[RECOVERY][TB-X505F][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP 3.6.x for Lenovo Tab M10 HD

Search This thread

Hipijs1201

Oct 14, 2016
Hello.
I have been putting custom roms on android forever :D, but this was my first time trying GSI and of course the first time when I`m stuck! TWRP is working, but I can't flash a rom, GSI didn`t work out and none of "stock rom" works either.
I`m just hoping maybe someone has some image of what I can try to flash or have been in a similar situation and know how to get out of it.
Any other ideas are welcome too.
Thanks.

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Tamworth
Hello.
I have been putting custom roms on android forever :D, but this was my first time trying GSI and of course the first time when I`m stuck! TWRP is working, but I can't flash a rom, GSI didn`t work out and none of "stock rom" works either.
I`m just hoping maybe someone has some image of what I can try to flash or have been in a similar situation and know how to get out of it.
Any other ideas are welcome too.
Thanks.
If you don't have a backup, you can rescue your tablet using Lenovo's LMSA tool.

hfreuven

Apr 15, 2015
This version of TWRP works on the Lenovo TB-X505F (wifi).

For the TB-X505X, see this thread. For the TB-X605F/L, see this thread.

For the TB-X606F/L, see this thread. The X606F/L is the second gen M10 and it uses a Mediatek SOC.

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
*/

Working:
AFAIK, everything is working including:
  • data decryption
  • MTP

Known issues:
  • time not adjusting for Daylight Saving
  • OTA (for a workaround see this post)

Installation
It is recommended that you also install Magisk. This will ensure TWRP remains your default recovery.

Step-by-step guide

1. download TWRP to your PC (see the Download section below)
  2. download magisk.apk to your MicroSD or OTG device. Get the latest Magisk apk file here. Rename the filetype from apk to zip (for example Magisk-v22.0.zip)
  3. if your bootloader is already unlocked, go to step 4. To unlock bootloader:
    • on tablet: go to Settings->System->About and press "Build number" 7 times to enable Developer Options.
    • on tablet: go to Settings->System->DeveloperOptions. Turn on: "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging".
    • connect tablet to your computer. Tablet will ask for permission to "Allow USB debugging". Tick "always allow" and select "OK".
    • backup any files you want to keep to an external device (MicroSD/OTG/computer), because the next step will wipe all your photos, files, google account etc on the tablet.
    • Now unlock the bootloader:
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      fastboot oem unlock-go
      fastboot reboot
  4. flash the twrp image:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
  5. if you haven't loaded Magisk yet, go to step 6. If you have already loaded Magisk, you can just reboot and you're finished:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    adb reboot recovery
  6. load Magisk (step one): reboot to recovery. Do not reboot into the system, because it will over-write TWRP with stock recovery. If that happens, go back to step 4 and start again. When you issue the reboot command (below), you have to immediately press the button combination to reboot to recovery (TWRP). Here are the steps:
    • issue the reboot command:
      Code:
      fastboot reboot
    • immediately press and hold all three buttons (Pwr+VolUp+VolDown). The tablet might reboot twice. Release all the buttons when you see the TWRP screen, or hear your PC acknowledge that ADB is connected.
  7. load Magisk (step two): flash Magisk. In TWRP:
    • select "Install"
    • use "select storage" to locate device you stored magisk.zip on.
    • press the OK button
    • select the Magisk zip file
    • swipe to confirm Flash
    • when Magisk is finished, hit the "Reboot System" button
  8. finished!

If you prefer to use button combos, rather than fastboot/ADB commands:
  • Vol Down + Power = fastboot mode
  • Vol Up + Vol Down + Power = recovery mode

Changelog
Code:
27/03/2021 - TWRP 3.5.1-0 update
           - change to landscape mode for tablets

01/01/2021 - TWRP 3.5.0-0: initial release

Downloads

Source code

Credits
The guys at TeamWin Recovery Project.
Everyone whose device trees I plagiarised from GitHub.

