[RECOVERY][SHARED][surya]OrangeFox Recovery Project[R11.0_A] Xiaomi POCO X3 NFC

Search This thread

Master One

Jan 31, 2011
Europe
I'll try ArrowOS first before going to MIUI :)
How do you handle the arrow OS nightlies updates? Update every time or only like once a week? Dirty flash or clean flash?
They are OTA updates, which are always dirty flashes, no problems and you can choose to apply an update whenever you want (no need to do it daily, any the updater shows you the changelog automatically once you start the download so that you can decide).

warisha

Nov 16, 2014
OrangeFox Recovery Project

Code:
Your warranty is now void. * * We're not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
OrangeFox is FREE SOFTWARE

Supports MIUI and Custom Roms

Credits
* OrangeFox Recovery Project Team
* @LUNARIO, who did ALL the work, but sadly opened a thread violating the rules and the link to Recovery was deleted and the thread moved. Original here.

FEATURES:
* Touch Screen every single time
* Decryption works
* Fixed Error 7 while clean or dirty flashing (starting from version 6)
* Migrate backup installation (starting from version 6)
* OTG support
* ROM Flashing works 100%
* F2FS Support
* Fastboot commands supported

NOT WORKING FOR NOW:
* Fastbootd
* ADB Sideload
* Backing up and restoring Image Flash (system-vendor-product)

DOWNLOAD
Version 6 - Google
: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eHM9ST9ni-55bbT3z-TGSZQsgE3KYr9s/view

OLD VERSION DOWNLOAD
Version 4 - Google
: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qq6hqaEOstxajOC7Y6AGeRYajhMWjttL/view
Version 0 - Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/or...x-R11.0_0_Alpha-Unofficial-surya.img/download

INSTALLATION
1. Download the OrangeFoxRecovery IMG file to your PC.
2. Restart your POCO X3 in Fastboot mode (Power+Vol Down)
3. Use ADB and type in the following command:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery "OrangeFox-R11.0_6_Alpha-Unofficial-surya.img"
4. After it is installed successfully, type in this command:
Code:
fastboot boot "OrangeFox-R11.0_6_Alpha-Unofficial-surya.img"
5. The device will automatically reboot into OrangeFox Recovery after installation (allow this to happen)
6. Enjoy!

Version Information
Alpha
Alpha Release Date: 2020-10-14

Master One

Jan 31, 2011
Europe
Better then twrp recovery
Indeed, I have just come back from TWRP 3.5.0_10-5 because of an occasional error when processing addon.d scripts after an OTA update.

The only problems with OrangeFox are now that
  1. the OP is outdated and not maintained with the current version from 10th January 2021 to be found here.
  2. it is still labeled as unofficial beta software with the uncertainty when/if it will become official/stable.
@jeryll
@billabongstaff
@LUNARIO

Has there been any more info or update since then?

Because it would be really great to track this here on XDA and not on Telegram (which I'm not using).

ygb7

Jun 1, 2015
CounterC said:
What about internal storage when using miflash?

More likely than not, internal storage will be wiped. Be safe and back it up!

Temporarium gave the best advice you will ever receive in this or any forumBe safe and back it up!”.

If you ever consider flashing a custom ROM or restoring your phone device to Stock MIUI ROM, please, please, please be safe and backup any data & apps you do not want to lose to your external micro-SD card or even copy it to your local computer. Using tools like OrangeFox, TWRP, MIFlash etc has risks of data lost that you assume when you choose to use these tools.

If you use MIFlash to flash MIUI ROM, it will return the phone to stock MIUI OS. Just like it was fresh out of the box. The Boot Partition, the Recovery partition, the Super Partition (Product, Vendor, System), etc will all be returned to stock.

That means Internal data will be wiped. OrangeFox or TWRP Recovery partition will be gone after MIFlash of MIUI Stock ROM. It will be the stock MIUI ROM recovery. You will have to flash the OrangeFox of TWRP recovery again.

For example,

OrangeFox
fastboot flash recovery OrangeFox-R11.0_6_Alpha-Unofficial-surya.img
adb reboot recovery

TWRP
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.5.0_10-5-surya.img
adb reboot recovery

As I mentioned previously, It will not relock your bootloader if you Do NOT select “Clean and lock” radio button on bottom right corner of the MIFlash UI. Even if you did relock the PX3NFC bootloader, you can easily & immediately unlock it again with Xiaomi Mi Unlock Tool . You will not have the Xiaomi 5-10 day waiting period if the phone bootloader has already been previously unlocked.

