes decrypt of full device encryption on devices that support decrypt. This bug also impacts encrypted backups. Users are highly encouraged to stop using 3.0.1 if you use encrypted backups or if you need decrypt of data in TWRP.
    -Add Greek translation to some builds.

CHANGELOG for 3.0.1-0:

-support new CM 13.0 pattern encryption (sultanqasim)
    -fix slow flashing issue due to modprobe (present on only some devices) (#twrp)
    -libtar updated to latest upstream and fixes (jcadduono)
    -fixes for loading custom themes (_that)
    -TWRP will now detect and install TWRP themes automatically through the normal zip install process (Dees_Troy)
    -translation updates - added Italian, Czech and Polish and significant updates to Dutch
    -progress bar improvements - progress bar updates during image flashing and better tracks progress during file system backups (tar) (Dees_Troy)
    -fix input box text display (Dees_Troy)
    -reboot option after zip install complete (bigbiff)
    -other mostly invisible bug fixes and improvements

CHANGELOG for 3.0.0-0:

-Completely new theme - Much more modern and much nicer looking (by z31s1g)
    -True Terminal Emulator - Includes arrow keys, tab and tab completion, etc. (by _that)
    -Language translation - It won’t be perfect and especially some languages that require large font files like Chinese & Japanese won’t be availble on most devices. Also some languages may only be partially translated at this time. Feel free to submit more translations to OmniROM’s Gerrit. (mostly by Dees_Troy)
    -Flashing of sparse images - On select devices you will be able to flash some parts of factory images via the TWRP GUI (by HashBang173)
    -Adopted storage support for select devices - TWRP can now decrypt adopted storage partitions from Marshmallow
    -Reworked graphics to bring us more up to date with AOSP - includes support for adf and drm graphics (by Dees_Troy)
    -SuperSU prompt will no longer display if a Marshmallow ROM is installed
    -Update exfat, exfat fuse, dosfstools (by mdmower)
    -Update AOSP base to 6.0
    -A huge laundry list of other minor fixes and tweaks

WARNING: This is our first release in a long time. We have a lot of new and somewhat aggressive changes in this new release. The changes to the graphics back-end may cause some devices to not boot up properly or have other display-related issues. If you are not in a position to reflash an older build of TWRP, then wait until you are or at least wait until others have tried the new version for your specific device. You don’t want to end up with a non-working recovery and have to wait several hours or days to get to a computer to be able to fix it.

Notes for themers: In addition to the udpated theme, we have introduced a theme version variable to the TWRP theme system. If the theme version does not match the version that TWRP expects, TWRP will reject the custom theme and load its stock theme. This change will ensure that people who update TWRP without updating their theme will still have a workable recovery. We have removed libjpeg support. The stock theme was only using a jpeg image for the splash / curtain. This change means that any custom themes will no longer be able to use jpeg images. It also means that tools used to repack recovery images with a different curtain / splash will need to be updated to use the new method.

Version number notes: For a while we’ve been using a 4 digit version number and reserved the 4th digit for device-specific updates. For instance, we find and fix a device-specific issue like decryption of data on Nexus 5, we would release that as a 2.8.7.1. After a while, some people would start asking where 2.8.7.1 was for other devices. So, going forward we have decided to change the numbering scheme to 3.0.0-2, etc. Our hope is that this version numbering scheme will more clearly identify that the 4th digit does not indicate a version change for the code base.

We need your help! The bulk of TWRP work is done by 3 people on a volunteer basis. We have pushed most of our device files to our github and we have a gerrit instance. If you have the ability, please help us maintain our official devices and/or add your device to our official device list. Thanks in advance!

DOWNLOAD:
    1) Install the TWRP app from the Play Store or grab the apk from our website
    2) Open the app, agree to the terms, and enable root access
    3) Select TWRP Flash
    4) Search for your device and select the version you wish to download
    5) Once the download is complete, select the file (it's usually in your downloads folder) and then Flash Recovery
    OR:
    Most devices can be updated quickly and easily within TWRP if you already have version 2.8.4.0 or higher installed
    1) Download the latest version from our website on your device
    2) Reboot to TWRP
    3) Hit Install and tap the "Images..." button in the lower right
    4) Browse to the location of the TWRP image on your device and select it
    5) Select recovery from the partition list and swipe to flash
    OR:
    You can find more information and download links on our website.

BUGS:
    If you have found a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 40 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to PM me directly, contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
    Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.
    At least running the stock ROM from Google, the Nexus 6 is *ALWAYS* encrypted even if you did not set up encryption. It uses "default_password" as the default password. TWRP can decrypt this and will do so automatically if the default_password is in use.

If you have not unlocked your bootloader, you will need to do so. Hold volume up and down while turning the device on. You will be in the bootloader. Do a "fastboot oem unlock" followed by a "fastboot reboot" from your computer to unlock. This will wipe all of your data including internal storage so back up anything you might want first. If you do not fastboot reboot before installing TWRP, you will probably have to perform a "Format Data" from within TWRP. It is highly recommended that you let the device boot normally immediately after doing the fastboot oem unlock and wait to install TWRP after the first successful boot after the unlock.

Device specific page on our website.

Download link for current and past versions.
    2.8.7.1 Bugfix update

2.8.7.1 Update is ready for download.

It fixes the decryption issue, some vendor files where missing in the .0 build.

https://dl.twrp.me/shamu/

Looks like TWRP 2.8.7.0 does not decrypt data correctly. It fails to decrypt after trying to enter my pattern. Flashed back to TWRP 2.8.6.0 and it worked immediately.
    I also had the same issue when trying TWRP 2.8.7.0 and had to flash back to the previous version.
    Yes exactly same here
    TWRP 3.0.0-1 Unofficial with system image support

So I built a version for Shamu that includes the ability to backup and restore system images. One can also flash system images from factory image sets.

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24407100847294345

I've tested this version on an encrypted device.
    The screenshot shows the console output of the test:

1. created a backup of system, data and boot
    2. created a backup of system image
    3. wiped system
    4. restored system image
    I'll go ahead and try do the same for hammerhead, flo and manta.