Contributors
Yahoo Mike

Created 2021-01-01
Last Updated 2021-04-04 (added link to workaround for OTAs)
hi, thanks.
i did like the guide says
i 'v got an error
failed to mount /sdcard no such file or diretrory SDCARD_ROOT not mounted
any idea?
any gsi rom for the x505f?
thank you

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Tamworth
i 'v got an error
failed to mount /sdcard no such file or diretrory SDCARD_ROOT not mounted
any idea?
Might be the format of the sdcard. How is it formatted? Try reformatting with a different format type. Either NTFS or exFAT should work.

Also re-seat the sdcard. It might be misaligned.

Or try another sdcard - maybe the card is faulty.

verspax

Jan 17, 2014
I just posted the v3.5.1 update to twrp.

It's also changed to landscape mode, as many of you requested.

Thank you at all for work.

Unfortunately, this TWRP 3.5.1-0 doesn't work anymore on latest stock update TB-X505F_S001142_210804 and some below versions too (flash tried before and after update).

After fastboot oem unlock-go successfuly, I followed all @beamingbadger steps and all is okay to this stage:
Sending 'recovery' (31830 KB) OKAY [1.016s]
Writing 'recovery' OKAY [0.355s]

But fail: auto reboot on system after fastboot reboot recovery. And via holding all 3 buttons and release on Lenovo splash screen, I get the stock recovery :unsure:
No way to solves this issue.

Update is planned?

Thanks for help.

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Tamworth
Unfortunately, this TWRP 3.5.1-0 doesn't work anymore on latest stock update TB-X505F_S001142_210804 and some below versions too (flash tried before and after update).
It works. I just re-tested it.
But fail: auto reboot on system after fastboot reboot recovery. And via holding all 3 buttons and release on Lenovo splash screen, I get the stock recovery :unsure:
No way to solves this issue.
fastboot reboot recovery has never worked on these devices.

Make sure you are not rebooting into Android after you flash twrp. Unrooted Android will re-install stock recovery (and delete twrp). If you accidently reboot to Android before installing Magisk, then you'll have to reflash twrp and try again.

I know the 3-button reboot is tricky. But keep trying and you'll get the hang of it.

It's probably time for an update - especially with A12 GSIs coming out. I'll have a look this weekend.

Reactions: verspax and Heeni

verspax

Jan 17, 2014
It works. I just re-tested it.

fastboot reboot recovery has never worked on these devices.

Make sure you are not rebooting into Android after you flash twrp. Unrooted Android will re-install stock recovery (and delete twrp). If you accidently reboot to Android before installing Magisk, then you'll have to reflash twrp and try again.

I know the 3-button reboot is tricky. But keep trying and you'll get the hang of it.

It's probably time for an update - especially with A12 GSIs coming out. I'll have a look this weekend.

Okay, I will try again (and again) with hardware buttons only.
I had no idea that fastboot reboot recovery doesn't work on these devices, specially when it has always worked on all the others (many times, including another tablet model of the same brand). Thanks for the warning; I could have spent many time to trying this again for nothing! :confused:

Thank you! (y)
> And thanks again for update!

Reactions: Yahoo Mike

tunaable

Dec 20, 2021
Hi all im trying install TWRP but something is wrong...
I download platform-tools for adb ...

After i type adb reboot bootloader my lenovo reboot to fastboot and after that i type fastboot flash recovery twrp.img and i get < waiting for any device > ???

"
C:\adb>adb reboot bootloader
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully

C:\adb>fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
< waiting for any device >

"
*** All good now i install the usb drivers on device manager (windows 10) and all working perfect. ***

Thanks for the great work.

Last edited:

The Jack of Clubs

Jan 28, 2007
Houston
Yall running android 12? how and how does it run? id be fine with android 10, but lenovo thought to replace the multitasker and it only works right if you use the stock launcher. i have to have a gesture to get it working with nova.

Einheit-101

Jul 4, 2013
The tablet booted fine exactly once with Magisk and TWRP and after that it refuses to boot anymore and instead directly boots into fastboot. My guess is Magisk ****ing things up again, as usual.

Lenovo Rescue Assistant recovered the device, i will now try again and reboot multiple times to see what exactly crashed the tablet.

Last edited:

C0rv1da3

Feb 1, 2022
Hey All,

So i've just got one of these tablets and have spent a couple of days trying to root it now, is there any updates or new threads/solutions out there for this yet please?

