[RECOVERY][TWRP][Unofficial] Galaxy Tab Active 2 - TWRP 3.2.3-0 [Exynos]

Search This thread

Shedaim

Apr 11, 2018
Disclaimer
**** All flashing is done at your own risk! ****
**** While this recovery should not break your device, don't come back here blaming anyone if it does! ****

This is a TWRP 3.2.3 build based on Android 7.1.2 source kernel for the Galaxy Tab Active 2 (codename: gtactive2lte) - Exynos. The "tar" file should be installed using Odin (tested on Odin 3.12.3).

Special Notes:
1. DON'T FORGET TO ENABLE "OEM UNLOCK" (located in Developers options, if its not there, you may have to wait for a few days to access that option, some users claim that its within 10 days before this option appears).
2. KNOX will be tripped once you flashed custom binaries to your phone.
3. Samsung Firmware OTA (aka System Updates) will no longer work once you flashed custom binaries.
(You can flash custom ROMs if you want to keep the OS up-to-date.)
4. It is HIGHLY UNRECOMMENDED to purchase any access to any kind of private forums, ROMs or Kernels.(DO NOT GET FOOLED.)

Installation process:
1. Flash Stock ROM.
2. Flash recovery using Odin (AP = recovery.tar).
3. Load recovery immediately after flashing.
4. Format data (Will erase /data partition).
5. Reboot to recovery.
6. ADB push SuperSU to internal storage / insert SD-Card with SuperSU.zip.
7. Flash SuperSU using TWRP install option.
8. Reboot to system (May bootloop several times. Wait untill system loads).

Bugs:
1. ADB sometimes doesn't work in MTP mode. Need to manually change to PTP in order to get adb usage.
2. Bad label in ADB shell + bad characters appearing while writing through AD. Works well out of recovery and on recovery's terminal.

Sources:
Device tree - Device tree
Kernel - Kernel
TWRP sources - platform_manifest_twrp_omni
SuperSU - SuperSU-2.82-SR5

Recovery download:
Recovery

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.0
Stable Release Date: 08/19/2018 (DD/MM/YYYY)

Contributors:
Many thanks to TWRP's developers for the support on building this recovery.
Special thanks to CaptainThrowback, Bigbiff and Dees_Troy on TWRP-freenode and Ashyx on xda-developers.

Please post any bugs you encounter. I will try to fix any issues that come up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aironfaar

slomo2

Apr 21, 2014
Thanks for the work and sharing. I'm excited to try. Having root would be great, but I'd also like to be able to make voice calls ( using bluetooth as the built-in speaker & microphone aren't adequate ). Do you think this is possible. What changes, if any, are required to have work with T397 Tab Active 2 ( US variant ) ? I'm sure that it's mobile frequencies are different than what the euro-spec'd T395, but otherwise I think identical.

Slomo

Shedaim

Apr 11, 2018
Thanks for the work and sharing. I'm excited to try. Having root would be great, but I'd also like to be able to make voice calls ( using bluetooth as the built-in speaker & microphone aren't adequate ). Do you think this is possible. What changes, if any, are required to have work with T397 Tab Active 2 ( US variant ) ? I'm sure that it's mobile frequencies are different than what the euro-spec'd T395, but otherwise I think identical.

Slomo

Well, Samsung has a nice repo of their source kernels for every phone Samsung sources
I guess we just have to validate some data taken from boot.img from the stock rom and then build the same with the appropriate source kernel.

Last edited:

slomo2

Apr 21, 2014
Well, Samsung has a nice repo of their source kernels for every phone Samsung sources
I guess we just have to validate some data taken from boot.img from the stock rom and then build the same with the appropriate source kernel.

Had no idea the source was available for these devices, thanks for sharing. T397 source is in the repository. Let me know if there is something that I can do to assist. I've not compiled these sources although I've compiled other things. Possible to use this tablet as a phone with this ROM as stock T397 ( even after installing several different dialers does not dial ) ?

Shedaim

Apr 11, 2018
Had no idea the source was available for these devices, thanks for sharing. T397 source is in the repository. Let me know if there is something that I can do to assist. I've not compiled these sources although I've compiled other things. Possible to use this tablet as a phone with this ROM as stock T397 ( even after installing several different dialers does not dial ) ?

I can't check the dialer thing, as I don't even have cellular network on my Tablet.
I'll try to build the recovery for the T397 later today, but you will have to check it I guess, as I have no access to that one.

slomo2

Apr 21, 2014
I can't check the dialer thing, as I don't even have cellular network on my Tablet.
I'll try to build the recovery for the T397 later today, but you will have to check it I guess, as I have no access to that one.

