srgrusso

Jan 24, 2017
Official TWRP for Galaxy Tab A 10.1
Code:
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

How to Flash TWRP Recovery
Download the latest version of Odin and the Samsung USB drivers

Enable OEM unlock:
Go to Settings » About phone » and tap Build number seven times to enable Developer options.
Go back to main Settings page, scroll to bottom and select Developer options from there.
Under Developer options, look for Enable OEM unlock checkbox/toggle and enable it.

Boot your device into Download mode:
Switch off your device.
Press and hold “Home + Power + Volume down” buttons for a few seconds until you see a warning screen.
Press Volume Up on the warning screen to accept it and boot into Download mode.

Flash TWRP with Odin
Once your device is in download mode, connect it to the PC with a USB cable. The Odin window on PC should detect the device and show an “Added!!” message.
Now click on the AP tab on Odin window and select the TWRP recovery .tar file that you downloaded for your device.
Click the Start button on Odin and wait for it to finish the process. Once it has finished successfully, you’ll see a pass message on the Odin screen.
Your device will automatically reboot when Odin is done flashing. You can then disconnect your device.

How to boot TWRP Recovery
Switch off your device.
Press and hold “Home + Power + Volume Up” buttons for a few seconds and as soon as you see your device’ logo on-screen, release three buttons altogether. Your device will boot into TWRP recovery.

Downloads:
SM-T580
SM-T585

Last edited:

sd_dracula

Feb 8, 2013
Having a bit of trouble with the drivers I believe, I keep getting device unrecognized in Windows, tried two different machines, same issue. Any idea what is wrong?
I am getting the same when in recovery mode and in normal Android OS.
I am not getting the popup that says Use USB to transfer files etc, it just says slow charging.

Error is Uknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

Last edited:

Nimueh

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2012
OnePlus 3
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
Having a bit of trouble with the drivers I believe, I keep getting device unrecognized in Windows, tried two different machines, same issue. Any idea what is wrong?
I am getting the same when in recovery mode and in normal Android OS.
I am not getting the popup that says Use USB to transfer files etc, it just says slow charging.

Error is Uknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

Install device drivers and adb/fastboot ones. Search here on XDA, I'm sure you'll find them :good: :)

sd_dracula

Feb 8, 2013
Install device drivers and adb/fastboot ones. Search here on XDA, I'm sure you'll find them :good: :)

I have installed the ones linked at the top of this post. Is that the reason why is happening?
Is it not strange that when I am not in recovery and just booted to normal android and try to connect to my PC it also happens?
Hooked up my Samsung phone and Odin picked it up instantly - thinking the usb port on the table is gone and is only charging now. If that happened there is no way to TWRP without it right?
I'll look for those drivers thanks.

Last edited:

srgrusso

Jan 24, 2017
I have installed the ones linked at the top of this post. Is that the reason why is happening?
Is it not strange that when I am not in recovery and just booted to normal android and try to connect to my PC it also happens?
Hooked up my Samsung phone and Odin picked it up instantly - thinking the usb port on the table is gone and is only charging now. If that happened there is no way to TWRP without it right?
I'll look for those drivers thanks.

Try these drivers and let me now if they fix your problem.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fjPf4m7XXmj2qIj4IO9_AO4LYYZfZnfG

Also you can try cleaning your usb port with a small piece of plastic or a pin. They can get packed with dirt sometimes. Also try a different cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nimueh

sd_dracula

Feb 8, 2013
Got my usb port fixed, OEM unlock in dev mode, ran odin along with the twrp-3.3.1-1-gtaxlwifi.img.tar file but it doesn't seem to work. Tried twice and this is what I get after powering on with Power + Home + Up Volume which seems like the default bootloader?
Odin completed ok too. Any idea why it won't take?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,486
  • 20191121_214141.jpg
    20191121_214141.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 1,504
  • 20191121_214051.jpg
    20191121_214051.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 1,489

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
Got my usb port fixed, OEM unlock in dev mode, ran odin along with the twrp-3.3.1-1-gtaxlwifi.img.tar file but it doesn't seem to work. Tried twice and this is what I get after powering on with Power + Home + Up Volume which seems like the default bootloader?
It probably is taking but getting immediately overwritten because you are allowing it to reboot into the system. When you flash TWRP with Odin, you need to click Option and uncheck the auto reboot. Then, after flashing, hold the Home, Vol down and Power buttons until the screen goes black. Then, VERY quickly switch from Vol down to Vol up until the Samsung logo screen appears. Then release the Power button while still holding Vol up and Home and the tablet will boot into TWRP. After that, you can reboot system and TWRP will remain as the recovery app.

sd_dracula

Feb 8, 2013
Yup that did the trick, thanks :)
How can I make a full backup of stock OS using TWRP? Is it safe to restore from that backup in the future if needed?

