• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY][TB-X606F/TB-X606FA][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP 3.5.x for Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus

Search This thread

scottyrick2

Dec 2, 2020
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Moto E6
Hi, I would like to try this out. I installed TWRP and Magisk on this tablet X606F, but would like to try this CAOS Rom out. I've only ever installed Lineage before. Could you direct me to a proper download page? When I google it, the most official looking thing I find is this:

But it says the latest version is from end of 2020. Is that right?

And out of this list, would this be the correct image?:

caos-v224-201029-arm64-bvN.img.xz

arm64, and b? (Actually, I just remembered that you can check a or b in Magisk I think..., it's been a while)

Thanks.

Actually, I just clicked around and found this

Treble-Enabled Device Development A/AB ROMS​

section. Can I for example install Lineage18 from there? I couldn't find an unofficial Rom for this tablet, but now I'm confused. Does the device need to 'support' Treble, and well, does this tablet? I'd love to put Lineage on it.
---------------

Addendum:
Actually, I just spotted the 'known bugs' section at the end:

• excluding fixes, the same as on AOSP Quack (in some cases doesn't work: broadcasting on TV, calls via BT; offline charging does not work normally; problems with GPS etc etc)

which is throwing me off quite a bit. Can you confirm that these bugs exist? This would definitely keep me from installing this ROM

Soundforge link is correct latest is August 2021.. The tablet of course has no phone so those bugs don't apply. I have not experienced the other bugs mentioned. It sure is superior to lineage as far as bugs. As I said easy to try. Install gsi arm64 bgS rom in Twrp. If you don't like it you can always reflash the stock system image via Twrp and you are right back where you are now.

Reactions: seeyaomi

seeyaomi

Jan 11, 2020
Thanks scottyrick2 for pointing me in the right direction. I installed Lineage 18 but afterwards had an error, TWRP asked for a password (to decrypt data, without which you can't flash anything), although I never set one, so I would get 'mount system failed' errors. Someone here had the same problem, and the problem was that this TWRP is for Android 10. So I installed Lineage 17 instead, from this thread:

and THEN it worked flawlessly, and I could install OpenGapps for Android 10 and Magisk via TWRP.

GPS works, Bluetooth works, Camera works, root works.

One problem persists, and that is in TWRP I can't activate ADB sideload, as soon as I swipe you can hear the "device disconnect" sound from Windows. And then no devices are found. But since I can just copy the files over while in TWRP, it's not a huge deal.
Edited: Also, for completeness sake, the offline charging (what a stupid name) is bugged. Battery symbol shows up, but no percentage number, and it just stays frozen like that. But it will still charge, you just don't know how much it's charged. No big deal.

And now I have a nice system, without all the Google Crap on it.

I feel bad for all the beginners out there. How is anyone supposed to figure this out :D Takes hours to google for every new device to do something that you've done many times before...

Last edited:

menshen

Jun 28, 2006
Hi, I'm trying to install TWRP in X606F. I have stock Android 9 (kernel 4.9.177). I'm not able to get TWRP screen showing, I followed instructions from post #1 step by step, and when i tried to enter recovery, my device reboot again and load stock android.

Is this TWRP and this thread valid for Android 9?

Thanks in advance

menshen

Jun 28, 2006
Hi, I'm trying to install TWRP in X606F. I have stock Android 9 (kernel 4.9.177). I'm not able to get TWRP screen showing, I followed instructions from post #1 step by step, and when i tried to enter recovery, my device reboot again and load stock android.

Is this TWRP and this thread valid for Android 9? Thanks in advance

scottyrick2

Dec 2, 2020
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Moto E6

Is this TWRP and this thread valid for Android 9? Thanks in advance
I would take all of the OTA updates first. That will put your tablet on Android 10, where it belongs. After the tablet settles down, then I would follow the TWRP install procedure.

scottyrick2

Dec 2, 2020
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Moto E6
Thanks for your reply. I would prefer not update to Android 10, because this tablet performs better in Android 9. Could I install TWRP over Android 9?
No, unfortunately. It was designed from the ground up to work with Android 10. Their first version of Android 10 was slow. But by the third update, Android 10 became pretty competent. Of course, once rooted, it is easy to do a gsi system flash to Android 11. That is why you wanted TWRP in the first place, isn't it? By the way, I run Android 11 CAOS on this tablet, and is much faster and smoother than even the lastest stock Android 10.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This version of TWRP works on the Lenovo TB-X606FA and TB-X606F. It might also work on the other variants of TB-X606. Reported working on TB-X606X.

Warning: this TWRP will not work for any of the Tab M10 variants with Qualcomm SOCs. For the TB-X505F, see this thread. For the TB-X605F/L, see this thread.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
    */

Working:
    Almost everything is working including:
    • data decryption
    • MTP
    • OTG

Known issues:
    • time not adjusting for Daylight Saving
    • OTA (see this post)

Installation
    It is recommended that you also install Magisk. This will ensure TWRP remains your default recovery.

If Windows 10 does not recognise your tablet in fastboot mode, then see post #2.

