[RECOVERY] TWRP 2.8.6.0 for Shield TV (all variants)

Search This thread

zyphaz

Apr 7, 2008
It's part of the blob. You'll want to run:
fastboot flash blob staging

The blob has a few different partitions it can update, the bootloader being only one of them. On initialization, the first stage bootloader (like before fastboot, iiuc) will check to see if a properly signed image is on the staging partition and if so, will extract the partitions and reboot. That's why there's an extra reboot in the middle of the instructions.

Thanks. That was it.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot flash staging blob
target reported max download size of 67108864 bytes
sending 'staging' (4844 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.176s]
writing 'staging'...
OKAY [ 0.135s]
finished. total time: 0.314s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot flash recovery twrp-20160222-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img
target reported max download size of 67108864 bytes
sending 'recovery' (21726 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.714s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.173s]
finished. total time: 0.890s
:good::laugh:

Mogster2K

Jun 25, 2011
I've run into a problem with update 3.2 - I set up my SD card as adopted storage, and it seems TWRP doesn't mount it correctly. It mounts the 16 MB partition as /external_sd instead of the ~60 GB encrypted partition. Meh. I may go back to Full Android anyway; 3.2 seems unstable.

Speaking of which, any word on MultiROM? I can help test it.

Last edited:

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
I need to release a new build of twrp to fix the adopted storage problem. Same thing happened on the tablet, so I know what needs fixed. Also, there's been a kernel update that should fix the skippy rendering problems. If I'd just sit down and finish it, I should be able to get this released officially pretty easily.

Multirom 'works' with emphasis on the hanging quotes. There's a couple big hacks in it, one major annoyance, and one minor annoyance. The hacks boil down to the dtb and to the user means only one version of android ROMs can be used, in this case M based ROMs. The major annoyance is when booting to a secondary, the display will turn off and you have to wait two minutes before it will reset and boot to the secondary. The minor annoyance is that you have to have the controller plugged in wired to make a boot selection and sometimes the controller isn't detected correctly. At best, I could do an experimental release with those listed as kmown issues. Side note, I've been chasing that reset issue for months now and still haven't found a way to properly reset the device...

Mogster2K

Jun 25, 2011
Does it have to be a controller? Would a USB mouse or keyboard work instead?

Anyway, thanks for working on this.

tailslol

Sep 20, 2015
Does it have to be a controller? Would a USB mouse or keyboard work instead?

Anyway, thanks for working on this.

well imagine the shield more as a skinned computer than a console.
so yes if you want to do any deep tweaking , do not expect to make it with a controller.
Android is Linux based after all.
so yes keyboard ,touchpad,mouse or all in one keyboard is always a must have.
especially with those accessories has been used for years in the computer world.

Cybertom3000

Sep 30, 2015
Berlin
Some months ago I installed TWRP 3.0.0-0 on my NSTV (it's probably from Hammerhead). I did this a novice (very stupid as I can see now:() and this TWRP-Version doesn't work for flashing Custom Roms. And it even failed flashing twrp-20160222-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img. Is there a way to install 20160222-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img again?

Last edited:

hallydamaster

Aug 27, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Some months ago I installed TWRP 3.0.0-0 on my NSTV (it's probably from Hammerhead). I did this a novice (very stupid as I can see now:() and this TWRP-Version doesn't work for flashing Custom Roms. And it even failed flashing twrp-20160222-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img. Is there a way to install 20160222-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img again?
You have to install it from fastboot. Reboot your device to fastboot, and then flash the image from there.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA-Developers mobile app

hadeees

Aug 29, 2016
So I'm getting the blank screen when I boot into TWRP as if I have a 4k monitor but I only have a 1080p OLED. I wonder if the OLED is the problem?

The model I have is LG 55EC9300: 55-Inch Curved OLED TV. If I converted the HDMI to VGA do you think it would work?

jaydee 77

May 27, 2011
I need to release a new build of twrp to fix the adopted storage problem. Same thing happened on the tablet, so I know what needs fixed. Also, there's been a kernel update that should fix the skippy rendering problems. If I'd just sit down and finish it, I should be able to get this released officially pretty easily.
Are you still working on a new TWRP build? This would be great.

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Sorry I haven't done much here recently. I've got everything pushed to official twrp, just need to actually sit down, check the last couple things, and tell them to run the official build. This will be up to date twrp 3.0.2, working adopted storage, all the bells and whistles, etc. Only thing that probably won't work will be 4k and I still don't have the hardware to test/fix that.

mattkilla420

Dec 10, 2012
greensboro
Samsung Galaxy S21
Sorry I haven't done much here recently. I've got everything pushed to official twrp, just need to actually sit down, check the last couple things, and tell them to run the official build. This will be up to date twrp 3.0.2, working adopted storage, all the bells and whistles, etc. Only thing that probably won't work will be 4k and I still don't have the hardware to test/fix that.
Great to hear! 4k is not a deal breaker. Thanks man

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was going to wait for this device to be added to devdb to make a release thread, but that's being delayed, if it'll ever happen. So, I'm making this thread as a placeholder. No big fancy text, just a known problem list and the release. If you're looking for this, you probably know what to do with it. Everything should work from flashing to backup and restore from all external media. If it doesn't, please report it.

KNOWN PROBLEMS:
    1. This is a multirom edition of twrp, but there's no multirom support yet.
    2. My wireless keyboard / mouse combo (an old Logitech MX something or another) fails to initialize the mouse on boot. I have to unplug and replug the USB receiver for the mouse to work. My wired mouse doesn't do this. I'm curious if anyone else sees a similar problem or if there's something weird with my hardware.

SOURCE:
    device (branch cm-12.1-mrom)
    kernel
    vendor

CURRENT RELEASE:
    For Android M:
    twrp-20160222-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img
    Known Issue: This release does not work on 4K displays. It boots to a black screen. Please use a 1080p display for TWRP until this is fixed.

For Android L:
    twrp-multirom-20151112-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img

OLD RELEASES:
    twrp-multirom-20150630-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img
    twrp-multirom-20150624-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img
    twrp-multirom-20150613-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img
    Alright, here's a test release. Should be fully functional, but it has the screen refresh problem like the tablet does. However, it's less annoying here because the screen refreshes when the mouse moves. It's an upstream TWRP build because the multirom interface doesn't have a landscape theme yet, so it looks horrible on here. And I don't yet have the kernel and kexec-tools done, so no point. Multirom is working on the Nexus 6P, so I should be able to finish up support here once CM stabilizes a bit.

twrp-20160222-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img
    I'm surprised it boots at all. With the bootloader update similar to the tablets, I wouldn't expect the kernel to work. In any case, the official update is out, so I'll be updating and making a new release asap. I do have stuff going on all day today, though. I'll try to get a build tested and out tonight, but it might not happen until tomorrow.
    Well, good news. Been tinkering with the leaked vulkan image. Looks like Nvidia fixed the two major bootloader issues. I'm working on a new TWRP build. Not certain whether I'll release it yet, though. Probably not. Even though the kernel is using the shieldtablet branch (yes, believe it or not, Nvidia is actually making a unified kernel), the init stuff is pulled from the leaked ota. I don't want to release until it's all in the clear. Hopefully, that will be soon. And when it does, I should have a release out same day. Then I'll finally be able to ditch this thread and make a real devdb project...