[Recovery][TWRP][Root] TWRP and Root for Moto E5 Play (James)

CodyF86

Jul 4, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
Take a backup. :)

How-to root & disable encrypted /data:

1. (Fastboot) flash the no-verity kernel
  2. (TWRP) adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
  3. (TWRP) adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom
  4. (TWRP) format data
  5. (TWRP) flash magisk beta

Wifi / Unlimited Tethering
  1. (TWRP) adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
  2. (TWRP) adb pull /vendor/default.prop .
  3. Add net.tethering.noprovisioning=true to default.prop
  4. (TWRP) adb push default.prop /vendor/default.prop

TWRP 3.2.1 E5 Play
E5 Play DM-Verity Disabled Kernel
E5 Plus DM-Verity Disabled Kernel
fstab.qcom (no-encrypt)

Attachments

Last edited:

Icyice

Sep 24, 2013
I tried flashing it and got an "Image not signed or corrupt" error. How can I get around this?

Can you make a step by step guide, please?

Thexmastermind

Dec 30, 2015
Yo, digging your commitment to moto. I'm still on the E4, been waiting for this device to finally be released. I'm probably gonna wait for a little more development on it till I switch though. Do you like it though?

Reactions: glenn.bryant42

CodyF86

Jul 4, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
Yo, digging your commitment to moto. I'm still on the E4, been waiting for this device to finally be released. I'm probably gonna wait for a little more development on it till I switch though. Do you like it though?
I like it; it's nice having a stock Oreo. Hopefully getting LTE to work won't be as much of a pain as the moto E4, although I figure it will be, but know how to fix it. Going to start compiling Lineage soon just getting the vendor repo setup and device trees etc.

Reactions: Thexmastermind

Thexmastermind

Dec 30, 2015
I like it; it's nice having a stock Oreo. Hopefully getting LTE to work won't be as much of a pain as the moto E4, although I figure it will be, but know how to fix it. Going to start compiling Lineage soon just getting the vendor repo setup and device trees etc.
Yeah I was super bummed with the whole no LTE thing there for a while.

CodyF86

Jul 4, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
So you've got root, right?
Nope Magisk messes up the boot.img atm, and PHH doesn't actually give root after flashing. I tried to root manually and believe it's getting reverted by DM-verity / verified boot. About to start building lineage to bypass that, but the E5 kernel has no fstab. DM-verity must be disabled in the kernels DTB. (Working on that too)

CodyF86

Jul 4, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
How's the bloatware out of the box? And depending on how bills are looking this week I might have one to test with.
Almost non-existant / it lets you uninstall everything basically even on stock.

Also was able to patch DM-Verity out of the kernel DTB with help of a hex editor lol. Link in the OP here shortly. :)

Should be able to run /data unencrypted now.

CodyF86

Jul 4, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
Corection haha after I blew up /data on my phone. DM-verity is indeed disabled in the kernel now, but the stock rom still encrypts /data regardless, but should be able to root it without /system getting reverted now...time to reinstall everything haha. :) link in OP to DM-verity disabled kernel.

CodyF86

Jul 4, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
I found the fstab...it's actually in /vendor/etc instead of in the kernel. I'll make a flashable zip, but for now to disable encryption manually just adb pull /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom and change forceencrypt= to encryptable= then push it back to /vendor/etc in recovery...then format data.

edit: Actually it's not quite that simple , have to mount /vendor manually in recovery. I'll write a zip soonish, but

adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor

Last edited:

CurbThePain

Feb 2, 2013
Mount Horeb
Cant wait to see custom rom's for this thing. If it don't happen soon I might have to jump in and give it a try. Just picked it up at walmart tonight and its pretty impressive for such a cheap phone. Good job getting root working.

Gualo17

Jun 14, 2018
Hi guys
It could be used in a Moto E5 Plus to do it root?
Has the following information:

Hardware : QUALCOMM
SNAPDRAGON 425
Model : E5 plus
Android v : 8.0
Kernel v : 3.18.71-perf-g2d07014

Thanks y regards.

Reactions: glenn.bryant42

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
@CodyF86, awesome work on the repack TWRP. Development on this device seems to be in the very early stages indeed. Your TWRP and root method have definitely broke ground. I'm using a Python kitchen to compile an unmodified stock ROM as well as a deodexed, debloated version (both TWRP flashable). I'll have an OP up in a couple days for anybody interested and I will post updates here -- with @CodyF86's approval, of course. Thanks again for your great work in breaking ground on this device.