• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Recovery][TWRP][Root] TWRP and Root for Moto E5 Play (James)

Search This thread

joe7dust

Nov 14, 2010
Yeah it should be unlockable within a week or two; that's how it went for the boost version anyway. Just keep trying on their website.
@CodyF86 Uh... its been WAY longer than 2 weeks dude. Motorola is still saying I'm uneligible for unlocking. Is it my phone or their phone? I could have sworn I paid for it in full with no contract...

bubba1601

Aug 23, 2016
That's not what makes it unlockable first off where did u buy it and what carrier

He's explained in another thread it's a cricket device, locked to cricket so it's not bootloader unlockable.
No device purchased from cricket has the ability to be bootloader unlocked as they are locked at the point of manufacture at Crickets request.
Cricket also block these devices from being given a bootloader unlock code on the Motorola bootloader unlock code website.

That's not a new thing, as cricket have been doing it for over 5 years, and it's explained in just about every Motorola device thread here on XDA, but all cricket devices (not just Motorola) suffer this same fate and remain bootloader locked with no possibility for a workaround.

May 26, 2020
I font understand the first line. flash it to where?

Take a backup. :)

How-to root & disable encrypted /data:

1. (Fastboot) flash the no-verity kernel
  2. (TWRP) adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
  3. (TWRP) adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom
  4. (TWRP) format data
  5. (TWRP) flash magisk beta

Wifi / Unlimited Tethering
  1. (TWRP) adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
  2. (TWRP) adb pull /vendor/default.prop .
  3. Add net.tethering.noprovisioning=true to default.prop
  4. (TWRP) adb push default.prop /vendor/default.prop

CodyF86

Jul 4, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
Reactions: 7407010700

May 26, 2020
I font understand the first line. flash it to where?

From fastboot.

fastboot flash boot boot.img

Great. that worked, but the next line:

C:\adb>adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: device '(null)' not found
(I am in a cmd prompt (not powershell) run as administrator)

ghettozo

Feb 2, 2021
can someone help me please im trying to fix my phone its soft bricked i believe. moto e5play xt1921-1 opps27.91-121-19 i have no wifi no imie number just a broken phone if anybody can help thank you in advance

ghettozo

Feb 2, 2021

2. (TWRP) adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
  4. (TWRP) format data

1. (TWRP) adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor

TWRP 3.2.1 E5 Play
E5 Play DM-Verity Disabled Kernel
E5 Plus DM-Verity Disabled Kernel
fstab.qcom (no-encrypt)
can i please get a version for dummies on this i would very much appreciate it. im not sure what to do. xt1921-1 opps27.91-121-19

Kd2309

Dec 4, 2020
LG K92 5G
Realme 8
Hello 2 who reads this... I've been trying my best 2 root my fones starting with the Moto e5 Plus. It's been going on a week now and I have downloaded almost every single file that has been posted 4 my fone and nothing. I only have gotten as far as unlocking the bootloader. Nomatter wut i do the fone won't take the commands. I've been using powershell 4rm with n the file like instructed and all I've been able 2 do wuz lock myself on the bootloader recovery screen. I can't even load the stock rom 2 get the fone back 2 normal. I've tried factory reset 4rm the recovery and it says badkey 4rm wen I tried 2 use a flashtool program that wuz n side 1 of the files I downloaded 4rm here. Now, I'm stuck on the screen with the little driod laying on his back. I kno I'm not slow but this is my very 1st tyme trying 2 root my fones, so I truly, truly need ANYBODIES help that can actually walk me thru these steps so I can put a custom rom an upgrade my os n the fones that I want 2 root. I'm starting with the moto e5 plus, but I also have a galaxy s10e and a lg xpower that I wud like 2 do the same if i cud only 1st root the moto.Can sum1 any 1 that has successfully rooted ur fone without having 2 continue 2 re-do it over and over, please oh please aid and assist me on the right steps so i can have my fones rooted. Please sumbody HELP ME!!!!

connectingthedots

Mar 2, 2021
Hello 2 who reads this... I've been trying my best 2 root my fones starting with the Moto e5 Plus. It's been going on a week now and I have downloaded almost every single file that has been posted 4 my fone and nothing. I only have gotten as far as unlocking the bootloader. Nomatter wut i do the fone won't take the commands. I've been using powershell 4rm with n the file like instructed and all I've been able 2 do wuz lock myself on the bootloader recovery screen. I can't even load the stock rom 2 get the fone back 2 normal. I've tried factory reset 4rm the recovery and it says badkey 4rm wen I tried 2 use a flashtool program that wuz n side 1 of the files I downloaded 4rm here. ….

SUMMARY OF POST/REPLY

(ANDROID ON BACK WITH GUTS OPEN NOT A PROBLEM)
(ANDROID ON BACK A CRICKET/MOTO TRICK)
[ANSWER 1 BELOW]

(UNLOCK CODE FROM OTHER SAME MODEL NON CRICKET PHONES WORKS ON CRICKET MOTO E5 PLAY TO SOME DEGREE)
[ANSWER 2 BELOW]

(NOT THER YET, BUT SOLUTION MAY LIE IN INTERRUPTING SYSTEM REBOOT AFTER FASTBOOT "ERROR 7" OEM UNLOCK)
[COMMENT 1 BELOW]
--end summary--

[print] ANSWER 1 - RE: ANDROID ON BACK WITH GUTS OPEN

The android laying on his back with his guts open...that's depressing... that's a screen to thwart people from getting into recovery tools mode (adb sideload, factory mode, QCOM Processor access, etc.).

You need to push and hold the power button two seconds and then add on pushing the volume up button and keep both pushed for about six or seven seconds. It is finicky so do it a few times in a row making sure not to hold them too long. Do not push both buttons initially at the same time. The power button is the initial button and the volume up button is the after-button but they are both held for about 7 seconds.

If you hold the power and volume up buttons constantly the screen will oscillate between the moto logo and being black. Right as it goes black you can always just push and hold the volume down button real quick and that will get you back to the basic fastboot admin (not the real RECOVERY MODE) screen without the main RECOVERY tools.

[print] ANSWER 2 {PREPATORY} - RE: UNLOCK CODE FROM OTHER SAME MODEL NON CRICKET PHONES WORKS ON CRICKET MOTO E5 PLAY TO SOME DEGREE

Put your phone in fastboot mode with SDK COMMAND "adb reboot bootloader" or "fastboot reboot bootloader" (or manually power off, then press the power and volume down buttons simultaneously).

On your desktop, open a command prompt or terminal, and go to the directory where you installed the Android SDK tools (or make sure fastboot command are being made from correct directory.

• Download and install Motorola drivers and ADB drivers.
  • Download sdk fastboot and extract it anywhere on your computer.
  • Put your device in bootloader mode – Turn off your device and turn it on while pressing volume down key.
  • Connect your device to the computer.
  • Open extracted folder. Press and hold the shift key and right click on empty space in that folder.
  • Click open command window here.

[print] ANSWER 2 {FULL IMPLEMENTATION} HOW TO DO A fastboot command adb OEM unlock on CRICKET MOTO E5 PLAY THAT TEMPORARILY WORKS AND THEN SCREWS UP ON SYSTEM REBOOT BUT HAS A CHANCE OF WORKING SOMEHOW

1. (After placing your phone in USB debugging with MTP/PTP checked under USB configuration, and tuning on the option for "allow OEM unlock" in settings) Confirm your device is connected to adb command shell framework by using COMMAND: "adb devices" or "fastboot devices".

2. Put your device in fastboot mode (power off, then press the power and volume down buttons simultaneously) or use commands "fastboot reboot bootloader" to get to fastboot screen.

3. At the prompt, type the COMMAND "fastboot OEM unlock ZJC56EZ44C54LDSPXGQ5" (this is an unlock code from Motorola website for some Motorola non-cricket phone but it works. it made my phone data erased to where it asks to sign up for google and all that again and deletes the apps.)

It will warn you on your PC Command prompt and you need to do the identical command again to confirm.

[print] COMMENT 1 - RE: NOT THERE YET, BUT SOLUTION MAY LIE IN INTERRUPTING SYSTEM REBOOT AFTER FASTBOOT "ERROR 7" OEM UNLOCK

"I used the above method using an OEM unlock key for a different Moto E5 on my Cricket Phone and it basically unlocked my bootloader and then relocked it on reboot from what it appears."

Now the problem is that the phone is showing the setting option for "Allow OEM unlock" as greyed out. (Update: connecting phone to wifi fixed greyed-out OEM option issue almost immediately.) What I've read in general is that for phones that are troublesome like this you have to get into fastboot and recovery/tools mode before the phone totally reboots after doing an OEM unlock.

That way the phone does not relock the bootloader on you before you can flash patched magisk.img or twrp.img by adb sideload or fastboot flash. It may be that you flash some non-cricket moto firmware prion to the twrp/magisk flashing bc if you don't you will probably get the unsigned/incorrect footer error which is the hidden cricket firmware stopping the flash transfer. So in theory there is a way to do this.

see also
for other method that seems way better to upgrade/root Android
PS : It will say "error 7" so just ignore that.

Last edited:

connectingthedots

Mar 2, 2021
SUMMARY OF POST aka ITEMS OF ASSISTANCE LIST

ITEM 1_____Download Stock Firmware/Flash File Moto E5 Play
ITEM 1.1___Notes/cautions
ITEM 1.2___Firmware Information
ITEM 1.3___Download1.3.1Firmware: XT1921_8.0_Full_James_SPRINT_TMobile_Cricket
ITEM 1.3.2_Flash Tools: download link
ITEM 1.3.3_Driver: download link
ITEM 1.4___How to Install Stock Firmware Flash Moto E5 Play

--end summary--

[print] ITEM 1 - RE: Download Stock Firmware/Flash File Moto E5 Play

Official Stock Firmware Flash File For Moto E5 Play.
If you have Moto E5 Play Smartphone and you want to download the Stock ROM /Flash File for it then follow these instructions.

Moto E5 Play smartphone is run on android 8.0 OS which is powered by a QCOM Processor. The Moto E5 Play is a dual SIM (GSM and GSM) smartphone that accepts Nano-SIM and Nano-SIM. Connectivity options include Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth, NFC, USB OTG, FM, 3G and 4G.

[print] ITEM 1.1 - RE: NOTES/CAUTIONS

PREPARATORY ACTIONS:

a. This Guide works on listed devices only. So Please Don’t try it on any other Phone. In some cases we have bricked our device, then we can bring back the phone (Unbrick) using the stock firmware anytime. Also if you feel your Moto E5 Play lag or has an issue, then flash the stock firmware from the list below and save from situation. Stock Firmware doesn’t void a warranty on your Moto E5 Play.

b. Flashing The ROM by Flash tools will erase all your data. So create a backup of your Personal data before flashing.

c. We are not responsible for any damage, bootloop or dead SD card’s.

d. Ensure that your Device at-least 50% charge During Flashing Process, to avoid Accidentally Switch off.

e. Follow all steps correctly otherwise it may cause a bootloop.

f. Backup NVRAM using this Guide before Doing anything.

[print] ITEM 1.2 - RE: Firmware Information

Device Name
Moto E5 Play
SoC: QCOM
language: Multi Language
Root access: Not Rooted
Gapps: Included
Downloads: see below
Firmware:
XT1921_8.0_Full_James_SPRINT_TMobile_Cricket

Product name: Moto E5 Play
Type: unknown
ROM Size: up to 2GB GB
SoC: QCOM
Product version: XT1921_JAMES_T_8.0.0_OCP27.91
Password: Null

[print] ITEM 1.3.1 - RE Download Firmware: XT1921_8.0_Full_James_SPRINT_TMobile_Cricket ROMS

T Mobile MOTO E5 Play:
XT1921_JAMES_T_8.0.0_OCP27.91-51-4_TMO_RSU
Sprint MOTO E5 Play:
XT1924_james_SPRINT_8.0.0_OCP27.91-32_DEFAULT_CFC
Cricket MOTO E5 Play:
XT1921-2_JAMES_A_CRICKET_8.0.0_OCPS27.91

[print] ITEM 1.3.2 - Flash Tools
  • adb fastboot tools Here
[print] ITEM 1.3.2 - Driver
  • adb fastboot driver Here

[print] ITEM 1.4 {IMPLEMETATION} - RE: How to Install Stock Firmware Flash Moto E5 Play
  • Download and extract ROM in adb fastboot tool folder
  • Install adb fastboot Driver on PC
  • Reboot Phone to bootloader and Connect to PC
  • Open CMD in adb fastboot tool Folder and type below code to Flash the ROM.
Code:
mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
mfastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
mfastboot reboot-bootloadermfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
mfastboot erase modemst1mfastboot erase modemst2
mfastboot flash bluetooth BTFM.bin
mfastboot flash dsp dspso.binmfastboot flash logo logo.bin
mfastboot flash boot boot.imgmfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.7
mfastboot flash system_b system_other.img
mfastboot flash oem oem.img
mfastboot erase carriermfastboot erase userdata
mfastboot erase ddr
fastboot reboot

Have any issue Follow Detailed Guide With images Below

For OTA Follow this Guide : Here

Read also:
How to unlock Bootloader
How to Repair IMEI Number

Last edited:

connectingthedots

Mar 2, 2021
Using mFastboot To Flash Recovery Image On Motorola Devices

Many people experince that Motorola devices recovery image cannot be flashed directly using Fastboot. Often this is reflected in the phone fastboot screen showing messages that the footer of the attempted flash file overwrite/transfer is incorrect or that the signature of the data eing recieved y the Moto phone is "invalid." It is beinng discover that an image can be flashed using a modified version of SDK tools Fasboot called "mFastboot" - the "m" standing for Motorola. At this time it is unknown if mFastboot assists ultimately in unlocking the Cricket MOTO E5 Play bootloader.

Requirements
  1. Motorola drivers.
  2. Unlocked Bootloader.(If not, click here)
  3. ADB drivers.
  4. mFastboot (Download Link).
  5. Recovery Image.
  6. USB Cable.
  7. Windows PC/Laptop.
  8. Motorola device.
Steps to flash recovery image on Motorola devices using mFastboot

Warning:- This can potentially brick your device. So follow the instructions carefully. Neither I or anyone except you is responsible for your device. This will also void your warranty.

1. Download and install Motorola drivers and ADB drivers.
  2. Download mFastboot and extract it anywhere on your computer.
  3. Download and copy the recovery image you wanted to flash in that folder.
  4. Put your device in bootloader mode – Turn off your device and turn it on while pressing volume down key.
  5. Connect your device to the computer.
  6. Open extracted folder. Press and hold the shift key and right click on empty space in that folder.
  7. Click open command window here.
  8. Type mfastboot flash recovery recoveryimagename.img
  9. Replace “recoveryimagename” with the name of your recovery image file and hit enter.
  10. You have successfully flashed recovery image on your device.

Last edited:

connectingthedots

Mar 2, 2021
Using mFastboot To Flash Recovery Image On Motorola Devices

Many people experience that Motorola device recovery images cannot be flashed directly using SDK Fastboot. Often this is reflected in the phone fastboot screen showing messages that the footer of the attempted flash file overwrite/transfer is "incorrect" or that the signature of the data being received by the Motorola phone is "invalid." It is being discovered that an image can be flashed to a Moto phone using a modified version of SDK tools Fastboot called "mFastboot" - the "m" standing for Motorola. At this time it is unknown if mFastboot assists ultimately in unlocking the Cricket MOTO E5 Play bootloader.

Requirements
  1. Motorola drivers.
  2. Unlocked Bootloader. (If not, click here)(but not if Cricket Android 8.0 (James))**
  3. ADB drivers.
  4. mFastboot (Download Link).
  5. Recovery Image.
  6. USB Cable.
  7. Windows PC/Laptop.
  8. Motorola device.
Steps to flash recovery image on Motorola devices using mFastboot

Warning:- This can potentially brick your device. So follow the instructions carefully. Neither I or anyone except you is responsible for your device. This will also void your warranty.

1. Download and install Motorola drivers and ADB drivers.
  2. Download mFastboot and extract it anywhere on your computer.
  3. Download and copy the recovery image you wanted to flash in that folder.
  4. Put your device in bootloader mode – (turn off your device and turn it on while pressing volume down key).
  5. Connect your device to the computer.
  6. Open extracted folder. Press and hold the shift key and right click on empty space in that folder.
  7. Click open command window here.
  8. Type mfastboot flash recovery recoveryimagename.img
  9. Replace “recoveryimagename” with the name of your recovery image file and hit enter.
  10. You have successfully flashed recovery image on your device.
NOTE: If your Moto is Cricket then you need to do the "Error 7" OEM unlock described in my post above and proceed to interrupt the system reboot after the error 7 code and successful OEM unlock from fastboot menu. If you can interrupt and get to Recovery Tools/ADB Sideload Menu then you can flash TWRP/Magisk at that point. (ONLY A THEORY AT THIS POINT. SORRY. But at least its a workable theory.).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

4. (TWRP) format data

TWRP 3.2.1 E5 Play
    E5 Play DM-Verity Disabled Kernel
    E5 Plus DM-Verity Disabled Kernel
    fstab.qcom (no-encrypt)
    So next question being is it time to build lineage is 15.1.

Me thinks so says the guy running the build environment currently

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
    OP updated with instruction on how to disable /data encryption.
    Guys it's never appropriate and is in fact strictly forbidden by XDA guidelines to ask for ETAs, updates, etc. Devs like the OP have busy lives outside of XDA and sacrifice their free time and resources to development for the Android community. I'm just saying, please be a bit more considerate and respectful. Thank you.
    It is completely understandable, considering that the Moto E5 series of smartphone is relatively new, to anxiously await development for the device. I'm in high hopes that more devs such as the OP take a developmental interest in the Moto E5 and its many variants, and that we start seeing custom ROMs, custom kernels, mods, custom recoveries, and root tutorials for this great device. I'm only asking that we give our devs respect, be thankful for their time and contributions, and refrain from asking for updates, ETAs, etc. One thing is for certain -- devs love to develop. They just don't always have an abundance of free time to do so outside their sometimes hectic personal lives. OK I've ranted enough. Thanks to all members and devs alike who support the Moto E5 series.