Step-by-step guide

1. download TWRP to your PC (see the Download section below)
    2. download magisk.apk to your MicroSD or OTG device. Change the filetype from "apk" to "zip". Get the latest Magisk apk file here.
    3. get a copy of the vbmeta.img file from the stock ROM. It should be located in one of the subdirectories of LMSA's c:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles directory (after you download it using the LMSA rescue (power-off mode). This is only required the first time you flash TWRP, or the first time after you re-flash the whole stock ROM.
    4. if your bootloader is already unlocked, go to step 5. To unlock bootloader:
      • on tablet: go to Settings->System->About and press "Build number" 7 times to enable Developer Options.
      • on tablet: go to Settings->System->DeveloperOptions. Turn on: "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging".
      • connect tablet to your computer. Tablet will ask for permission to "Allow USB debugging". Tick "always allow" and select "OK".
      • backup any files you want to keep to an external device (MicroSD/OTG/computer), because the next step will wipe all your photos, files, google account etc on the tablet.
      • Now unlock the bootloader:
        Code:
        adb reboot bootloader
        fastboot flashing unlock
      • follow the instructions on the tablet, then reboot to Android.
      • note: if fastboot reports <waiting for device>, then you need to install the Mediatek USB drivers. Go to developer.android.com/studio/run/oem-usb, then find the link to Mediatek (MTK) and follow the installation instructions.
      • note: after unlocking, tablet will take a while to come back up - because it has to do a factory reset and encrypt data again.
    5. flash the TWRP image:
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      fastboot flash recovery twrp_X606FA_10.img
      fastboot --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
      fastboot reboot recovery
    6. backup the stock boot, system and vendor partitions in TWRP, if you don't have backups already
    7. load Magisk:
      In TWRP:
      • select "Install"
      • use "select storage" to locate device you stored magisk.zip on.
      • press the OK button
      • select the Magisk zip file
      • swipe to confirm Flash
      • when Magisk is finished, hit the "Reboot System" button
    8. finished!

If you prefer to use button combos, rather than fastboot/ADB commands:
    • Vol Down + Power = fastboot mode
    • Vol Up + Vol Down + Power = recovery mode

Changelog
    Code:
    2021-07-05 - TWRP 3.5.2 updates
               - corrected display of Cyrillic (and other non-ASCII characters) in file names on external drives (utf8)

2021-03-10 - TWRP 3.5.1 updates
               - cherrypicked update 1995 to force splash screen to display on boot
               - orientation is now landscape (for tablets)
               - updated install instructions to reflect new Magisk apk (v22).

2021-02-02 - fix blank screen on boot - don't need to press power button anymore to wake screen up

2021-01-24 - TWRP 3.5.0_10-0: initial release

Downloads

Source code

Credits
    The guys at TeamWin Recovery Project.
    Everyone whose device trees I plagiarised from GitHub.

Contributors
    Yahoo Mike

Created 2021-01-24
    Last Updated 2021-07-05 (released v3.5.2)
    Thanks scottyrick2 for pointing me in the right direction. I installed Lineage 18 but afterwards had an error, TWRP asked for a password (to decrypt data, without which you can't flash anything), although I never set one, so I would get 'mount system failed' errors. Someone here had the same problem, and the problem was that this TWRP is for Android 10. So I installed Lineage 17 instead, from this thread:

and THEN it worked flawlessly, and I could install OpenGapps for Android 10 and Magisk via TWRP.

GPS works, Bluetooth works, Camera works, root works.

One problem persists, and that is in TWRP I can't activate ADB sideload, as soon as I swipe you can hear the "device disconnect" sound from Windows. And then no devices are found. But since I can just copy the files over while in TWRP, it's not a huge deal.
    Edited: Also, for completeness sake, the offline charging (what a stupid name) is bugged. Battery symbol shows up, but no percentage number, and it just stays frozen like that. But it will still charge, you just don't know how much it's charged. No big deal.

And now I have a nice system, without all the Google Crap on it.

I feel bad for all the beginners out there. How is anyone supposed to figure this out :D Takes hours to google for every new device to do something that you've done many times before...
    Ok. And is it possible to flash full rom via flashtool without factory reset?
    I have finished investigating SP Flash Tool as a possible method for upgrading. My conclusion... don't use it. It is too easy to screw up the update.

The good news is that now I have identified the only partitions which will be upgraded during a firmware upgrade of this tablet, and they are boot, system, and vendor. The others are never touched., based on my review.

Conclusion: Stick with post #108 or post #87 when you upgrade firmware. Your choice.
    TB-X606F/ZA5T0300US (the manual also says TB-X606X) confirmed TWRP and Magisk are working. Had a hell of a time with getting fastboot to work on my main machine so I used a virtual machine to do everything with fastboot.
    Just installed it now and works fine on my X606X 4/64 with X606V rom. It works only on landscrape mode?
    I get only 1 error during this time "Failed to mount "/product" (invalid argument)", I dont know if it is a some critical error or not.
    Ignore that error. Not critical.