This is the way it worked for me when I received my new PX3NFC phone a couple months ago. I bricked my POCO X3 NFC phone over 10 times with trial & error. I had to restore my phone to MIUI v12.0.4.0 Global Stock ROM, unlocked bootloader again, install TWRP again over 10 times before I finally identified this solution that worked for me.

Do not use any hacks. I used the official way to unlock my bootloader by Bind your Mi Account which means sign in to the Poco device using your Mi account by heading to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options > Add account and device and log in.

Best wishes & Happy flashing. I hope this email helps you.

CounterC

Oct 26, 2012
CounterC said:
What about internal storage when using miflash?

Temporarium gave the best advice you will ever receive in this or any forumBe safe and back it up!”.

If you ever consider flashing a custom ROM or restoring your phone device to Stock MIUI ROM, please, please, please be safe and backup any data & apps you do not want to lose to your external micro-SD card or even copy it to your local computer. Using tools like OrangeFox, TWRP, MIFlash etc has risks of data lost that you assume when you choose to use these tools.

If you use MIFlash to flash MIUI ROM, it will return the phone to stock MIUI OS. Just like it was fresh out of the box. The Boot Partition, the Recovery partition, the Super Partition (Product, Vendor, System), etc will all be returned to stock.

That means Internal data will be wiped. OrangeFox or TWRP Recovery partition will be gone after MIFlash of MIUI Stock ROM. It will be the stock MIUI ROM recovery. You will have to flash the OrangeFox of TWRP recovery again.

For example,

OrangeFox
fastboot flash recovery OrangeFox-R11.0_6_Alpha-Unofficial-surya.img
adb reboot recovery

TWRP
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.5.0_10-5-surya.img
adb reboot recovery

As I mentioned previously, It will not relock your bootloader if you Do NOT select “Clean and lock” radio button on bottom right corner of the MIFlash UI. Even if you did relock the PX3NFC bootloader, you can easily & immediately unlock it again with Xiaomi Mi Unlock Tool . You will not have the Xiaomi 5-10 day waiting period if the phone bootloader has already been previously unlocked.

This is the way it worked for me when I received my new PX3NFC phone a couple months ago. I bricked my POCO X3 NFC phone over 10 times with trial & error. I had to restore my phone to MIUI v12.0.4.0 Global Stock ROM, unlocked bootloader again, install TWRP again over 10 times before I finally identified this solution that worked for me.

Do not use any hacks. I used the official way to unlock my bootloader by Bind your Mi Account which means sign in to the Poco device using your Mi account by heading to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options > Add account and device and log in.

Best wishes & Happy flashing. I hope this email helps you.
Thanks a lot bro. I saw your post too late though. Yesterday I already managed to get back to the latest MIUI rooted with Magisk, Viper4Android, OFox, and other mods I need. Just what I wanted!

Thanks anyway. I'm sure it will help some other people as well.

Alv32

Oct 19, 2017
I'm on latest MIUI global ROM with device encryption and have recently installed OrangeFox from post #102, my concern is now I am unable to install OTA updates because I no longer have stock recovery.

Can I flash the OTA zip using OrangeFox using the steps below once the OTA update has been downloaded to the "downloaded_rom" folder?

1.) Unroot via Magisk "Restore Images"
2.) Reboot to recovery
3.) Flash the OTA zip
4.) Reboot to system

Is it safe to assume OrangeFox recovery in still intact after the steps above?

Are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of with this version of OrangeFox because I would like to prevent a bootloop or hard brick due to MIUI boot check and dm-verity check?

Reactions: CounterC

CounterC

Oct 26, 2012
Two more questions:

- Being on MIUI and OFox I always need to decrypt storage upon entering OFox. Will the disable enryption zip work permanently in my case?
- Also OFox has the option for (MIUI) OTA. I tried it yesterday but it failed. Next update it would be nice to test again instead of installing the whole system image. There are some devices that can do it but we don't have the wipe system option so it might not work like that. Anyone any ideas on this??

Thanks in advance.

Master One

Jan 31, 2011
Europe
OrangeFox R11.0 - UNOFFICIAL | Beta Updated: 10/01/'21 By @ManoloRey
Found a bug:

OTA updates don't work if an OrangeFox access protection (Settings >> Security) is active.

