• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Recovery] TWRP 3.1.1 for Xperia X

Search This thread

Glassed Silver

Apr 16, 2017
Same old story again... Just tried the Flashtool again, because there is nothing in the build.prop that seems to store the CDA unless it's encrypted in there which I really doubt.

This error is returned in Flashtool:
ERROR - Processing of system.sin finished with errors.

Booting the Xperia I get this:
notice about the unlocked BL
white screen
The software update failed. Make sure [blablabla]

You know what, I'd gladly take the FTF now. I mean, once my device identifies as German Generic ROM EMMA will gladly reflash it anyways.

As for TWRP/Magisk: Could I install Magisk with ADB/Fastboot and not install TWRP, hence getting systemless root AND being able to OTA update?

I assume I'd need to re-root the same after an OTA update though, right?

Really all I want is vanilla, OTA, systemless root and passing safety net. And obviously keeping ALL functions like X-Reality, DRM, etc...

eagleeyetom

Retired Senior Mod & DC Lead - Active Pole Dancer
Jan 22, 2011
Gdańsk
xda-developers.com
OnePlus 5
Same old story again... Just tried the Flashtool again, because there is nothing in the build.prop that seems to store the CDA unless it's encrypted in there which I really doubt.

This error is returned in Flashtool:

Booting the Xperia I get this:
notice about the unlocked BL
white screen

You know what, I'd gladly take the FTF now. I mean, once my device identifies as German Generic ROM EMMA will gladly reflash it anyways.

As for TWRP/Magisk: Could I install Magisk with ADB/Fastboot and not install TWRP, hence getting systemless root AND being able to OTA update?

I assume I'd need to re-root the same after an OTA update though, right?

Really all I want is vanilla, OTA, systemless root and passing safety net. And obviously keeping ALL functions like X-Reality, DRM, etc...

I'm uploading an FTF now. This will take a while since I have only 20 Mbps upload. Magisk won't work via ADB/Fastboot. You need to flash TWRP, root your phone and flash an update via FTF. You can also flash /system, /boot and fotakernel which contains the recovery and try to OTA. Sony devices are not the most friendly when it comes to updating without using any cables and a PC. I hope that you have a backup of your TA partition. It's needed to have fully functional level 1 DRM.

Last edited:

eagleeyetom

Retired Senior Mod & DC Lead - Active Pole Dancer
Jan 22, 2011
Gdańsk
xda-developers.com
OnePlus 5
sir can you help on Oreo ? after flashing latest build .364 (Oreo) (Suzu / F5121 / F5122) the TWRP cannot read internal partition. give password error

It doesn't work on Oreo yet. That freaking decryption is a headache. I and few other devs are working on it. Stay tuned. It will be released when it's done.

mbc07

Dec 12, 2013
Sony Xperia M
Sony Xperia X
For the next release, could you guys add "apps_log", "diag", "persist", "ssd" and "TA" partitions to the list of backup-able partitions of TWRP? I'm not totally sure of what's stored in them, but it's something that should be persistent as just like TA and Qnovo, they never get wiped when updating the firmware through Xperia Companion...

Last edited:

Glassed Silver

Apr 16, 2017
Whew, I really need a new release. Apparently updating Oreo subversions whilst keeping your root and all that jazz is causing more trouble than is worth unless you're stoked about wiping /data which I am not given the lack of proper backup solutions, especially not involving the cloud. (which disgusts me)

A new release would really save the day, although I must admit I've learnt my lesson and hope to know what to check for in future when shopping a new Android device. ****'s getting more intense than OG iOS jailbreak days. :eek:

Either way thank you so much for your work, if it wasn't for you my experience'd be a real burning train wreck. Love you man! :good:

d_mouse81

Jul 13, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Whew, I really need a new release. Apparently updating Oreo subversions whilst keeping your root and all that jazz is causing more trouble than is worth unless you're stoked about wiping /data which I am not given the lack of proper backup solutions, especially not involving the cloud. (which disgusts me)

A new release would really save the day, although I must admit I've learnt my lesson and hope to know what to check for in future when shopping a new Android device. ****'s getting more intense than OG iOS jailbreak days. :eek:

Either way thank you so much for your work, if it wasn't for you my experience'd be a real burning train wreck. Love you man! :good:

What do you need to backup that something like Titanium Backup isn't enough?

mbc07

Dec 12, 2013
Sony Xperia M
Sony Xperia X
Just FYI, as long as your /data partition isn't encrypted, the current TWRP 3.1.1 build works perfectly fine in Oreo. The only issue I noticed is that adb sideload won't work, but other than that, everything works fine...

Glassed Silver

Apr 16, 2017
What do you need to backup that something like Titanium Backup isn't enough?
Titanium is made for app-based backups, it's not made to create backups of things like system settings to name one example.

I would like an all-encompassing backup solution.

What's more, Titanium has already failed me once. There is a game I tried to transfer from an old Amazon Fire 7 tablet (custom ROM including Play Store that is) which downloaded additional assets on the first launch way back when you could still get it. It has since been pulled from the Store, possibly a rights issue, at least that's what the dev claims iirc.

