[RECOVERY] - TeamWin Recovery Project [BLUELINE] [OFFICIAL]

Search This thread

bigbiff

Senior Recognized Developer
Jun 8, 2010
[RECOVERY] TWRP 3.6.0_11-0 - TeamWin Recovery Project

Introduction:

Team Win Recovery Project or TWRP for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It's a fully touch driven user interface , no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Key Features:

Touchscreen driven with real buttons and drag-to-scroll
XML-based GUI that allows full customization of the layout true theming!
Settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
Ability to choose to compress backups now with pigz (multi-core processor support for faster compression times)
Onscreen keyboard
Easy selection of internal/external storage

In addition to the above new features, TWRP features a scripting engine that allows an app to send commands to the recovery for the recovery to perform during startup. We call this scripting engine OpenRecoveryScript. The app will also let you choose to install multiple zips from within Android, wipe, and run a backup.

We are looking for other talented developers, themers, and device maintainers if they are interested in helping with a free, open source project.

Source Code:

GitHub - https://github.com/TeamWin/android_bootable_recovery

Gerrit Instance - http://gerrit.twrp.me

If you have made your own TWRP build for an unsupported device, please let us know. We might add your build to the list of official builds.

Device Config: https://github.com/bigbiff/android_device_google_crosshatch

Hello, this is a test build for crosshatch users.

If others thing don't work, please report the issue and let me know.

I am opening this thread to replace @Dees_Troy's thread with his blessing.

http://twrp.me

brainchild

Aug 29, 2014
I tried to boot to this image on my bootloader-unlocked Pixel 3, but the operation failed.

With the device connected and the bootloader active, I ran the following command:

Code:
$ fastboot boot twrp-3.6.0_11-0-blueline.img 
Sending 'boot.img' (65536 KB)                      OKAY [  1.797s]
Booting                                            FAILED (remote: 'Error verifying the received boot.img: Buffer Too Small')
fastboot: error: Command failed

I had just performed a factory reset (from
blueline-qq3a.200805.001). Flashing a blank vbmeta.img to disable verification did not resolve the error.

b8842dc0

Nov 11, 2015
Thanks @bigbiff I've now got this installed on my Pixel 3 running Lineage 18 (A11). So nice to have TWRP back!! I've got one question about backing up. I'm seeing the following backup options:

Data (excluding storage)
Boot
Persist
Super (system system_ext vendor product)

I've not seen this "Persist" before. If I want to backup/restore the device, using TWRP, should all four of these options be selected?

Thanks again!

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
I tried to boot to this image on my bootloader-unlocked Pixel 3, but the operation failed.

With the device connected and the bootloader active, I ran the following command:

Code:
Booting                                            FAILED (remote: 'Error verifying the received boot.img: Buffer Too Small')

blueline-qq3a.200805.001). Flashing a blank vbmeta.img to disable verification did not resolve the error.
See this post, and the subsequent posts.

Reactions: curiousrom

brainchild

Aug 29, 2014
Thank you for the earlier reply. I am still learning about the relation between original firmware, Android version, recovery version, and partition layout. Whereas previously each had been largely independent of the others, recent changes have brought them into a very close dependence, which is often not clarified in the distribution of the various components.

I applied Android 11 firmware to the device, and was able to boot from the image.

I am now having problems installing custom Android 11 images, due to limited space on the system partition. In some cases, I can install the image but not Gapps, not even the pico size.

The general recommendation for this problem is to use the Advanced Wipe feature to resize the partition, but I have found no partition labeled System in the list.

The partitions listed under Advanced Wipe are only the following:
  • Dalvik / ART Cache
  • metadata
  • Data
  • Internal Storage
  • USB-OTG
I was able to install LineageOS entirely successfully using the project's own recovery, and then, once the main system was ready, install the TWRP 3.6 recovery image. While this procedure has appeared as a viable workaround, I look forward to any clarification about completing the installation entirely through TWRP. I also look forward to clarification about whether these observations indeed represent a current limitation in the TWRP images available for the device, and whether any other limitations are known.

Last edited:

shaunoleary

Jan 27, 2013
Rockhampton
Wow - TWRP for the Pixel 3 - finally!! What a great job, and thank you very, very much! (y)(y) Successfully completed my very first backup of my Blueline tonight; for the first time since buying this great phone over 18 months ago.

