• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY] TWRP Recovery 2.8.7.0 - Apollo/Thor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Can I install this while I am root with hdx nexus rom ?
Given the question I assume you have Safestrap installed. Three questions:
- what version of Safestrap (if known)
- what version of FireOS is/was on the device prior to the installation of Safestrap (if known)
- what version of Nexus rom?
Answers will determine what options are available.

laoman

Oct 4, 2007
Hey, thanks for checking out this, Please find my answers below.

Given the question I assume you have Safestrap installed. Three questions:
- what version of Safestrap (if known) -> 4.01
- what version of FireOS is/was on the device prior to the installation of Safestrap (if known) -> update-kindle-14.4.5.2_user_452004220.bin
- what version of Nexus rom? -> HDX_Nexus_ROM_Apollo-v4.0.5.zip
Answers will determine what options are available.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hey, thanks for checking out this, Please find my answers below.
Unfortunately, native TWRP can not be used with this device as the bootloader remains locked. There are no techniques for unlocking once FireOS is upgraded beyond 3.2.6. You can not roll back below 3.2.8 as the device will brick. At present you limited to the custom roms supported by Safestrap v4 (cm11, Nexus).

futzmaster

Jan 27, 2015
TWRP 3.0.0-0

TWRP 3.0.0-0

Completely new theme - Much more modern and much nicer looking (by z31s1g)
True Terminal Emulator - Includes arrow keys, tab and tab completion, etc. (by _that)
Language translation - It won’t be perfect and especially some languages that require large font files like Chinese & Japanese won’t be availble on most devices. Also some languages may only be partially translated at this time. Feel free to submit more translations to OmniROM’s Gerrit. (mostly by Dees_Troy)
Flashing of sparse images - On select devices you will be able to flash some parts of factory images via the TWRP GUI (by HashBang173)
Adopted storage support for select devices - TWRP can now decrypt adopted storage partitions from Marshmallow
Reworked graphics to bring us more up to date with AOSP - includes support for adf and drm graphics (by Dees_Troy)
SuperSU prompt will no longer display if a Marshmallow ROM is installed
Update exfat, exfat fuse, dosfstools (by mdmower)
Update AOSP base to 6.0
A huge laundry list of other minor fixes and tweaks

Maybe this helps you (ggow) with developing and improoving CM 13 :)

Reactions: EncryptedCurse

drftboi

Aug 25, 2010
hello, just want to confirm/clearify before flashing. read this thread and still i was unsure about apollo running stock 3.2.1. after obtaining root, do i unlock the bootloader first then flash TWRP?
another question, do i update to 3.2.3.2 first then flash this or it can be use with 3.2.1. i see there is a 3.2.3.2 recovery for flashing in TWRP.
Thank you in advance.

Cl4ncy

Jul 9, 2015
hello, just want to confirm/clearify before flashing. read this thread and still i was unsure about apollo running stock 3.2.1. after obtaining root, do i unlock the bootloader first then flash TWRP?
another question, do i update to 3.2.3.2 first then flash this or it can be use with 3.2.1. i see there is a 3.2.3.2 recovery for flashing in TWRP.
Thank you in advance.
You can flash TWRP on Fire OS below 3.2.4, i.e. 3.2.3.2 or lower. So recommendation for you would be to flash TWRP, update the bootloader to 3.2.3.2, unlock, then flash ROM of your choice. Be sure to create a backup of your current Fire OS and move it to your PC before you flash anything. ;)

Last edited:

drftboi

Aug 25, 2010
You can flash TWRP on Fire OS below 3.2.4, i.e. 3.2.3.2 or lower. So recommendation for you would be to flash TWRP, update the bootloader to 3.2.3.2, unlock, then flash ROM of your choice. Be sure to create a backup of your current Fire OS and move it to your PC before you flash anything. ;)

Thank you, got it to root, twrp installed, 3.2.3.2 bootloader update, bootloader unlock (had to fastboot with linux, as win7 fastboot command could not be recognize). Backup is done.

galearned

Apr 6, 2012
Gainesville
Folks: I purchased on Ebay a 2013 HDX 7 Thor that is running GGOW Nexus ROM v4.0.5 Android 4.4.4
I am fairly certain the unit is running the full custom ROM since recovery appears to be the Amazon recovery and not TWRP or Safestrap.
Is is possible to flash the GGOW nexus ROM without custom recovery?
I have no safestrap app in the app drawer so, I assume I am a full custom ROM but, without TWRP?
The tablet can be booted up into the standard Kindle Recovery screen.
Can the TRWP custom recovery be flashed to this tablet safely?

Thanks in advance for any help

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Folks: I purchased on Ebay a 2013 HDX 7 Thor that is running GGOW Nexus ROM v4.0.5 Android 4.4.4
I am fairly certain the unit is running the full custom ROM since recovery appears to be the Amazon recovery and not TWRP or Safestrap.
Is is possible to flash the GGOW nexus ROM without custom recovery?
I have no safestrap app in the app drawer so, I assume I am a full custom ROM but, without TWRP?
The tablet can be booted up into the standard Kindle Recovery screen.
Can the TRWP custom recovery be flashed to this tablet safely?

Thanks in advance for any help
A custom ROM can not be installed unless device is rooted or has a vulnerable bootloader. Sequence of tests:
- download a free root checker from Play Store (likely indicate no root)
- install SuperSU app from Play Store (likely won't work; worth a shot)
- download custom TWRP from this thread to suitable host; rename file twrphdx.img. Boot into fastboot, tether device and try to boot the twrp image via 'fastboot boot twrp.img'. If successful bootloader is vulnerable

Last step will likely require a driver update on host machine. Bounce back if command 'fastboot devices' does not return a response. To access fastboot power down device then restart via <power>+<vol-down>.

opera_1978

Oct 8, 2016
Hello! I have such problem: installed TWRP 2.8.7 and installed cm-11-SAFESTRAP-20161016-UNOFFICIAL-thor. After restarting the tablet runs only in rekoveri TWRP mode and in normal just to reboot. Tried many different manipulations do. And now the tablet runs only in fastboot mode. The computer sees it as an ADB device. But ADB mode tablet not included and remained only in fastboot mode.
How can I correct this situation? All thanks in advance for help!

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hello! I have such problem: installed TWRP 2.8.7 and installed cm-11-SAFESTRAP-20161016-UNOFFICIAL-thor. After restarting the tablet runs only in rekoveri TWRP mode and in normal just to reboot. Tried many different manipulations do. And now the tablet runs only in fastboot mode. The computer sees it as an ADB device. But ADB mode tablet not included and remained only in fastboot mode.
How can I correct this situation? All thanks in advance for help!
Sounds like you did a few things that are not valid on this tablet (wrong items and/or in wrong sequence). You need to get your device recognized in fastboot mode to work on the problem:
- launch Windows Device Manager
- untether and retether tablet; note what device gets 'added' in Device Manager when tether is attached
- delete that device and untether tablet
- install adb and fastboot drivers (here)
- retether tablet and instruct windows to use the drivers just installed
- if successful you will see 'fastboot ready' on device
- from host issue command 'fastboot devices' and look for a response

Above assumes host is Windows based and you already know how to access/use adb and fastboot commands. Post back once successful and we will move on to the next step.

opera_1978

Oct 8, 2016
Yes, I reinstalled the driver from this link. The device is defined as Android Composite ADB Interface. Fastboot ready.
16718374_s.jpg
[/URL]
"] [/IMG]

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Yes, I reinstalled the driver from this link. The device is defined as Android Composite ADB Interface. Fastboot ready.
16718374_s.jpg
[/URL]
"] [/IMG]
Great. Now try to flash TWRP 2.8.7.0 using the command:

fastboot flash recovery twrp.img {where 'twrp.img' is the name of the TWRP image file downloaded from the OP}
This may or may not work; if it fails the likely culprit is a locked bootloader. If that's the case it will be very difficult (impossible) to proceed as the device serial and/or manfid can not be obtained without an adb daemon running on the device.

draxie

Apr 20, 2014
all is NOT lost

fastboot flash recovery twrp.img {where 'twrp.img' is the name of the TWRP image file downloaded from the OP}
This may or may not work; if it fails the likely culprit is a locked bootloader. If that's the case it will be very difficult (impossible) to proceed as the device serial and/or manfid can not be obtained without an adb daemon running on the device.

Actually, my latest research indicates that it's relatively
easy to recover said info from the diagnostic filesystem
(partition #17). And, even if that weren't the case, aboot
can be reflashed starting with only fastboot access.
Instructions (deemed daunting by others) are here.

Reactions: opera_1978

opera_1978

Oct 8, 2016

Yes, in tm every now and then, that the zarjadnik most likely is blocked, because during the operation of the operation there is an error:
[/IMG]

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi @draxie,

I was hoping you might pop in! Linked info is a good reference and certainly an encouraging fall back if the simple recovery partition reflash doesn't work. The poster indicated that he previously had access to TWRP; it is uncertain whether that was native (suggesting a vulnerable bootloader is currently in place) or Safestrap emulation. Let's see what he comes back with.

opera_1978

Oct 8, 2016

Thank you for your support! But when I try to enter the first command, I get an error as shown in the screenshot:

draxie

Apr 20, 2014
Read the whole post!

Thank you for your support! But when I try to enter the first command, I get an error as shown in the screenshot:

The numbered steps assume that the device is in BULK mode already.
Since you're starting from fastboot, you'll need to run the 2 fastboot
commands further down in that post first to get your Kindle into BULK
mode, and then continue with the numbered steps.

Reactions: opera_1978

opera_1978

Oct 8, 2016
The numbered steps assume that the device is in BULK mode already.
Since you're starting from fastboot, you'll need to run the 2 fastboot
commands further down in that post first to get your Kindle into BULK
mode, and then continue with the numbered steps.

Yes, it really booted into BULK mode. Did everything according to the instructions.
It turned out to be uploaded to TVRP! Thank you very much for your help !!!
Please tell me which version CM is better to install?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello All,

NOTE: You should unlock your bootloader.

These are patched TWRP recovery images for the Apollo and Thor devices only. Now Built from the latest .4.5.3 sources.

WARNING:
    - Be sure to have a working /system partition before proceeding with installation.

Installation
    - Ensure you are running stock firmware .3.2.3.2
    - Obtain Root
    - Copy the recovery image to the root of your sdcard
    - Flash the recovery image by issuing the following commands:

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/signed-<device>-twrp-2870.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

Download
    - Apollo Recovery Image
    - Thor Recovery Image

Thanks

- @vortox for the exploit
    Can you tell me where TWRP Recovery is stored and what the boot process is like? Is TWRP called by the boot loader instead of the Linux kernel and it will in turn then start the Linux kernel from your installed system?

What happens when TWRP Recovery is damaged? Is there still a way to recover?

And is there a difference in how TWRP is started as opposed to Safestrap?

Edit: ok, so I see that TWRP Recovery is flashed to the recovery partition, so I guess it's separate from the boot image. And pressing volume up + the power button presumably activates the recovery image rather than the boot image. Did Safestrap work in the fashion I described? Why are we using TWRP for recovery now instead of Safestrap? Are there any advantages?
    New recovery system
    - Allows for custom kernels (meaning, CyanogenMod, Overclocking, and other things)
    - Installed to "recovery" partition
    - Bypasses signature verification check with some weird thing about exponents of 3 and the cubed root of something. I don't entirely understand how the exploit works.
    - Called from the bootloader
    - If you're in a bootloop, hold VOL+ & POWER (I think) to boot into TWRP.

SafeStrap
    - No custom kernels (no CM)
    - Installed to "system" partition (no key presses can get you to here if you're in a bootloop)
    - Designed to provide semi-custom ROMs on devices with locked bootloaders
    - Called from the Kernel
    TWRP 3.0.0-0

Maybe this helps you (ggow) with developing and improoving CM 13 :)

- I have been testing Twrp 3.0.0-0 for a few weeks on Thor and Apollo
    - Looks good so far
    - Will release sometime during the coming week

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 using Tapatalk
    Davey126, HDX aren't very popular models.
    Unlock of the bootloader has became available later than a year after start of the sales.
    Also it is not so easy for everyone to install custom ROM natively.
    Amazon updates can't be rolled back to use unlock. I'm sure there are a lot of customers which are absolutely fine running latest FireOS.
    The device is some kind of obsolete and it's not produced anymore.
    All these facts limit the users of custom ROMs. I see there are not so many users of custom ROMs.
    Also I'm the kind of person that will face each and every bug without any seeking of it. This was proved by several Android devices starting from 1.6. I'll never buy anything on Android anymore, Apple sometimes have the bugs too but there are no any broken custom ROMs and no need in them. My opinion is Android is broken by design. I'm happy that there are no any custom broken ROMs for my BlackBerry.
    I see that every new ROM that made by ggow includes some old issues which sometimes can be found reported by lonely user somewhere in a thread. Each ROM has known issues.
    Also I can see that ggow doesn't use HDX as a primary device anymore and he's not interested in development, these issues can't be unnoticed.
    Just to prove my words regarding the bugs in HDX TWRP:

- I share some of the same frustrations as you
    - It is unfortunate that the hdx unlock didn't come sooner
    - Amazon really went to town locking the devices down
    - I am interested in developing the cm13 rom further. However I have a life with multitude of things going on and going through. This isn't a job, its something I enjoy, genuinely passionate about and share with the community here
    - The HDX devices have been tough devices to develop due to lack of info or updated binaries and also my first
    - its a miracle anything past KitKat actually works let alone been bug free
    - to enable cm13 to run I had to use a mish-mash of binaries from various other devices to enable it to boot
    - It doesn't look like Amazon is interested in these devices and Amazon if you are watching this it would be great to see some kind of support in providing hal source/drivers, updated proprietary blobs for marshmallow so we can get a stable user experience on aosp at least
    - The HDX is still my primary tablet which I am still working on
    - I have been working on other Amazon devices like the fire phone and Amazon fire tablet which is fully functional and 99.99% bug free
    On Twrp recovery my device was faulty leading to the issue you mentioned- haven't had issues since.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Update

New Apollo Recovery Image Posted built from latest 4.5.3 sources.

Thanks @p1gl3t for solution to boot new kernel.