When I tried to install the apk on my Xperia it tried to download these assets on first launch and it failed. Well, lucky me that I have Titanium Backup, right! I will just copy it's installed state and paste it on my Xperia...

Well, that didn't work. Maybe it's specifically this game, but it does leave a bad aftertaste. And either way, it's app backups only, no home screen layout, no launcher settings, no WiFi networks, etc...

Just FYI, as long as your /data partition isn't encrypted, the current TWRP 3.1.1 build works perfectly fine in Oreo. The only issue I noticed is that adb sideload won't work, but other than that, everything works fine...

Well, it is and apparently once it is removing the encryption isn't as easy as hitting a toggle or I'm missing something. :confused:

sgrunt

Oct 14, 2017
Hello !

I'm trying to put this recovery in my phone, but I've this error message:

Code:
➜  fastboot devices
BH900FML5L	fastboot

➜  fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-suzu-2017.08.22.img
Password:
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'recovery' (19832 KB)...
OKAY [  0.626s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.629s

But I've unlocked my bootloader as you can see:
w5tQ38kl.png

Following the guide here: https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/get-started/unlock-bootloader/

Everything is stock on my phone.
Do you have an idea of what could cause this issue ?

mbc07

Dec 12, 2013
Sony Xperia M
Sony Xperia X
Hello !

But I've unlocked my bootloader as you can see:
w5tQ38kl.png

Following the guide here: https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/get-started/unlock-bootloader/

Everything is stock on my phone.
Do you have an idea of what could cause this issue ?

Did you run "fastboot oem unlock 0x<you device unlock key>" command? Remember that all user data will be wiped and that your DRM Keys will be permanently wiped after you run this command. It's strongly recommended to downgrade to Marshmallow firmware to make a TA Backup with DirtyCow BEFORE unlocking the bootloader...

sgrunt

Oct 14, 2017
Did you run "fastboot oem unlock 0x<you device unlock key>" command? Remember that all user data will be wiped and that your DRM Keys will be permanently wiped after you run this command. It's strongly recommended to downgrade to Marshmallow firmware to make a TA Backup with DirtyCow BEFORE unlocking the bootloader...

Thanks for your answer!

Between my first message and your answer I did all the unlock process again with flashtool, and it worked. So TWRP is flashed now :good:

I know that my system and data will be wiped, but I didn't know the TA Backup and DRM things... I didn't do this backup :(
Is it very bad ? What did I lost ?

BTW I've my OmniRom now, so thank you very much for all the work you've done!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings!

I'd like to present a TWRP recovery for the single-sim Xperia X. This release works on Xperia X F5121 and F5122

DISCLAIMER:
    I'm not responsible for any damage done to your device. You have been warned.

REQUIREMENTS
    • Unlocked bootloader
    • Working ADB and Fastboot (You can get the latest version through Android Studio or by visiting this site)

FEATURES
    • MTP support
    • ADB Sideload
    • Backups and restores almost every partition
    • Full SELinux support
    • Working encryption. You can access /data within recovery

NEEDS TESTING
    • USB-OTG

DOWNLOADS

INSTALLATION
    • Unlock the bootloader
    • Download the file
    • Put the following code in CMD/Terminal:
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-suzu-*.img

//Replace * with the version you want to flash
    • Unplug the cable
    • Press Volume Down + Power to activate the recovery. When installed properly, the device should vibrate funnily, purple LED should appear and after a couple of seconds you should see the TWRP screen.
    • Enjoy!

BUILD

You need to sync the OmniROM and vendor blobs from DonkeyCoyote. You can find my sources on GitHub.
    android_device_sony_loire_common
    https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery/commits/android-7.1

@grayleshy - for initial TWRP
    @AndroPlus for some of his flags
    OmniROM team for sources

If you find my work useful, consider buying me a cup of coffee :)
    [TWRP] TWRP 3.1.0 for Xperia X

Old OP below:
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.1.0

REQUIREMENT:
    - Unlocked bootloader
    FEATURES:
    - MTP support
    - USB OTG storage support
    - Covers most partitions for nandroid backups
    - ADB root
    - Full SELinux support
    - Support for partition decryption

Download: Dropbox

Installation via the bootloader (Platform-tools (adb & fastboot))
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Running TWRP: turn the phone off, wait 5 seconds, then pinch at the same time the power key and the volume down key until the device vibrates, release the keys. Recovery starts within 5-10 seconds.

DISCLAIMER:
    No one is responsible for any damage done to your device but YOU. You've been warned.

Special thanks kistigun for testing recovery on the device.
    Changelog: twrp.me
    TWRP was going on OmniRom 7.1 sources and XperiaDeveloper.
    SOURCEs: Suzu; loire; Common.
    sir can you help on Oreo ? after flashing latest build .364 (Oreo) (Suzu / F5121 / F5122) the TWRP cannot read internal partition. give password error

It doesn't work on Oreo yet. That freaking decryption is a headache. I and few other devs are working on it. Stay tuned. It will be released when it's done.
    Ok, folks. A new version of TWRP is uploaded. It should fix the restore problem.
    Happy flashing!
    Ok, I will start from scratch. Apparently, qseecomd needs more libraries to work. Hopefully I will crack it soon ;)