[Recovery][TWRP][Root] TWRP and Root for Moto E5 Play (James)

Search This thread

hayted7

Dec 13, 2010
Thank you Jacob019, I will try it this afternoon.
Do you know if this phone (XT1921-5, from Boost Mobile) can be unlocked for use with other GSM careers, like T-mobile or AT&T? Or may be for use outside US (in Canada)?

jacob019

Oct 18, 2014
Thank you Jacob019, I will try it this afternoon.
Do you know if this phone (XT1921-5, from Boost Mobile) can be unlocked for use with other GSM careers, like T-mobile or AT&T? Or may be for use outside US (in Canada)?

I'm not aware of any exploits, but it can be unlocked by boost after a year of service or by Sprint after 2 months of service. I've seen reports of various sprint phones working with GSM carriers using AOSP roms (like Lineage) without being carrier unlocked, so that might be worth a try.

tripinva

Aug 2, 2018
I've got the T-Mobile version of the E5 Play on its way to me. As far as I can tell, it is the same hardware as the Sprint/Boost version, but with different software. Given that all I really want is root, do those with more knowledge than I have agree with me that it should be safe to flash the included TWRP and then Magisk?

Also, would it be possible to expand on the directions in the first post just a bit? Specifically, I was under the impression that adb commands were run from the command line on the computer, but in the instructions in the first post, they have "TWRP" next to them. I feel like I'm misunderstanding something.

- Trip

Last edited:

tripinva

Aug 2, 2018
I've got the T-Mobile version of the E5 Play on its way to me. As far as I can tell, it is the same hardware as the Sprint/Boost version, but with different software. Given that all I really want is root, do those with more knowledge than I have agree with me that it should be safe to flash the included TWRP and then Magisk?

Also, would it be possible to expand on the directions in the first post just a bit? Specifically, I was under the impression that adb commands were run from the command line on the computer, but in the instructions in the first post, they have "TWRP" next to them. I feel like I'm misunderstanding something.

- Trip

So, to quote my own reply, I successfully unlocked the bootloader, I can get into TWRP just fine, but attempting to follow the steps shown in the first post resulted in a boot loop. Not sure if the noverity image needs to be customized for the T-Mobile version of this phone or what exactly went wrong, but I'm restoring from my backup now.

- Trip

Fersho

Dec 17, 2014
Mexico
does anybody know how to root Moto E5 normal version? no play, no plus, because I've been searching on Google, Youtube and here but there isn't any info

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
does anybody know how to root Moto E5 normal version? no play, no plus, because I've been searching on Google, Youtube and here but there isn't any info
Are you referring to the XT1944 series Moto E5? Which model do you have? There are a few variants of the Moto E5 (e.g. xt1944-2, 1944-4, etc.)

tripinva

Aug 2, 2018
Are there any files or data that I can provide to someone who knows how to make the appropriate DM Verity Disabled kernel for my T-Mobile E5 Play?

- Trip

jacob019

Oct 18, 2014
But it may work for XT1944-2 model? also TWRP is for Moto E5 Play, not for normal version, or it might work also?

I expect that Magisk will work fine with the XT1944-2. If XT1944-2 is James, then the TWRP image will probably work. There's no harm in trying. You don't need to flash TWRP, just fastboot boot it.

Fersho

Dec 17, 2014
Mexico
I expect that Magisk will work fine with the XT1944-2. If XT1944-2 is James, then the TWRP image will probably work. There's no harm in trying. You don't need to flash TWRP, just fastboot boot it.

Ok, but how am I going to do a backup to prevent any issue? Was a long time since I don't have Motorola so I don't know if it necessary to unlock the bootloader or something else

jacob019

Oct 18, 2014
Ok, but how am I going to do a backup to prevent any issue? Was a long time since I don't have Motorola so I don't know if it necessary to unlock the bootloader or something else

First step, unlock bootloader.
No need to flash any partitions in fastboot.
fastboot boot twrp.img
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/boot
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/system
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/recovery
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor
if anything goes wrong you can reflash those partitions in fastboot

Fersho

Dec 17, 2014
Mexico
First step, unlock bootloader.
No need to flash any partitions in fastboot.
fastboot boot twrp.img
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/boot
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/system
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/recovery
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor
if anything goes wrong you can reflash those partitions in fastboot

now bootloader is unlocked, then TWRP for James works for XT1944-2? then I didn't understood correctly the procedure and I don't have James or Moto E5 Plus, just normal version XT1944-2

Last edited:

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
Yes, sorry for not mentioning the model, I've got XT1944-2 variant, is it there any possible way?
I've got factory firmware for your model but I'm not certain about root. I'll see what I can find out for you. It looks as though the xt1944-2 runs on the Snapdragon 425. I'll try to find you a bootable TWRP. First and foremost, you need to unlock your bootloader if you have not already done so.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Take a backup. :)

How-to root & disable encrypted /data:

1. (Fastboot) flash the no-verity kernel
    2. (TWRP) adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
    3. (TWRP) adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom
    4. (TWRP) format data
    5. (TWRP) flash magisk beta

Wifi / Unlimited Tethering
    1. (TWRP) adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
    2. (TWRP) adb pull /vendor/default.prop .
    3. Add net.tethering.noprovisioning=true to default.prop
    4. (TWRP) adb push default.prop /vendor/default.prop

TWRP 3.2.1 E5 Play
    E5 Play DM-Verity Disabled Kernel
    E5 Plus DM-Verity Disabled Kernel
    fstab.qcom (no-encrypt)
    So next question being is it time to build lineage is 15.1.

Me thinks so says the guy running the build environment currently

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
    OP updated with instruction on how to disable /data encryption.
    Guys it's never appropriate and is in fact strictly forbidden by XDA guidelines to ask for ETAs, updates, etc. Devs like the OP have busy lives outside of XDA and sacrifice their free time and resources to development for the Android community. I'm just saying, please be a bit more considerate and respectful. Thank you.
    It is completely understandable, considering that the Moto E5 series of smartphone is relatively new, to anxiously await development for the device. I'm in high hopes that more devs such as the OP take a developmental interest in the Moto E5 and its many variants, and that we start seeing custom ROMs, custom kernels, mods, custom recoveries, and root tutorials for this great device. I'm only asking that we give our devs respect, be thankful for their time and contributions, and refrain from asking for updates, ETAs, etc. One thing is for certain -- devs love to develop. They just don't always have an abundance of free time to do so outside their sometimes hectic personal lives. OK I've ranted enough. Thanks to all members and devs alike who support the Moto E5 series.