[RECOVERY][TB-X606F/TB-X606FA][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP 3.5.x for Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus

Search This thread

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Hello! I need a bit of help... I have a TB-606F, 4GB/64GB version

I'm stuck on step 5. I've unlocked the bootloader, flashing TWRP and vbmeta seems successful, but then I cannot reboot into recovery. Using the fastboot reboot command I get "fastboot: usage: unknown reboot target recovery". If I try to reboot using volume up + volume down + power it eventually boots to Android.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!
How are you flashing the vbmeta? And where are you getting it from? I flashed with this:

fastboot --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img

then rebooted to recovery:

fastboot reboot recovery

It seems to take forever once you're in recovery to actually boot TWRP, so just keep pressing the power button until you see something. There's also the key combination (which I honestly can't remember right now) which should 100% drop you into recovery.

ThePaxinox

Mar 1, 2021
This version of TWRP works on the Lenovo TB-X606FA and TB-X606F. It might also work on the other variants of TB-X606.

Warning: this TWRP will not work for any of the Tab M10 variants with Qualcomm SOCs. For the TB-X505F, see this thread. For the TB-X605F/L, see this thread.

Installation
It is recommended that you also install Magisk. This will ensure TWRP remains your default recovery.

Step-by-step guide

Hey @Yahoo Mike, Thanks for this guide!

I successfully rooted my Lenovo TB-X606F with these steps,
and to answer your question through this guide, this was my output from the adb shell commands:

Code:
adb shell getprop ro.hardware
mt8768

adb shell getprop ro.boot.hardware
mt8768

I have a couple of issues:

1) After installing Magisk from TWRP the app wasnt visible inside the OS, so I manually installed it. The problem though was that it shows "Update"-button, and when I click it, it fails during install. I first tried the 21.4 version, then the 22.0 version. With 22.0 version it shows "Install" instead of "Update", both fails with same error:
Screenshot_2021-03-04-01-28-57-937.jpg

2) Magisk seems to work fine despite this, and I tried some modules which also worked. A few gave me error like this:

Screenshot_2021-03-04-01-58-10-295.jpeg

3) My reason for rooting this is mainly so I can do Android 10 app Service in background and bypass the latest Google policy. Anyone know how?

1614938949052.png

4) What other modules / storelibrary app should I use with my rooted Lenovo tab? Anything that is recommended?

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle
Using the fastboot reboot command I get "fastboot: usage: unknown reboot target recovery".
Make sure you have the latest version of fastboot.

If that doesn't fix it, it looks like the Android bootloader is old. Are you using the latest version of Stock ROM?

If I try to reboot using volume up + volume down + power it eventually boots to Android.
That's the correct button combo for recovery. It can be tricky to get the timing right.

All three buttons must be pressed before the tablet reboots. About 3 secs after the Lenovo logo appears, you can release the power button, but keep pressing the volume buttons.

Keep trying. It should work.

Reactions: Heeni

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle
fastboot reboot recovery

It seems to take forever once you're in recovery to actually boot TWRP, so just keep pressing the power button until you see something.
@ldeveraux are you using the latest version of TWRP? The screen will be blank for a few seconds while /data is decrypted. But then TWRP should appear without pressing the power button.

I couldn't find out why the TWRP splash screen is blank. If anyone can work it out, send a pull request to the github repo.

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle
I have a couple of issues:

1) After installing Magisk from TWRP the app wasnt visible inside the OS, so I manually installed it. The problem though was that it shows "Update"-button, and when I click it, it fails during install. I first tried the 21.4 version, then the 22.0 version. With 22.0 version it shows "Install" instead of "Update", both fails with same error...
Great to see that this TWRP also works with the TB-X606F (EEA).

It looks like Magisk is failing to load the /boot partition as read-write. I'm getting the same error when I try to update Magisk from v21.4 to v22 using the new v22 Magisk App.

I'm guessing it could be a dm-verity issue. I also noticed that the "Preserve dm-verity"' option is gone in the installation procedure. There's only "preserve force encryption".

I don't have time to play with this now, but you could try installing the Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip (created by Zackptg5). If you want your data partition encrypted, then rename the zip file to Disable_Dm-Verity_enfec.zip
  • boot to TWRP
  • backup /boot /system and /vendor
  • install the disable_dm-verity* zip file
  • boot to Android and try to upgrade Magisk again.
Let us know if that works.

Reactions: ThePaxinox

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
@ldeveraux are you using the latest version of TWRP? The screen will be blank for a few seconds while /data is decrypted. But then TWRP should appear without pressing the power button.

