• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Recovery][TWRP][Root] TWRP and Root for Moto E5 Play (James)

Search This thread

CodyF86

Jul 4, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
Take a backup. :)

How-to root & disable encrypted /data:

1. (Fastboot) flash the no-verity kernel
  2. (TWRP) adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
  3. (TWRP) adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom
  4. (TWRP) format data
  5. (TWRP) flash magisk beta

Wifi / Unlimited Tethering
  1. (TWRP) adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
  2. (TWRP) adb pull /vendor/default.prop .
  3. Add net.tethering.noprovisioning=true to default.prop
  4. (TWRP) adb push default.prop /vendor/default.prop

TWRP 3.2.1 E5 Play
E5 Play DM-Verity Disabled Kernel
E5 Plus DM-Verity Disabled Kernel
fstab.qcom (no-encrypt)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180603-125821.jpg
    Screenshot_20180603-125821.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 14,633
  • Screenshot_20180603-125830.png
    Screenshot_20180603-125830.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 14,589
Last edited:

Icyice

Sep 24, 2013
I tried flashing it and got an "Image not signed or corrupt" error. How can I get around this?

Can you make a step by step guide, please?

Thexmastermind

Dec 30, 2015
Yo, digging your commitment to moto. I'm still on the E4, been waiting for this device to finally be released. I'm probably gonna wait for a little more development on it till I switch though. Do you like it though?

Reactions: glenn.bryant42

CodyF86

Jul 4, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
Yo, digging your commitment to moto. I'm still on the E4, been waiting for this device to finally be released. I'm probably gonna wait for a little more development on it till I switch though. Do you like it though?

I like it; it's nice having a stock Oreo. Hopefully getting LTE to work won't be as much of a pain as the moto E4, although I figure it will be, but know how to fix it. Going to start compiling Lineage soon just getting the vendor repo setup and device trees etc.

Reactions: Thexmastermind

Thexmastermind

Dec 30, 2015
I like it; it's nice having a stock Oreo. Hopefully getting LTE to work won't be as much of a pain as the moto E4, although I figure it will be, but know how to fix it. Going to start compiling Lineage soon just getting the vendor repo setup and device trees etc.
Yeah I was super bummed with the whole no LTE thing there for a while.

CodyF86

Jul 4, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
So you've got root, right?

Nope Magisk messes up the boot.img atm, and PHH doesn't actually give root after flashing. I tried to root manually and believe it's getting reverted by DM-verity / verified boot. About to start building lineage to bypass that, but the E5 kernel has no fstab. DM-verity must be disabled in the kernels DTB. (Working on that too)

Thexmastermind

Dec 30, 2015
How's the bloatware out of the box? And depending on how bills are looking this week I might have one to test with.

CodyF86

Jul 4, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
How's the bloatware out of the box? And depending on how bills are looking this week I might have one to test with.

Almost non-existant / it lets you uninstall everything basically even on stock.

Also was able to patch DM-Verity out of the kernel DTB with help of a hex editor lol. Link in the OP here shortly. :)

Should be able to run /data unencrypted now.

CodyF86

Jul 4, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
Corection haha after I blew up /data on my phone. DM-verity is indeed disabled in the kernel now, but the stock rom still encrypts /data regardless, but should be able to root it without /system getting reverted now...time to reinstall everything haha. :) link in OP to DM-verity disabled kernel.

CodyF86

Jul 4, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
I found the fstab...it's actually in /vendor/etc instead of in the kernel. I'll make a flashable zip, but for now to disable encryption manually just adb pull /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom and change forceencrypt= to encryptable= then push it back to /vendor/etc in recovery...then format data.

edit: Actually it's not quite that simple , have to mount /vendor manually in recovery. I'll write a zip soonish, but

adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor

Last edited:

CurbThePain

Feb 2, 2013
Mount Horeb
Cant wait to see custom rom's for this thing. If it don't happen soon I might have to jump in and give it a try. Just picked it up at walmart tonight and its pretty impressive for such a cheap phone. Good job getting root working.

Gualo17

Jun 14, 2018
Hi guys
It could be used in a Moto E5 Plus to do it root?
Has the following information:

Hardware : QUALCOMM
SNAPDRAGON 425
Model : E5 plus
Android v : 8.0
Kernel v : 3.18.71-perf-g2d07014

Thanks y regards.

Reactions: glenn.bryant42

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
@CodyF86, awesome work on the repack TWRP. Development on this device seems to be in the very early stages indeed. Your TWRP and root method have definitely broke ground. I'm using a Python kitchen to compile an unmodified stock ROM as well as a deodexed, debloated version (both TWRP flashable). I'll have an OP up in a couple days for anybody interested and I will post updates here -- with @CodyF86's approval, of course. Thanks again for your great work in breaking ground on this device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Take a backup. :)

How-to root & disable encrypted /data:

1. (Fastboot) flash the no-verity kernel
    2. (TWRP) adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
    3. (TWRP) adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom
    4. (TWRP) format data
    5. (TWRP) flash magisk beta

Wifi / Unlimited Tethering
    1. (TWRP) adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
    2. (TWRP) adb pull /vendor/default.prop .
    3. Add net.tethering.noprovisioning=true to default.prop
    4. (TWRP) adb push default.prop /vendor/default.prop

TWRP 3.2.1 E5 Play
    E5 Play DM-Verity Disabled Kernel
    E5 Plus DM-Verity Disabled Kernel
    fstab.qcom (no-encrypt)
    So next question being is it time to build lineage is 15.1.

Me thinks so says the guy running the build environment currently

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
    OP updated with instruction on how to disable /data encryption.
    Guys it's never appropriate and is in fact strictly forbidden by XDA guidelines to ask for ETAs, updates, etc. Devs like the OP have busy lives outside of XDA and sacrifice their free time and resources to development for the Android community. I'm just saying, please be a bit more considerate and respectful. Thank you.
    It is completely understandable, considering that the Moto E5 series of smartphone is relatively new, to anxiously await development for the device. I'm in high hopes that more devs such as the OP take a developmental interest in the Moto E5 and its many variants, and that we start seeing custom ROMs, custom kernels, mods, custom recoveries, and root tutorials for this great device. I'm only asking that we give our devs respect, be thankful for their time and contributions, and refrain from asking for updates, ETAs, etc. One thing is for certain -- devs love to develop. They just don't always have an abundance of free time to do so outside their sometimes hectic personal lives. OK I've ranted enough. Thanks to all members and devs alike who support the Moto E5 series.