[RECOVERY][TF101][OFFICIAL] TWRP 2.3.2.3 with on-screen keyboard! [2012-12-12]

Search This thread

ViViDboarder

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Team Win Recovery Project 2.3, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Phone look:

Tablet look:

CHANGELOG for 2.3.2.3:
-Fixes / enhancements to handle the multiple user setup introduced by Android 4.2 (see notes)
-Fixed a bug with deleting a backup with a space in the name
-Added highlights on keyboard key presses
-TF101: Ignore blkid when mounting /data

CHANGELOG for 2.3.0.0:
-Rebased onto AOSP Jelly Bean source code
-Rewrote backup, restore, wipe, and mount code in C++ classes for easier maintenance going forward
NOTE: backups from prior versions of TWRP are still compatible with 2.3
-ADB sideload functionality from AOSP is included in 2.3, see this link for more info
-Re-wrote fix permissions entirely in C++ and runs in a few seconds instead of a few minutes (thanks to bigbiff)
-Improvements to zip finding in OpenRecoveryScript (should be a lot fewer GooManager automation issues)
-Faster boot times
-Added charging indicator while in recovery (only updates once every 60 seconds)

While this update may not bring a host of new must-have features, this update is a significant re-write of much of the core TWRP code. AOSP Jelly Bean recovery source moved to mostly C++ code and now all of the "TWRP" code is fully rewritten into C++ as well. Now that we've laid this groundwork, we're in a much better position to pull in future AOSP recovery updates as well as implementing more great new features.

Since TWRP 2.3 is based on AOSP jelly bean sources, TWRP now uses recovery API 3 instead of 2. Some zips may no longer work if the developer is using an out-of-date update-binary. This API change should not be a problem on newer devices, but older devices will probably encounter several zips that need to be updated. If needed, you can try using this update-binary that was compiled with current sources. It goes in your zip file in the META-INF/com/google/android folder.

DOWNLOAD:
The fastest and easiest way to install TWRP is to use the GooManager app:
Play Store Link
Direct Download
1) Install GooManager from the Play Store
2) Open GooManager and provide root permissions
3) Hit Menu (or the button with the 3 dots on your screen) and then Install OpenRecovery
OR:
You can find more information and download links on our website!
NOTE: If you're coming from another build of TWRP, you may need to go into settings and tap reset defaults to reset the storage paths so that you can see your zip files.

BUGS:
If you have found a bug, please acquire a recovery.log - you can do this in two ways - the fastest is "adb pull /tmp/recovery.log" right after you have the issue. Alternatively in the advanced menu there's an option to copy the log to the sdcard. Also consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 30 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.

Last edited:

ViViDboarder

Mar 25, 2010
San Francisco, CA
We also now back up and restore boot! Yay!

Want to compile yourself?

I'm using this config: https://github.com/ViViDboarder/android_device_asus_tf101
And this kernel: https://github.com/ViViDboarder/android_kernel_TF101
And compiling against CM9 source tree

Further device specific announcements will go here

A few thanks for this specific build:
Roach2010 for helping be me test and find the mystery kernel
RaymanFX for finding a config that worked. Still not sure where he found it yet exactly
And... Dees_Troy and eyeballer for their relentless nagging ;)

Last edited:

jefbal99

Aug 26, 2010
great work, i've been waiting forever and finally have this on all my devices and those that I support.

gdeeble

Oct 8, 2011
I've been using the other one RaymanFX had built and both are awesome. Only 1 change other than the known issues, would be remove the "Bootloader" button under restart. But just my opinion. Thanks Again. :)

ViViDboarder

Mar 25, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I've been using the other one RaymanFX had built and both are awesome. Only 1 change other than the known issues, would be remove the "Bootloader" button under restart. But just my opinion. Thanks Again. :)

Good note. That's a theme issue then. I can build a new theme zip or something later. Working on releasing the much delayed Nexus One build. :p

EDIT: I've been informed by Dees_Troy that we have build flags to do just this. So I'm adding them to my configs so the next build should have them removified.