I couldn't find out why the TWRP splash screen is blank. If anyone can work it out, send a pull request to the github repo.
Yes, there were only 2 versions right? I'm using the latest for sure. Once the tab reboots, takes a good 30 seconds before TWRP pops up. You're right, I think it does pop up without pressing the power button, but I get impatient ;)

snickle

Sep 6, 2009
I redownloaded the fie from the first post and still have to hit power a few times to get twrp screen. Is there an updated link somewhere?

Last edited:

ThePaxinox

Mar 1, 2021
Great to see that this TWRP also works with the TB-X606F (EEA).

It looks like Magisk is failing to load the /boot partition as read-write. I'm getting the same error when I try to update Magisk from v21.4 to v22 using the new v22 Magisk App.

I'm guessing it could be a dm-verity issue. I also noticed that the "Preserve dm-verity"' option is gone in the installation procedure. There's only "preserve force encryption".

I don't have time to play with this now, but you could try installing the Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip (created by Zackptg5). If you want your data partition encrypted, then rename the zip file to Disable_Dm-Verity_enfec.zip
  • boot to TWRP
  • backup /boot /system and /vendor
  • install the disable_dm-verity* zip file
  • boot to Android and try to upgrade Magisk again.
Let us know if that works.

Hey, I tried disable_dm-verity_Forceencrypt several times, it boots past the "animation"-sequence but hangs at the static Lenovo-logo.

I restore the backup and it works fine again,

I tried with only disable_dm-verity, and that runs through without problems, but Im not seeing a difference..

It seems that to be able to use Disable_ForceEncrypt you would have to format the tablet and do this before flashing TWRP, seeing as its encrypted right now..

Is there a library-app of sorts similar to Google Play but for rooted devices? Like something bigger than the modules in Magisk I can have a look at? :) (been away from the scene for 5+ years now)

Reactions: Yahoo Mike

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle

I'm guessing it could be a dm-verity issue....
Hey, I tried disable_dm-verity_Forceencrypt several times, it boots past the "animation"-sequence but hangs at the static Lenovo-logo.
I tried with only disable_dm-verity, and that runs through without problems, but Im not seeing a difference..
I successfully upgraded to v22 by pushing the new Magisk-v22.0.apk to my sdcard and renaming the file Magisk-v22.0.zip. Then install the zip file in TWRP. Reboot and you have the latest Magisk version.

Hopefully the next Magisk update will work from the app. We'll have to wait and see...

snickle

Sep 6, 2009
Is there an updated link for the version that does not require hitting power button? I redownloaded from the first post and still have issue.

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle
I've loaded a new version of TWRP in the OP.

It includes the incremental TWRP release 3.5.1.

It also displays the splash screen on boot. The solution was to cherrypick update 1995 from the android-9.0 branch. I'll ask the TeamWin guys to merge that update into the android-10.0 branch too.

...and due to popular demand, the orientation has been changed to landscape.

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
I've loaded a new version of TWRP in the OP.

It includes the incremental TWRP release 3.5.1.

It also displays the splash screen on boot. The solution was to cherrypick update 1995 from the android-9.0 branch. I'll ask the TeamWin guys to merge that update into the android-10.0 branch too.

...and due to popular demand, the orientation has been changed to landscape.

This is mostly perfect, but I somehow lost access to external SD card in TWRP. I followed the commands from the OP to update from bootloader:
fastboot flash recovery twrp_X606FA_10.img
fastboot reboot recovery

Tigerevo

Mar 14, 2011
Hi I need your help Mike. Just got the 606f for my brother . I folllowed some root guides in xda and did manage to get the bootloader unlocked how ever it was boot looping said it was in orange mode . I tried to flash through sp flash tool I got 2 success.. Well it kept bootlooping finally I clicked format data on sp flash tool. That got it to stop . I cant get it on . I used rescue and smart assistant and it said rescued... Can I just flash your twrp in download is spflash and boot up into twrp? Ive tried but nothing is happening

Tigerevo

Mar 14, 2011
Ok thank God. I formatted again and used rescue again and lenovo finally popped up . Now if your root method works would like to try . Otherwise can just put vmos on it .

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle
This is mostly perfect, but I somehow lost access to external SD card in TWRP.
Is the SDCard formatted as ExFAT, NTFS, EXT4 or something else?

Have a look in the /tmp/recovery.log. Are there any error messages about the SDCard?

I followed the commands from the OP to update from bootloader:
fastboot reboot recovery
You only need to flash vbmeta if you're re-loading the full stock ROM or you've just unlocked the bootloader. So you can probably skip that step.

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Is the SDCard formatted as ExFAT, NTFS, EXT4 or something else?

Have a look in the /tmp/recovery.log. Are there any error messages about the SDCard?

You only need to flash vbmeta if you're re-loading the full stock ROM or you've just unlocked the bootloader. So you can probably skip that step.

I'm not positive, but i think it's NTFS, as I probably wanted >4GB files at one point. I also don't see the tmp folder at the root of the device. Not sure if it's related, but the screen keeps shutting off randomly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This version of TWRP works on the Lenovo TB-X606FA and TB-X606F. It might also work on the other variants of TB-X606.

Warning: this TWRP will not work for any of the Tab M10 variants with Qualcomm SOCs. For the TB-X505F, see this thread. For the TB-X605F/L, see this thread.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
    */

Working:
    Almost everything is working including:
    • data decryption
    • MTP
    • OTG

Known issues:
    • time not adjusting for Daylight Saving
    • OTA

Installation
    It is recommended that you also install Magisk. This will ensure TWRP remains your default recovery.

If Windows 10 does not recognise your tablet in fastboot mode, then see post #2.

Step-by-step guide

1. download TWRP to your PC (see the Download section below)
    2. download magisk.apk to your MicroSD or OTG device. Change the filetype from "apk" to "zip". Get the latest Magisk apk file here.
    3. get a copy of the vbmeta.img file from the stock ROM. It should be located in one of the subdirectories of LMSA's c:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles directory (after you download it using the LMSA rescue (power-off mode). This is only required the first time you flash TWRP, or the first time after you re-flash the whole stock ROM.
    4. if your bootloader is already unlocked, go to step 5. To unlock bootloader:
      • on tablet: go to Settings->System->About and press "Build number" 7 times to enable Developer Options.
      • on tablet: go to Settings->System->DeveloperOptions. Turn on: "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging".
      • connect tablet to your computer. Tablet will ask for permission to "Allow USB debugging". Tick "always allow" and select "OK".
      • backup any files you want to keep to an external device (MicroSD/OTG/computer), because the next step will wipe all your photos, files, google account etc on the tablet.
      • Now unlock the bootloader:
        Code:
        adb reboot bootloader
        fastboot flashing unlock
      • follow the instructions on the tablet, then reboot to Android.
      • note: if fastboot reports <waiting for device>, then you need to install the Mediatek USB drivers. Go to developer.android.com/studio/run/oem-usb, then find the link to Mediatek (MTK) and follow the installation instructions.
      • note: after unlocking, tablet will take a while to come back up - because it has to do a factory reset and encrypt data again.
    5. flash the TWRP image:
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      fastboot reboot recovery
    6. load Magisk:
      In TWRP:
      • select "Install"
      • use "select storage" to locate device you stored magisk.zip on.
      • press the OK button
      • select the Magisk zip file
      • swipe to confirm Flash
      • when Magisk is finished, hit the "Reboot System" button
    7. finished!

If you prefer to use button combos, rather than fastboot/ADB commands:
    • Vol Down + Power = fastboot mode
    • Vol Up + Vol Down + Power = recovery mode

Changelog
    Code:
    2021-03-10 - TWRP 3.5.1 updates
               - cherrypicked update 1995 to force splash screen to display on boot
               - orientation is now landscape (for tablets)
               - updated install instructions to reflect new Magisk apk (v22).

2021-02-02 - fix blank screen on boot - don't need to press power button anymore to wake screen up

2021-01-24 - TWRP 3.5.0_10-0: initial release

Downloads

Source code

Credits
    The guys at TeamWin Recovery Project.
    Everyone whose device trees I plagiarised from GitHub.

Contributors
    Yahoo Mike

Created 2021-01-24
    Last Updated 2021-03-25 (fastboot in Windows 10)
    I just got my TB-X606F (it's actually finishing setup right now) and I'm going to try flashing this TWRP onto it. I *think* the only difference between the "F" and "FA" version is that the "FA" comes with some sort of Alexa capability.

Both adb commands output "mt8768".
    TB-X606F/ZA5T0300US (the manual also says TB-X606X) confirmed TWRP and Magisk are working. Had a hell of a time with getting fastboot to work on my main machine so I used a virtual machine to do everything with fastboot.
    Good call. My adb and fastboot were both way out of date.
    Twrp is working as expected no issues I have found, except for the need to press the power button s few times after booting into recovery to get twrp screen.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone