[RECOVERY][SHARED][surya]OrangeFox Recovery Project[R11.0_A] Xiaomi POCO X3 NFC

ThatDamnFrog

Jan 3, 2021
I got another question real quick.
Do I have to Flash the fw everytime I switch custom rom (Right now my Phone is on firmware 12.04 (old stock, bootloader unlocking in 3 days by the way))
For example, if I flashed RR 8.6.5 changed my mind...
And want to flash EVO X, do I have to flash the fw again?
Thanks!

ThatDamnFrog

Jan 3, 2021
Pardon the off-topic, but looks like you're OK with giving your number to a company owned by a guy who will gladly sell it to any third parties he finds (Mark Zuckerberg) but reluctant to give it to this other guy who exiled himself from his native country rather than relent to giving the government access to his platform (Pavel Durov). Excuse me if I don't follow you on this.
I don't want to give my personal phone number to any more platforms, is what I mean, and if possible try my best to avoid it in general. (It's also a hassle to be juggling around on multiple platforms)
And I can gurantee you, I'm definitely, after being made aware of it, not comfortable with handing over my data to big old facebook.
The comment "The Irony is, I gladly gave it to whatsapp", would be better if I added "back then"
Excuse the off-topic as well.
Hope it cleared my perspective up for you! :D

Reactions: pnin

jeryll

Dec 23, 2010
I got another question real quick.
Do I have to Flash the fw everytime I switch custom rom (Right now my Phone is on firmware 12.04 (old stock, bootloader unlocking in 3 days by the way))
For example, if I flashed RR 8.6.5 changed my mind...
And want to flash EVO X, do I have to flash the fw again?
Thanks!
Nah, if it boots, leave it, in case you'll find some weirdness, like WiFi not working, Bluetooth, or weird sound, etc you can try another fw, of course, for 100% working ROM is always good to follow dev recommendation in OP check this mini guide

m0han

Apr 30, 2012
OrangeFox-R11-Unofficial-Beta-surya-10-01.zip (48,932,297 bytes)
MD5: 6e35f2aedc8a11621bd490dec12dc6db
SHA1: 0e4350c6e7565c2b98ae6b665b93153c6b84563b
just an fyi: used this recovery to go from 'RR v8.6.5 of 27-dec' rom (a10, 05-dec security patch) to 'crDroid v7.2 of 11-jan' rom (a11, 05-jan security patch).

what i did:
Code:
[*]disable security (pin and fingerprint)
[*]boot into recovery
[*]wipe cache & dalvik-cache
[*]backup boot and data partitions
[*]wipe data
[*]flash rom
[*]boot into rom
[*]verify things worked
[*]boot back into recovery
[*]restore data
[*]flash nikgapps (a11), magisk v21.2
[*]boot into rom

also running gravitybox for a11 with riru v23.1, edxposed manager v4.5.7 and edxposed v0.5.1.4._4655 (yahfa). all good as far as i can see. updated rom to 14-jan build. i think the built-in anx camera is good.

temporarium

May 16, 2012
just an fyi: used this recovery to go from 'RR v8.6.5 of 27-dec' rom (a10, 05-dec security patch) to 'crDroid v7.2 of 11-jan' rom (a11, 05-jan security patch).

what i did:
Code:
[*]boot into recovery
[*]wipe data
[*]flash rom
[*]boot into rom
[*]verify things worked
[*]restore data
[*]boot into rom

also running gravitybox for a11 with riru v23.1, edxposed manager v4.5.7 and edxposed v0.5.1.4._4655 (yahfa). all good as far as i can see. updated rom to 14-jan build. i think the built-in anx camera is good.
Impressive! I think I tried a direct move between RR <-> CR (they are related, after all), but found that some settings didn't work. Please test and confirm.
Were you encrypted on RR?
Was your internal storage backed up and restored?

Reactions: XtraWater

XtraWater

Apr 8, 2018
Impressive! I think I tried a direct move between RR <-> CR (they are related, after all), but found that some settings didn't work. Please test and confirm.
Were you encrypted on RR?
I'll try it this weekend. Will report how it was going. However, I'll stay on RR A10.

temporarium

May 16, 2012
I'll try it this weekend. Will report how it was going. However, I'll stay on RR A10.
Yes, please let us know.

I, too, think Android 11 hasn't been hacked properly yet (Magisk, edXposed, etc.). It really doesn't improve much on 10, other than some fancy notification settings that custom ROMs provide anyway.

m0han

Apr 30, 2012
.... some settings didn't work...
Were you encrypted on RR?.
yeah, some settings didn't work; had to set them again. i suppose that was to be expected. and, i miss 'slim recents'.
yes. and recovery says i am still encrypted.
i didn't attempt backing up internal storage.

Reactions: temporarium

XtraWater

Apr 8, 2018

what i did:
Code:
[*]boot into recovery
[*]wipe data
[*]flash rom
[*]boot into rom
[*]verify things worked
[*]restore data
[*]boot into rom

@temporarium
@jeryll

Done. I followed the steps above. Installed latest RR rom and restored data. Everything is here. And everything seems to work. Slim Recent is fine too. No errors. Amazing.

Instead of nikgapps I installed OpenGapps micro. But from my understanding it seems it was not necessary since I restored data anyway.

Is there any kind of caveat with this procedure? It seems to be too perfect.

My intention to try this was only to update RR gapps version to vanilla without losing data. The only thing what I have to do again are fingerprints and and setup some banking apps.

Last edited:

jeryll

Dec 23, 2010
@temporarium
@jeryll

Done. I followed the steps above. Installed latest RR rom and restored data. Everything is here. And everything seems to work. Slim Recent is fine too. No errors. Amazing.

Instead of nikgapps I installed OpenGapps micro. But from my understanding it seems it was not necessary since I restored data anyway.

My intention to try this was only to update RR gapps version to vanilla without losing data. The only thing what I have to do again are fingerprints and and setup some banking apps.
thanks for the detailed information, as I said already somewhere else, the more different is the ROM you are restoring data backup to, the more likely is that the restore will fail... you'll see that almost immediately after reboot when you'll start getting force-closes... if everything works, good, don't scratch it, I am glad it worked for you just fine...

Reactions: XtraWater

temporarium

May 16, 2012
@temporarium
@jeryll

So, now that you are on CR 7.2 (A11) what's your opinion in comparison with RR (A10)?

XtraWater

Apr 8, 2018
So, now that you are on CR 7.2 (A11) what's your opinion in comparison with RR (A10)?
No, I'm still on RR 8.65 A10. After I got my Poco, I installed RR 8.6.5 (fw 12.0.4) from 12 December 2020 . This version had gapps included. Then the 27 December 2020 Update came out but only vanilla and clean install (format data) is required. Some users tried to dirty flash the update but the phone then didn't boot anymore.

The maintainer won't publish any gapps version in the future.

So I only wanted to update to the latest version and fw 12.0.7, but didn't want losing all my settings and data since I spent many hours to set the phone up. Future updates can just be flashed without format data.

For myself I think it's too early for A11. For the same reasons you mentioned in post #128. RR A10 runs rock solid and all apps incl. edXposed, Magisk, tasker profiles working just fine.

Hope that makes sense :)

temporarium

May 16, 2012
No, I'm still on RR 8.65 A10. After I got my Poco, I installed RR 8.6.5 (fw 12.0.4) from 12 December 2020 . This version had gapps included. Then the 27 December 2020 Update came out but only vanilla and clean install (format data) is required. Some users tried to dirty flash the update but the phone then didn't boot anymore.

The maintainer won't publish any gapps version in the future.

So I only wanted to update to the latest version and fw 12.0.7, but didn't want losing all my settings and data since I spent many hours to set the phone up. Future updates can just be flashed without format data.

For myself I think it's too early for A11. For the same reasons you mentioned in post #128. RR A10 runs rock solid and all apps incl. edXposed, Magisk, tasker profiles working just fine.

Hope that makes sense :)
Yes, it does. It's just that @m0han installed CR 7.2 and you "followed his steps", which made me think you're on CR well. 👍🏻

m0han

Apr 30, 2012
..now that you are on CR 7.2 (A11) what's your opinion in comparison with RR (A10)?
....RR A10 runs rock solid and all apps incl. edXposed, Magisk, tasker profiles working just fine...
you're right. can't beat RR for customisation options. on crD v7.2 i get by with gravitybox. like i said, i miss 'slim recents' and maybe a few other minor features. but, crD is A11 and i like to be on the latest, if/whenever i can. i have downloaded roms Bliss and Arrow (both A11); haven't yet got the opportunity to flash them, though.

XtraWater

Apr 8, 2018
you're right. can't beat RR for customisation options. on crD v7.2 i get by with gravitybox. like i said, i miss 'slim recents' and maybe a few other minor features. but, crD is A11 and i like to be on the latest, if/whenever i can. i have downloaded roms Bliss and Arrow (both A11); haven't yet got the opportunity to flash them, though.
I too prefer slim recent. There is one thing may be you recognized as well even though it's hard to reproduce it. I mapped lonpress back button with 'last app' in RR settings. Then when I use that button to switch between apps and at the same time splitscreen is active, the screen getting dark and it looks the ui has crashed. After 2 seconds it's back.

That doesn't happen with the default recent view.

I tried to log it. But it happens not often. So, hard to catch. Both RR version I tried are affected.