Hey everyone. I have decided to build TWRP recovery for the Galaxy J5.
First I would love to thank @bhattjunaid for testing this since I don't own this device, @celta1976 For managing to get this working on Locked bootloader models and his Instructions (Instructions In 1st Comment of the post), @serdotlinecho For the instructions how to fix Bootloop into TWRP (Instructions in 1st Comment of the post) and TeamWin for the amazing sources that are still supported.
DISCLAIMER : I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE VOIDING YOUR WARRANTY OR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR DEVICE EVEN THOUGH NOTHING SHOULD GO WRONG IF YOU DO EVERYTHING RIGHT! KNOX WILL BE TRIPPED. ALSO... I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WW3 OR A ZOMBIE OUTBREAK
Ok, Now to the interesting part
Already tested on:
- Galaxy J500F Working
- Galaxy J500H Working
- Galaxy J5008 Working - Instructions in 1st post of this thread! - (Locked bootloader)
- Galaxy J5007 Not tested yet
- Galaxy J500G Working
- Galaxy J500M Working
- Galaxy J500N0 Not tested yet
- Galaxy J500FN Working
- Galaxy J500Y Not tested yet
Note : This should work on all models. However, just to be sure, if you own a J5 model that has not been tested yet, please post a confirmation below
- Brightness slider
- PC mounting (but adb should work)
- Reboot into recovery mode from/via TWRP not working
TWRP Has been made
Here are some notes before you start :
Make sure you enabled the unlock bootloader option in the developer's settings.
THIS WILL SET KNOX TO 1
I am not responsible for voiding your warranty with this, it's your choice.
1. Download the PC USB drivers for your Phone
2. Download TWRP (link below)
3. Download Odin 3
4. Turn off your phone
5. Boot into download mode (Power + VOL down + Home)
6. In menu select continue (VOL up)
7. Now connect your phone to your PC
8. Open Odin. Make sure your device is recognized.
9. Click PDA on older Odin versions or AP on newer versions
10. Find TWRP
11. Click start and wait until it's done.
12. Reboot into recovery by booting with VOL UP + HOME + POWER and have fun.
PLEASE DO NOT MIRROR UNLESS I GIVE YOU PERMISSION! IF YOU NEED PERMISSION THEN PM ME!
If you don't want to risk loosing your data do a backup!!!!!!!!!
Hey, some of you have been asking if a AOSP based rom will ever come out or if I will ever make one for this device. I've tried this device a few times in my hand (mostly in samsung stores etc.) and find that is actually has quite some potential. Not only design wise but performance wise. Talking about performance. It uses the SD 410 right? Luckily enough many phones, including samsung phones with the SD 410 have CM roms and we all know how much advantage there is when working with snapdragon because of it's open source contributions. However here are the circumstances I would need to even start ROM development for this device.
1. I need to warn you that I am doing absolutely no promise here. One of my weaknesses on XDA has been that I promised too many things that would later result a fail, leaving too many users behind that were hoping for something.
2. I will only start the project when I have time for it. Usually "I don't have time for it" sounds allot like your every day excuse when you're too lazy to do something but in this case i'm too busy with other devices at the moment (Galaxy Tab S2 and S5 mini).
3. I would need to own the device. I've had enough experience trying to build a ROM without having the device and believe me... it's nearly impossible. Now there are following options : 1. Funding together donations so I can buy the device myself. 2. Ship me the device if you live near.
Be aware that I cannot ever guarrantee that the ROM will function bug free and stable.
So to make it clear, I am still too busy with other devices at the moment. However if i'm free, I believe a CM port will work on this device fairly well. I will notice you when I have time and maybe then we can talk again.
I think, I don't need custom aosp or cm based rom for this device, maybe debloated or de-knoxed stock firmware would be nice. If someone could port and make flashable samsung music for J5, that would great. The battery life with stock firmware, the standby and screen on time just amazing.
@Force do you have github for ur rom ? I have seen an thread that say's cm rom support up to 10 multi touch, but you need to modify the kernel. Here is it. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1384927.
Hope you or anyone can make also custom kernel for j500. Id like to make too. But i lacked in resources.
Hello! I have a github, however my rom is not built from sources, it is based on stock rom.
I didn't know that kernel can be modified to support more fingers, but it should be related to hardware.
I want to make an custom kernel as well, and I lack in knowledge too. But there are guides... it still hard though.