Last edited:

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
Ok so the only way would be to install the official ROM again right?
There are backup apks in Play Store. You just can't use TWRP. Typically, people install TWRP because they want to root and use custom ROMs. Before using TWRP to flash custom ROMs, you must first format the data partition to get rid of the encryption. But that erases EVERYTHING on it. Including any saved video, audio, pictures or apps. Even Google apps. But remember, by installing TWRP, you have already tripped knox, so you won't be getting any further updates from Samsung.
If you really want a stock ROM that you can backup with TWRP, it might be possible to format the data partition and then flash the stock opengapps for the version of stock ROM, probably ARM 32bit 8.1. But I don't know of anyone whose tried it. Of course, you need to backup any data you want to save and reinstall any Play Store or sideloaded apks you are using.

Reactions: sd_dracula

sd_dracula

Feb 8, 2013
Plan is to try a couple of custom ROMs and if any issues go back to one of these: https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-tab-a/firmware/SM-T580/ that shouldn't be a problem right?
Also I have wiped data which cleared everything and then when I tried to go wipe dalvik/system/data/cache in preparation for LineageOS, but it keeps failing because of /data, still encrypted after the initial format?
Why does it not work?

Attachments

• 20191122_212759.jpg
    20191122_212759.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:

srgrusso

Jan 24, 2017
Plan is to try a couple of custom ROMs and if any issues go back to one of these: https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-tab-a/firmware/SM-T580/ that shouldn't be a problem right?
Also I have wiped data which cleared everything and then when I tried to go wipe dalvik/system/data/cache in preparation for LineageOS, but it keeps failing because of /data, still encrypted after the initial format?
Why does it not work?

Did you choose the format Data option in the wipe screen? You should have typed yes to confirm.

sd_dracula

Feb 8, 2013
Got it sorted in the end, the problem was I had booted to the OS after wiping that instead of just installing the zip which solved it, thx

So glad I was directed to this forum thx @srgrusso. I flashed the official version of TWRP using the TWRP app from the app store and it work just like it was supposed to. Thank for suggesting I give it a try. I will be using it go forward, to verify, backup and update my TWRP from the official web site. Thanks again for all you do for the T580 device, you have breath new life and interest into this device for me. I love playing around with now.

Reactions: srgrusso

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Official TWRP for Galaxy Tab A 10.1
    Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

How to Flash TWRP Recovery
    Download the latest version of Odin and the Samsung USB drivers

Enable OEM unlock:
    Go to Settings » About phone » and tap Build number seven times to enable Developer options.
    Go back to main Settings page, scroll to bottom and select Developer options from there.
    Under Developer options, look for Enable OEM unlock checkbox/toggle and enable it.

Boot your device into Download mode:
    Switch off your device.
    Press and hold “Home + Power + Volume down” buttons for a few seconds until you see a warning screen.
    Press Volume Up on the warning screen to accept it and boot into Download mode.

Flash TWRP with Odin
    Once your device is in download mode, connect it to the PC with a USB cable. The Odin window on PC should detect the device and show an “Added!!” message.
    Now click on the AP tab on Odin window and select the TWRP recovery .tar file that you downloaded for your device.
    Click the Start button on Odin and wait for it to finish the process. Once it has finished successfully, you’ll see a pass message on the Odin screen.
    Your device will automatically reboot when Odin is done flashing. You can then disconnect your device.

How to boot TWRP Recovery
    Switch off your device.
    Press and hold “Home + Power + Volume Up” buttons for a few seconds and as soon as you see your device’ logo on-screen, release three buttons altogether. Your device will boot into TWRP recovery.

Downloads:
    SM-T580
    SM-T585
    reserved too
    It probably is taking but getting immediately overwritten because you are allowing it to reboot into the system. When you flash TWRP with Odin, you need to click Option and uncheck the auto reboot. Then, after flashing, hold the Home, Vol down and Power buttons until the screen goes black. Then, VERY quickly switch from Vol down to Vol up until the Samsung logo screen appears. Then release the Power button while still holding Vol up and Home and the tablet will boot into TWRP. After that, you can reboot system and TWRP will remain as the recovery app.