Last edited:
Reactions: poging22

zedorda

Apr 26, 2011
GooManager keeps hanging at Looking for recoveries after trying to install OpenRecoveryScript. Unable to retrieve files...

sidneyk

Nov 16, 2011
Bonner Springs, KS
I thought I would give this a try and went to the TWRP page link as instructed. Followed the instructions to download the open recovery through goo manager, which it did and it rebooted my tablet and all looked good. I then tried to reboot to recovery from Team EOS3 Power menu. The usual TWRP blue curtain was there and when it raised, I saw the text at the bottom that my /data partition was being formatted without formatting /data/media and the tablet rebooted, without ever getting to the TWRP recovery menu and I'm now back at the initial Google setup screen. Guess I should have made a fresh Titanium backup first. A warning would have been nice, or is this a bug?

MassStash

Sep 26, 2008
Chicago
Strange. But I copped the blob from twrp site as "not recommended" suposedly. Ran the command in terminal cuz I don't Fux with goo manager... Everything worked fine. No issues

~Poisoned Viper4g LTEvOne by TeamVenom, Lionheart Cranked to 1.72Jigawats Deadline: Ca1ned.

sidneyk

Nov 16, 2011
Bonner Springs, KS
Strange. But I copped the blob from twrp site as "not recommended" suposedly. Ran the command in terminal cuz I don't Fux with goo manager... Everything worked fine. No issues

~Poisoned Viper4g LTEvOne by TeamVenom, Lionheart Cranked to 1.72Jigawats Deadline: Ca1ned.

Since it's installed now and it wiped my data without asking, I'm going to clear things out and reflash everything. I will test if it tries to wipe my data again after I reinstall a few apps.

cbrox

Sep 8, 2011
Florida
running great with no issues I used goo manager app but i flashed it through the flash roms selection on the main menu not the 3-dot menu install open recovery script selection.

ViViDboarder

Mar 25, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I thought I would give this a try and went to the TWRP page link as instructed. Followed the instructions to download the open recovery through goo manager, which it did and it rebooted my tablet and all looked good. I then tried to reboot to recovery from Team EOS3 Power menu. The usual TWRP blue curtain was there and when it raised, I saw the text at the bottom that my /data partition was being formatted without formatting /data/media and the tablet rebooted, without ever getting to the TWRP recovery menu and I'm now back at the initial Google setup screen. Guess I should have made a fresh Titanium backup first. A warning would have been nice, or is this a bug?

Did you ever try to use goo manager with the old unofficial version?

Sent from my HTC One S using xda premium

Reactions: poging22

sidneyk

Nov 16, 2011
Bonner Springs, KS
Did you ever try to use goo manager with the old unofficial version?

Sent from my HTC One S using xda premium

No, I was using RaymanFX's TWRP build prior to this and before that Team Rogue Touch and before that Roach's CWM build, all flashed from within recovery. I only did the GooManager thing because that was the recommended method. Subsequent boots to recovery did not reproduce the data wipe and after reflashing my ROM and restoring my apps, I went into recovery without a hitch. It was only after installing this one through GooManager per the instructions. It downloaded, rebooted and flashed and rebooted back to Android (Team EOS3 JB #57). After a few minutes I rebooted to recovery from the Power menu in EOS3 and as soon as the blue curtain raised it was wiping my data partition - /data/media. Of course, I didn't expect that and didn't get any chance to stop it. I know I read somewhere before that open recovery wasn't working on the TF101, but since this was new and it was recommended to use open recovery, I just assumed that meant it was now working. Oh well, all is well now.

Last edited:

cbrox

Sep 8, 2011
Florida
never mind i figured it out, open recovery only works with internal for now.(it may be because TWRP-2.2.1.4 is mounting the micro SD as /sdc instead of /storage/sdcard0) I moved the goomanager folder to /data/media updated the download folder location in the goomanager app settings to /data/media/goomanager re-ran flash roms from the goomanager apps made my selections and order to flash and selected wipe Cache and Dalvik and it ran just fine, it rebooted to recovery, flashed all the zips(including my mods) in the proper order and booted back up with no issues.
Running EOS3-N58 at this time.
Dam sweet once i figured it out!
Great job!
Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: sidneyk

sidneyk

Nov 16, 2011
Bonner Springs, KS
never mind i figured it out, open recovery only works with internal for now.(it may be because TWRP-2.2.1.4 is mounting the micro SD as /sdc instead of /storage/sdcard0) I moved the goomanager folder to /data/media updated the download folder location in the goomanager app settings to /data/media/goomanager re-ran flash roms from the goomanager apps made my selections and order to flash and selected wipe Cache and Dalvik and it ran just fine, it rebooted to recovery, flashed all the zips(including my mods) in the proper order and booted back up with no issues.
Running EOS3-N58 at this time.
Dam sweet once i figured it out!
Great job!
Thanks

I had already flashed EOS3-N58, but had changed some files experimenting with getting Polaris Office to work and gave up. So, I followed your suggestion and moved a few other files that I normally flash along with the ROM and it worked like a charm. Pretty nifty. I setup the order to flash for EOS3-N58, gapps, Guevor kernel, nVidia codecs, iobusy, and DSP Manager along with the preliminary cache and Dalvik cache wipes and it just worked like you say. Thanks. I hadn't tried that feature yet, mostly because until now I thought it might break something since I had read that open scripting wasn't working yet for TF101 somewhere. I can say now, with this recovery and your change to the download folder, that it is working and working well. You just have to have whatever files you want to flash in that folder (or maybe just somewhere in /data/media) and you're good to go.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 2.3, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Phone look:

Tablet look:

CHANGELOG for 2.3.2.3:
    -Fixes / enhancements to handle the multiple user setup introduced by Android 4.2 (see notes)
    -Fixed a bug with deleting a backup with a space in the name
    -Added highlights on keyboard key presses
    -TF101: Ignore blkid when mounting /data

CHANGELOG for 2.3.0.0:
    -Rebased onto AOSP Jelly Bean source code
    -Rewrote backup, restore, wipe, and mount code in C++ classes for easier maintenance going forward
    NOTE: backups from prior versions of TWRP are still compatible with 2.3
    -ADB sideload functionality from AOSP is included in 2.3, see this link for more info
    -Re-wrote fix permissions entirely in C++ and runs in a few seconds instead of a few minutes (thanks to bigbiff)
    -Improvements to zip finding in OpenRecoveryScript (should be a lot fewer GooManager automation issues)
    -Faster boot times
    -Added charging indicator while in recovery (only updates once every 60 seconds)

While this update may not bring a host of new must-have features, this update is a significant re-write of much of the core TWRP code. AOSP Jelly Bean recovery source moved to mostly C++ code and now all of the "TWRP" code is fully rewritten into C++ as well. Now that we've laid this groundwork, we're in a much better position to pull in future AOSP recovery updates as well as implementing more great new features.

Since TWRP 2.3 is based on AOSP jelly bean sources, TWRP now uses recovery API 3 instead of 2. Some zips may no longer work if the developer is using an out-of-date update-binary. This API change should not be a problem on newer devices, but older devices will probably encounter several zips that need to be updated. If needed, you can try using this update-binary that was compiled with current sources. It goes in your zip file in the META-INF/com/google/android folder.

DOWNLOAD:
    The fastest and easiest way to install TWRP is to use the GooManager app:
    Play Store Link
    Direct Download
    1) Install GooManager from the Play Store
    2) Open GooManager and provide root permissions
    3) Hit Menu (or the button with the 3 dots on your screen) and then Install OpenRecovery
    OR:
    You can find more information and download links on our website!
    NOTE: If you're coming from another build of TWRP, you may need to go into settings and tap reset defaults to reset the storage paths so that you can see your zip files.

BUGS:
    If you have found a bug, please acquire a recovery.log - you can do this in two ways - the fastest is "adb pull /tmp/recovery.log" right after you have the issue. Alternatively in the advanced menu there's an option to copy the log to the sdcard. Also consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 30 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
    Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.
    Hey guys. I've been pretty busy lately and haven't spent much time on Android stuff lately. I'm just getting settled in to a new apartment so I'll be able to take a look at building the latest source once I get all set up.

I'll try to document as I do it so that someone else can take over maintaining after this build as it will probably be my last "official" build for this device. I just haven't had the time to keep up to date even on all the things Dees_Troy is doing with Twrp as of late.

So, I'll touch base with him soon and try to get this built.
    We also now back up and restore boot! Yay!

Want to compile yourself?

I'm using this config: https://github.com/ViViDboarder/android_device_asus_tf101
    And this kernel: https://github.com/ViViDboarder/android_kernel_TF101
    And compiling against CM9 source tree

Further device specific announcements will go here

A few thanks for this specific build:
    Roach2010 for helping be me test and find the mystery kernel
    RaymanFX for finding a config that worked. Still not sure where he found it yet exactly
    And... Dees_Troy and eyeballer for their relentless nagging ;)
    Guys, guys.

Don't tell anyone, but I just flashed my Asus Transformer with my own custom CM10.1 build, using my own custom TWRP 2.5 build.

And the thing aint bricked. :D

Long (way to ****ing long) story short:
    - use a CM9 ICS base
    - use vivid-boarders's device trees as listed on page 1
    - alter BoardConfig.mk to use vividboarder's kernel-config
    - enable LZMA ramdisk in vividboarder's kernel-config instead of GZIP
    - replace minigzip with lzma in build/core/config
    - update LD_LIBRARY path in recovery init.rc
    - add additional things to recovery.fstab
    - (plus a bunch of boardconfig.mk tweaks for TWRP behaviour once booted)
    - build
    - flash
    - boot

Going to do some more testing before I declare this a 100% success. Things like backup, restore, using external microSD for anything at all, etc remaing untested.

But for now, some major hurdles have been overcome, and I'm (finally) confident that our transformer will enjoy 2.5.0.0, and possibly future versions of TWRP as well.

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Tested working:
    - Flash ZIP from internal (4.2) storage.
    - Flash ZIP from vfat-formatted microSD.
    - Flash from both internal and microSD in same operation.
    - Wiping cache/dalvik.
    - Backup to microSD. (only /system tested)
    - Restore from microSD. (only /system tested)

Tested NOT working:
    - reboot to system (it loops back into recovery unless you hold volume down while booting and force cold boot)
    - dock-keyboard anywhere in TWRP. (Did it use to work?)

NOT tested at all:
    - regular SD-cards in dock, because my dock's SD-card tray cant lock the card inside, so it just pops out.
    - USB storage (dock or no dock), but I expect it not to work either.

Not perfect, but I guess it's time to create a new thread? Let's do some more testing and improvements together? It's late here. so I'll get at it tomorrow and maybe I'll even post some builds :p

(Edit: Not just to be an ass, but I'd like to do things properly and have everything, build-documentation, proper github repos, etc, in place.)
    Has ViViDboarder abandoned this project? What's going on? :what:

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Not sure abandoned is the word. He's still around and can answer some questions about this thing, if you PM him.

I've tried to create a few updated builds, but have so far been unsuccessfull in getting a build which:

1. is small enough to flash on a stock recovery partition (although that seems to have been partially adressed in later 2.4.x releases)
    2. has a kernel which is "good" for recovery
    3. and which boots

It's really bugging me, because the second we don't even have an up to date recovery, you know your device's days are numbered.

I'll just PM vividboarder and ask him politely if we wants to have another shot at this ;)