• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY]SPH-L720 OUDHS Recovery

Search This thread

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
Shabbypenguin and the OUDHS
presents to you

OUDHS Touch CWM-based Recovery 1.0.3.3
for your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 4

Read this whole post before doing anything :)

Enjoy

OUDHS CWM-based Recovery 1.0.3.3
Odin 3.04

Directions:

1) Download the above files
2) Extract Odin3-3.04.zip and copy the tar that you downloaded into the folder
3) Run Odin as an administrator
4) Power your device off
5) Press and hold volume down, home, and power to enter download mode
6a) Connect your phone to your computer
6b) Wait for drivers to finish installing if they need to be
7) You should see Odin find your device by marking a blue square in the ID COM box
8) Click on PDA and choose the recovery tar you downloaded
9) Click start
10) when it says finished you need to beat your phone in a race
11) you need to unplug it and press and hold volume up and power until the blue text appears
12) let go :p
13 once you have booted into recovery it will handle the script that installs stock recovery if its present.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Congrats you now have CWM now if you wish to root youll need to follow these instructions :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Superuser-1.0.1.1.zip

Directions:

1) Download the above file
2) Connect your phone and copy them to your phone
3) Once they are copied power down your device
4) Hold volume up and power to enter recovery
5) Navigate recovery by using the volume keys and power to select
6) Choose install zip from sdcard, then pick internal or external (where you copied it to)
7) Scroll down to the Superuser.zip and select it to install

Congrats you are rooted! this procedure will work on any firmware update you guys get :)

With the SGS4 samsung has introduced a setuid kernel, which will block root access. you will need to flash a source compiled kernel in order to fully root.

Credits:
Members of the Official Unloved Devices Hit Squad (OUDHS) for being the best we can for those whom need us
garwynn for helping with setting up jflte-common stuff
MoHoGalore for testing so many times :)

Last edited:

harrybozack

Mar 5, 2007
Just successfully flashed OUDHS CWM-based Recovery 1.0.3.0 successfully...haven't tried much of the functionality until I fix my phone from the bootloop I put it in.

Something I did notice while navigating around the menu using my volume keys was that the screen was only refreshing every other keypress. I know that the state of the program was changing but the screen was only redrawing every other input.

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
Just successfully flashed OUDHS CWM-based Recovery 1.0.3.0 successfully...haven't tried much of the functionality until I fix my phone from the bootloop I put it in.

Something I did notice while navigating around the menu using my volume keys was that the screen was only refreshing every other keypress. I know that the state of the program was changing but the screen was only redrawing every other input.

yea was an issue on the note 2 at launch as well, they fixed it so i just gutta figure out how. mind testing twrp? :D

LG710S34LYFE

Aug 7, 2012
I had the same problem as the guy above and tried the test 3 tar and it fixes the screen but no touch function.

also just tried CWM recovery and it was only letting me go to every other selection then rebooted all on its own.

Last edited:

lafester

Feb 11, 2007
I had the same problem as the guy above and tried the test 3 tar and it fixes the screen but no touch function.

also just tried CWM recovery and it was only letting me go to every other selection then rebooted all on its own.

confirmed test 3 did not fix the touch screen issue. cwm will sometimes double click and is tricky to navigate with the graphics issue but functions normally otherwise. did a full wipe and restore booted fine both times with no permissions issues. this was garwyns version btw.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Shabbypenguin and the OUDHS
    presents to you

OUDHS Touch CWM-based Recovery 1.0.3.3
    for your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 4

Read this whole post before doing anything :)

Enjoy

OUDHS CWM-based Recovery 1.0.3.3
    Odin 3.04

Directions:

1) Download the above files
    2) Extract Odin3-3.04.zip and copy the tar that you downloaded into the folder
    3) Run Odin as an administrator
    4) Power your device off
    5) Press and hold volume down, home, and power to enter download mode
    6a) Connect your phone to your computer
    6b) Wait for drivers to finish installing if they need to be
    7) You should see Odin find your device by marking a blue square in the ID COM box
    8) Click on PDA and choose the recovery tar you downloaded
    9) Click start
    10) when it says finished you need to beat your phone in a race
    11) you need to unplug it and press and hold volume up and power until the blue text appears
    12) let go :p
    13 once you have booted into recovery it will handle the script that installs stock recovery if its present.

Congrats you now have CWM now if you wish to root youll need to follow these instructions :)

Superuser-1.0.1.1.zip

Directions:

1) Download the above file
    2) Connect your phone and copy them to your phone
    3) Once they are copied power down your device
    4) Hold volume up and power to enter recovery
    5) Navigate recovery by using the volume keys and power to select
    6) Choose install zip from sdcard, then pick internal or external (where you copied it to)
    7) Scroll down to the Superuser.zip and select it to install

Congrats you are rooted! this procedure will work on any firmware update you guys get :)

With the SGS4 samsung has introduced a setuid kernel, which will block root access. you will need to flash a source compiled kernel in order to fully root.

Credits:
    Members of the Official Unloved Devices Hit Squad (OUDHS) for being the best we can for those whom need us
    garwynn for helping with setting up jflte-common stuff
    MoHoGalore for testing so many times :)
    The recovery is also the kernel, correct? I've been flashing ROMs for about 4-5 years now so I do understand how it all works, hence my post count and join date on XDA.

No, the kernel is again part of the ROM, it's what controls the back-end of the Android Operating System, devices, cpu power, i/o, etc. This is flashed as a part of the ROM or you can get them separate, but they only affect the way the Android system works. It has nothing to do with Recovery. Recovery has it's own set of parameters on how it interacts with the device, and it only relies on power and a valid bootloader.

Recovery is booted from the bootloader of the device, it happens at a very low level, before any ROM, kernel or anything else is initialized.

The way most devices work... The board receives power, powers on the cpu, the internal memory, etc, and also the radio turns on, the radio is what initializes the bootloader, and then the bootloader loads what it's told to load. This could be the Android system, or recovery or download mode, or whatever else it's told to do. Depending on what button sequence you give it, tells it what mode you want it in.

You may be a long standing member, but your understanding of how things work isn't as good as you may think. I mean no disrespect or offense. I'm just stating fact and giving you the suggestion to wait until things are better developed.
    PM'd you the vendor files.

thanks, just looked didnt see teh files or anything close to them to what id need, so im gunna scan through the init files looking for teh touchscreen binaries.

also for anyone that wants to be rid of it:

# for LogMeIn
    mount ext4 /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system rw wait errors=panic remount

chown graphics /system/bin/RescueStarter
    chmod 0755 /system/bin/RescueStarter
    chown graphics /system/bin/RescueServer
    chmod 0755 /system/bin/RescueServer

mount ext4 /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system ro wait errors=panic remount

# for LogMeIn
    service RescueStarter /system/bin/RescueStarter
    class core
    user graphics
    group input graphics

its a service provided by sprint/logmein that they can remote to your device and assist you should you have problems, some people prefer things like this to be removed, so just fyi :)

(that was in one of the init scripts)
    ill be looking it over again tomorrow. for now im gunna go ahead and go spend a few mins with my wife before we sleep.
    would this require 'adbd insecure' and also is that the exact command to type or did you Que me to swap 'by-name' with a relevant bit of info?

4 years using android and still learning the basics. embarrassing lol

hey now, we all start somewhere. and no thats the direct path for you :)

adb insecure would make it easier, but i instead typed out adb shell and then su to get rooted shell :)