[RECOVERY] TWRP 2.8.6.x builds [NIGHTLY]

Search This thread

Olivier

Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 6, 2011
PREAMBLE
Team Win Recovery Project 2.x, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery image
 * [B]before[/B] flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

I'll keep this thread short and simple. Want a changelog or a list of features? Then visit teamw.in.

Want to see screenshots? They can be found here.

DOWNLOAD
You can always get the latest build from here.

INSTRUCTIONs
The builds can be flashed using an existing recovery. However, should you be unable to flash that ZIP (it seems like CM recovery can't flash it) then do the following:
  1. Download the latest TWRP nightly build and extract the recovery image (recovery.img)
  2. Put the file on the root of your internal storage (e.g. by doing "adb push recovery.img /sdcard")
  3. Use a Terminal Emulator on your phone or connect your device to your PC (type "adb shell" in that case) and run the following commands:

Code:
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/FOTAKernel

It doesn't work... Plox halp, dev?

There's absolutely nothing I can do without logs. Do the following:

Code:
adb pull boot.txt
adb pull tmp/recovery.log

Pull the these two files and post them here (also mention what ROM you currently use!) - otherwise your post will be ignored.

XDA:DevDB Information
TWRP for Sony Xperia Z, Tool/Utility for the Sony Xperia Z

Contributors
Olivier
Source Code: https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery

Version Information

Created 2014-12-24
Last Updated 2015-04-11

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 4,345
  • 2.png
    2.png
    151 KB · Views: 4,277

Olivier

Nov 6, 2011
HALP?

In some cases, TWRP won't work because the buffer for uncompressed ramdisks is too small (in the extract_elf_ramdisk binary) - is this my fault? NO! - Ask your ROM dev to cherry-pick these patches: gerrit.omnirom.org/#/q/topic:fusion3-twrp

Example:
Code:
RECOVERY BOOT
ANDROID! format...
Offset:      6137856
Size:        4961834
gunzip error -- Err:inflate -5
Failed to gunzip
cpio: logo.rle not created: newer or same age file exists
cpio: sbin/busybox not created: newer or same age file exists
8735 blocks

The problem is with the boot.img - I have already fixed that in OmniROM, Slim and my HodorKernel. Plus everyone who has flashed MultiROM isn't affected either.

Should your ROM dev be too lazy or just not willing to fix it in his ROM, flash this hack. It will serve you well for now.

Last edited:

hutilicious

Jul 8, 2013
GER
Hi, I cant get this to work with CM 12 by infected. Official twrp 2.8.0.1 works, if I flash this one CM recovery shows up.

This is my boot.txt
Wed Dec 24 12:02:04 GMT 2014
ANDROID BOOT
2354 blocks
__bionic_open_tzdata_path: ANDROID_DATA not set!
__bionic_open_tzdata_path: ANDROID_ROOT not set!
Wed Dec 24 12:02:07 GMT 2014

I cant find tmp/recovery.log
Is it located somewhere else?

Reactions: infected_

hutilicious

Jul 8, 2013
GER
Its not working for me on the FOTAKernel, here you have the log: boot.txt, and its better to mention on OP that dd command needs to be run as root ("adb root" before "adb shell" or "su" after "adb shell")

regards..

edit:

trying now;

https://github.com/omnirom/android_...mmit/2c51477bc064e52e4095ecae6df1dbe0dfcb5849

i'll let you know it a bit if it worked.

edit2:
awesome. its working, in the link below is latest infected yuga cm12 boot.img, compatible with TWRP 2.8.3.0 ..

https://www.mediafire.com/?9vnr7t9dmoysqau

thanks to @Olivier for figure it what was wrong.

Hi, thank you guys for figuring that out. Where is the difference between oliviers twrp build and the official one? Does the offical twrp build boot with this fix too?

Olivier

Nov 6, 2011
you didnt liked that i stated that you toke screenshots of the recovery flashed on "boot" and not FOTAKernel, and saying to everybody that is working?! yes, i did call you a cheater, because exactly what you did

Well, look at the date the commit was made - 26 September. This means I had figured this out a good while before I tried building TWRP 2.8.3.0, because that patch was intially needed for MultiROM TWRP. Hence, your argument is invalid, I didn't even need to "cheat" - why would I want to do that? I just didn't know TWRP had become this big as well and because my ROMs and kernels always include that commit, I hadn't noticed, whereas your build lacked it - you therefore assumed my build was broken and started attacking me. Does it make sense now?

Hi, thank you guys for figuring that out. Where is the difference between oliviers twrp build and the official one? Does the offical twrp build boot with this fix too?

The difference is that my build works. And no, IIRC the official build has another problem.

Last edited:

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
The recovery worked on his device because all of the kernels he builds have had that commit included since September. When you provided your logs it pointed to the fact that your kernel also needed it. Is there a language barrier here or something?

Also, Olivier can hardly be blamed because of something Team Win are responsible for.

You're obviously an intelligent person, but this is dragging on too far. Take a breath, realise you made a mistake and move on.

Sent from my C6603

Last edited:

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
I'll explain it as best I can:

Your first mistake was accusing him of cheating everyone by flashing the recovery.img on boot to get screenshots.

The recovery worked properly on his own device, therefore he obviously didn't need to do that.

You then later tried flashing it with commands that don't work on this device and to a location that doesn't even exist and blamed Olivier when it didn't work.

From this post:

Code:
[email protected]:/ # dd if=/sdcard/twrp-2.8.3.0-yuga.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery                                                      
21680+0 records in
21680+0 records out
11100160 bytes transferred in 0.690 secs (16087188 bytes/sec)

This device doesn't have a recovery partition. Flashing to that location will have no effect.

Proof:
QrrcfLk.jpg

Code:
[email protected] ~/Desktop $ sudo fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.3.0-yuga.img 
[sudo] password for infected_: 
sending 'recovery' (10840 KB)...
OKAY [  0.354s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.356s
[email protected] ~/Desktop $ sudo fastboot flash FOTAKernel twrp-2.8.3.0-yuga.img 
sending 'FOTAKernel' (10840 KB)...
OKAY [  0.343s]
writing 'FOTAKernel'...
FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.345s
[email protected] ~/Desktop $

Those fastboot commands aren't allowed on the yuga.

Edited as I read this back today and it was a bit abrupt. Apologies if it seemed so as that wasn't the intent. :)

Sent from my C6603

Last edited:

Alx31

May 15, 2013
Please stop all this useless drama...to get back on this thread's use :angel:

Unfortunetly im still on non booting twrp, i indeed applied that twrp-ify and this one too and using latest bootable recovery from omni repos.

yeah i should have brought logs, but i have to leave again; so will bring some overnight or tomorro. Just wanted to know if i forgot something...i don't fell like to revert all commits to 2.0.8.x versions wich back then was working ok if im not mistaken.
thx =)

Olivier

Nov 6, 2011
Okay some news: As stated above, it's possible to compress the recovery ramdisk using LZMA to make it fit without using my extract_elf_ramdisk hack. As a result, the ramdisk-recovery.cpio file is now 3.6 MB big (TWRP 2.8.3.0).
I have pushed some commits to the OmniROM gerrit - before merging them, I'd like some of our devs to test and confirm it works.

Link: gerrit.omnirom.org/#/q/topic:fusion3-twrp

Alx31

May 15, 2013
ok while using latest bootable recovery repo from omni and your latest changes... (this patch is still applied idk if i must take it off)

facing this issue

Code:
----- Making recovery image ------
----- Made recovery image -------- /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/product/yuga/recovery.img
Install: /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/product/yuga/system/priv-app/Telecom/Telecom.apk
Construct recovery from boot
mkdir -p /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/product/yuga/obj/PACKAGING/recovery_patch_intermediates/
PATH=/data1/sources/validus5/out/host/linux-x86/bin:$PATH /data1/sources/validus5/out/host/linux-x86/bin/imgdiff /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/product/yuga/boot.img /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/product/yuga/recovery.img /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/product/yuga/obj/PACKAGING/recovery_patch_intermediates/recovery_from_boot.p
Copying: /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/services_intermediates/classes-jarjar.jar
Copying: /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/services_intermediates/emma_out/lib/classes-jarjar.jar
Copying: /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/services_intermediates/classes.jar
source and target don't have same number of chunks!
source chunks:
chunk 0: type 0 start 0 len 18069
chunk 1: type 2 start 18069 len 16081028
chunk 2: type 0 start 6145090 len 968
chunk 3: type 2 start 6146058 len 9553152
chunk 4: type 0 start 11520489 len 1559
target chunks:
chunk 0: type 0 start 0 len 18069
chunk 1: type 2 start 18069 len 16081028
chunk 2: type 0 start 6145090 len 2825150
make: *** [/data1/sources/validus5/out/target/product/yuga/obj/PACKAGING/recovery_patch_intermediates/recovery_from_boot.p] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
target Java: ethernet-service (/data1/sources/validus5/out/target/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/ethernet-service_intermediates/classes)
DroidDoc took 22 sec. to write docs to /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/common/docs/api-stubs
/data1/sources/validus5/prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.8/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-linux-androideabi/4.8/../../../../arm-linux-androideabi/bin/ld.gold: warning: hidden symbol '__system_property_get' in /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/product/yuga/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/base_base_gyp_intermediates/base_base_gyp.a(sys_info_android.o) is referenced by DSO /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/product/yuga/obj/lib/libcutils.so
/data1/sources/validus5/prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.8/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-linux-androideabi/4.8/../../../../arm-linux-androideabi/bin/ld.gold: warning: hidden symbol 'SkBitmap::lockPixels() const' in /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/product/yuga/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/skia_skia_library_gyp_intermediates/skia_skia_library_gyp.a(SkBitmap.o) is referenced by DSO /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/product/yuga/obj/lib/libjnigraphics.so
/data1/sources/validus5/prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.8/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-linux-androideabi/4.8/../../../../arm-linux-androideabi/bin/ld.gold: warning: hidden symbol 'SkBitmap::unlockPixels() const' in /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/product/yuga/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/skia_skia_library_gyp_intermediates/skia_skia_library_gyp.a(SkBitmap.o) is referenced by DSO /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/product/yuga/obj/lib/libjnigraphics.so
/data1/sources/validus5/prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.8/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-linux-androideabi/4.8/../../../../arm-linux-androideabi/bin/ld.gold: warning: hidden symbol 'SkBitmap::notifyPixelsChanged() const' in /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/product/yuga/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/skia_skia_library_gyp_intermediates/skia_skia_library_gyp.a(SkBitmap.o) is referenced by DSO /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/product/yuga/obj/lib/libjnigraphics.so

