It's been a good while since I have adjusted my build on my Pixel 5.
Currently I am on a rooted Pixel 5 with a custom ROM (Proton OS11). I see OS12 Roms that have been released ... as I have mostly learnt everything from a Samsung environment since S2 days (CWM/TWRP) I have always backed up (nandroid) my build before going to a new Rom.
As the process regarding pixel flashing is not embedded in my brain, as much so as Samsung methods (via odin, etc.) I want to confirm I am understanding everything correctly before moving forward with TWRP on my Pixel 5 (redfin)
My apologies I have been out of the loop a bit with the pixel 5 methods. I base my knowledge more-so from Samsung environment, want to make sure I am on the correct page.
- the community has stated that you can adb flash into TWRP while connected to a PC to backup/restore/flash etc. is the proper command to perform this action:
fastboot boot twrpname.img
- Are there issues as stated in previous posted, when rooted, custom rom + magisk that TRWP encounter issues when performing the above functions?
- To perm flash TWRP would the following command be suggested?
fastboot flash recovery twrpname.img
- When/If perm flashed, how does one go about access TWRP from the phone (ie. no adb access etc.) is there a button command, or same command as you use to access fast boot (Press and hold the Volume Down + Power button)
- If i successfully get TWRP running in RAM or perm-flashed...are there issues or concerns with backing up the device, flashing to a new OS (OS12) and if not liking the new OS... booting back to TWRP and restoring the old backup image?
- Is there a step by step guide on XDA?
Feel fee to recommend or suggest anything.
I do appreciate any feedback from XDA community, everyone has always been super helpful
1. `fastboot boot twrp.img` is the right command to boot twrp temporarily.
2. To perm flash it, you install it as recovery ramdisk from within twrp after booting into twrp. Ensure you've pushed the file to your internal storage before installing it.
Custom ROMs don't have an issue with it but for Lineage, I'd suggest flashing the ROM via Lineage Recovery the first time before flashing twrp.
3. Pixel 5 doesn't have a recovery partition so that command won't work.
4. You can access it from the fastboot menu by selecting "recovery mode" using the volume keys.
5. You can do that but YMMV.