[RECOVERY] TeamWin Touch Recovery v2.2.2.0 for the HTC Wildfire S

Search This thread

WoefulDerelict

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle, WA
Presenting the latest development version of the TeamWin Recovery Project's touch recovery for the HTC Wildfire S. TeamWin Touch Recovery now has official builds available through TeamWin and GooManager for the Marvel. With any luck MarvelC support will soon follow. Please visit the TWRP and TeamWin pages for more information.

Compiled for and tested on the original GSM Marvel. Always awaiting more testing from CDMA Marvel users. This software is provided without support or warranty: use it at your own risk.

Known Issues:
  • Fails on a handful of new GSM Marvel devices with updated/incompatible hardware, locking at the initial HTC splash screen.
Change Log:
  • XX:XX XX/8/2012 - Initial release of TWRP v2.2.2.0: Upstream code changes resolve the issues with formatting SD-EXT and partitioning the SD-Card. Includes the initial release of a revised 320x480 default theme with cleaner action pages, slightly larger buttons and more spacious checklists. First stable, full-featured and issue free release of TWRP for the HTC Wildfire S. Previous buggy versions have been removed from the revision history and can no longer be downloaded.
  • 17:35 19/08/2012 PDT - Second release of TWRP v2.2.1.5: Issues with offmode charging resolved thanks to kalaker.
  • 23:32 17/08/2012 PDT - Initial release of TWRP v2.2.1.5: Upstream code includes changes that resolve issues with the system rebooting during backup operations.
  • 03:00 06/08/2012 PDT - Initial release of TWRP v2.2.1.4: Upstream code includes a handful of nice little bug fixes including a resolution for the mount issues.
  • 23:05 05/08/2012 PDT - Minor aesthetic tweaks to the new theme.
  • 02:29 05/08/2012 PDT - Third release of TWRP v2.2.1: Includes a carefully scaled v2.2 theme enabling the latest release's advanced features.
  • 22:59 28/07/2012 PDT - Second release of TWRP v2.2.1: Corrected a glitch in my build environment that could have lead to issues and then forked it for dedicated platform builds. First dedicated MarvelC build.
  • 23:58 27/07/2012 PDT - Initial release of TWRP v2.2.1: Compiled from the most recent code provided by: TWRP, Cryptomilk and the CyanogenMod ICS-Release branch.
  • 22:55 09/07/2012 PDT - Maintenance release of TWRP v2.1.8: Reconfigured and shrank the kernel in order to utilize a less aggressive form of compression than LZMA. Switched from the CyanogenMod ICS branch to ICS-Release.
  • 12:35 09/07/2012 PDT - Initial release of TWRP v2.1.8: Built using the ICS branchs of the CyanogenMod and Cryptomilk Marvel sources. Oversized image required LZMA compression.
To Do:
  • Build flashable .ZIP
Download Links:
TWRP for GSM HTC Wildfire S (Marvel) v2.2.2.0 (Preview Release) - Image - Mirror
MD5: 34f201ec8c8b0f0d2eae64c88ac3d888
TWRP for CDMA HTC Wildfire S (MarvelC) v2.2.2.0 (Preview Release) - Image - Mirror
MD5: 7c4d137a37098900ff3b2a9412ee8994

Last edited:

WoefulDerelict

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle, WA
This is not the place for support.

I apologize in advance for what may seem abusive but, as it has been laid down here in the RULES it stands to reason that I'm decently covered.

THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOUR QUESTIONS! THIS IS!

In my infinite generosity I've created a place where users can get answers to frequently asked questions and seek support from one another. As an added bonus it will save you from my wrath. Please limit all discussion in this thread to development issues. I've started you off with some installation instructions as that was the first issue. I will update and check in as necessary. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: rallapag

Lt.Win

Aug 20, 2011
Mumbai
You need to have the HTC drivers installed.

Then in cmd type:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img.

Place the img file in the same folder as the adb files, so you won't have to specify a path.

Good luck,

Awesome work btw. :laugh:

Reactions: SanderTheNinja
R

Red5

I apologize in advance for what may seem abusive but, as it has been laid down here in the RULES and I CLEARLY stated there would be ABSOLUTELY NO SUPPORT in my original post, it stands to reason that I'm decently covered.

THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOUR QUESTIONS! Ignorance and stupidity will not be tolerated.

In my infinite generosity I've created a place where users can get answers to frequently asked questions and seek support from one another. As an added bonus it will save you from my wrath. I've started you off with some installation instructions as that was the first issue. Enjoy!
If you're not going to support this, then this dosent belong in the Dev section... it can go in the General section or Apps section. Only Supported work belongs in the Dev section.

WoefulDerelict

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle, WA
Semantics...

If you're not going to support this, then this dosent belong in the Dev section... it can go in the General section or Apps section. Only Supported work belongs in the Dev section.

I believe the issue here is entirely one of semantics. In my lexicon support encompasses the magical realm of end-user hand holding. In no way do I feel it is necessary or reasonable to expect a user manual with warm and fuzzy walk-troughs of every possible thing you could want to do and some friendly advice with a hug every time the user has a problem with their FREE software. I certainly don't plan to offer any of the above.

I do; however, plan on maintaining my work. I'm quite interested in information that would allow me to improve the image or resolve a reproducible issue. I also have no qualms discussing the work with other developers, providing updates as the code base evolves, accepting proper issue reports or feature suggestions. I'd simply prefer to avoid getting bogged down by questions that could easily be answered by visiting the project's home page or querying Google. I find it quite counter productive to wade through user prattle when I'm trying to fix an issue or collaborate with another developer.

Reactions: rezo609

WoefulDerelict

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle, WA
The joys of platform fragmentation.

Should be, but it isn't. After flash, my phone stuck on white screen with green HTC logo after attempt to enter in recovery...

Works perfectly on my phone. Mine is the A510e.

I suppose the plus side is that I have some confirmation that the software works on other A501e devices. If you're going to report something as not working could you at least go to the trouble of including your device's identifying information? A510b/e, SPL and Radio versions would be a great start.

marchelius

Jun 13, 2008
3-CITY
I suppose the plus side is that I have some confirmation that the software works on other A501e devices. If you're going to report something as not working could you at least go to the trouble of including your device's identifying information? A510b/e, SPL and Radio versions would be a great start.
OK.
HTC A510e
Android 2.3.5
EQDKP v4.7
Kernel 2.6.35.10-ga66971c
47.23e.35.3038H_7.57.39.10M
S-ON, unlocked via HTCDev

Last edited:

WoefulDerelict

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle, WA
Main branch broken with CM9 on Marvel since updating to 2.2 code.

TWRP updated their main branch to v2.2 today. While I was hoping for the resolution of current issues their changes break my build with CM9. I'm stepping through the changes presently to see if I reason out what changed between 2.2 and 2.1.8 to cause the issue and correct the it. Stay tuned for more updates.

WoefulDerelict

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle, WA
More please...

OK.
HTC A510e
Android 2.3.5
EQDKP v4.7
Kernel 2.6.35.10-ga66971c
47.23e.35.3038H_7.57.39.10M
S-ON, unlocked via HTCDev

Could I get the HBOOT, MICROP and Radio version from your SPL? Hold the volume rocker and power button down while turning on the device to access the bootloader for that information.

IF these Frankenstein devices exist I'm going to need a profile of the revised hardware in order to correct the issue along with some proud owners to test fixes as I don't have access to one. The Marvel I was given is based off the original hardware profile and TWRP2.1.8 works fine when built with CM9 and the cryptomilk.org MSM7227 kernel. I'll do what I can to fix it but, I'm currently trying to resolve build issues with the new 2.2 release. I'm hoping this new code base along with a revised kernel will resolve many of the current issues.

WoefulDerelict

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle, WA
It's ALIVE!

The problem is it's behaving like I brought it to life with a couple bolts of lightning. To say that it has issues would be overly kind but, it boots and I can navigate around. I'm currently trying to track down all the shorts making 2.2 twitch. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lt.Win

eoghan2t7

Recognized Contributor
Jan 18, 2011
Belfast
OPPO Find X2 Pro
OPPO Find X5 Pro
Finally managed a clean build from the latest source. I'd love for some brave MarvelC users to give it a test before building a flashable .ZIP for the general public.

Thanks but theres a few issues

1. Theme isn't updated
2. On-screen keyboard wont work due to current theme
3 l. Swipe to start backups/restoring wont work due the theme.

More or less this is just like the previous twrp until themes are resized etc :(

Sent from my Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

WoefulDerelict

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle, WA
Yea, I knew that.

Thanks but theres a few issues

1. Theme isn't updated
2. On-screen keyboard wont work due to current theme
3 l. Swipe to start backups/restoring wont work due the theme.

More or less this is just like the previous twrp until themes are resized etc :(

This was already noted in the original post as the last entry under the known issues header. I maintain this for a reason. Thankfully the themes are XML based and updating it shouldn't be ridiculously difficult. Once I've gotten the issue list stable and nailed down where they are all rooted I'll see what I can do to tackle this and the formatting errors as they seem to be the largest TWRP specific issues I could correct. I wager the XML theme business will be relatively quick and painless.

eoghan2t7

Recognized Contributor
Jan 18, 2011
Belfast
OPPO Find X2 Pro
OPPO Find X5 Pro
This was already noted in the original post as the last entry under the known issues header. I maintain this for a reason. Thankfully the themes are XML based and updating it shouldn't be ridiculously difficult. Once I've gotten the issue list stable and nailed down where they are all rooted I'll see what I can do to tackle this and the formatting errors as they seem to be the largest TWRP specific issues I could correct. I wager the XML theme business will be relatively quick and painless.

Yeah the themes are XML based but the image editing will be the worst part ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Presenting the latest development version of the TeamWin Recovery Project's touch recovery for the HTC Wildfire S. TeamWin Touch Recovery now has official builds available through TeamWin and GooManager for the Marvel. With any luck MarvelC support will soon follow. Please visit the TWRP and TeamWin pages for more information.

Compiled for and tested on the original GSM Marvel. Always awaiting more testing from CDMA Marvel users. This software is provided without support or warranty: use it at your own risk.

Known Issues:
    • Fails on a handful of new GSM Marvel devices with updated/incompatible hardware, locking at the initial HTC splash screen.
    Change Log:
    • XX:XX XX/8/2012 - Initial release of TWRP v2.2.2.0: Upstream code changes resolve the issues with formatting SD-EXT and partitioning the SD-Card. Includes the initial release of a revised 320x480 default theme with cleaner action pages, slightly larger buttons and more spacious checklists. First stable, full-featured and issue free release of TWRP for the HTC Wildfire S. Previous buggy versions have been removed from the revision history and can no longer be downloaded.
    • 17:35 19/08/2012 PDT - Second release of TWRP v2.2.1.5: Issues with offmode charging resolved thanks to kalaker.
    • 23:32 17/08/2012 PDT - Initial release of TWRP v2.2.1.5: Upstream code includes changes that resolve issues with the system rebooting during backup operations.
    • 03:00 06/08/2012 PDT - Initial release of TWRP v2.2.1.4: Upstream code includes a handful of nice little bug fixes including a resolution for the mount issues.
    • 23:05 05/08/2012 PDT - Minor aesthetic tweaks to the new theme.
    • 02:29 05/08/2012 PDT - Third release of TWRP v2.2.1: Includes a carefully scaled v2.2 theme enabling the latest release's advanced features.
    • 22:59 28/07/2012 PDT - Second release of TWRP v2.2.1: Corrected a glitch in my build environment that could have lead to issues and then forked it for dedicated platform builds. First dedicated MarvelC build.
    • 23:58 27/07/2012 PDT - Initial release of TWRP v2.2.1: Compiled from the most recent code provided by: TWRP, Cryptomilk and the CyanogenMod ICS-Release branch.
    • 22:55 09/07/2012 PDT - Maintenance release of TWRP v2.1.8: Reconfigured and shrank the kernel in order to utilize a less aggressive form of compression than LZMA. Switched from the CyanogenMod ICS branch to ICS-Release.
    • 12:35 09/07/2012 PDT - Initial release of TWRP v2.1.8: Built using the ICS branchs of the CyanogenMod and Cryptomilk Marvel sources. Oversized image required LZMA compression.
    To Do:
    • Build flashable .ZIP
    Download Links:
    TWRP for GSM HTC Wildfire S (Marvel) v2.2.2.0 (Preview Release) - Image - Mirror
    MD5: 34f201ec8c8b0f0d2eae64c88ac3d888
    TWRP for CDMA HTC Wildfire S (MarvelC) v2.2.2.0 (Preview Release) - Image - Mirror
    MD5: 7c4d137a37098900ff3b2a9412ee8994
    looks like we got added to TWRP devices page http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/111 and is installable via goo manger
    Status updates...

I've managed to track the issue regarding corrupted EXT4 file-systems when TWRP is asked to partition the SD Card to it's root. Currently TWRP uses an external script, /sbin/sdparted, to handle the partitioning of the SD Card. This was borrowed from CM and relies on parted to create and format new partitions. As parted lacks support for ext3/4 file-systems the script then calls tune2fs to perform the in-place upgrades to your desired file-system. The upgrade from ext2/3 to ext4 is a bit messy and requires e2fsck to clean up after it. e2fsck is called with the preen option and fails because it believes the work necessary to clean up the upgraded file-system is beyond that scope. Calling e2fsck with the yes option instead results in the operation competing successfully. While this single character change does fix the issue it is unlikely you will see it.

Dees_Troy is currently working to clean up the TWRP code and unify the majority of TWRP functions. It is likely that /sbin/sdparted will be abandoned for internal code. He has already authored code to format the new partitions in TWRP instead of relying on /sbin/sdparted and those are likely the changes users will see.

Dees_Troy believes we have finally found the root of the direct SD-EXT wipe issue. I should know more about that later.

UPDATE: After testing the changes in an image Dees_Troy sent to me I can verify the death of all the SD-EXT bugs. The man has a bit of house keeping he wants to do before pushing the changes to the mainstream code. I'll publish builds once that code is available. It's highly possible the Marvel and MarvelC could become officially supported in GooManager thanks to Modpunk's awesome repo.
    Fresh revision.

Finally managed a clean build from the latest source. I'd love for some brave MarvelC users to give it a test before building a flashable .ZIP for the general public.
    This is not the place for support.

I apologize in advance for what may seem abusive but, as it has been laid down here in the RULES it stands to reason that I'm decently covered.

THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOUR QUESTIONS! THIS IS!

In my infinite generosity I've created a place where users can get answers to frequently asked questions and seek support from one another. As an added bonus it will save you from my wrath. Please limit all discussion in this thread to development issues. I've started you off with some installation instructions as that was the first issue. I will update and check in as necessary. Enjoy!