Issues I have found:
  • USB-OTG doesn't seem to work; I was hoping I could perform the backup to a USB flash drive.
  • Also, could not seem to get ADB from my computer to work.
Thank you so much @bigbiff for your hard work on this. It is very much appreciated! Well done!!

I do have one question, if I may: is it safe to flash this to recovery, or should we only use it via "fastboot boot twrp..."?

Last edited:

zyhk

May 9, 2020
Wow - TWRP for the Pixel 3 - finally!! What a great job, and thank you very, very much! (y)(y) Successfully completed my very first backup of my Blueline tonight; for the first time since buying this great phone over 18 months ago.

Issues I have found:
  • USB-OTG doesn't seem to work; I was hoping I could perform the backup to a USB flash drive.
  • Also, could not seem to get ADB from my computer to work.
Thank you so much @bigbiff for your hard work on this. It is very much appreciated! Well done!!
Thank you so much too, @bigbiff . Although USB-otg cannot be used, I can back up data on ArrowOS 12.0 without issues. Till now, I haven't tested restoration of my backup data yet.

Fnord12

Apr 7, 2011
Can this version of TWRP handle encrypted phones? (ones with lock screen passwords) I've been poking around the internet finding conflicting information.

zyhk

May 9, 2020
You can still use it on Android 12 - you just need to remove the PIN first, then restore it afterwards.
You need to remove PIN on Android 12 before invoking backup process of your encrypted data on TWRP as @bigbiff said another thread. Probably, you can restore the backup data after removing PIN on Android 12. Then, you can set PIN on Android 12 again after the restoration.

brainchild

Aug 29, 2014
Another observation... After a OTA update, LineageOS replaced the recovery with its own. From booting the TWRP image from a fastboot connection, the resulting session of TWRP shows option in the advanced menu for installing TWRP to the device. I'm not sure that I would be able to reinstall TWRP without this option, since attempts to flash through fastboot had failed previously. I'm confused about why this menu item no longer appears.

bigbiff

Jun 8, 2010
Another observation... After a OTA update, LineageOS replaced the recovery with its own. From booting the TWRP image from a fastboot connection, the resulting session of TWRP shows option in the advanced menu for installing TWRP to the device. I'm not sure that I would be able to reinstall TWRP without this option, since attempts to flash through fastboot had failed previously. I'm confused about why this menu item no longer appears.
You can use Flash Current TWRP to have TWRP reinjected in the ramdisk, it's not showing up for you?

brainchild

Aug 29, 2014
You can use Flash Current TWRP to have TWRP reinjected in the ramdisk, it's not showing up for you?

No. I believe what has happened is that the OTA update switched the active slot from A to B, with TWRP still residing on the now inactive slot A. Perhaps TWRP only looks in slot A, and if it finds itself installed, it hides this menu entry.

I am not sure what the general use pattern is, as I am still learning the newer paradigm of seamless updates, and A/B and dynamic partitions. Is TWRP compatible with OTA updates? What is the general usage pattern? The updated slot seems to have retained Magisk.

bigbiff

Jun 8, 2010
No. I believe what has happened is that the OTA update switched the active slot from A to B, with TWRP still residing on the now inactive slot A. Perhaps TWRP only looks in slot A, and if it finds itself installed, it hides this menu entry.

I am not sure what the general use pattern is, as I am still learning the newer paradigm of seamless updates, and A/B and dynamic partitions. Is TWRP compatible with OTA updates? What is the general usage pattern? The updated slot seems to have retained Magisk.
Usually you have to reinstall twrp to the boot partition, which is typically not A/B

brainchild

Aug 29, 2014
There are two boot partitions, boot_a and boot_b.

Right. It seems that when I originally loaded the firmware and installed TWRP, it installed to slot A. Later, LineageOS installed its OTA update on slot B, and activated it. Now the active recovery is the LOS recovery, in slot B. I can boot TWRP from fastboot, but the resulting session may be hiding the menu entry for installation on the the device because it detects itself already installed on slot A.

I suppose the questions are whether installation to multiple slots is supported by TWRP, and whether TWRP and LOS support integration for OTA updates.

More generally, the overall question is what is the overall recommended usage pattern for updating LOS when TWRP is also installed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Further update - @Captain_Throwback has provided a further build that will decode user data successfully by entering a PIN. This means you can access the internal storage without removing the PIN / fingerprints in Android etc.

I believe new builds will be published on Captain's Google Drive:

At some point, they'll likely go via TWRP's main web site...
    That's the only way that restore will work, otherwise you'll get locked out of the device. That has always been the case. It may be unfortunate, but Android security makes that step necessary.
    For anyone who cares, the technical reason is that without removing the pin, we cannot have zygote rebuild it's inode cache on start when files are restored under new inodes. Otherwise zygote will crash right away.
    Getting ready for the LineageOS 12.1 upgrade, I wanted to do a full nandroid including internal storage. I found this https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...kup-internal-storage-o-backup-option.3941108/ and saw the note that "These instructions are obsolete starting with TWRP v3.4.0-0+" but when I go to the backup screen I don't see an option for "Internal Storage".
    Is this an oversight or is it not supported on blueline?
    That's not an oversight; it's not supported in any official TWRP.

See here: https://twrp.me/faq/backupexclusions.html

And also here: https://github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/issues/276
    I tried booting this TWRP in a blueline with Android 10 and was unsuccessful (error about the buffer being small). Can you backport this to Android 10? I am asking because that's the last version where restore works as-is (without removing pin). I use a crosshatch version of TWRP that works in Android 10 but doesn't have mtp enabled. I would love to have a TWRP for blueline that has mtp working and does not require pin removal (for Android 10). Thank you.
    No. There will not be a version for Android 10.
    [RECOVERY] TWRP 3.6.0_11-0 - TeamWin Recovery Project

Introduction:

Team Win Recovery Project or TWRP for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It's a fully touch driven user interface , no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Key Features:

Touchscreen driven with real buttons and drag-to-scroll
    XML-based GUI that allows full customization of the layout true theming!
    Settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
    Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
    Ability to choose to compress backups now with pigz (multi-core processor support for faster compression times)
    Onscreen keyboard
    Easy selection of internal/external storage

In addition to the above new features, TWRP features a scripting engine that allows an app to send commands to the recovery for the recovery to perform during startup. We call this scripting engine OpenRecoveryScript. The app will also let you choose to install multiple zips from within Android, wipe, and run a backup.

We are looking for other talented developers, themers, and device maintainers if they are interested in helping with a free, open source project.

Source Code:

GitHub - https://github.com/TeamWin/android_bootable_recovery

Gerrit Instance - http://gerrit.twrp.me

If you have made your own TWRP build for an unsupported device, please let us know. We might add your build to the list of official builds.

Device Config: https://github.com/bigbiff/android_device_google_crosshatch

Hello, this is a test build for crosshatch users.

If others thing don't work, please report the issue and let me know.

I am opening this thread to replace @Dees_Troy's thread with his blessing.

http://twrp.me
    @bigbiff - It seems that the fstab entry for `/usb_otg` is incorrect for blueline.

Line 7 on this file should read `/dev/block/sdg1` - which is what I see in `dmesg` when connecting an OTG USB device.

If I jump into the terminal, then try:
    Code:
    # mount /dev/block/sdg1 /usb_otg

Then I am able to use my USB OTG drive to back up images to via TWRP backup etc etc.

Seems like it should be a simple fix unless crosshatch requires to use `/dev/block/sda1`...

Big thanks to @bigbiff for fixing USB OTG for blueline and Android 12.

He grabbed a ton of logs from me, and the result is the attached files.

If you have a PIN and/or fingerprints, you'll need to remove them and select "Swipe" as your security method in Android before rebooting to recovery. After that, you'll be able to mount the USB OTG device and use it for backups / restores or installing packages.

Code:

See this post, and the subsequent posts.

Can this version of TWRP handle encrypted phones? (ones with lock screen passwords) I've been poking around the internet finding conflicting information.
    It can handle Android 11 encryption. I don't believe Android 12 encryption works yet.
    I tried booting this TWRP in a blueline with Android 10 and was unsuccessful (error about the buffer being small). Can you backport this to Android 10? I am asking because that's the last version where restore works as-is (without removing pin). I use a crosshatch version of TWRP that works in Android 10 but doesn't have mtp enabled. I would love to have a TWRP for blueline that has mtp working and does not require pin removal (for Android 10). Thank you.
    No. There will not be a version for Android 10.