• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY][TB-X505F][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP 3.5.x for Lenovo Tab M10 HD

Search This thread

Hipijs1201

Oct 14, 2016
Hello.
I have been putting custom roms on android forever :D, but this was my first time trying GSI and of course the first time when I`m stuck! TWRP is working, but I can't flash a rom, GSI didn`t work out and none of "stock rom" works either.
I`m just hoping maybe someone has some image of what I can try to flash or have been in a similar situation and know how to get out of it.
Any other ideas are welcome too.
Thanks.

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle
Hello.
I have been putting custom roms on android forever :D, but this was my first time trying GSI and of course the first time when I`m stuck! TWRP is working, but I can't flash a rom, GSI didn`t work out and none of "stock rom" works either.
I`m just hoping maybe someone has some image of what I can try to flash or have been in a similar situation and know how to get out of it.
Any other ideas are welcome too.
Thanks.
If you don't have a backup, you can rescue your tablet using Lenovo's LMSA tool.

hfreuven

Apr 15, 2015
This version of TWRP works on the Lenovo TB-X505F (wifi).

For the TB-X505X, see this thread. For the TB-X605F/L, see this thread.

For the TB-X606F/L, see this thread. The X606F/L is the second gen M10 and it uses a Mediatek SOC.

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
*/

Working:
AFAIK, everything is working including:
  • data decryption
  • MTP

Known issues:
  • time not adjusting for Daylight Saving
  • OTA (for a workaround see this post)

Installation
It is recommended that you also install Magisk. This will ensure TWRP remains your default recovery.

Step-by-step guide

1. download TWRP to your PC (see the Download section below)
  2. download magisk.apk to your MicroSD or OTG device. Get the latest Magisk apk file here. Rename the filetype from apk to zip (for example Magisk-v22.0.zip)
  3. if your bootloader is already unlocked, go to step 4. To unlock bootloader:
    • on tablet: go to Settings->System->About and press "Build number" 7 times to enable Developer Options.
    • on tablet: go to Settings->System->DeveloperOptions. Turn on: "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging".
    • connect tablet to your computer. Tablet will ask for permission to "Allow USB debugging". Tick "always allow" and select "OK".
    • backup any files you want to keep to an external device (MicroSD/OTG/computer), because the next step will wipe all your photos, files, google account etc on the tablet.
    • Now unlock the bootloader:
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      fastboot oem unlock-go
      fastboot reboot
  4. flash the twrp image:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
  5. if you haven't loaded Magisk yet, go to step 6. If you have already loaded Magisk, you can just reboot and you're finished:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    adb reboot recovery
  6. load Magisk (step one): reboot to recovery. Do not reboot into the system, because it will over-write TWRP with stock recovery. If that happens, go back to step 4 and start again. When you issue the reboot command (below), you have to immediately press the button combination to reboot to recovery (TWRP). Here are the steps:
    • issue the reboot command:
      Code:
      fastboot reboot
    • immediately press and hold all three buttons (Pwr+VolUp+VolDown). The tablet might reboot twice. Release all the buttons when you see the TWRP screen, or hear your PC acknowledge that ADB is connected.
  7. load Magisk (step two): flash Magisk. In TWRP:
    • select "Install"
    • use "select storage" to locate device you stored magisk.zip on.
    • press the OK button
    • select the Magisk zip file
    • swipe to confirm Flash
    • when Magisk is finished, hit the "Reboot System" button
  8. finished!

If you prefer to use button combos, rather than fastboot/ADB commands:
  • Vol Down + Power = fastboot mode
  • Vol Up + Vol Down + Power = recovery mode

Changelog
Code:
27/03/2021 - TWRP 3.5.1-0 update
           - change to landscape mode for tablets

01/01/2021 - TWRP 3.5.0-0: initial release

Downloads

Source code

Credits
The guys at TeamWin Recovery Project.
Everyone whose device trees I plagiarised from GitHub.

Contributors
Yahoo Mike

Created 2021-01-01
Last Updated 2021-04-04 (added link to workaround for OTAs)
hi, thanks.
i did like the guide says
i 'v got an error
failed to mount /sdcard no such file or diretrory SDCARD_ROOT not mounted
any idea?
any gsi rom for the x505f?
thank you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This version of TWRP works on the Lenovo TB-X505F (wifi).

For the TB-X505X, see this thread. For the TB-X605F/L, see this thread.

For the TB-X606F/L, see this thread. The X606F/L is the second gen M10 and it uses a Mediatek SOC.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
    */

Working:
    AFAIK, everything is working including:
    • data decryption
    • MTP

Known issues:
    • time not adjusting for Daylight Saving
    • OTA (for a workaround see this post)

Installation
    It is recommended that you also install Magisk. This will ensure TWRP remains your default recovery.

Step-by-step guide

1. download TWRP to your PC (see the Download section below)
    2. download magisk.apk to your MicroSD or OTG device. Get the latest Magisk apk file here. Rename the filetype from apk to zip (for example Magisk-v22.0.zip)
    3. if your bootloader is already unlocked, go to step 4. To unlock bootloader:
      • on tablet: go to Settings->System->About and press "Build number" 7 times to enable Developer Options.
      • on tablet: go to Settings->System->DeveloperOptions. Turn on: "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging".
      • connect tablet to your computer. Tablet will ask for permission to "Allow USB debugging". Tick "always allow" and select "OK".
      • backup any files you want to keep to an external device (MicroSD/OTG/computer), because the next step will wipe all your photos, files, google account etc on the tablet.
      • Now unlock the bootloader:
        Code:
        adb reboot bootloader
        fastboot oem unlock-go
        fastboot reboot
    4. flash the twrp image:
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    5. if you haven't loaded Magisk yet, go to step 6. If you have already loaded Magisk, you can just reboot and you're finished:
      Code:
      fastboot reboot
      adb reboot recovery
    6. load Magisk (step one): reboot to recovery. Do not reboot into the system, because it will over-write TWRP with stock recovery. If that happens, go back to step 4 and start again. When you issue the reboot command (below), you have to immediately press the button combination to reboot to recovery (TWRP). Here are the steps:
      • issue the reboot command:
        Code:
        fastboot reboot
      • immediately press and hold all three buttons (Pwr+VolUp+VolDown). The tablet might reboot twice. Release all the buttons when you see the TWRP screen, or hear your PC acknowledge that ADB is connected.
    7. load Magisk (step two): flash Magisk. In TWRP:
      • select "Install"
      • use "select storage" to locate device you stored magisk.zip on.
      • press the OK button
      • select the Magisk zip file
      • swipe to confirm Flash
      • when Magisk is finished, hit the "Reboot System" button
    8. finished!

If you prefer to use button combos, rather than fastboot/ADB commands:
    • Vol Down + Power = fastboot mode
    • Vol Up + Vol Down + Power = recovery mode

Changelog
    Code:
    27/03/2021 - TWRP 3.5.1-0 update
               - change to landscape mode for tablets

01/01/2021 - TWRP 3.5.0-0: initial release

Downloads

Source code

Credits
    The guys at TeamWin Recovery Project.
    Everyone whose device trees I plagiarised from GitHub.

Contributors
    Yahoo Mike

Created 2021-01-01
    Last Updated 2021-04-04 (added link to workaround for OTAs)
    This worked for me. Thank you for your effort and the TWRP!
    Worked for me too - many thanks!
    Can't wait for a custom ROM!

TWRP Recovery Installation Steps
    1. Download android platform tools
    2. Unlock developer mode on the M10
    3. Enable USB debugging on the M10
    3. OEM unlock enable on the M10
    4. XDA download TWRP copy to sd
    5. Download Magisk app (from Github!!! johnwu), change extension to .zip
    6. Adb to fastboot
    7. fastboot flash recovery [filename.img]
    8. Turn off device
    9. Turn on device holding all 3 buttons, release when see Lenovo splash screen
    10. In TWRP find Magisk zip
    11. Install Magisk

Stock ROM Recovery
    1. Download qualcomm drivers 64 bit install
    2. Download Lenovo recovery and image tool windows app from Lenovo support website
    3. Fastboot oem edl
    4. Turn off M10
    5. Start recovery windows app, wait till instructions
    6. Hold volume up (up is the side of the button closest to the front camera) and insert cable
    7. Release button after windows app detects device
    8. Troubleshoot by checking windows device manager for the M10 appears as a Qualcomm device
    I can partly answer my own question. It all went more smoothly than I expected: installing TWRP, Magisk and then LineageOS R Mod //LiR, followed by Disable_Dm-Verity_enfec.zip.

If I want to try other GSI ROMs, do I need to flash stock before trying another one? I've had some trouble doing that (won't boot) and it's possibly to do with encryption.
    I was able to try a couple of other GSI ROMs and I've settled on AndyYan's LineageOS 17.1 for now. The only serious installation issue I had - which I can laugh about in hindsight - was thinking I'd got myself into a very bad bootloop, when all I needed to do was let go of the power button after the Lenovo logo appeared. :)

On this tablet, there is no navigation capability at all (no navbar, no gestures, no setting to configure them) on installation, and I have to set it using adb. I suspect it goes back to PHH basic ROMs, but I don't feel like doing yet another install and testing right at this moment. Is this happening on the other tablets that you're testing, or is it unique to this one?