[RECOVERY] TWRP Recovery 2.8.7.0 - Apollo/Thor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Rovers82517

Apr 29, 2012
I have the time, and the money, I go cheap because you become comfortable wasting cash... I've given this device 2 days attention now(ish) and with a couple more days will indeed had cm or nexus installed... I've been doing this for numerous devices, check my post history.... I never give, but smashing something because it's fundamentally wrong? I love doing it ;) others will read and see this... as far as I'm concerned the roll back was the challenge, gapps should be a simple zip. File... but Amazon and it's future drones to your door like all over android wrappers want y o u tied in, I dare say it's the same as jailbreaking a locked in iOS device.... titans rise, small fish die, remember Sega, even Nintendo? The noob versions out there... reason it's hard to find is this wrap-around open source alphabet os is.... why mess around when the next stage is ready by the time devs figure it out..... imo

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Not looking back, unless it's for passed family or friends... this gameboy shiz?..... I know you know....

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

http://m.youtube.com/watch?sns=fb&v=O2_PAW_8fos

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I have the time, and the money, I go cheap because you become comfortable wasting cash... I've given this device 2 days attention now(ish) and with a couple more days will indeed had cm or nexus installed... I've been doing this for numerous devices, check my post history.... I never give, but smashing something because it's fundamentally wrong? I love doing it ;) others will read and see this... as far as I'm concerned the roll back was the challenge, gapps should be a simple zip. File... but Amazon and it's future drones to your door like all over android wrappers want y o u tied in, I dare say it's the same as jailbreaking a locked in iOS device.... titans rise, small fish die, remember Sega, even Nintendo? The noob versions out there... reason it's hard to find is this wrap-around open source alphabet os is.... why mess around when the next stage is ready by the time devs figure it out..... imo

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Not looking back, unless it's for passed family or friends... this gameboy shiz?..... I know you know....

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

http://m.youtube.com/watch?sns=fb&v=O2_PAW_8fos

I do indeed remember ... plus a generation or two before (pwned a Timex Sinclair, Commodore 64, untold Trash 80s and regularly coded in Z80). All of which is irrelevant to today's devices and big money lockins. Glad to hear you have the time and experience to tinker with your HDX. Nice hunk of hardware. Everything you need is in the forums. Ask questions; lots of contributors here to help. Snap it if you must but it doesn't deserve that fate. Good luck.

CrashThump

Oct 15, 2010
There were several messages regarding installation of TWRP recovery through fastboot with unlocked bootloader.
I've tried without any success:
Code:
>fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery signed-apollo-twrp-2870.img
target reported max download size of 1073741824 bytes
sending 'recovery' (9350 KB)...
OKAY [  0.406s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  0.672s]
finished. total time: 1.078s
Recovery from Amazon has left untouched.

Can you please explain the issue here?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
There were several messages regarding installation of TWRP recovery through fastboot with unlocked bootloader.
I've tried without any success:
Code:
>fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery signed-apollo-twrp-2870.img
target reported max download size of 1073741824 bytes
sending 'recovery' (9350 KB)...
OKAY [  0.406s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  0.672s]
finished. total time: 1.078s
Recovery from Amazon has left untouched.

Can you please explain the issue here?
The messages appear normal. Curious the new image didn't take. Although I do NOT believe it will help you can try Flashify as it is capable of updating the recovery partition. Don't forget to backup the existing contents first (available within Flashify).

Your post history suggests other recent unexplained failures on your device (wifi, auto rotation, adaptive brightness) following an attempt to flash CM13. Also issues unlocking (although apparently it worked). Posts from late 2014 hint at crashing apps under Nexus v2 which as a strong track record for stability. I wonder if there is something subtly wrong with your device which is manifesting itself with the weird symptoms you are seeing.

Reactions: CrashThump

CrashThump

Oct 15, 2010
Davey126, currently I have an unlocked bootloader, TWRP, working system (though with several issues).
I don't know how to lock the bootloader back but there can be a situation when both system and recovery are broken.
In this situation Flashify will be useless because if the device has a working system, recovery can be installed through adb using dd.

