[RECOVERY] TWRP 2.8.6.0 for Shield TV (all variants)

Search This thread

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
I was going to wait for this device to be added to devdb to make a release thread, but that's being delayed, if it'll ever happen. So, I'm making this thread as a placeholder. No big fancy text, just a known problem list and the release. If you're looking for this, you probably know what to do with it. Everything should work from flashing to backup and restore from all external media. If it doesn't, please report it.

KNOWN PROBLEMS:
1. This is a multirom edition of twrp, but there's no multirom support yet.
2. My wireless keyboard / mouse combo (an old Logitech MX something or another) fails to initialize the mouse on boot. I have to unplug and replug the USB receiver for the mouse to work. My wired mouse doesn't do this. I'm curious if anyone else sees a similar problem or if there's something weird with my hardware.

SOURCE:
device (branch cm-12.1-mrom)
kernel
vendor

CURRENT RELEASE:
For Android M:
twrp-20160222-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img
Known Issue: This release does not work on 4K displays. It boots to a black screen. Please use a 1080p display for TWRP until this is fixed.

For Android L:
twrp-multirom-20151112-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img

OLD RELEASES:
twrp-multirom-20150630-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img
twrp-multirom-20150624-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img
twrp-multirom-20150613-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img

Last edited:

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
MultiRom will be a must have on this device.

I really appreciate your work, and reading the various thread on xda I found out that you're one of the best developers for Nvidia Shield devices.

Without people like you we would all be locked in a large digital cage.

Compliments

Last edited:

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
I'm starting to slowly look at what I can disable in the kernel to shrink it down enough to fit in the recovery partition. Unfortunately, my first two ideas, network and sound, can't be unilaterally removed due to the android USB gadget (used for adb) depending on them. I've got it down to 26 MB, but iI dont know if it still boots. I'll try a few more things and hopefully have something working in the next couple days. I'm also hoping Tasssadar merges the 2.8.7.0 changes soon, the resize functionality will be useful (in testing I somehow shrunk my user data partition to 11 GB and had to reformat it get the full 4?? GB back).

Reactions: Natakranta

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Or it could be quicker than I thought. Todays test was successful. It's small enough to barely fit in the partition and appears to work correct. The link is in the OP. The next update to the multirom TWRP will probably make it too big again and I'll have to rip some more stuff out...

JohnHenryIron

Sep 20, 2014
I want to install twrp recovery on my 16gb Shield, but i have no need for multirom. Is there an option to bypass the boot option or should I wait for a standard TWRP?
You didn't take much of a break before going back at it again. Thanks for your dedication!

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Well, I'm not going back at it fully yet. Next week and a half will likely be pretty busy. I'm just doing a piece here and there.

This TWRP has multirom support, but does not require it or even set it up by default. In fact, to enable multirom, you have to install a separate zip (which I haven't released because it doesn't work). So no, you won't see any extra boot screens with this.

A standard TWRP build should be simple to make with the sources I've linked in the OP. I haven't released one here (or on any device I support) because I don't want to support it directly (basically, I'm supporting what I use myself). If no one else makes one, I might make a one time build for those that want it.

cdsn99

Aug 16, 2010
Hi Steel01, thanks for your efforts. I am a rookie at best at this, however, I managed to get this installed to my 16 gb shield tv, all appears to work fine, except I am unable to pair the shield remote, the shield game controller paired fine, but not the remote, just curious is this is expected, or maybe something wrong on my end. Also, If I wanted to load another rom at some point, is it as simple as booting to the twrp screen and selecting install? Hope that doesn't sound like a dumb question, I'm just a little unsure of that exact process. thanks

Josti-Band

Jun 27, 2015
Remote controller fix

Hi Steel01, thanks for your efforts. I am a rookie at best at this, however, I managed to get this installed to my 16 gb shield tv, all appears to work fine, except I am unable to pair the shield remote, the shield game controller paired fine, but not the remote, just curious is this is expected, or maybe something wrong on my end. Also, If I wanted to load another rom at some point, is it as simple as booting to the twrp screen and selecting install? Hope that doesn't sound like a dumb question, I'm just a little unsure of that exact process. thanks

Do not worry and follow these simple steps to fix your remote controller problem:
This is quite normal after a system reset or wipe.

If the remote did not connect:

If the microphone symbol is not flashing, hold down the back and home buttons at the same time until it flashes (3 seconds).

If the microphone symbol does not flash after holding for 3 seconds, charge the remote and try again.

To charge the remote, connect it to one of the USB ports on the back of your SHIELD with the included USB cable or connect it to another USB power source.

---------- Post added at 06:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 AM ----------

Hi Steel01, . Also, If I wanted to load another rom at some point, is it as simple as booting to the twrp screen and selecting install? Hope that doesn't sound like a dumb question, I'm just a little unsure of that exact process. thanks

Yes with TWRP it is very easy to flash a new rom, it is also recommended to use the recovery roms for updating your system.
Instead of running the OTO updates because this will undo your Root modification and reinstall the original recovery partition.
Download the correct firmware from this forum from the nvidia developers network, place it on a SD card boot to recovery and flash.

As a final suggestion have a look at the Flashify utllity (not compatible yet) or similar from the appstore, that a simple front end for flashing & backing up boot and recovery partitions. And it will enable you to boot to recovery in one click.

I have TWRP running on my Shield Portable / Shield Tablet without any problems.

Enjoy

Last edited:

cdsn99

Aug 16, 2010
Do not worry and follow these simple steps to fix your remote controller problem:
This is quite normal after a system reset or wipe.

If the remote did not connect:

If the microphone symbol is not flashing, hold down the back and home buttons at the same time until it flashes (3 seconds).

If the microphone symbol does not flash after holding for 3 seconds, charge the remote and try again.

To charge the remote, connect it to one of the USB ports on the back of your SHIELD with the included USB cable or connect it to another USB power source.

---------- Post added at 06:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 AM ----------

Yes with TWRP it is very easy to flash a new rom, it is also recommended to use the recovery roms for updating your system.
Instead of running the OTO updates because this will undo your Root modification and reinstall the original recovery partition.
Download the correct firmware from this forum from the nvidia developers network, place it on a SD card boot to recovery and flash.

As a final suggestion have a look at the Flashify utllity (not compatible yet) or similar from the appstore, that a simple front end for flashing & backing up boot and recovery partitions. And it will enable you to boot to recovery in one click.

Enjoy

Thanks Josti-Band , that fixed my remote, I appreciate it greatly. Thanks also for the info on flashing, I'm still have one more question, when I flashed the img file from this thread TWRP, did I change the rom or just the recovery? It seems like the rom is the original that was on the shield tv, If rom was not changed do you or anyone else have a recommendation. Thanks again for the assistance.

Josti-Band

Jun 27, 2015
Thanks Josti-Band , that fixed my remote, I appreciate it greatly. Thanks also for the info on flashing, I'm still have one more question, when I flashed the img file from this thread TWRP, did I change the rom or just the recovery? It seems like the rom is the original that was on the shield tv, If rom was not changed do you or anyone else have a recommendation. Thanks again for the assistance.

No Problem, Your Shield TV has basically 3 partitions (to keep it simple)
1) Boot
2) Recovery
3) OS/Data (Rom)

With the steps you have followed
a) you unlocked your 1) bootloader, to enable the installation of unsigned packages to make this possible your personal data was erased/wiped from the 3) OS/Data partition.

b) Then you applied a new TWRP image to the recovery partition an replacing the old one.

So your 3) OS/Data (Rom) is still the original one you only wiped the personal data clean when unlocking the bootloader, this also the partition you will write your updated recovery images to. And stay updated.

cdsn99

Aug 16, 2010

Enjoy[/QUOTE]

No Problem, Your Shield TV has basically 3 partitions (to keep it simple)
1) Boot
2) Recovery
3) OS/Data (Rom)

With the steps you have followed
a) you unlocked your 1) bootloader, to enable the installation of unsigned packages to make this possible your personal data was erased/wiped from the 3) OS/Data partition.

b) Then you applied a new TWRP image to the recovery partition an replacing the old one.

So your 3) OS/Data (Rom) is still the original one you only wiped the personal data clean when unlocking the bootloader, this also the partition you will write your updated recovery images to. And stay updated.

Thank you, that makes better sense, I will try and load a rom and gapps and see how it goes. thanks again for the assistance

cdsn99

Aug 16, 2010
2. My wireless keyboard / mouse combo (an old Logitech MX something or another) fails to initialize the mouse on boot. I have to unplug and replug the USB receiver for the mouse to work. My wired mouse doesn't do this. I'm curious if anyone else sees a similar problem or if there's something weird with my hardware.

Hi Steel01 , I have a logitech k400r wireless keyboard and mouse, it seemed to work ok, except was very laggy, had to wait for it a few seconds each time I went to move the mouse, and sometimes mouse would freeze.

cdsn99

Aug 16, 2010
I have edited and deleted the orginal text from this post,and moved it to it's own thread. I realized I was beginning to hijack steels thread, I couldn't find a way to just delete the whole post, sorry.

Last edited:

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Tassadar merged TWRP 2.8.7.0 into his multirom twrp fork today. So I ran new builds for everything I support. Unfortunately, I have not been able to test this device (TV's been busy all night), so YMMV. The other builds came off fine, so I don't see why this one should have any problems the last build didn't. Of interest in this build is the partition resize feature. So if someone does something weird like I did and ends up with an 11 GB data partition on the pro, it'll be *much* easier and quicker to fix now. Build is in the OP.

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
Tassadar merged TWRP 2.8.7.0 into his multirom twrp fork today. So I ran new builds for everything I support. Unfortunately, I have not been able to test this device (TV's been busy all night), so YMMV. The other builds came off fine, so I don't see why this one should have any problems the last build didn't. Of interest in this build is the partition resize feature. So if someone does something weird like I did and ends up with an 11 GB data partition on the pro, it'll be *much* easier and quicker to fix now. Build is in the OP.

What about the kexec-hardboot patch ? Do you have already tried it ?
The others binary for multirom execution are the same for all arm64 devices like the nexus 9 or we need a specific build for shield ? I never played with multirom stuff. There are specific problems to solve ? In case i can help you with experiments if you don't have much time.

P.S.
I tried your patch for the framework and all others new Nvidia binary + resigned private apk like blakepairing and others. But this year Nvidia added many others things to the framework. You can see by yourself with dex2jar.
It's a shame that for a stupid controller there are all this bloatware inside the firmware. Very bad behaviour, that a so big company not publish drivers for an hardware that we have bought. Fortunately we can use also better wireless controllers. But this fact really remove 10000 points from Nvidia as good company.

Last edited:

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
I've worked very little on the multirom side of things. The kernel repo has a mrom branch with a kexec patch, which still boots to stock. However, there's something getting triggered in the multirom init program that is skipping the boot screen. I haven't tried to track that down yet.

The controller part is off-topic, but there isn't really anywhere else to discuss it yet. Maybe I'll open a CM thread for discussion and put not working in bold at the top. Anyways, the framework patches work with the blakepairing shipped with the Shield TV, that's what I ship with my portable and tablet builds. But you have to deodex and stuff the class file back in the apk. Or easier, use the one in my vendor repo and just resign it. That should at least run. On a side note, the underlying technologies are all open source. WiFi Direct, wps, hid, etc. It just a standard USB hid controller with a WiFi chip and USB sound card. It's driven by an xmega (iirc) as well, those are all pretty open. It's obfuscation atm that stops me from completely reimplementing the pairing open source.

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
I've worked very little on the multirom side of things. The kernel repo has a mrom branch with a kexec patch, which still boots to stock. However, there's something getting triggered in the multirom init program that is skipping the boot screen. I haven't tried to track that down yet.

The controller part is off-topic, but there isn't really anywhere else to discuss it yet. Maybe I'll open a CM thread for discussion and put not working in bold at the top. Anyways, the framework patches work with the blakepairing shipped with the Shield TV, that's what I ship with my portable and tablet builds. But you have to deodex and stuff the class file back in the apk. Or easier, use the one in my vendor repo and just resign it. That should at least run. On a side note, the underlying technologies are all open source. WiFi Direct, wps, hid, etc. It just a standard USB hid controller with a WiFi chip and USB sound card. It's driven by an xmega (iirc) as well, those are all pretty open. It's obfuscation atm that stops me from completely reimplementing the pairing open source.

Already tried all. deodexed and resigned stock stuff, also used your framework patch and your (resigned) apks . not work in shield console. as i write above in shield console there are others proprietary things in the framework. Tested also with your wpa_supplicant and hostapd but the result does not change.

In any way i will retry

We can discuss in a separate thread. sorry for off-topic. can be useful also for others developers

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2010
This is very interesting, please continue with this work! Would be great to get the remote working on other ROMs.
Thanks!

baileyjr

Aug 21, 2012
Cardiff
I
KNOWN PROBLEMS:

I have a logitech K830 keyboard with trackpad and have exactly the same issue as you. I have to unplug and replug the usb receiver before it will work with the recovery.

The recovery itself is working great for me. I can access my external usb hd from the file manager, and I did a TWRP backup to the external usb drive last night :good: Ive sideloaded this app to boot straight into the recovery from the TV.. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gt.reboot.utility

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was going to wait for this device to be added to devdb to make a release thread, but that's being delayed, if it'll ever happen. So, I'm making this thread as a placeholder. No big fancy text, just a known problem list and the release. If you're looking for this, you probably know what to do with it. Everything should work from flashing to backup and restore from all external media. If it doesn't, please report it.

KNOWN PROBLEMS:

SOURCE:
    device (branch cm-12.1-mrom)
    kernel
    vendor

CURRENT RELEASE:
    For Android M:
    Known Issue: This release does not work on 4K displays. It boots to a black screen. Please use a 1080p display for TWRP until this is fixed.

For Android L:
    twrp-multirom-20151112-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img

OLD RELEASES:
    twrp-multirom-20150630-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img
    twrp-multirom-20150624-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img
    twrp-multirom-20150613-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img
    Alright, here's a test release. Should be fully functional, but it has the screen refresh problem like the tablet does. However, it's less annoying here because the screen refreshes when the mouse moves. It's an upstream TWRP build because the multirom interface doesn't have a landscape theme yet, so it looks horrible on here. And I don't yet have the kernel and kexec-tools done, so no point. Multirom is working on the Nexus 6P, so I should be able to finish up support here once CM stabilizes a bit.

I'm surprised it boots at all. With the bootloader update similar to the tablets, I wouldn't expect the kernel to work. In any case, the official update is out, so I'll be updating and making a new release asap. I do have stuff going on all day today, though. I'll try to get a build tested and out tonight, but it might not happen until tomorrow.
    Well, good news. Been tinkering with the leaked vulkan image. Looks like Nvidia fixed the two major bootloader issues. I'm working on a new TWRP build. Not certain whether I'll release it yet, though. Probably not. Even though the kernel is using the shieldtablet branch (yes, believe it or not, Nvidia is actually making a unified kernel), the init stuff is pulled from the leaked ota. I don't want to release until it's all in the clear. Hopefully, that will be soon. And when it does, I should have a release out same day. Then I'll finally be able to ditch this thread and make a real devdb project...
    Sorry I haven't done much here recently. I've got everything pushed to official twrp, just need to actually sit down, check the last couple things, and tell them to run the official build. This will be up to date twrp 3.0.2, working adopted storage, all the bells and whistles, etc. Only thing that probably won't work will be 4k and I still don't have the hardware to test/fix that.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone