• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY] TWRP 3.5.0_10-0 - TeamWin Recovery Project [REDFIN] [TESTING]

Search This thread

elong7681

May 23, 2015
US
Moto X4
Google Pixel 2 XL
I tried it a few months ago with stock as I wanted to try out Proton. TWRP didn't even back anything up.
Backing up is working now, I have not tried to restore it though. Also you have to use elemental x kernel to use TWRP
Screenshot_20210918-134509.png

ziand

Apr 24, 2008
HTC U12+
Google Pixel 5
I did not have any luck with both Magisk and TWRP on the stock boot image.
Why not ? You can with stock kernel too.
Boot to temporary TWRP and flash permanent TWRP form menu Install - Install Image or Advanced - Install recovery ramdisk.
Just remember, after flashing perm TWRP you are unrooted !
So, after that install Magisk.zip (for my Pixel 5 enough last stable Magisk Canary 23001 21) in this temp TWRP.
Another thing. Perm TWRP with stock kernel has not working touchscreen. But there is an OTG, just connect a mouse:
IMAG7965.jpg

V0latyle

Why not ? You can with stock kernel too.
Boot to temporary TWRP and flash permanent TWRP form menu Install - Install Image or Advanced - Install recovery ramdisk.
Just remember, after flashing perm TWRP you are unrooted !
So, after that install Magisk.zip (for my Pixel 5 enough last stable Magisk Canary 23001 21) in this temp TWRP.
Another thing. Perm TWRP with stock kernel has not working touchscreen. But there is an OTG, just connect a mouse:
In my experience, the only way I was able to use TWRP with Magisk installed was to temporarily boot TWRP without installing it to ramdisk. Works fine for me, having TWRP installed is only really a convenience.

V0latyle

Installed perm TWRP lets you boo to temp TWRP too. You can use any of them with the same result.
No, installing TWRP to ramdisk means installing TWRP in /boot, alongside the kernel, which is also where systemless root such as Magisk is accomplished.

Ideally, yes, TWRP would function just like the stock recovery - you'd be able to boot into it any time you want, flash zips, then reboot to the kernel and load system.

What you're not understanding is that this did not work for me. On stock Android 11, I could either install Magisk or I could install TWRP to ramdisk - having BOTH would result in a boot loop. So, I was quite fine with live booting TWRP from ADB.

ziand

Apr 24, 2008
HTC U12+
Google Pixel 5
No, installing TWRP to ramdisk means installing TWRP in /boot, alongside the kernel, which is also where systemless root such as Magisk is accomplished.

Ideally, yes, TWRP would function just like the stock recovery - you'd be able to boot into it any time you want, flash zips, then reboot to the kernel and load system.

What you're not understanding is that this did not work for me. On stock Android 11, I could either install Magisk or I could install TWRP to ramdisk - having BOTH would result in a boot loop. So, I was quite fine with live booting TWRP from ADB.
You are wrong. And you need learn how it works..
As far as I can see, you are incorrectly trying to flash TWRP.img as boot partitions with your command fastboot flash boot TWRP.img but of course you can do with your phone anything as you would like.
This fastboot command was always for flashing a partition such as boot, recovery, system, and so on
fastboot flash <partition name> <partition file.img>
As some similar phones with A/B partitions Pixel 5 doesn't have recovery partition. Stock recovery is into boot. The command is flashing whole boot image with a kernel and a ramdisk inside. TWRP is not a boot. TWRP.img has just similar structure as a boot and has own kernel inside for temp booting. That is why you are wrongly able to flash TWRP.img and why after that you have troubles with also flashed TWRP's kernel.

Only correct ways of flashing perm TWRP are from menu as I mentioned above. They both flash ramdisk with TWRP and do not touch a kernel, stock one or custom one for working touchscreen. You can check and compare stock or customs kernels before and after flashing of TWRP. Use command for extraction boot partition from current slot a or b to image file from booted TWRP, from slot a:
adb shell "dd if=/dev/block/by-name/boot_a of=/sdcard/boot.img"
You can unpack images by Android Image Kitchen to see boot.img-kernel and boot.img-ramdisk.cpio.lz4. AIK works perfect for Pixel.
Also you can unpack TWRP.img and rename recovery.img-ramdisk.cpio to boot.img-ramdisk.cpio and then copy to unpacked boot. Repack correctly boot image with TWRP's ramdisk. Now you can flash new boot image with TWRP as a boot partition by fastboot command:
fastboot flash boot <new boot image.img>
This was third variant how to flash perm TWRP.

There is also fourth way to flash. I gather and use script-installer of TWRP which can be flashed from Install menu of temp TWRP, it works the same.

V0latyle

As far as I can see, you are incorrectly trying to flash TWRP.img as boot partitions with your command fastboot flash boot TWRP.img but of course you can do with your phone anything as you would like.
This fastboot command was always for flashing a partition such as boot, recovery, system, and so on
As some similar phones with A/B partitions Pixel 5 doesn't have recovery partition. Stock recovery is into boot. The command is flashing whole boot image with a kernel and a ramdisk inside. TWRP is not a boot. TWRP.img has just similar structure as a boot and has own kernel inside for temp booting. That is why you are wrongly able to flash TWRP.img and why after that you have troubles with also flashed TWRP's kernel.

Only correct ways of flashing perm TWRP are from menu as I mentioned above. They both flash ramdisk with TWRP and do not touch a kernel, stock one or custom one for working touchscreen. You can check and compare stock or customs kernels before and after flashing of TWRP. Use command for extraction boot partition from current slot a or b to image file from booted TWRP, from slot a:
You can unpack images by Android Image Kitchen to see boot.img-kernel and boot.img-ramdisk.cpio.lz4. AIK works perfect for Pixel.
Also you can unpack TWRP.img and rename recovery.img-ramdisk.cpio to boot.img-ramdisk.cpio and then copy to unpacked boot. Repack correctly boot image with TWRP's ramdisk. Now you can flash new boot image with TWRP as a boot partition by fastboot command:

There is also fourth way to flash. I gather and use script-installer of TWRP which can be flashed from Install menu of temp TWRP, it works the same.
Look, I've been doing this since the OG Motorola Droid, I know how it's supposed to be done, I'm aware that flashing TWRP to /boot overwrites the kernel so it must be installed to ramdisk, and I'm saying it never worked for me. You're being more than a little obnoxious; I really don't care all that much because my Pixel works fine and performs exactly as I want it to. While I appreciate the additional information, I don't appreciate someone like you insisting my experience is false.

Give it a rest.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry for all the confusion.
    There are two versions on github.
    Reading the Magisk thread about all of the safety net mods put in a dizzy state. Lol
    Please read the Magisk thread and you will see that there is a 2.4 version.
    Also if you can, please clean this ot.
    Cleaned. And I'll clean again if necessary but there's nothing wrong with a clarification post.

Anyway: "Please read the Magisk thread (for what? I'm passing SN on September OTA) and you will see that there is a 2.4 (for SN or for Magisk? If for SN why not say the Magisk SN thread, or the Magisk HideProps thread, which has the most up-to-date information/fixes. and If for Magisk, v2.4 could be confused for another typo of v24, as we are on v23 correctly of Magisk last I checked) version." So do you see how a vague post like this can cause one confusion, and leads to more questions than answers.

I find it best to try and get in a habit of more information, and say the Name+FullVersionNumber-vx.x.x ie. Safetynet-v2.1.0 is kdrag0ns latest, while not released yet to public, Safetynet-v2.0.0 is available. Nothing needs any guessing here.

Look, I've been doing this since the OG Motorola Droid, I know how it's supposed to be done, I'm aware that flashing TWRP to /boot overwrites the kernel so it must be installed to ramdisk, and I'm saying it never worked for me. You're being more than a little obnoxious; I really don't care all that much because my Pixel works fine and performs exactly as I want it to. While I appreciate the additional information, I don't appreciate someone like you insisting my experience is false.

Give it a rest.
    Update:

TWRP does not currently work with the 12 Beta, with the exception of ADB access.

The only way I've been able to boot with root is by temporarily booting the Magisk patched boot.img while leaving the stock boot image intact.

Update: After using the flash tool with verity and verification disabled, I was able to flash the patched boot.img, and am now on rooted 12 beta 5.

Attempting to boot TWRP just results in the TWRP loading screen with ADB connectivity.
    TWRP 12 isn't even WIP. TWRP 11 will be done soon. It's taken about a year to implement A11 requirements.
    I think you should reflash the whole factory image (you will lose data) and it will work.
    There's some things to try first.

Download and extract the factory image > RQ3A.210905

Reflash the bootloader:
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-redfin-r3-0.3-7241848.img
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

Reflash radio just to be safe:
    Code:
    fastboot flash radio radio-redfin-g7250-00132-210419-b-7294132.img
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

Lastly, try updating the image without wiping:
    Code:
    fastboot update image-redfin-rq3a.210905.001.zip
    **DO NOT USE THE -W SWITCH, that triggers the factory reset**

If everything flashes successfully, the phone should boot into system.