Thank you for a brief analysis, maybe you're right and my devices are faulty.
The real issue that I have 5 devices from 1 batch.
I've started to test a fresh ROMs on a 1 device because the Wi-Fi has been broken on it while using Nexus v2 under SafeStrap 3.72.
But 4 others are ok though there are some issues under Nexus v2.
Also I've found that on the device with a faulty Wi-Fi TWRP runs very bad: it crashes when running for around 30 minutes, it crashes when I unplug USB, etc. I have a garbage in adb terminal.
I was starting to think that this is a buggy Android.
Maybe there is a faulty RAM.

I'm going to start an upgrade for the 2nd device, will see if flashing from fastboot will be ok there.

CrashThump

Oct 15, 2010
I was able to write TWRP recovery on my 2nd device from the fastboot in a 1 try. Thank you.
On the 1st device previously recovery from Amazon somehow survived.
But I've tried to write TWRP from fastboot on the top of Amazon in the 2nd time for the 1st device: success.
I don't know what to do with the 1st one :( Maybe part of NAND is dead and read-only now, it can explain the issues.

On both devices I have a garbage in a command line of ADB in recovery:
Code:
~ # ←[6n
Does anybody have the same?

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I was able to write TWRP recovery on my 2nd device from the fastboot in a 1 try. Thank you.
On the 1st device previously recovery from Amazon somehow survived.
But I've tried to write TWRP from fastboot on the top of Amazon in the 2nd time for the 1st device: success.
I don't know what to do with the 1st one :( Maybe part of NAND is dead and read-only now, it can explain the issues.
If reports from the field are representative 3rd gen HDX devices (8.9" models in particular) do seem to go flaky from time-to-time. Cruising Amazon feedback there are numerous posts from pure stock users claiming the device worked one day and died the next. Then again you don't know if junior used the tab for trampoline or dropped it in the toilet.

Reactions: EncryptedCurse

CrashThump

Oct 15, 2010
On both devices I have a garbage in a command line of ADB in recovery:
Code:
~ # ←[6n

Garbage is present on 4 devices.

Recovery is very unstable.
Dimming of screen can cause the crash.
Also unplugging the USB oftenly causing the crash too.
One of my devices has turned off forever after the unplug. Brick, doesn't even charge. No harmful actions were performed under the recovery.
All other devices were able to boot ufter unplug but I had to press the button about 20 seconds.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Garbage is present on 4 devices.

Recovery is very unstable.
Dimming of screen can cause the crash.
Also unplugging the USB oftenly causing the crash too.
One of my devices has turned off forever after the unplug. Brick, doesn't even charge. No harmful actions were performed under the recovery.
All other devices were able to boot ufter unplug but I had to press the button about 20 seconds.
- Interesting. Recovery stability (specifically TWRP 2.8.7.0) has not been an issue for the dozens/hundreds/thousands(?) who have flashed it over the past year. Yet you have difficulty on multiple devices.
- I may have lost focus on the nature of your inquiry/problem (didn't review post history). Perhaps you are trying to do something out of the mainstream.

CrashThump

Oct 15, 2010
Davey126, HDX aren't very popular models.
Unlock of the bootloader has became available later than a year after start of the sales.
Also it is not so easy for everyone to install custom ROM natively.
Amazon updates can't be rolled back to use unlock. I'm sure there are a lot of customers which are absolutely fine running latest FireOS.
The device is some kind of obsolete and it's not produced anymore.
All these facts limit the users of custom ROMs. I see there are not so many users of custom ROMs.
Also I'm the kind of person that will face each and every bug without any seeking of it. This was proved by several Android devices starting from 1.6. I'll never buy anything on Android anymore, Apple sometimes have the bugs too but there are no any broken custom ROMs and no need in them. My opinion is Android is broken by design. I'm happy that there are no any custom broken ROMs for my BlackBerry.
I see that every new ROM that made by ggow includes some old issues which sometimes can be found reported by lonely user somewhere in a thread. Each ROM has known issues.
Also I can see that ggow doesn't use HDX as a primary device anymore and he's not interested in development, these issues can't be unnoticed.
Just to prove my words regarding the bugs in HDX TWRP:
- Noticed when the screen timeout occurs and dims sometimes it doesn't come back up
- Upon pressing the power button after a screen timeout the start see windows open all over my linux desktop with various partitions /userdata /system etc littering the screen.
- After which crash and reboot back to recovery.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Unlock of the bootloader has became available later than a year after start of the sales.
Amazon updates can't be rolled back to use unlock. I'm sure there are a lot of customers which are absolutely fine running latest FireOS.
All these facts limit the users of custom ROMs. I see there are not so many users of custom ROMs.
Also I'm the kind of person that will face each and every bug without any seeking of it. This was proved by several Android devices starting from 1.6. I'll never buy anything on Android anymore, Apple sometimes have the bugs too but there are no any broken custom ROMs and no need in them. My opinion is Android is broken by design. I'm happy that there are no any custom broken ROMs for my BlackBerry.
I see that every new ROM that made by ggow includes some old issues which sometimes can be found reported by lonely user somewhere in a thread. Each ROM has known issues.
Also I can see that ggow doesn't use HDX as a primary device anymore and he's not interested in development, these issues can't be unnoticed.
Thank you for surfacing your views on various devices. Very enlightening. I'm somewhat familiar with Amazon devices in general and the HDX in particular but will give your council the consideration it deserves. Have a great day.

Last edited:

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014

- I share some of the same frustrations as you
- It is unfortunate that the hdx unlock didn't come sooner
- Amazon really went to town locking the devices down
- I am interested in developing the cm13 rom further. However I have a life with multitude of things going on and going through. This isn't a job, its something I enjoy, genuinely passionate about and share with the community here
- The HDX devices have been tough devices to develop due to lack of info or updated binaries and also my first
- its a miracle anything past KitKat actually works let alone been bug free
- to enable cm13 to run I had to use a mish-mash of binaries from various other devices to enable it to boot
- It doesn't look like Amazon is interested in these devices and Amazon if you are watching this it would be great to see some kind of support in providing hal source/drivers, updated proprietary blobs for marshmallow so we can get a stable user experience on aosp at least
- The HDX is still my primary tablet which I am still working on
- I have been working on other Amazon devices like the fire phone and Amazon fire tablet which is fully functional and 99.99% bug free
On Twrp recovery my device was faulty leading to the issue you mentioned- haven't had issues since.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CrashThump

Oct 15, 2010
I have five KFAPWI 16GB (Apollo) devices.
Some of them I had to roll-back to 14.3.2.3.2 from 14.3.2.4, some of them I had to upgrade to 14.3.2.3.2 from 14.3.1.0.
Then I used Multi-platform 1-Click bootloader unlock for 3rd Gen HDX (with VirtualBox).

I was unable to install the signed-apollo-twrp-2870.img recovery from fastboot - on a couple of working devices despite the successful installation text in fastboot.
However, installation using dd with su was always fine.

This recovery seems to be very unstable. All 5 devices had the same issues under recovery:
1. garbage in a command line of ADB
2. crashes (not always) when screen is turning off by timeout under TWRP - I recommend to turn this off immediately after installation
3. very often crashes when I unplug the USB cable under working TWRP (battery wasn't empty), devices were able to turn on only by holding pressing of the power button for about 20 seconds.

EncryptedCurse

Jul 9, 2014
I have five KFAPWI 16GB (Apollo) devices.
Some of them I had to roll-back to 14.3.2.3.2 from 14.3.2.4, some of them I had to upgrade to 14.3.2.3.2 from 14.3.1.0.
Then I used Multi-platform 1-Click bootloader unlock for 3rd Gen HDX (with VirtualBox).

I was unable to install the signed-apollo-twrp-2870.img recovery from fastboot - on a couple of working devices despite the successful installation text in fastboot.
However, installation using dd with su was always fine.

This recovery seems to be very unstable. All 5 devices had the same issues under recovery:
1. garbage in a command line of ADB
2. crashes (not always) when screen is turning off by timeout under TWRP - I recommend to turn this off immediately after installation
3. very often crashes when I unplug the USB cable under working TWRP (battery wasn't empty), devices were able to turn on only by holding pressing of the power button for about 20 seconds.

What do you mean by the first one?

Anyways, I haven't run into any of these, but that may be because I have a thor.

donharden2002

Nov 25, 2010
Pittsburgh
I flashed it with flashify, works great. Still boots to safe strap though after I reboot twrp?

My own stupidity, had to download the safestrap app and uninstall it...lol

Sent from my Nexus HDX 8.9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I flashed it with flashify, works great. Still boots to safe strap though after I reboot twrp?

My own stupidity, had to download the safestrap app and uninstall it...lol

Sent from my Nexus HDX 8.9 using Tapatalk

Cool. Don't forget to flash 3.2.3.2 bootloader update prior to flashing the rom of your choice (cm11/Nexus v4 if bootloader remains locked; those plus cm12/13 or SlimLP if unlocked). Be sure to verify md5; your device will brick if the bootloader update is corrupt.

Reactions: donharden2002

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
because I'm bored me, i've installed this ROM on my HDX 8.9 LTE to test GPS, it works quite good and fast, only one problem, if I try to navigate (Google Maps) ask me of permission to change GPS permissions on device, I allow it, but isn't working...
According to several reports GPS on HDX does not work well for navigation. Slow to update and frequently looses its fix. Works better with static locations which makes sense given the device was never intended/marketed for navigation. Not an answer to your specific question but may temper additional efforts to get it working.

ka_putt

Dec 31, 2010
According to several reports GPS on HDX does not work well for navigation. Slow to update and frequently looses its fix. Works better with static locations which makes sense given the device was never intended/marketed for navigation. Not an answer to your specific question but may temper additional efforts to get it working.
Ooops...i wrote in wrong forum...
It should be in orginal developemt selction by "[ROM] CM-13.0 + 3.4.0 Kernel [25 Jan 2016]"

Can any forum moderator move my post with logs there? Would be nice..^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello All,

NOTE: You should unlock your bootloader.

These are patched TWRP recovery images for the Apollo and Thor devices only. Now Built from the latest .4.5.3 sources.

WARNING:
    - Be sure to have a working /system partition before proceeding with installation.

Installation
    - Ensure you are running stock firmware .3.2.3.2
    - Obtain Root
    - Copy the recovery image to the root of your sdcard
    - Flash the recovery image by issuing the following commands:

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/signed-<device>-twrp-2870.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

Download
    - Apollo Recovery Image
    - Thor Recovery Image

Thanks

- @vortox for the exploit
    Can you tell me where TWRP Recovery is stored and what the boot process is like? Is TWRP called by the boot loader instead of the Linux kernel and it will in turn then start the Linux kernel from your installed system?

What happens when TWRP Recovery is damaged? Is there still a way to recover?

And is there a difference in how TWRP is started as opposed to Safestrap?

Edit: ok, so I see that TWRP Recovery is flashed to the recovery partition, so I guess it's separate from the boot image. And pressing volume up + the power button presumably activates the recovery image rather than the boot image. Did Safestrap work in the fashion I described? Why are we using TWRP for recovery now instead of Safestrap? Are there any advantages?
    New recovery system
    - Allows for custom kernels (meaning, CyanogenMod, Overclocking, and other things)
    - Installed to "recovery" partition
    - Bypasses signature verification check with some weird thing about exponents of 3 and the cubed root of something. I don't entirely understand how the exploit works.
    - Called from the bootloader
    - If you're in a bootloop, hold VOL+ & POWER (I think) to boot into TWRP.

SafeStrap
    - No custom kernels (no CM)
    - Installed to "system" partition (no key presses can get you to here if you're in a bootloop)
    - Designed to provide semi-custom ROMs on devices with locked bootloaders
    - Called from the Kernel
    TWRP 3.0.0-0

Maybe this helps you (ggow) with developing and improoving CM 13 :)

- I have been testing Twrp 3.0.0-0 for a few weeks on Thor and Apollo
    - Looks good so far
    - Will release sometime during the coming week

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 using Tapatalk

- I share some of the same frustrations as you
    - It is unfortunate that the hdx unlock didn't come sooner
    - Amazon really went to town locking the devices down
    - I am interested in developing the cm13 rom further. However I have a life with multitude of things going on and going through. This isn't a job, its something I enjoy, genuinely passionate about and share with the community here
    - The HDX devices have been tough devices to develop due to lack of info or updated binaries and also my first
    - its a miracle anything past KitKat actually works let alone been bug free
    - to enable cm13 to run I had to use a mish-mash of binaries from various other devices to enable it to boot
    - It doesn't look like Amazon is interested in these devices and Amazon if you are watching this it would be great to see some kind of support in providing hal source/drivers, updated proprietary blobs for marshmallow so we can get a stable user experience on aosp at least
    - The HDX is still my primary tablet which I am still working on
    - I have been working on other Amazon devices like the fire phone and Amazon fire tablet which is fully functional and 99.99% bug free
    On Twrp recovery my device was faulty leading to the issue you mentioned- haven't had issues since.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Update

New Apollo Recovery Image Posted built from latest 4.5.3 sources.

Thanks @p1gl3t for solution to boot new kernel.