I thought it's a good idea to protect OrangeFox with a PIN code and disable "Run ADB on startup", but with that setting and after an OTA update has been initiated, when the ROM reboots to recovery to perform the update, first the data encryption PIN is asked, then the OrangeFox PIN is asked, and then it ends in the "Files" tab without proceeding to performing the update.

jeryll

Dec 23, 2010
Found a bug:

OTA updates don't work if an OrangeFox access protection (Settings >> Security) is active.

I thought it's a good idea to protect OrangeFox with a PIN code and disable "Run ADB on startup", but with that setting and after an OTA update has been initiated, when the ROM reboots to recovery to perform the update, first the data encryption PIN is asked, then the OrangeFox PIN is asked, and then it ends in the "Files" tab without proceeding to performing the update.
please read how OTA in OFOX should work

also I'm not an OFOX maintainer for POCO X3, so even if it's a bug, I can't do anything about it, sorry

Last edited:

Master One

Jan 31, 2011
Europe
please read how OTA in OFOX should work, also I'm not an OFOX maintainer for POCO X3, so even if it's a bug, I can't do anything about it, sorry
That wiki page has absolutely nothing to do with the bug I have mentioned.

With OrgangeFox access protection disabled, everything is working, but OTA updates definitely don't work if enabling that security feature in OrangeFox settings.

So where/how to report a bug? @ManoloRey?

Alin45

Oct 7, 2020
Bucharest
That wiki page has absolutely nothing to do with the bug I have mentioned.

With OrgangeFox access protection disabled, everything is working, but OTA updates definitely don't work if enabling that security feature in OrangeFox settings.

So where/how to report a bug? @ManoloRey?
Did u do all procedure to activate OTA in OrangeFox as discribed in the link Jeryll provided (activate that option - flash the custom ROM - use in build ROM update app only) and did not work? I used this method with ArrowOS about 1 month ago and all worked as expected (I had PIN protection on OF tho).
If u don't use in build OF OTA option, but in build ROM update app, having problem to update because of security measures of OF is because of the update script inside the ROM which is not adapted for OF specific functionality (so, u can blame developer not OF.....if u wanna blame someone :)).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    - new version of OFOX is here (finally!), many thanks to @brigudav
    - no official changelog yet, but first look tells this:
    -- files sorting is finally remembered between reboots
    -- naming of your external sdcard changed from sdcard1 to external_sd
    -- location name of your existing backups changed (was some numerical value, now is POCO_X3), so you need to relocate your backup files from old directory to POCO_X3 else they will not be visible in this version of OFOX
    - enjoy!

redownload new version here
    seems brigudav is on fire, so here's new version of OFOX, probably bugfix release, no changelog, but different md5, than yesterday, so redownload please, thanks, this time we also have flashable zip too, enjoy...

md5 (img): 751933e8d51141f3faca61fecd8a756c
    md5 (zip): 38311773dc6fa006cefe5deae2872503
    @Abdullah.Csit @jeryll

What does that mean? It is the same version from @brigudav, so what's the point?

As said before, it doesn't make much sense sticking to a thread in which the OP can not be kept up-to-date, which is why I already suggested before that it should be time to start a new thread, which is what @Abdullah.Csit did.

The question is only, if @Abdullah.Csit will thoroughly keep his OP up-to-date, and since I don't know him or his involvement, I would have preferred if @jeryll would have started that new thread.

I know what you want to say, Totally understand. There is no difference If I did or jeryII. I was hoping to start new live thread for this great kernel on our community but no one start it. I thought It's must started by someone so I did.

maybe I'm not the star who you know but I won't disappoint you guys. I'm very active and got experienced journey with OP outside XDA.

and as jeryII said Brigudav on fire and there sky hawk recovery outside for him I hope that someone operating thread of it here.

thanks for understanding
    Will there be a new flashable ZIP archive with the extras in the Fox folder?
    that depends entirely on @brigudav, in the meantime you can download attached zip file and unpack it to your Fox folder...
    FYI Do NOT enable OrangeFox access protection because it can bork your system if trying to expand from "show less information" during an OTA update!

So with OFOX access protection enabled (this time I tried with a pattern instead of a PIN) the OTA update is possible, but if "show less information during an OTA update" is enabled and you try to access the full information, it will ask for the access pattern and then crash the update with some error messages about processes already running.