This will be great, let me know if I can help, perhaps document.

Shedaim

Apr 11, 2018

Ok, so this is a first try, so I believe it's not going to work, but who knows? we may get lucky.
Recovery for SM-T397 - Android 7.1.2

If it doesn't get installed or leads to a bootloop, I'm gonna need you to pull the boot.img from your device, or send me a link of the stock ROM if it's available.
Please follow the intsallation process described on the README file on the github repository

Reactions: slomo2

slomo2

Apr 21, 2014
Ok, so this is a first try, so I believe it's not going to work, but who knows? we may get lucky.

If it doesn't get installed or leads to a bootloop, I'm gonna need you to pull the boot.img from your device, or send me a link of the stock ROM if it's available.
Please follow the intsallation process described on the README file on the github repository

Thank you! Successfully installed. I found this video helpful for this generation of Samsung device and learning how to navigate recovery and download modes. I disabled auto-reboot in ODIN per your instructions, but it wasn't clear to me how to power-off after download so as to be able to go into recovery without booting so after adequate time I just pulled the battery. I'll spend the evening playing with things and report back, but so far everything seems to be working :)

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

Thank you! Successfully installed. I found this video helpful for this generation of Samsung device and learning how to navigate recovery and download modes. I disabled auto-reboot in ODIN per your instructions, but it wasn't clear to me how to power-off after download so as to be able to go into recovery without booting so after adequate time I just pulled the battery. I'll spend the evening playing with things and report back, but so far everything seems to be working :)

One thing I notice, 7.1.1 is what was/is installed on my tablet now. Not sure what version of Android available on Samsung Opensource or how to check it, but I suspect it is the same since nothing has been pushed OTA.

May 20, 2014
Arlington
7.1.1 is what The T397U should have already been on before you started. Mine is and I have not installed this recovery as of yet. Just wanted to let you know it's where it should be. :)

Shedaim

Apr 11, 2018

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

One thing I notice, 7.1.1 is what was/is installed on my tablet now. Not sure what version of Android available on Samsung Opensource or how to check it, but I suspect it is the same since nothing has been pushed OTA.

Awesome. I really had my doubts being it the first build and all. I guess, there aren't really any major differences.
If it's possible, can you go through the TWRP checklist here
Some of the tests aren't really necessary, but it's a good checklist to go by anyway.
That way, I can officially add it to the OP.

Last edited:

slomo2

Apr 21, 2014
Awesome. I really had my doubts being it the first build and all. I guess, there aren't really any major differences.
If it's possible, can you go through the TWRP checklist here
Some of the tests aren't really necessary, but it's a good checklist to go by anyway.
That way, I can officially add it to the OP.

Sorry for delay. I've done the following tests all with the expected results. The only thing I noticed compared to previous installations of TWRP that I've performed ( some years ago ) is that the load time of recovery seems long at 1:15. Also a message about "RECOVERY NOT SEANDROID ENFORCING" which I suspect is normal. Tablet has been working without incident. Thanks again.

Blocking checks
- Correct screen/recovery size
- Working Touch, screen
- Backup to internal/microSD
- Restore from internal/microSD
- reboot to system
-ADB ( yes, if this means being able to access from ADB while in recovery )

Medium checks
- Screen goes off (and on :))
- F2FS/EXT4 Support, exFAT/NTFS where supported
- all important partitions listed in mount/backup lists
===> define important ? - depends on the device, i guess
= Assume we can still boot a recovery (aboot/lk is still there for fastboot), can restore everything left ?
- backup/restore to/from external (USB-OTG) storage
- Correct date

Minor checks
- MTP export
- reboot to bootloader
- reboot to recovery
- poweroff
- battery level
- USB mass storage export
- set brightness
- vibrate

slomo2

Apr 21, 2014
Security Policy Updates should not be applied to this system ?

Since this is stock Samsung OS that is rooted I'm guessing this system is still SELinux "enforcing" so does this mean that I can/should say yes to Security Enhancements automatic updates from Samsung ? Any explanation or link on this matter appreciated.

Shedaim

Apr 11, 2018
Hey @Shedaim, thanks a lot for this recovery, would it be possible to release an update for oreo?

Hey, sorry for the very late answer.

I'm currently not working on Android and I've never tried on OREO, so my politically correct answer would be: "Right now there is no plan to work the same magic on OREO, but whoever wants, can try to use the device tree I created with a new official OREO kernel (didn't know they have one already)".
Anyway, keep checking the forum from time to time, I may have found the time to work on it :cowboy:

Links to the device tree and other tools used are in the main page of this thread.

Thank you,

Shedaim

stasiIgor

Apr 28, 2019
I Pay 100$ for making my Galaxy Tab Active 2 booting when its charging

Hey guys,

i hope somebody can help me.
Im trying since 2 Weeks to make my Galaxy Tab Active 2 booting when its charging.
I try all the ways i found (fastboot, LPM change and Autoboot App) and nothing was successful.

So i hope to find with this way somebody who would help me to get the feature.
I need it because i installed the Active 2 on my Harley Davidson as my navigation.
And the problem is that i make a Novalauncher thats looking like the original Harley Davidson one and starts without a code.
So when i put the Tablet in the Mask i dont get a method to press to power button and when i make a method (hole trough the mask or something) then everybody can start up my tablet and use it.

So if somebody can help me with that i will pay them 100$ for helping!

you can contact me at momographics@live.de.

thanks alot

sCOTTN916

Jun 23, 2014
Excuse me for a moment, but i have a Galaxy Tab Active 2 WIFI (sm-t390) and im looking for a custom recovery for it. All i can find for this model is the SM-T395 variant of TWRP,root, etc. Absolutelly nothing for the SM-T390? Does any one have any ideas???? Thank you in advance either way.

May 20, 2014
Arlington
Excuse me for a moment, but i have a Galaxy Tab Active 2 WIFI (sm-t390) and im looking for a custom recovery for it. All i can find for this model is the SM-T395 variant of TWRP,root, etc. Absolutelly nothing for the SM-T390? Does any one have any ideas???? Thank you in advance either way.

I used the methods and recovery here for my tablet which is a T397U...works flawlessly. The same should work for the wifi T390 you have aswell.

rregn

Apr 25, 2012
i can Flash this twrp-3.2.3-0-gtactive2lte-7.1.2.tar, Odin says pass, but there is no TWRP. it boots into System. when i stop and boot to recovery, there is stll custom recovery from T395XXU5CSH2.
Any hints?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer
    **** All flashing is done at your own risk! ****
    **** While this recovery should not break your device, don't come back here blaming anyone if it does! ****

This is a TWRP 3.2.3 build based on Android 7.1.2 source kernel for the Galaxy Tab Active 2 (codename: gtactive2lte) - Exynos. The "tar" file should be installed using Odin (tested on Odin 3.12.3).

Special Notes:
    1. DON'T FORGET TO ENABLE "OEM UNLOCK" (located in Developers options, if its not there, you may have to wait for a few days to access that option, some users claim that its within 10 days before this option appears).
    2. KNOX will be tripped once you flashed custom binaries to your phone.
    3. Samsung Firmware OTA (aka System Updates) will no longer work once you flashed custom binaries.
    (You can flash custom ROMs if you want to keep the OS up-to-date.)
    4. It is HIGHLY UNRECOMMENDED to purchase any access to any kind of private forums, ROMs or Kernels.(DO NOT GET FOOLED.)

Installation process:
    1. Flash Stock ROM.
    2. Flash recovery using Odin (AP = recovery.tar).
    3. Load recovery immediately after flashing.
    4. Format data (Will erase /data partition).
    5. Reboot to recovery.
    6. ADB push SuperSU to internal storage / insert SD-Card with SuperSU.zip.
    7. Flash SuperSU using TWRP install option.
    8. Reboot to system (May bootloop several times. Wait untill system loads).

Bugs:
    1. ADB sometimes doesn't work in MTP mode. Need to manually change to PTP in order to get adb usage.
    2. Bad label in ADB shell + bad characters appearing while writing through AD. Works well out of recovery and on recovery's terminal.

Sources:
    Device tree - Device tree
    Kernel - Kernel
    TWRP sources - platform_manifest_twrp_omni
    SuperSU - SuperSU-2.82-SR5

Recovery download:
    Recovery

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.0
    Stable Release Date: 08/19/2018 (DD/MM/YYYY)

Contributors:
    Many thanks to TWRP's developers for the support on building this recovery.
    Special thanks to CaptainThrowback, Bigbiff and Dees_Troy on TWRP-freenode and Ashyx on xda-developers.

Please post any bugs you encounter. I will try to fix any issues that come up.