• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[RECOVERY][TWRP-3.4.0-3] Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 - SM-T280 (gtexswifi)

Search This thread

ngvhoang96

Jul 9, 2013
As far as firmware, the link to sammobile I gave you before are the best routes for that. Bootloops I've been stuck at were only at the main boot screen, the Samsung animation screen I had to just leave alone until it fully loaded which did take a few good minutes. A lot of sweat during those minutes lol and you may need to wipe your device once you're able to get back to recovery, constantly flashing on top of flashing without any wipes could cramp space on partitions or overwrite data in ways that just give problems.

Fully wipe your device, flash a stock firmware from sammobile (preferably the one your device came with, make your best guess) , clear your cache and dalvik as you finish stuff up, than let it load up. Than come back to this thread and follow instructions. I hate you're having such an issue with your device, yet I feel like it shouldn't be this complicated lol

Good luck again man.

Mine doesn't even get into that animation screen. It kept stuck at that samsung logo, and I couldnt turn the device off either.
----
How could I "full wipe" my device when could get into the recovery mode?
And all the fw I have tried flash got error at "NAND WRITE!! system.img".
Never fell like giving up like this.

zenful

Feb 12, 2016
Mine doesn't even get into that animation screen. It kept stuck at that samsung logo, and I couldnt turn the device off either.
----
How could I "full wipe" my device when could get into the recovery mode?
And all the fw I have tried flash got error at "NAND WRITE!! system.img".
Never fell like giving up like this.

Before you started ever flashing anything, did you make sure to enable OEM unlocking?

fightingbeer

Jul 16, 2017
Hi. This tutorial worked fine - note that MAGISK will let you grant Superuser access, but SuperSU won't, at least according to my tests and RootChecker. I have a question or two.

Firstly, every time I try to flash a ROM (first a stock one, for good measure, and then the TINKER ROM with the slight bugs) I keep getting the 'no MD5 found' error, even though it's right there in the zip, and unchecking the verification box won't have any effect. I have also tried with Flashify, Flashfire, Auto Flasher, ROMBox, MultiROM. The apps will extract the file but not do anything else, Flashfire will at least get it in the flash queue, but after rebooting gets caught on the SAMSUNG logo with the shooting start effect (but it is not softbricked). I am guessing they are getting caught at the MD5 error. FYI - all have root access and XDA Xposed 2.2+

What can I do?

Secondly, if you make a backup to external SD, what happens to (say) your whatsapp or wickr messages? Do they get erased, so that they aren't there when you load the recovery again? Does this mean you could have (say) multiple whatsapp or signal accounts on the same tablet?

That one's just a curio, I'm more worried about getting the thing to work.

UPDATE: tried to extract with 7zip with full paths. Naturally, it didn't work. Jesus Christ, why is this so damn shaky?

This is what I got on the terminal in recovery:

Installing zip file '/external_sd/T280XXU0APF6_PURE_HOME_TINKER_EDITION_V5.zip'
Checking for MDS file...
Skipping MD5 check: no MD5 file found
Verifying zip signature...
Zip signature verification failed!
Error installing zip file '/external_sd/T280XXU0APF6_PURE_HOME_TINKER_EDITION_V5.zip'

Updating partition details...
...done

Obviously the red text is the issue. What do I do? Is it TWRP or Samsung just being tricky bastards?

Last edited:

_mone

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 25, 2015
London
Firstly, every time I try to flash a ROM (first a stock one, for good measure, and then the TINKER ROM with the slight bugs) I keep getting the 'no MD5 found' error, even though it's right there in the zip, and unchecking the verification box won't have any effect.
TinkerEdition ROM or stock firmware are not meant to be flashed via recovery, but via ODIN or Heimdall.
Follow the steps in the TinkerEdition ROM thread and you'll be fine:
--FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK--

1. Make sure to backup of your data and have a copy of your stock Rom in case something goes wrong.
2. Make sure your device is OEM unlocked. (Enable Developer settings and Enable the OEM unlock settings)
3. Extract ZIP file below and flash the tar.md5 file using ODIN, for details on this kindly look for instructions in the xda site.
4. For Heimdall you can use 7zip to extract the system.img from the tar.md5 and just flash the system.img itself.

Secondly, if you make a backup to external SD, what happens to (say) your whatsapp or wickr messages?
If you "backup" nothing get erased, you just create one or more "backup" files (depends on which partitions you choose to backup) and lately you can use those files to restore your system, boot, etc to the status that they were when you backed them up.

Reactions: fightingbeer

fightingbeer

Jul 16, 2017
TinkerEdition ROM or stock firmware are not meant to be flashed via recovery, but via ODIN or Heimdall.
Follow the steps in the TinkerEdition ROM thread and you'll be fine:
QUOTE]

Right, thanks for that.

If I do flash it via ODIN, then does that mean it becomes the primary ROM/firmware on the system? Will I be unable to use a Dualbooter app like Flashify to backup one and load the other at will from the home screen?

lagqboy

Aug 11, 2011
Need Help with Magisk v12.0

I started on a fresh Install. Installed twrp-3.1.1-0-_mone-gtexswifi.tar via Odin.
Next I Loaded Magisk-v12.0.zip and T280XXU0AQA4-Magisk-v12.0-boot.img to my SD Card.
I rebooted into recovery mode and flashed Magisk-V12.0.zip followed by T280XXU0AQ44-Magisk-v12.0-boot.img
I then rebooted and installed the latest Magisk Manager from the Magisk XDA thread.
When I opened the Magisk Manager, it says I have Magisk v12.0 installed and that rooted with MAGISKSU (TOPJOHNWU)

In the setting tab there is no option for Magisk Hide or to enable Busy Box.
It's missing quite a few options. Also When I try to install any modules from the download section,
it gives me an error installing. I stayed up all night trying to figure out the problem with no success.
Can someone please give me a hand here? Thanks in advanced.

I have SM-t280 with build # LMY47V.T280XXU0AQA4

_mone

Jul 25, 2015
London
I started on a fresh Install. Installed twrp-3.1.1-0-_mone-gtexswifi.tar via Odin.
Next I Loaded Magisk-v12.0.zip and T280XXU0AQA4-Magisk-v12.0-boot.img to my SD Card.
I rebooted into recovery mode and flashed Magisk-V12.0.zip followed by T280XXU0AQ44-Magisk-v12.0-boot.img
I then rebooted and installed the latest Magisk Manager from the Magisk XDA thread.
When I opened the Magisk Manager, it says I have Magisk v12.0 installed and that rooted with MAGISKSU (TOPJOHNWU)

In the setting tab there is no option for Magisk Hide or to enable Busy Box.
It's missing quite a few options. Also When I try to install any modules from the download section,
it gives me an error installing. I stayed up all night trying to figure out the problem with no success.
Can someone please give me a hand here? Thanks in advanced.

I have SM-t280 with build # LMY47V.T280XXU0AQA4

Try to use an old version of magisk manager. Probably v4.3.3 should work fine. The latest magisk manager is built to work alongside magisk v13.*, I've tried magisk v13.2 but it wasn't working at all, I was messing up the system already when I tried it, so maybe wasn't its fault.. Magisk v13.3 has now been released, I'll try it out on a clean system and I'll share the results here.

radiohead14

Sep 9, 2010
NYC
Team Win Recovery Project 3.1.1-0 for Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 - SM-T280 (gtexswifi)

TWRP-3.1.1-0 Installation Instruction
  • If you don't have a custom recovery:
- Download twrp-3.1.1-0-_mone-gtexswifi.tar
- Reboot your tablet in download mode (power+vol-down+home) and connect it to your pc
- Using ODIN load the downloaded file to the AP slot and press start
- As soon the tablet start to reboot hold vol-up and home (don't let it reboot to system)
- Now you should see TWRP-3.1.1-0

Hi, followed this instruction exactly and I got "SECURE CHECK FAIL : (recovery)" showing on my screen after (although Odin says PASS!)... Is this normal? I can see TWRP on my screen afterwards also, but not sure if this will lead to errors later? Please let me know. Thanks!

radiohead14

Sep 9, 2010
NYC
  • Magisk v12.0:
- Download Magisk-v12.0.zip and T280XXU0AQA4-Magisk-v12.0-boot.img
- Move the downloaded files to tablet's internal/external sdcard
- Reboot into recovery mode
- Flash Magisk
- Flash "T280XXU0AQA4-Magisk-v12.0-boot.img" into boot partition
- Reboot, open and update MagiskManager
- Done

Ok got everything up and running... except that when I updated MagiskManager and it asked for a reboot, it just froze at the boot screen. :( All I did was click the button within the app to "Download & Install" as it found version 13.3. Did I miss a step? Now I can't do anything, except go into recovery mode. Please help. Thank you!

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Ok got everything up and running... except that when I updated MagiskManager and it asked for a reboot, it just froze at the boot screen. :( All I did was click the button within the app to "Download & Install" as it found version 13.3. Did I miss a step? Now I can't do anything, except go into recovery mode. Please help. Thank you!
You cannot update the boot image. You can only update the Magisk manager apk.
You will have to flash the Magisk boot image in the first post. You should then be good.

_mone

Jul 25, 2015
London
Try to use an old version of magisk manager. Probably v4.3.3 should work fine. The latest magisk manager is built to work alongside magisk v13.*, I've tried magisk v13.2 but it wasn't working at all, I was messing up the system already when I tried it, so maybe wasn't its fault.. Magisk v13.3 has now been released, I'll try it out on a clean system and I'll share the results here.
Magisk 13.3 doesn't seem to work, it doesn't root the device.

Follow again the steps to install Magisk 12.0 and install MagiskManager 4.3.3 (you'll find the apk attached to this post), after that do not update Magisk or MagiskManager or it'll mess up your device.

I'll soon update the instructions in the OP.

Attachments

• MagiskManager-v4.3.3.apk
    3.4 MB · Views: 1,053

_mone

Jul 25, 2015
London
Has anyone been able to get magisk 13.3 running? If so what boot img did you use? I cant get 13.3 to boot

As I said a couple of posts before yours, Magisk v13.3 doesn't seem to work for this device.. The boot.img that I used is the boot.img extracted from my device after the installation of Magisk v13.3 and patched by myself with the samsung's shi** headers.

_mone

Jul 25, 2015
London
Under request of quite few users I've uploaded two boot.img that have a kernel able to set SELinux to permissive.

With Magisk-v12.0 ramdisk patches:
T280XXU0AQA4-Magisk-v12.0-SPA-boot.img
With SuperSU-v2.82 ramdisk patches:
T280XXU0AQA4-SuperSU-v2.82-SPA-boot.img

The tag SPA stands for SELinux Permissive Able, this means that the kernel is able to set SELinux to permissive mode but it is not set by default.
You can set it running from terminal:
Code:
su
setenforce 0
If you want to set SELinux to permissive at boot there are few methods that you can use, you can find them here at xda.

I would like to have feedback about these boot.img as I have not tested them because I'm currently running T280XXU0AQF1 with SuperSU in system mode, and it has a different ramdisk, and I rather skip the pain to restore an old backup of AQA4 and test the images with the different root methods.

Kernel source: https://github.com/underscoremone/android_kernel_samsung_gtexswifi/tree/T280XXU0AQA4-SPA
What I have done is just remove the awful CONFIG_ALWAYS_ENFORCE, a proper custom kernel will may arrive in the near future.

Screenshots are taken from my device running T280XXU0AQF1 with the same kernel included in the boot.imgs shared in this post.

Looking forward for your feedback.. if everything is ok I'll add the link to the OP, if it is not I'll restore the old backup, make the tests for you and provide the new boot.img.

Last edited:
Reactions: dcap0187 and zenful

zenful

Feb 12, 2016
Looking forward for your feedback.. if everything is ok I'll add the link to the OP, if it is not I'll restore the old backup, make the tests for you and provide the new boot.img.

I'm so late to reply and you were so swift to get it uploaded for us, I am very grateful thank you for your hard work.

So far, using the SuperSU-v2.82 ramdisk patched boot.img I have had no problems on my *AQA4 fw. I had no problems booting, I had no problems with WiFi so far, and able to freely able to set my SELinux how I please. It there are any specific tests you know of that I could attempt for you let me know. For now I will tinker around in xposed to see how well it plays with me now that there is a permissive kernel!

Thanks again, and anything you need tested with this device just let me know :)

PS, if you do add the link to the OP make sure to put a tag in the title for a permissive kernel, all the T280 users will go nuts Lol :)

Screenshot_2017-07-26-19-04-12.pngScreenshot_2017-07-26-19-03-00.png

Update: I actually had noticed something after switching to the permissive kernel; my sound works better than it did before. Something about how it was before my sound seemed lower than normal unless I used head phones, and how unlikely, but this kernel seemed to fix the sound and now playing music or sound normally without head phones is just as loud as it used to be when I first bought the device! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: dcap0187 and _mone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.4.0-3 for Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 - SM-T280 (gtexswifi)

Code:
    ***Disclaimer*** 
    All flashing is done at your own risk!
    While nothing from this thread should break your device,
    don't come back here blaming anyone if it does!

Always backup your current ROM (and/or keep stock firmware close by) before flashing.

Big thanks to @ashyx and @jedld for the amazing work done for this device.

Installation Instructions
    • If you don't have a custom recovery:
    - Download twrp-3.4.0-3-_mone-gtexswifi.tar
    - Reboot your tablet in download mode (power+vol-down+home) and connect it to your pc
    - Using ODIN load the downloaded file to the AP slot and press start
    - As soon the tablet start to reboot hold vol-up and home (don't let it reboot to system)
    - Now you should see TWRP-3.4.0-3
    • If you already have a custom recovery:
    - Download twrp-3.4.0-3-_mone-gtexswifi.img
    - Flash the downloaded img in the recovery partition
    - Reboot the recovery, now you should see TWRP-3.4.0-3

If you require "root", just download Magisk (v18.1 as of February 2019) and flash it with twrp. You may need to install MagiskManager afterwards. No extra steps required.

Old root instructions:
    ROOT Instructions
    These methods have been tested on samsung's T280XXU0AQA4 firmware

• SuperSU v2.82:
    - Download SuperSU-v2.82-201705271822 and T280XXU0AQA4-SuperSU-v2.82-boot.img
    - Flash SuperSU
    - Flash "T280XXU0AQA4-SuperSU-v2.82-boot.img" into boot partition
    - Reboot, now you should be rooted
    • Magisk v12.0:
    - Download Magisk-v12.0.zip, T280XXU0AQA4-Magisk-v12.0-boot.img and MagiskManager-v4.3.3.apk
    - Flash Magisk-v12.0.zip
    - Flash "T280XXU0AQA4-Magisk-v12.0-boot.img" into boot partition
    - Reboot
    - Install MagiskManager-v4.3.3.apk
    - Done
    - Do not update Magisk and/or MagiskManager
    • Old methods:
    • SuperSU v2.79:
    - Download SR3-SuperSU-v2.79-SR3-20170114223742.zip and aqa4-gtexswifi-SU279sr3.img
    - Flash SuperSu
    - Flash "aqa4-gtexswifi-SU279sr3.img" into boot partition
    - Reboot, now you should be rooted
    • Magisk v11.6 (currently working only with SuperSU):
    - Follow every step to install SuperSU
    - Open SuperSU app and make sure you are rooted (let it disable knox is a good idea)
    - Download Magisk-v11.6.zip and aqa4-gtexswifi-SU279sr3-Mag116.img
    - Flash Magisk
    - Flash "aqa4-gtexswifi-SU279sr3-Mag116.img" into boot partition
    - Reboot, open and update MagiskManager, grant it root permission
    - Done

Useful links:
    TWRP: https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery/
    Device Tree: https://github.com/underscoremone/android_device_samsung_gtexswifi
    SuperSU: https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/supersu
    Magisk: https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk
    I've updated twrp to 3.1.0-1
    Nothing major just some little changes in the device tree.. before I was using sc8830 for the board name (chip), but the actual name is SC7730SW and the platform is sc8830. This should be the definitive build until major updates in the twrp source.
    Thread updated with Magisk-v12.0.
    No need to flash SuperSU with this version.
    SafetyNet Passed (see 1st attached picture). :good:
    If you reboot and open MagiskManager straight you'll probably get "Not rooted" error (see 2nd attached picture); just close the app, wait a bit, reopen it and everything should be ok.
    @_mone just one question. Are you planning/trying to make a custom ROM also for tm-280?

I really hope so. Thanks

Enviado desde mi SM-T280 mediante Tapatalk

Yes, I've already started.. but unfortunately I don't have much free time lately so it won't be ready soon.