[RECOVERY] TWRP 2.8.3.0 for Galaxy Tab 4 8 inch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

gr8nole

Oct 9, 2010
Lynchburg, VA
Support is discontinued. Between the 6 different variants that I made this recovery for, it has been downloaded less than 500 times total over a 2 month period. That tells me that this device is simply not popular enough for continued support.

Here is TWRP 2.8.3.0 (unofficial) for the Galaxy Tab 4, 8in (T330 & T331 & T335 & T337T & T360 & T365).

This has been briefly tested by @Rusell, but please be aware that there may be a few bugs still. I do not own this device, so please be very specific when reporting any bugs you may find.

This is not a "direct from source build" (I will eventually switch to that method), but instead, it is a port from my Tab 31x version using stock Tab 4 zImage and DT image.

NOTES:
  • The new MTP feature of TWRP may cause issues with ADB access while in recovery. You may need to toggle "Disable MTP" a from the "mounts" menu to get ADB access.
  • 64gb sdcards are reported to not work in this TWRP
  • All versions of TWRP occasionally give the "can't mount /system" error. If you get this error, simply reboot recovery and try again.

Click HERE for the latest version.

Please report any bugs here in this thread and attach the recovery.log. Advanced --> Copy log to SDcard --> Then attach the log to your post.

Credits go to:
@Rusell for initial testing
and of course the Team Win group

Supplied in 3 formats:

• Odin flashable tar.md5 (for first time installation)
  • Recovery flashable zip (requires a custom recovery to currently be installed)
  • .img file (for those who use Flashify or other direct methods).

Instructions for ODIN:
(use the one with "tar" in the name)
  1. Download ODIN on your computer.
  2. Power off the device.
  3. Restart in "Download Mode" by holding the "HOME" button, "Volume Down" and "Power" all at the same time (for about 5 seconds).
  4. Hit the "Volume Up" to enter download mode.
  5. Start the ODIN exe program. Un-check Auto Reboot. See notes about ODIN below.
  6. Connect the device via USB to your computer. Verify the device shows as "Added" in the Message box. If it doesn't show then you need the Samsung USB drivers (just install KIES to get them).
  7. Select "PDA" then choose the recovery file you want to flash.
  8. Hit "START". Wait for Odin to finish (~10-15 seconds). The message area will display "RES OK" when finished.
  9. Restart directly to recovery mode before rebooting into OS.(Hold POWER, Volume UP, and the HOME button all at the same time. When you see the Samsung Logo, let go of the POWER button, but keep holding the Volume UP and HOME until you see the recovery screen).

After you get the custom recovery working, you can flash the latest SuperSu zip to get root.

Notes about ODIN
--Make sure that "Re-Partition" is NOT checked.
--Auto Reboot can be un-checked if TWRP doesn't flash correctly on your device. Some have reported that un-checking Auto Reboot fixes this issue. If you un-check Auto Reboot, you will need to reboot the device yourself (refer back to step 9).

Flash at own risk!!!!
I take no responsibility for anything you do to your device. Flashing any custom recovery will trip KNOX.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DOWNLOADS

-
T310-TWRP-2.8.2.0.png

XDA:DevDB Information
[RECOVERY] TWRP 2.8.3.0 for Galaxy Tab 4 8 inch, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4

Contributors
gr8nole, moonbutt74

Version Information

Created 2014-12-22
Last Updated 2015-02-23

Last edited:

gr8nole

Oct 9, 2010
Lynchburg, VA
CHANGELOG

All versions - fixed color
See TWRP site for other changes

T330

v2 - Disabled screen timeout to prevent freeze ups. You may (or may not) still see the setting, but the screen will not timeout.

v1 - Initial release

======================
T331
test1 - Initial test -working

======================
T335

======================
T365
test2 - WORKING

test1 - not working

-

Last edited:

Rusell

Oct 25, 2014
Houston
:/

BUG:
When making a backup (Around 42%) The tablet just crashes for a second and shuts down. :confused:

Forgot to mention that my screen timeout is disabled....

Reactions: gr8nole

Rusell

Oct 25, 2014
Houston
I need recovery log.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Re-installed recovery now it is working well. However this time i am backing up on my external SD, maybe i didn't have enough space in my internal storage.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

BUG (Again :eek: )
When the screen times out, you can't wake up the device it just deep sleep. I'm going to try to pull out a recovery log.

gr8nole

Oct 9, 2010
Lynchburg, VA
Re-installed recovery now it is working well. However this time i am backing up on my external SD, maybe i didn't have enough space in my internal storage.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

BUG (Again :eek: )
When the screen times out, you can't wake up the device it just deep sleep. I'm going to try to pull out a recovery log.

New v2 uploaded. http://d-h.st/bpb

I added a flag to disable the screen timeout. Let me know if it works.

Dewang rocky

Nov 29, 2014
i beg you

can anyone please port a recovery to smt331
anyone i mean that should be custom like my favourite cwm

gr8nole

Oct 9, 2010
Lynchburg, VA
NVM in the settings it says it is set for 60 seconds but it never times out.

Ok, the reason you still see the screen timeout settings is because that info was saved in the TWRP settings file. This would only affect you because no-one else has flashed a version that had screen timeout. If you delete the TWRP/.twrps file from your internal storage, then you won't see the timeout settings anymore. That page will only show brightness control. Either way, the timeout is disabled and should cause no more problems. :good:

Thanks for testing!

Reactions: Rusell

Antrobot200

Mar 12, 2013
Flashing TWRP recovery successful on sm-T330nu

I have successfully flashed TWRP recovery on my Tablet, sm-T330nu
using the easy instructions provided by the OP, gr8nole.
I tested this recovery by flashing the supersu 2.40 and did a backup of
the stock rom. This recovery is great and working fine.
I have not face any screen freeze up during this test.
When wiping cache/dalvik, it takes a bit long about 4 mins to finished.

Thank you gr8nole for your hard work and great TWRP.

Antrobot200

Mar 12, 2013
The stock rom backup using this TWRP recovery
is 2.89gb large. This stock rom had many not needed
apps removed and only a few small games.

Is this backup size normal for a stock rom of
a samsung tablet T330nu ?

gr8nole

Oct 9, 2010
Lynchburg, VA
The stock rom backup using this TWRP recovery
is 2.89gb large. This stock rom had many not needed
apps removed and only a few small games.

Is this backup size normal for a stock rom of
a samsung tablet T330nu ?

That doesn't seem to be too big. Samsung roms are typically very big. Look into the backup folder and see what the size of the pieces of the backup are. It may be a lot of data.

Edit: On my Tab 3, my backup is about 3 gb with a mildly debloated Samsung rom.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Antrobot200

Antrobot200

Mar 12, 2013
Thank you for your quick explaination about
the backup rom size. I am glad it is the normal
size for this tablet. This is my first samsung tablet
so I am still learning a lot about using it.

rsktkr1

Nov 10, 2009
DENVER
For some reason this won't install for me in odin. I go through the process and when I boot into recovery it takes me into stock recovery. I renamed the file T330.TWRP.2.8.2.0.v2.tar.md5.exe with .tar extension and it flashes but but when I go into recovery its stock recovery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Support is discontinued. Between the 6 different variants that I made this recovery for, it has been downloaded less than 500 times total over a 2 month period. That tells me that this device is simply not popular enough for continued support.

Here is TWRP 2.8.3.0 (unofficial) for the Galaxy Tab 4, 8in (T330 & T331 & T335 & T337T & T360 & T365).

This has been briefly tested by @Rusell, but please be aware that there may be a few bugs still. I do not own this device, so please be very specific when reporting any bugs you may find.

This is not a "direct from source build" (I will eventually switch to that method), but instead, it is a port from my Tab 31x version using stock Tab 4 zImage and DT image.

NOTES:
    • The new MTP feature of TWRP may cause issues with ADB access while in recovery. You may need to toggle "Disable MTP" a from the "mounts" menu to get ADB access.
    • 64gb sdcards are reported to not work in this TWRP
    • All versions of TWRP occasionally give the "can't mount /system" error. If you get this error, simply reboot recovery and try again.

Please report any bugs here in this thread and attach the recovery.log. Advanced --> Copy log to SDcard --> Then attach the log to your post.

Credits go to:
    @Rusell for initial testing
    and of course the Team Win group

Supplied in 3 formats:

• Odin flashable tar.md5 (for first time installation)
    • Recovery flashable zip (requires a custom recovery to currently be installed)
    • .img file (for those who use Flashify or other direct methods).

Instructions for ODIN:
    (use the one with "tar" in the name)
    1. Download ODIN on your computer.
    2. Power off the device.
    3. Restart in "Download Mode" by holding the "HOME" button, "Volume Down" and "Power" all at the same time (for about 5 seconds).
    4. Hit the "Volume Up" to enter download mode.
    5. Start the ODIN exe program. Un-check Auto Reboot. See notes about ODIN below.
    6. Connect the device via USB to your computer. Verify the device shows as "Added" in the Message box. If it doesn't show then you need the Samsung USB drivers (just install KIES to get them).
    7. Select "PDA" then choose the recovery file you want to flash.
    8. Hit "START". Wait for Odin to finish (~10-15 seconds). The message area will display "RES OK" when finished.
    9. Restart directly to recovery mode before rebooting into OS.(Hold POWER, Volume UP, and the HOME button all at the same time. When you see the Samsung Logo, let go of the POWER button, but keep holding the Volume UP and HOME until you see the recovery screen).

After you get the custom recovery working, you can flash the latest SuperSu zip to get root.

Notes about ODIN
    --Make sure that "Re-Partition" is NOT checked.
    --Auto Reboot can be un-checked if TWRP doesn't flash correctly on your device. Some have reported that un-checking Auto Reboot fixes this issue. If you un-check Auto Reboot, you will need to reboot the device yourself (refer back to step 9).

Flash at own risk!!!!
    I take no responsibility for anything you do to your device. Flashing any custom recovery will trip KNOX.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    DOWNLOADS

-
    T310-TWRP-2.8.2.0.png

XDA:DevDB Information
    [RECOVERY] TWRP 2.8.3.0 for Galaxy Tab 4 8 inch, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4

Contributors
    gr8nole, moonbutt74

Version Information

Created 2014-12-22
    Last Updated 2015-02-23
    CHANGELOG

All versions - fixed color
    See TWRP site for other changes

T330

v2 - Disabled screen timeout to prevent freeze ups. You may (or may not) still see the setting, but the screen will not timeout.

v1 - Initial release

======================
    T331

======================
    T335

======================
    T365
    test2 - WORKING

test1 - not working

-
    Reserved

Other 8 inch Tab 4 variants.

If you want this for your tablet
    , you must post your stock recovery.img and test for me. It should be easy to make for T331, T335, etc... as long as your bootloader isn't locked.

-
    BUG:
    When making a backup (Around 42%) The tablet just crashes for a second and shuts down. :confused:

Forgot to mention that my screen timeout is disabled....

I need recovery log.

Follow the link in OP.

I'm working on adb pull ing the 377t boot.img and system.img, ill forward you the boot @gr8nole