This left my system in an inconsistent state which did not boot anymore and even (dirty) reflashing did not solve the issue. I didn't want to risk any more inconsistencies, so (clean) reflashed the full MIUI ROM and started over installing my chosen custom ROM (ArrowOS 11).
    new beta of 🍊 🦊 is here, enjoy!
    source: Telegram

OrangeFox R11.0 - UNOFFICIAL | Beta
    Updated: 10/01/'21

By @ManoloRey
    🔹 Donate

Changelog:
    • Fix Vibration
    • Rework Fastbootd and Adb Sideload code
    • Use USB configs from MIUI
    • Remove predefined services

Note:
    • Thanks to @MrYacha and @DarthJabba9 - Source Development

Screenshot_2021-01-11-05-37-47.png
    OrangeFox Recovery Project

Code:
    Your warranty is now void. * * We're not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
    OrangeFox is FREE SOFTWARE

Supports MIUI and Custom Roms

Credits
    * OrangeFox Recovery Project Team
    * @LUNARIO, who did ALL the work, but sadly opened a thread violating the rules and the link to Recovery was deleted and the thread moved. Original here.

FEATURES:
    * Touch Screen every single time
    * Decryption works
    * Fixed Error 7 while clean or dirty flashing (starting from version 6)
    * Migrate backup installation (starting from version 6)
    * OTG support
    * ROM Flashing works 100%
    * F2FS Support
    * Fastboot commands supported

NOT WORKING FOR NOW:
    * Fastbootd
    * ADB Sideload
    * Backing up and restoring Image Flash (system-vendor-product)

DOWNLOAD
    Version 6 - Google: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eHM9ST9ni-55bbT3z-TGSZQsgE3KYr9s/view

OLD VERSION DOWNLOAD
    Version 4 - Google: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qq6hqaEOstxajOC7Y6AGeRYajhMWjttL/view
    Version 0 - Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/or...x-R11.0_0_Alpha-Unofficial-surya.img/download

INSTALLATION
    1. Download the OrangeFoxRecovery IMG file to your PC.
    2. Restart your POCO X3 in Fastboot mode (Power+Vol Down)
    3. Use ADB and type in the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery "OrangeFox-R11.0_6_Alpha-Unofficial-surya.img"
    4. After it is installed successfully, type in this command:
    Code:
    fastboot boot "OrangeFox-R11.0_6_Alpha-Unofficial-surya.img"
    5. The device will automatically reboot into OrangeFox Recovery after installation (allow this to happen)
    6. Enjoy!

Version Information
    Alpha Release Date: 2020-10-14
    ... Orange recovery, not stable at all as I read here, will let me to flash MAGISK Canary ? Please let me know, I would like to start using my new phone...
    Hm, not stable at all, you say... Really? Then I must be incredible lucky, cos I'm flashing ROMs with A6 version for almost one month and nothing bad happened to me (or my phone :) )... Main thing is to know what you are doing, else bad things can and probably will happen...

All I can say is you are incredible lucky too, because here is brand new Beta version of Ofox with a lot of fixes, bigger, shinier... found on *elegram and is up to you what will you do... I flashed it already and will test in a few days what works and what not...

bugs:
    all reboot functions works only on second try (but it works)
    edit: this could be related to your currently flashed fw
    (on 12.0.3 reboot only works on second try, on 12.0.5 it started to work correctly, on the other hand now sorting files in ofox is not remembered anymore :rolleyes:)

Orange Fox recovery download here
    - new version of OFOX is here (finally!), many thanks to @brigudav
    - no official changelog yet, but first look tells this:
    -- files sorting is finally remembered between reboots
    -- naming of your external sdcard changed from sdcard1 to external_sd
    -- location name of your existing backups changed (was some numerical value, now is POCO_X3), so you need to relocate your backup files from old directory to POCO_X3 else they will not be visible in this version of OFOX
    - enjoy!

redownload new version here
    Ok guys, here it is once again OrangeFox-R11.0_0_B004-Beta, but this time proper with addons included, soo please attached file here flash as zip in ofox or twrp!

Changelog:
    • Fix ADB sideload
    • Fix Fastbootd (It's in the reboot menu - "fastboot")
    • Decryption works 100% now (Even with PIN or password and Android 11)

Credits:
    Thanks to @MrYacha and @DarthJabba9 - Source Development

By @ManoloRey
    Donate

Screenshot_2020-12-17-20-27-32.png Screenshot_2020-12-26-19-49-01.png
    latest Beta download here
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode