• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY][STABLE]Unoffical TWRP for Xiaomi Mi A3[laurel_sprout]

Search This thread
Jan 14, 2021
I just tried with "fastboot flash boot" and volume + during reboot without change :(

1610741978353.png

wetito

Dec 12, 2014
reggio emilia
Xiaomi Mi A3
I never saw anyone mention that TWRP does not work on XIAOMI MI A3 with Android 10. Also, in the official page at https://twrp.me/xiaomi/xiaomimia3.html it does not say ANYTHING that TWRP would only work on Android 9. This makes lots of people waste time trying to use TWRP, following tons of different tutorials online... just to discover at the end that TWRP does not work on ANDROID 10 and there is absolutely no warning in the official download page of TWRP specific for xiaomi mi a3? I cant believe this is right.

Also at https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a3/development/recovery-twrp-3-4-0-0-patched-boot-img-t4123287 there are download links to ANDROID 10 VERSION and none of them work!

So what is the truth?
Like you, i don't undsterstand how it's possible that an official version of twrp for mia3 don't work. And i don't have ever found an unique and clear installation guide... A lot of users brick the phone.... On twrp site there's a detailed guide... But... It's safe???

Jan 14, 2021
Oh, and I forgot... if you're still on Android 10 the TWRP I recommend, where everything works as it should, is the one built by @mauronofrio.

You can get it HERE.

This TWRP can be booted on inactive slot while on Android 11 as well, it just can't be permanently installed...don't know why...

Cheers!

I use this version and I have a boot on TWRP, now I need to install MIUI but it 's more complicated what I thing :(

Do you now if I can install my version from SDCard ?

Thanks a lot for all

@kitokit

Mar 15, 2017
How I can do this ?

Because when the phone is plugged on my laptop I can't transfert data, the phone is not accessible.

This is all my pb :

Hi, I have bricked my girlfriend's phone after an attempt to replace Android 10 to MIUI 12 Laurel Sprout.

- I have already unlock it with fastboot.
- I test to install TWRP Laurel Sprout with official version but after this the phone bootloop on fastboot without succes.

Now when I test to reinstall TWRP I have this error :

View attachment 5187755

I'm without solution to install TWRP or another recovery, after this I think it will be good.

Do you have some ideas ?

Thanks for you help and sorry for my english.
Have you tried the image above ? The one I posted? Otg , if you have a usb drive with a type c adapter, you can copy the files from there and plug it in your phone from their you can flash the installer, but first you have to boot twrp using fastboot command.

panos1205

Apr 25, 2013
Xiaomi Mi A3
Hi i Have MI A3 with android 11 official to my understanding if i want to install TWRP it will be only installed into the "inactive" slot . If i run twrp-3.3.1-17-laurel_sprout-Installer-mauronofrio.zip , it wiil brick my phone what's the proper procedure to install Lineage Os 18? Do i have to reinstall TWRP through fastboot on run twrp-3.3.1-17-laurel_sprout-Installer-mauronofrio.zip after installing custom ROM. Can you please point me to the right direction thank you.

Last edited:

Typhus_

Hi i Have MI A3 with android 11 official to my understanding if i want to install TWRP it will be only installed into the "inactive" slot . If i run twrp-3.3.1-17-laurel_sprout-Installer-mauronofrio.zip , it wiil brick my phone what's the proper procedure to install Lineage Os 18? Do i have to reinstall TWRP through fastboot on run twrp-3.3.1-17-laurel_sprout-Installer-mauronofrio.zip after installing custom ROM. Can you please point me to the right direction thank you.

For the time being, since you're on stock Android 11, you cannot install any ROM using TWRP or any Recovery for that matter. Besides, the only ROM, shared here on XDA, that can be installed, for now, it's Paranoid Android. And it's through ADB sideload.

Cheers.

srepole

Sep 25, 2018
@Typhus_
Hey, i tagged you cause seems you are experienced in custom recovery stuff.
Afaik if we were on Q there wouldn' t be issues using a custom recovery.
But if on stock R there aren' t, at least atm, working recovery.
So, what about official twrp 3.5.0_9-0, doesn' t work ? Or will we experience some issues using it ?
I searched for twrp info on telegram, i found a name recovery related, Vishal. Do you maybe know him or his nick here on xda ?
You know, i only got yesterday my second-hand laurelsprout, i' m trying to get as much info as i can :)

mirktamas

Dec 4, 2007
Hi everyone!

Anyone knows a safe way to downgrade to Android 10 and get permament TWRP?

Or is there a way to install twrp to Android 11?
I managed to install it temporarily only.
And wifi was not working at all.

I would like to use this phone for android auto, with screen2auto (requires root).

I don't care if it's android 10 or 11.

Thanks a lot!

Typhus_

Anyone knows a safe way to downgrade to Android 10 and get permament TWRP?

There isn't.

Or is there a way to install twrp to Android 11?

Not permanently, it's not.

I managed to install it temporarily only.
And wifi was not working at all.

You can't install it permanently, that's why.

I would like to use this phone for android auto, with screen2auto (requires root).

I don't care if it's android 10 or 11.

Thanks a lot!

You may root your device on Android 11 by flashing the Magisk patched boot.img that matches your current build or patch it yourself using TWRP or Magisk Manager.

I've explained everything about those two options HERE and HERE.

Cheers!

mirktamas

Dec 4, 2007
There isn't.

Not permanently, it's not.

You can't install it permanently, that's why.

You may root your device on Android 11 by flashing the Magisk patched boot.img that matches your current build or patch it yourself using TWRP or Magisk Manager.

I've explained everything about those two options HERE and HERE.

Cheers!
Thanks a LOT, very nicely written reply, appreciate it!

I already tried to patch stock boot.img myself on Android 11 (On V12.04) but Wifi failed turning on. (The rest was working perfectly fine.)

Is that issue on my side, or is it a general problem? (maybe wrong boot.img flash?)

I would be sad if there is no way to get root access with working wifi on Android 11.

Thanks again!

Typhus_

Thanks a LOT, very nicely written reply, appreciate it!

I already tried to patch stock boot.img myself on Android 11 (On V12.04) but Wifi failed turning on. (The rest was working perfectly fine.)

Is that issue on my side, or is it a general problem? (maybe wrong boot.img flash?)

I would be sad if there is no way to get root access with working wifi on Android 11.

Thanks again!
It works on Android 11.

If BT or WiFi fails after flashing boot it's because the wrong boot.img was used.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
     */

Whats Working?
    Everything is working
    Can change Slot A/Slot B on twrp
    SDcard and OTG working
    Decryption of Data working
    Flashing of roms work pie and even Q roms work.

HOW TO UPDATE a ROM and Keep TWRP and ROOT:
    Before all Disable all magisk modules for boths methods

- Put rom.zip, twrp installer.zip and magisk.zip on your internal storage or sdcard;
    - Flash Rom;
    - Flash TWRP Installer;
    - Flash magisk(recommend to use Magisk v19.4);
    - Reboot.

Download:
    TWRP 3.3.1-2 Unofficial Installer by Nikesh Kataria
    TWRP 3.3.1-2 Unofficial by Nikesh Kataria

Donations:

Credits:

Thanks to @mauronofrio for a great help to make a stable recovery
    Thanks to @Typhus_ for hardcore testing
    Thanks to @prakash78 for testing

Contributors
    Nik001
    Source Code: https://github.com/Nikesh001/android_device_xiaomi_laurel_sprout-twrp

Version Information

Created 2019-10-21
    Proper install method explained

Hello!

Please, @Nik001, update the OP with the install method that I'm going to describe next, ok?

It's just to avoid future complications (lost of Wi-Fi, sound, etc...) for "not that experienced users".

1. Your bootloader must be unlocked. If it's not, then follow step 1 of the instructions provided HERE.
    2. Download TWRP zip file and copy it to your device (internal or external storage)
    3. Download TWRP img file and and store it, on the folder where you have adb and fastboot files, on your PC
    4. Open a cmd line and execute these commands (being on that folder, of course):
      adb devices (to make sure your device is detected)
      adb reboot bootloader (to reboot into fastboot mode)
      fastboot getvar current-slot (to check what's your current active slot)
      fastboot set_active b (if your active slot was a, if it was b then change it to a)
      fastboot erase boot
      fastboot flash boot twrp-3.3.1-2-unofficial-laurel_sprout.img
      fastboot reboot (NOTE : Before hitting "Enter", long press Vol + on your device until you see the Android One logo. By doing this your device will be forced to boot into Recovery and not into System)
    5. When TWRP recovery boots, if you have a stock boot.img that matches the build on this "currently active" slot, flash it into boot partition. If you don't have, then just ignore this step...(it's not mandatory)
    6. Install the TWRP zip (always install the latest build available)
    7. Change slot to the one that was active on the beginning of these steps and reboot to Recovery (just to make sure that the slot, in fact, was changed)
    8. Reboot to System

Why do I suggest this?

By doing this method (which seems more complicated but, trust me, it's how it should be done) we will flash TWRP img into the "inactive" slot, thus, not breaking anything on the "currently active" slot. When TWRP boots, it will patch both slots boot ramdisks. But the thing is, on the "currently active" slot (the one inactive on the beginning) it will patch the TWRP img but, on the "currently inactive" slot (the one that was active on the beginning), it will patch the stock boot.img, thus, no bug will happen that usually appears when a user accidentally flashes the wrong boot.img into boot partition.

On the other hand, if we have a stock boot.img, that matches the build on the "inactive" slot, we could flash it into boot partition before installing the zip that patches ramdisk. By doing this we will patch both stock boot.img present on both slots (instead of patching TWRP img and boot.img).

Cheers!
    This man -> @Nik001 deserves a beer!!!

Thank you for delivering us a fully working TWRP for laurel_sprout!

Cheers!