EDIT: Resolved.

Used the hardware buttons to boot into recovery and everything was golden from there :D

Last edited:

ae01

Jun 7, 2008
hey
i able to install the twrp latest image .but i canot reboot into twrp.
i tried the 3 key together methhod, but it keeps restarting.
any idea what to do?
thanks.
"solved" i was able to load the twrp.
after installation from cmd line, i had to take out the usb cable, and then press the 3 buttons.
but now it is booting to twrp only, even after i wipe the system, it is still booting only to the twrp.
is there any twrp rom i can try to install? i couldnt find any.
please help!

Last edited:

hfreuven

Apr 15, 2015
hey
any idea what to do?
thanks.
after installation from cmd line, i had to take out the usb cable, and then press the 3 buttons.
but now it is booting to twrp only, even after i wipe the system, it is still booting only to the twrp.
please help!
hi,
i had the same problem, fixed by flashing also the boot not only the recovery.
fastboot flash boot twrp.img
work for me
p.s
be sure that you flash the correct system.img (i used Havoc-OS-v2.5-20190527-vvBuild-phhgsi_arm64_ab.img - work perfect)

Reactions: Yahoo Mike and ae01

ae01

Jun 7, 2008
the solution with the lmsa worked!
the lmsa unbricked my device, then i flashed the twrp , flashed the magisk , and then the tablet booted rooted.
thanks a lot yahoo mike.

eddygeek

Feb 27, 2013
An important step to unlock bootloader is to update to Pie, otherwise I get

Code:
> fastboot oem unlock-go
FAILED (remote: 'unknown command')
fastboot: error: Command failed

source: https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-unlock-root-lenovo-smart-tab-p10-tb-x705f-by-chaser42.3956198/ ( found via https://forums.ubports.com/post/55899 )

NOTE THAT THIS GUIDE IS ONLY APPLICABLE IF YOUR DEVICE IS RUNNING ANDROID 9.0 (PIE). If your device shipped with Android 8.0 (Oreo), you must upgrade because the Oreo bootloader does not allow a permanent unlock.

@Yahoo Mike can you update the first post?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This version of TWRP works on the Lenovo TB-X505F (wifi).

For the TB-X505X, see this thread. For the TB-X605F/L, see this thread.

For the TB-X606F/L, see this thread. The X606F/L is the second gen M10 and it uses a Mediatek SOC.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
    */

Working:
    AFAIK, everything is working including:
    • data decryption
    • MTP

Known issues:
    • time not adjusting for Daylight Saving
    • OTA (for a workaround see this post)

Before installing TWRP
    Before you install TWRP, upgrade your tablet to the Android 9 (Pie) or Android 10 (Q) stock ROM.

This tablet shipped with Android 8 (Oreo), in which the bootloader did not allow unlocking. When you tried to unlock the bootloader, it gave this error message:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock-go
    FAILED (remote: 'unknown command')
    fastboot: error: Command failed

Installation
    It is recommended that you also install Magisk. This will ensure TWRP remains your default recovery.

Step-by-step guide

1. download TWRP to your PC (see the Download section below)
    2. download magisk.apk to your MicroSD or OTG device. Get the latest Magisk apk file here. Rename the filetype from apk to zip (for example Magisk-v22.0.zip)
    3. if your bootloader is already unlocked, go to step 4. To unlock bootloader:
      • on tablet: go to Settings->System->About and press "Build number" 7 times to enable Developer Options.
      • on tablet: go to Settings->System->DeveloperOptions. Turn on: "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging".
      • connect tablet to your computer. Tablet will ask for permission to "Allow USB debugging". Tick "always allow" and select "OK".
      • backup any files you want to keep to an external device (MicroSD/OTG/computer), because the next step will wipe all your photos, files, google account etc on the tablet.
      • Now unlock the bootloader:
        Code:
        adb reboot bootloader
        fastboot oem unlock-go
        fastboot reboot
    4. flash the twrp image:
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    5. if you haven't loaded Magisk yet, go to step 6. If you have already loaded Magisk, you can just reboot and you're finished:
      Code:
      fastboot reboot
      adb reboot recovery
    6. load Magisk (step one): reboot to recovery. Do not reboot into the system, because it will over-write TWRP with stock recovery. If that happens, go back to step 4 and start again. When you issue the reboot command (below), you have to immediately press the button combination to reboot to recovery (TWRP). Here are the steps:
      • issue the reboot command:
        Code:
        fastboot reboot
      • immediately press and hold all three buttons (Pwr+VolUp+VolDown). The tablet might reboot twice. Release all the buttons when you see the TWRP screen, or hear your PC acknowledge that ADB is connected.
    7. load Magisk (step two): flash Magisk. In TWRP:
      • select "Install"
      • use "select storage" to locate device you stored magisk.zip on.
      • press the OK button
      • select the Magisk zip file
      • swipe to confirm Flash
      • when Magisk is finished, hit the "Reboot System" button
    8. finished!