I do not recommend installing TWRP; just boot it temporarily for flashing files, but don't flash it to /boot.
    How
    i don't flash magisk with twrp. Only with the flash tool
    So I figured it out I took a chance and flashed the APK with TWRP and it worked the only problem that I have is I cannot get the Play store to say that my device is certified I've done just about all the tricks in the book I can think of from deleting the storage and cache in the Play store app and rebooting the device I have the safety net fix installed through magisk I have magisk hide on and I cannot get it to say my phone is certified.
    [RECOVERY] TWRP 3.5.0_10-0 - TeamWin Recovery Project

Introduction:

Team Win Recovery Project or TWRP for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It's a fully touch driven user interface , no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Key Features:

Touchscreen driven with real buttons and drag-to-scroll
    XML-based GUI that allows full customization of the layout true theming!
    Settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
    Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
    Ability to choose to compress backups now with pigz (multi-core processor support for faster compression times)
    Onscreen keyboard
    Easy selection of internal/external storage

In addition to the above new features, TWRP features a scripting engine that allows an app to send commands to the recovery for the recovery to perform during startup. We call this scripting engine OpenRecoveryScript. This engine will be put to use immediately in the GooManager app. GooManager will be able to install recoveries automatically for most supported devices. The app will also let you choose to install multiple zips from within Android, wipe, and run a backup.

We are looking for other talented developers, themers, and device maintainers if they are interested in helping with a free, open source project.

Source Code:

GitHub - https://github.com/TeamWin/android_bootable_recovery

Gerrit Instance - http://gerrit.twrp.me

If you have made your own TWRP build for an unsupported device, please let us know. We might add your build to the list of unofficial builds. Bear in mind that we are working hard to add more devices and we may add your device to our official build list later.

Device Config: https://github.com/bigbiff/android_device_google_redbull

Hello, this is a test build for redfin users

Decryption is working. Touch, adb and flashing magisk works. Repacking works. I am currently working on fastbootd support.

If others thing don't work, please report the issue and let me know.

Download here:
    Test9: https://build.twrp.me/test/redfin/twrp-3.5.0-0-test9-redfin.img
    - fix cpu temperature display
    - turn off openaes
    - MTP: fix 100% CPU
    - fix perms for last_log.gz
    - one click flash option to keep twrp when updating boot in recovery - thanks @Nebrassy

You need to install a kernel with built-in touch drivers such as ElementX-P5.
    First, install ElementX-P5, the use the install ramdisk recovery option in the Install menu to install the TWRP image.

https://build.twrp.me/test/redfin/twrp-3.5.0-0-test1-redfin.img

Please ignore the -10 in the version string when fastbooted into TWRP. I am hoping to get the a11 TWRP branch working in a10 trees.

Test 2: https://build.twrp.me/test/redfin/twrp-3.5.0-0-test2-redfin.img
    Test 3: https://build.twrp.me/test/redfin/twrp-3.5.0-0-test3-redfin.img
    Decryption and backup restore working. Tested with April Firmware.
    Test 4: https://build.twrp.me/test/redfin/twrp-3.5.0-0-test4-redfin.img
    Enable MTP. Fix /sdcard bind mount to /data/media/0
    Test 5: https://build.twrp.me/test/redfin/twrp-3.5.0-0-test5-redfin.img
    Add partitions: misc, boot and persist. Enable repacking into ramdisk. Tested with ElementX-P5.
    Test 6: https://build.twrp.me/test/redfin/twrp-3.5.0-0-test6-redfin.img
    Fix repacking twrp into recovery. You need to install a kernel with built-in touch drivers such as ElementX-P5.
    First, install ElementX-P5, the use the install ramdisk recovery option in the Install menu to install the TWRP image.
    Test 7: https://build.twrp.me/test/redfin/twrp-3.5.0-0-test7-redfin.img
    Fix wiping Titan M chip. Fix decryption hanging on lineage-18.1 when booting TWRP.
    Test 8: https://build.twrp.me/test/redfin/twrp-3.5.0-0-test8-redfin.img
    Fix reboot to recovery from fastbootd.

http://twrp.me
    Hello all. I was able to get an initial decryption and backup/restore working.

Here is test2 image: https://build.twrp.me/test/redfin/twrp-3.5.0-0-test2-redfin.img

Remember this is still fastbootable only. I have to test repacking in the future.

Currently only decrypts the 12/25/2020 patchlevel. I will try to upload today a version that will continue to work on future and current versions.
    Here is test3, tested with the latest firmware: https://build.twrp.me/test/redfin/twrp-3.5.0-0-test3-redfin.img

Please let me know what issues you have. I will be working on integrating fscrypt v1 policies so I can port over crosshatch to the aosp11 tree. I will work on repacking afterwards.
    Should I keep crypto disabled or should I try to resolve the fscrypt includes somehow? With crypto disabled to avoid that error, I've got the Google boot splash with the above ADB fix for proper shell access including dmesg and logcat, but it fails to start actual TWRP and the logcat is complaining about missing vintf manifest entries for android.hardware.boot and android.hardware.health

Edit: I also had to inject the Proton kernel for it to boot, I'm currently using the latest AOSP11 bramble/redbull with your commits cherry-picked like I did earlier with the lineage-18.1 attempt

I just barely got Fscrypt working with decryption. I am working on fscrypt policy storage now. You can track my progress at the android_bootable_recovery project at https://gerrit.twrp.me
    I posted a link to a test4 image in OP. I enabled MTP and fixed bind mount to /sdcard from /data/media/0.