#### make failed to build some targets ####

im using arm-linux-androideabi-4.8 from google with refs/tags/android-5.0.1_r1 and with cm cwm...its going ok

Olivier

Nov 6, 2011
facing this issue

That error (wherever it is, I can't find it) doesn't seem to be related to my commit - TWRP 2.8.3.0 builds for me in CM11, Omin 4.4 and Omni 5.0.

Code:
----- Made recovery image -------- /data1/sources/validus5/out/target/product/yuga/recovery.img

Means that it worked (possibly another commit causing the build error).

mohdsubaie

Jan 6, 2012
That error (wherever it is, I can't find it) doesn't seem to be related to my commit - TWRP 2.8.3.0 builds for me in CM11, Omin 4.4 and Omni 5.0.

Code:

Means that it worked (possibly another commit causing the build error).

Omni 5.0? Did you build it? If it is working mind sharing on XDA please?

Sent from my Xperia Z using XDA Free mobile app

Olivier

Nov 6, 2011
facing this issue

Just got the same error while building SlimLP. It seems like it tries to generate a recovery_from_boot.p file when it shouldn't (TARGET_NO_SEPARATE_RECOVERY is set to true in device/sony/common). This commit should fix it: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_build/commit/651987c5f2f78207edebdd821d1700a0464fdfb5

EDIT: This commit doesn't fix it either. Strangely, the build only fails with "bacon" as a target, but not with "bootimage".

Gesendet von meinem Xperia Z mit Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Alx31

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PREAMBLE
    Team Win Recovery Project 2.x, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery image
     * [B]before[/B] flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

I'll keep this thread short and simple. Want a changelog or a list of features? Then visit teamw.in.

Want to see screenshots? They can be found here.

DOWNLOAD
    You can always get the latest build from here.

INSTRUCTIONs
    The builds can be flashed using an existing recovery. However, should you be unable to flash that ZIP (it seems like CM recovery can't flash it) then do the following:
    1. Download the latest TWRP nightly build and extract the recovery image (recovery.img)
    2. Put the file on the root of your internal storage (e.g. by doing "adb push recovery.img /sdcard")
    3. Use a Terminal Emulator on your phone or connect your device to your PC (type "adb shell" in that case) and run the following commands:

Code:
      su
      dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/FOTAKernel

It doesn't work... Plox halp, dev?

There's absolutely nothing I can do without logs. Do the following:

Code:
    adb pull boot.txt
    adb pull tmp/recovery.log

Pull the these two files and post them here (also mention what ROM you currently use!) - otherwise your post will be ignored.

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP for Sony Xperia Z, Tool/Utility for the Sony Xperia Z

Contributors
    Olivier
    Source Code: https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery

Version Information

Created 2014-12-24
    Last Updated 2015-04-11
    HALP?

In some cases, TWRP won't work because the buffer for uncompressed ramdisks is too small (in the extract_elf_ramdisk binary) - is this my fault? NO! - Ask your ROM dev to cherry-pick these patches: gerrit.omnirom.org/#/q/topic:fusion3-twrp

Example:
    Code:
    RECOVERY BOOT
    ANDROID! format...
    Offset:      6137856
    Size:        4961834
    gunzip error -- Err:inflate -5
    Failed to gunzip
    cpio: sbin/busybox not created: newer or same age file exists
    8735 blocks

The problem is with the boot.img - I have already fixed that in OmniROM, Slim and my HodorKernel. Plus everyone who has flashed MultiROM isn't affected either.

Should your ROM dev be too lazy or just not willing to fix it in his ROM, flash this hack. It will serve you well for now.
    Okay guys, I'm closing this thread - just had a talk with @Dees_Troy, he has fixed the official builds (TWRP 2.8.4.1 works) which can be found here. Should you still face issues in the future, feel free to PM me.
    you didnt liked that i stated that you toke screenshots of the recovery flashed on "boot" and not FOTAKernel, and saying to everybody that is working?! yes, i did call you a cheater, because exactly what you did

Well, look at the date the commit was made - 26 September. This means I had figured this out a good while before I tried building TWRP 2.8.3.0, because that patch was intially needed for MultiROM TWRP. Hence, your argument is invalid, I didn't even need to "cheat" - why would I want to do that? I just didn't know TWRP had become this big as well and because my ROMs and kernels always include that commit, I hadn't noticed, whereas your build lacked it - you therefore assumed my build was broken and started attacking me. Does it make sense now?

The difference is that my build works. And no, IIRC the official build has another problem.
    Thread reopened - Based on a user's request, I have made a homemade TWRP build which supports F2FS. Check the OP for more.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone