[Recovery][TWRP][Root] TWRP and Root for Moto E5 Play (James)

Search This thread

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
The links are working fine for me. AFAIK the cricket bootloader can't be unlocked, but if you can unlock the bootloader then it should work, just skip the dm-verity kernel and use Magisk BETA 16.7.
So on the Cricket variant, can you confirm that bootloader unlocking is not supported by the Motorola bootloader unlocking site? If so I'll add that info to my stock firmware thread.

rehannasim

Jul 3, 2018
My phone is same but code name is different

My phone is Moto E5 play but codename is not (JAmes)
will it work. i am talking about twrp file . can i use this twrp for my phone . my phone codename is not "james" .but it is Moto e5 play (XT1920-15)

Last edited:

rehannasim

Jul 3, 2018
will try

i will try and inform you the result.
i tried before and got an error "Image not signed or corrupt"
but i read previous post here. seems like i forget to boot to recovery.
will try it again now.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

I have a fully functional stock Android 8.0.0 Oreo ROM compiled for this device. @CodyF86 I have used your boot.img and I have unpacked it, set it to an insecured boot image with init.d support. I've also patched SELinux policy for deodexing in the future. The disabled dm-verity and other original patches and mods you done on the kernel are untouched. Of course, I do want your permission and approval before uploading the ROM. I will give you due credit in the OP of course if you are ok with me including it in the ROM zip. I'll try and upload it and post a link this evening.
Do you have stock rom for e6 play?

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
i will try and inform you the result.
i tried before and got an error "Image not signed or corrupt"
but i read previous post here. seems like i forget to boot to recovery.
will try it again now.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Do you have stock rom for e6 play?
Are you referring to E6 Play or G6 Play?

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

To be honest someone sent me a pm and twrpbuilder had an image for hannah and jeter and I repacked it for james. :)
Oh okay. Great job repacking.

Last edited:

egoniasty

May 8, 2013
https://imgur.com/npXV623i have tmobile version of moto e5 play and after installing twrp phone gets stuck in twrp preforming openscript all the time keeps rebooting itself and preforming openscript in twrp erasing the data over and over again any advises on how to fix this bootloop.

Last edited:

allenjthomsen

Nov 17, 2010
Oregon
Samsung Galaxy S20
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
To be honest someone sent me a pm and twrpbuilder had an image for hannah and jeter and I repacked it for james. :)

no need to repack that twrp it is built directly off of stock recovery for e5 plus im the one who pm'd you about it ,and also the one who sent the stock recovery to them for them to build
it should work just fine on all e5's without changing anything have you tried booting it on an e5 play or any other said above e5's to see if it will boot as is without changing the zimage or dtb

jacob019

Oct 18, 2014
https://imgur.com/npXV623i have tmobile version of moto e5 play and after installing twrp phone gets stuck in twrp preforming openscript all the time keeps rebooting itself and preforming openscript in twrp erasing the data over and over again any advises on how to fix this bootloop.

Restore stock recovery from the bootloader and let the stock recovery process the script, then you can restore twrp. There are other ways too.

egoniasty

May 8, 2013
I was looking for stock recovery for tmobile moto e5 play variant but its not posted yet can you please tell me about other ways to fix it without stock recovery .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Take a backup. :)

How-to root & disable encrypted /data:

1. (Fastboot) flash the no-verity kernel
    2. (TWRP) adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
    3. (TWRP) adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom
    4. (TWRP) format data
    5. (TWRP) flash magisk beta

Wifi / Unlimited Tethering
    1. (TWRP) adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
    2. (TWRP) adb pull /vendor/default.prop .
    3. Add net.tethering.noprovisioning=true to default.prop
    4. (TWRP) adb push default.prop /vendor/default.prop

TWRP 3.2.1 E5 Play
    E5 Play DM-Verity Disabled Kernel
    E5 Plus DM-Verity Disabled Kernel
    fstab.qcom (no-encrypt)
    So next question being is it time to build lineage is 15.1.

Me thinks so says the guy running the build environment currently

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
    OP updated with instruction on how to disable /data encryption.
    Guys it's never appropriate and is in fact strictly forbidden by XDA guidelines to ask for ETAs, updates, etc. Devs like the OP have busy lives outside of XDA and sacrifice their free time and resources to development for the Android community. I'm just saying, please be a bit more considerate and respectful. Thank you.
    It is completely understandable, considering that the Moto E5 series of smartphone is relatively new, to anxiously await development for the device. I'm in high hopes that more devs such as the OP take a developmental interest in the Moto E5 and its many variants, and that we start seeing custom ROMs, custom kernels, mods, custom recoveries, and root tutorials for this great device. I'm only asking that we give our devs respect, be thankful for their time and contributions, and refrain from asking for updates, ETAs, etc. One thing is for certain -- devs love to develop. They just don't always have an abundance of free time to do so outside their sometimes hectic personal lives. OK I've ranted enough. Thanks to all members and devs alike who support the Moto E5 series.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone