[RECOVERY] [TWRP] Android system recovery <3e> universal checksum disabler

Search This thread

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
This is a Flashable Zip for restoring backups created from different recoveries. No more problems with checksums, checksums will be ignored.
- Android system recovery <3e>
- CWM
- TWRP
- ADB Backup
- MIUI Backup

This is a alpha release, in this state you can test it for Android system recovery <3e> only!

I need testers for proof of concept. If you have a Mediatek Phone with encrypted userdata_20160823_100259.backup, please try to restore with bckp2raw.zip from TWRP. Please give feedback if failed or vote :good: if worked.

bckp2raw.zip (v1.0.3) 32-bit
bckp2raw.zip (v1.0.5) universal

(other backup formats following soon, feel free to request)

Attachments

• bckp2raw.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 622
  • bckp2raw.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 523
Last edited:
Reactions: sd_shadow

Mike_Mik

Jan 11, 2018
TUTORIAL - under construction

Is this solves problem of Android 7 stock recovery backup?

I got second phone stock recovery problem for 7 version
stock recovery do not want to recover his backup. complains - "it is corrupted, please reset your phone"
I install twrp recovery and try to install this .zip
bit it give error 134 (or something like that)

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
sorry this project is abandoned. in generally, backup can not restored to other device because of the checksum mismatch. Thats where this zip comes in game. If you upload recovery.log right after installing this zip i will try to fix the errors..

Last edited:

Mike_Mik

Jan 11, 2018
sorry this project is abandoned. in generally, backup can not restored to other device because of the checksum mismatch. Thats where this zip comes in game. If you upload right after installing this zip i will try to fix the errors..

I meant - I got another (second) phone looped reboot, same as in 2018. And try to stock recovery backup (55Gbyte and ) restore.
BTW - first phone is still waiting to restore 11Gbyte stock recovery backup! :(
last file: userdata_20191106_110350.backup27
Android 7 again same as in topic: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2528969&page=7

I copied lines from recovery.log:

I: operation_start: 'Flashing'
Installing zip file '/external_sd/bckp2raw.zip'
Checking for Digest file...
Skipping Digest check: no Digest file found
I:Update binary zip
I:Zip does not contain SELinux file_contexts file in its root.
I:Legacy property environment initialized.
Archive: /external_sd/bckp2raw.zip
inflating: bckp2raw.sh
inflating: busybox-arm
inflating: tar-arm
CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE "/system/bin/sh": "/system/lib/libc++.so" is 32-bit instead of 64-bit
Aborted
Updater process ended with ERROR: 134
I:Legacy property environment disabled.
I:Install took 0 second(s).
Error installing zip file '/external_sd/bckp2raw.zip'

Dont want to boring and get you, if you would give help - you can save many people with same problem with android-7

Last edited:

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
ah i see, script does not even start. i don't have a x64 device for testing, i assume twrp is not able to run mksh from /system. i have added paths please try this one instead...
update-binary
Code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/system/lib64:/system/vendor/lib64:/system/lib:/system/vendor/lib

Last edited:

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
for those who want to quickly convert TWRP ADB backup.ab into data.ext4.win
usage for unpacking files (don't do this on windows disk)
Code:
bash twab.sh backup.ab
cd 20*
mkdir data
sudo tar --ignore-command-error --numeric-owner --selinux --xattrs -xpf data.ext4.win -ivC data 2> /dev/null

Attachments

• twab.zip
    982 bytes · Views: 128
Last edited:
Reactions: scandiun

Yrgffpv

Jun 23, 2020
data partition is encrypted

Hi , I've been trying a lot of methods to get my data back from my .backup files. All with no results. Your bckp2raw script seems to be one of the most successfull , but it ends by a " data partition is encrypted" ... Do you think I can still recover my files ... The original phone is actually working but it has been factory wiped ...