If you prefer to use button combos, rather than fastboot/ADB commands:
    • Vol Down + Power = fastboot mode
    • Vol Up + Vol Down + Power = recovery mode

Changelog
    Code:
    01/03/2023 - bug fix: data partition again backs up and restores correctly

20/01/2023 - add TW_EXTRA_LANGUAGES and TB_X505F_S001149_221115_ROW kernel (credit to @Tonyha7 )

30/12/2022 - add system partition to AdvancedWipe (TB_X505F_S001147_220830_ROW firmware only)

15/11/2022 - TWRP 3.7.0-0 update
               - support for TB_X505F_S001147_220830_ROW

18/12/2021 - TWRP 3.6.0-0 update
               - support for A12 decryption (keymaster)

27/03/2021 - TWRP 3.5.1-0 update
               - change to landscape mode for tablets

01/01/2021 - TWRP 3.5.0-0: initial release

Downloads

Source code

Credits
    The guys at TeamWin Recovery Project.
    Everyone whose device trees I plagiarised from GitHub.

Contributors
    Yahoo Mike
    Tonyha7

Last Updated 2023-03-01 (fix /data backup/restore)
    Created 2021-01-01
    I've updated the OP with a new version of twrp (v3.7.0). The new version will work with recent update (TB_X505F_S001147_220830_ROW). Thanks to @Roobeedoo , @SpaceCats and @uschipower for reporting the problem and testing this new version.

The fix was a simple one. I just needed to update twrp with the kernel from TB_X505F_S001147_220830_ROW.

In case this new twrp doesn't work with old versions of the stock ROM, I've put a link to the old twrp in the OP too.
    There's a new image on the OP: twrp-X505F_11.img. It is version 3.6.0.

This image should be compatible with Android 12. I haven't tested it on A12, only on stock ROM (A10). Let me know if there are any issues.
    hey
    any idea what to do?
    thanks.
    please help!
    hi,
    i had the same problem, fixed by flashing also the boot not only the recovery.
    fastboot flash boot twrp.img
    work for me
    p.s
    be sure that you flash the correct system.img (i used Havoc-OS-v2.5-20190527-vvBuild-phhgsi_arm64_ab.img - work perfect)
    Worked for me too - many thanks!
    Can't wait for a custom ROM!

TWRP Recovery Installation Steps
    1. Download android platform tools
    2. Unlock developer mode on the M10
    3. Enable USB debugging on the M10
    3. OEM unlock enable on the M10
    4. XDA download TWRP copy to sd
    5. Download Magisk app (from Github!!! johnwu), change extension to .zip
    6. Adb to fastboot
    7. fastboot flash recovery [filename.img]
    8. Turn off device
    9. Turn on device holding all 3 buttons, release when see Lenovo splash screen
    10. In TWRP find Magisk zip
    11. Install Magisk

Stock ROM Recovery
    1. Download qualcomm drivers 64 bit install
    2. Download Lenovo recovery and image tool windows app from Lenovo support website
    3. Fastboot oem edl
    4. Turn off M10
    5. Start recovery windows app, wait till instructions
    6. Hold volume up (up is the side of the button closest to the front camera) and insert cable
    7. Release button after windows app detects device
    8. Troubleshoot by checking windows device manager for the M10 appears as a Qualcomm device