[Recovery][TWRP][Root] TWRP and Root for Moto E5 Play (James)

Search This thread

jeffhutch.412

Jun 27, 2012
pittsburgh
Just wondering about the hotspot.
I added the prop line when my 15 gigs of hotspot was at 50%. The number counting the data went up and stopped at 15/15 gb, but under the bar still says 50% haha.
It's still seems to be working....
Is this how it's worked for anybody else?

Starkiller2

May 2, 2018
phoenix
Just wondering about the hotspot.
I added the prop line when my 15 gigs of hotspot was at 50%. The number counting the data went up and stopped at 15/15 gb, but under the bar still says 50% haha.
It's still seems to be working....
Is this how it's worked for anybody else?
That one didn't work on Mine, but I'm boost. On those you just edit the apns

Reactions: jeffhutch.412

Starkiller2

May 2, 2018
phoenix
On boost, I'm not sure about others, your hotspot gets routed to a different apn. Basically the hotspot looks for the apn with the type listed as dun. Which on boost is the Pam apn. Boost.pamsn. but regular internet goes through the internet apn, x.boost.ispsn. with the type as default. You just edit the Pam apn to x.boost.ispsn instead of boost.pamsn. when hotspot looks for dun, it finds it, but routes it with your regular data traffic. I've been using it for a year. Boost has unlimited data so....
Although boost and Sprint lock their apns (they'll be greyed out in settings) there are always ways. I use an sqlite editor.

sgnphone2

Jan 12, 2017
St. Catharines
Is the OP still accurate? I simply want to install magisk to root my xt1921-1. Some people say don't flash Verity since magisk will do this for you.

Just want to confirm that I'm going to unlock bootloader, flash TWRP and then run magisk manager from stock ROM?

Updated step by step plz. Xt1921-1 is Canadian bought from Chatr

LinuxPusher

Jan 19, 2018
Is the OP still accurate? I simply want to install magisk to root my xt1921-1. Some people say don't flash Verity since magisk will do this for you.

Just want to confirm that I'm going to unlock bootloader, flash TWRP and then run magisk manager from stock ROM?

. Xt1921-1 is Canadian bought from Chatr

Same question here. :confused:

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Updated step by step plz. Xt1921-1 is Canadian bought from Chatr

Take a backup. :)

How-to root & disable encrypted /data:

1. (Fastboot) flash the no-verity kernel
  2. (TWRP) adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
  3. (TWRP) adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom
  4. (TWRP) format data
  5. (TWRP) flash magisk beta

Wifi / Unlimited Tethering
  1. (TWRP) adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
  2. (TWRP) adb pull /vendor/default.prop .
  3. Add net.tethering.noprovisioning=true to default.prop
  4. (TWRP) adb push default.prop /vendor/default.prop

TWRP 3.2.1 E5 Play
E5 Play DM-Verity Disabled Kernel
E5 Plus DM-Verity Disabled Kernel
fstab.qcom (no-encrypt)

The OP was last updated Aug 2018
So no changes at all ?

Last edited:

bubba1601

Aug 23, 2016
Nokia G10/G20
Same question here. :confused:

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

The OP was last updated Aug 2018
So no changes at all ?

The op is incorrect if you have a certain version of the E5.

These instructions DO NOT work on the E5 play (PETTYL) and have to be done differently, with magisk.

Unfortunately there's lots of stuff posted here for the E5 and due to a lack of interest and users, it's been established by trial and error PETTYL is alot different to the other E5 versions.
Most of the stuff posted here on xda for the E5 is not compatible or doesn't work on the E5 Play, just something E5 play users should be aware off as there's also a big lack of information for E5 play users

Last edited:

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
E5 Play issues with files to flash

Alright... I have done just about every method to flash and operate as rooted and with data without encryption.

Problem is Twrp makes moto and leveno tools not detect the device, and system updates fail to install.

My solution is to unlock the boot loader, and install a 128gb SD card with the necessary zip files to install, run Twrp from SD card, backup recovery, system and boot loader, then install magisk 18.0 zip or super su zip. Wipe cache and reboot.

Nothing damaged in the process outside of tripping the bad data fuse. Installed the latest factory firmware July 2019 for my device and ran the moto update to flash Sept 2019 update.

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
Im getting the error below, please help!

Also, I'm a noob if someone can tell me the exact commands for TWRP based on the OP, I would be very grateful

HTML:
red@debian:~$ fastboot flash boot '/home/red/Downloads/boot-e5-noverity.img' 
target reported max download size of 535822336 bytes
sending 'boot' (16384 KB)...
OKAY [  0.655s]
writing 'boot'...
(bootloader) Image not signed or corrupt
OKAY [  0.544s]
finished. total time: 1.199s

Ach! That doesn't work very well. I patched my own kernel with the universal disabler zip file used on another thread. Though magisk takes care of the option when it is installed, you can use the manager to turn on or off the features.

IMO unlock the boot loader, and don't bother with flashing your good system, just run Twrp without flashing it, and install magisk, or flash a GSI, package... Loading twrp when doing so, and install magisk. Really simple and you don't hose your recovery and boot image.

I don't know why peeps disable encryption. I disabled just to see if there was any benefit. Obviously none... makes your phone easy to hack actually. Just put in a huge SD card and be happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOOGLE_USER

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
Ah, you mean install Magisk and then you can get rid of those pesky TMobile apps and any other you might not want?

Can you link to a working Magisk Version pl?

In the process of reverting back to stock following this https://xdaforums.com/moto-e5/how-to/firmware-moto-e5-xt1944-4-dual-sim-t3820901

[PC]

Copy magisk v19 zip to phone SD card via mtp connection
Copy twrp james recovery.img and James boot logo.bin into your adb tools folder in windows
Rename the Twrp james file recovery.img
Rename james boot logo.bin logo.bin
Open a command window and change directory to your adb tools folder
Type the following command...
fastboot boot recovery.img

[Phone]

TWRP full backup to SD
Install magisk 19.0
Boot to bootloader

PC

fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot reboot

Phone

Install magisk manager after boot and setup

You will need a file explorer that will detect root. I use Solid Explorer, Ti Backup can freeze system files in the vendor folder, but cannot remove them. You can use Twrp file explorer to delete vendor files, and what you don't need installed in the system apps folder. I only use Twrp when initial setup is done.

Be careful about deleting ota files, else you will kill security updates, mainly October which is going to be released this month. They are all incremental, so be sure to flash the latest firmware, as my original was almost a year old, and had many updates to complete. I flashed the newest and only had one or two updates, being Sept the last for now.

If you flash Twrp, that will never happen, as it breaks the security patch installation. That is why I stated to launch Twrp, not to flash it.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOOGLE_USER

deanec64

Nov 15, 2019
I think I messed up royally

I tried Fastboot flash boot boot-e5-noverity.img

and now its Error: failed to load kernel.

I'd appreciate any and all help to get this booting. IT DOES get into Recovery for some odd reason.

never mind figured it out

Last edited:

amees1991

Feb 27, 2013
Hi I am having a problem I have a Moto e5 play and I unlocked the bootloader but can not install twrp I'm getting image not signed or corrupt I have tried lots of different thing

JOHNBON2010

Dec 8, 2008
I have sprint e5 can i root with this and the phone will be unlocked??? I am unlock the bootloader and installed twrp.

Last edited:

LinuxPusher

Jan 19, 2018
CodyF86, Is the Original Post number 1 Up To Date ?

@CodyF86,
Hi, Thank You Very Much for your time and experience, making it possible to own my cell.
Question: Is the Original Post updated ?
Thank you
LP

MobWolf

Feb 17, 2016
I have a Moto e5 cruise cricket phone

My e5 cruise cricket phone is still stock I'm sure it would have what you need in it but I don't have a computer. If there is any of sending the files you need directly from my phone I would be happy to help

LockSwitchAccess

Jan 26, 2020
Have we found the creator?

I'm new so bear with me...

Anyone know who created the original James version?
I am looking for the creator of this version.
I have the original IMEI of the phones it was created on.
This device has been offline for quite some time. Originally on METRO PCS network before it was sold to T-Mobile.

Is it possible to find the original user who accidentally created this version?

Thanks for any input. I am new. Just a curious busy bee.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Take a backup. :)

How-to root & disable encrypted /data:

1. (Fastboot) flash the no-verity kernel
    2. (TWRP) adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
    3. (TWRP) adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom
    4. (TWRP) format data
    5. (TWRP) flash magisk beta

Wifi / Unlimited Tethering
    1. (TWRP) adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor
    2. (TWRP) adb pull /vendor/default.prop .
    3. Add net.tethering.noprovisioning=true to default.prop
    4. (TWRP) adb push default.prop /vendor/default.prop

TWRP 3.2.1 E5 Play
    E5 Play DM-Verity Disabled Kernel
    E5 Plus DM-Verity Disabled Kernel
    fstab.qcom (no-encrypt)
    So next question being is it time to build lineage is 15.1.

Me thinks so says the guy running the build environment currently

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
    OP updated with instruction on how to disable /data encryption.
    Guys it's never appropriate and is in fact strictly forbidden by XDA guidelines to ask for ETAs, updates, etc. Devs like the OP have busy lives outside of XDA and sacrifice their free time and resources to development for the Android community. I'm just saying, please be a bit more considerate and respectful. Thank you.
    It is completely understandable, considering that the Moto E5 series of smartphone is relatively new, to anxiously await development for the device. I'm in high hopes that more devs such as the OP take a developmental interest in the Moto E5 and its many variants, and that we start seeing custom ROMs, custom kernels, mods, custom recoveries, and root tutorials for this great device. I'm only asking that we give our devs respect, be thankful for their time and contributions, and refrain from asking for updates, ETAs, etc. One thing is for certain -- devs love to develop. They just don't always have an abundance of free time to do so outside their sometimes hectic personal lives. OK I've ranted enough. Thanks to all members and devs alike who support the Moto E5 series.