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
that message just means that your current /data partition is encrypted (message for encrypted backup is different)

- do a backup of metadata partition (just in case)
- do a backup of /sdcard to PC (adb/mtp)
- format userdata partition
- reboot TWRP
- check userdata partition is unencrypted
- restore userdata*.backup from zip
- restore metadata partition from backup
- restore /sdcard backup

the restoring process will deny if userdata is not empty. please note if backup is encrypted it is most likely useless without corresponding backup of metadata partition

Yrgffpv

Jun 23, 2020
that message just means that your current /data partition is encrypted (message for encrypted backup is different)

- do a backup of metadata partition (just in case)
- do a backup of /sdcard to PC (adb/mtp)
- format userdata partition
- reboot TWRP
- check userdata partition is unencrypted
- restore userdata*.backup from zip
- restore metadata partition from backup
- restore /sdcard backup

the restoring process will deny if userdata is not empty. please note if backup is encrypted it is most likely useless without corresponding backup of metadata partition

Thank you very much for your quick reply. Ok so I tried it , the restoring part worked , but when I rebooted it asked me for my code and said "password is correct but data is corrupted" ....
Do you have any idea for me to get my data back .... at least my pictures ...?

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
sounds like the backup is encrypted, can you confirm? more important is this the source phone of this backup? or do you try to restore on other device?

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
encryption should work in theory, but you need a copy of metadata partition from the day you created backup. you most likely don't have it, therefore your data is lost forever :(

Yrgffpv

Jun 23, 2020
encryption should work in theory, but you need a copy of metadata partition from the day you created backup. you most likely don't have it, therefore your data is lost forever :(

Yes I don't have the metadatas from that day, is there a chance that they have been backup with the android backup ?

Thanks for your help anyways, I'm sad

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
no, nothing you can do. even a old metadata from the first day when you buyed this device would probably do it. metadata partition is formatted on factory reset.
for some devices the crypto footer is not located at separate partition, but at the end of userdata partition instead. But this is not the case for your device, otherwise this zip would have restored. you can double check, search with hex editor in last -16384 bytes of last file for string aes-cbc-essiv:sha256 (or aes-xts)

Last edited:

Yrgffpv

Jun 23, 2020
no, nothing you can do. even a old metadata from the first day when you buyed this device would probably do it. metadata partition is formatted on factory reset.
for some devices the crypto footer is not located at separate partition, but at the end of userdata partition instead. But this is not the case for your device, otherwise this zip would have restored. you can double check, search with hex editor in last -16384 bytes of last file for string aes-cbc-essiv:sha256

Cannot find anything like this but i'm not used to HEX reading .... Is there a chance that the metadata is on the SD card i was using for (external) storage on the phone (not the ones for the backups) ?

Shedrick

Jul 2, 2022
Hello there and thanks for creating such a productive thread, just what I needed for my current situation. so am trying to retrieve .backup files on cxAir android 7.0 after root through twrp but apparently, when running the script from the zip file you've shared I get the Error: data partition not mounted.

I'm still new in the dev world but am totally excited about it and I may not understand a lot of things but am willing to work my ass off to figure out the most of what I can so please I'd really appreciate it if I could get some help on this one, thanks in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a Flashable Zip for restoring backups created from different recoveries. No more problems with checksums, checksums will be ignored.
    - Android system recovery <3e>
    - CWM
    - TWRP
    - ADB Backup
    - MIUI Backup

This is a alpha release, in this state you can test it for Android system recovery <3e> only!

I need testers for proof of concept. If you have a Mediatek Phone with encrypted userdata_20160823_100259.backup, please try to restore with bckp2raw.zip from TWRP. Please give feedback if failed or vote :good: if worked.

bckp2raw.zip (v1.0.3) 32-bit

(other backup formats following soon, feel free to request)
    for those who want to quickly convert TWRP ADB backup.ab into data.ext4.win
    usage for unpacking files (don't do this on windows disk)
    Code:
    bash twab.sh backup.ab
    cd 20*
    mkdir data
    sudo tar --ignore-command-error --numeric-owner --selinux --xattrs -xpf data.ext4.win -ivC data 2> /dev/null