[RECOVERY] [TWRP - V3.2.3-1 For H870, H872, US997] [unofficial]

Search This thread

runningnak3d

Recognized Developer
Nov 10, 2010
Largo
TWRP Recovery

This thread, and all current work were @Eliminater74's. He has moved on, so I am going to pick up where he left off. He will be missed in the LG community.

Downloads:

TWRP Version: 3.2.3-1:

Updated:
Replaced compressed kernel, so boot times are much lower.

Verified not working:
Clock

Verified Working,
Flashing ZIP/IMAGES

Needs Testing:
encryption
Wipe LG Lockscreen
kdzwriter (imported: said to possibly work for g6 and v30)

I am sure many more things.. Just give me time to work on it all..

XDA:DevDB Information
[RECOVERY] [TWRP - V3.2.3-1 For H870, H872, US997] [unofficial], ROM for the LG G6

Contributors
runningnak3d, Eliminater74
Source Code: https://github.com/runningnak3d/android_bootable_recovery

ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 3.2.3-1

Created 2019-02-13
Last Updated 2019-02-13

runningnak3d

Recognized Developer
Nov 10, 2010
Largo
Note: You must flash the 'IMG' File to install recovery, then reboot into recovery.

I want to give a huge thanks to: @zefie for much code and custom changes he made to TWRP that allowed me to use:

@zefie, Since much of your code was a huge mess, I picked out only a few things, Like the LG lockscreen wipe.........
Most of the rest I used Omni's gerrit and added in things..

as for device tree, I used yours as a ref, then updated to see what fits.. I managed to get TIME to work on AOSP/LOS not sure how well on stock..
but im next to sure it will.......

I added kdzwriter for peepz that wanna flash parts of kdz file to device.. but even know I was told that it should work for the G6 and V30, it still gives me a error on the kdz files when it test to see if its
compatible with device, which it is.. guess from looking at the code it analyzes your current GPT on your device and matches it to the one in KDZ, if no match it wont allow you to write anything..
so I emailed author and waiting to see if I get a response back one day..........

Last edited:

Eliminater74

Recognized Developer
1st haha

---------- Post added at 03:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 AM ----------

What's the kdz writer do?

plug her in or drop to a terminal and type kdzwriter
it will give you clear instructions........

I think it needs updating to allow for G6 and v30, and I already emailed the author on that............

Reactions: discomega

jimbomodder

when I re compile my kernels, I will remove that compile for size setting. cause that is why it takes so long to boot...... its gota de compress the kernel image...
Good good, it makes you think it's failed haha

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Also noticed vendor partition no longer shows up in mount settings

Eliminater74

Recognized Developer
Good good, it makes you think it's failed haha

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Also noticed vendor partition no longer shows up in mount settings

There is no vendor partition yet, at least not with my AEX ROM and device tree that I use...
the only vendor is system/vendor and /vendor that symlinks to system/vendor .................

vendor partition is for Treble devices which we are not yet setup for......
I was going to convert my G6 to Treble and allow for vendor partition which is like 500+ megs.. minus the same amount from system.........

But till that project is verified to work, I have yet to do it..........

Eliminater74

Recognized Developer
Building another Update Recovery Package: Trying a few new things to see if I can get all to work like it should.

Vendor was added to backups for the ones that have 'VENDOR' partition, Its marked as removable so that peepz without it dont get errors:
misc is added to backup, so you dont lose your network mac stuff.....
data can also be backed up in whole with internal Storage added
laf partition can now also be backed up, Just in case peepz.................

At some point I will be removing the extra_sd partition section.. I see no need for it.. and its just a waste.. unless others can tell me otherwise..
it was only a good idea back when MultiROM was a thing.. Which today its not....... and no longer updated or maintained.......

So having that is not needed................

Eliminater74

Recognized Developer
TWRP Update:
V3.2.3 20180812:
Grab in Downloads:

Changes: peepz that have a separate vendor partition can now back it up and mount it:
LAF partition is now backupable......
data now has a FULL Data Image backup, which also means internal storage:

Played with a few other things too, but nothing big.. I still need everything tested by others who are willing to take the plunge..

The above changes for the partition was only fstab flags changes to make that happen..... No biggie there......
I also added un official changes to twrp recovery it self,
meaning, They are on their gerrit, but not official merged yet..........

Check out my DevG6 github page under android_bootable_recovery repo for commit history I made and added.........

zefie

Dec 30, 2007
Upstate NY
the.midnightchannel.net
@zefie, Since much of your code was a huge mess

So rude. But also so incredibly true. Haha.

Great work though. Obviously I haven't tried it since I can't, but just happy to see work still being done on it, and glad to be of some help.

Edit: That said, your way, which is probably more proper, is a mess to me. I couldn't find the fstab, so apologies if you already know this, but I also dabbled with /vendor support. Make sure you set it as removable otherwise users who do not have /vendor will get an error when backing up (even if they uncheck vendor, at least when I tried it).

Last edited:

Eliminater74

Recognized Developer
So rude. But also so incredibly true. Haha.

Great work though. Obviously I haven't tried it since I can't, but just happy to see work still being done on it, and glad to be of some help.

Edit: That said, your way, which is probably more proper, is a mess to me. I couldn't find the fstab, so apologies if you already know this, but I also dabbled with /vendor support. Make sure you set it as removable otherwise users who do not have /vendor will get an error when backing up (even if they uncheck vendor, at least when I tried it).

sorry man, Didnt mean it to sound rude, you do great work.. and everyone has their own way to do things, as im so used to doing steps by steps because I have to reuse alot of things on my projects and need everything to be separated from other things.. But in all. your work is great............

and yeah, I used your fstab and just made some changes and its marked as removable.. I seen your comment on that in the fstab.. I do like that you left many comments for people to understand your work.

I am not building a test AEX Rom with the vendor create script added.. so ill see how that pans out............

thanks again for your help and work........

Eliminater74

Recognized Developer
@zefie,

Question, How are your coding skills on twrp? Mine are not that great and I dont understand the recovery stuff as much as it seems you do,

Here is the thing, a script was made that will create a vendor partition for you. what this script does is checks to see if you have one first..
if not then it checks to see if your system in correct size, then it creates the vendor partition and resizes the system..........

and yes it can be reversed,

the script was designed for twrp originally then LOS added to lge_msm8996-common device tree, but will only work on LOS, that once you install ROM it runs that script and checks everything..

I took that script as well as the Android.mk mods that allow for building the needed tools for the script to run in twrp........

I need an option made that will have a checkbox when you install a ROM, that lets you put a check int the box to pre run the script before installing the rom...........
that way.. people can convert their devices from twrp........

the script and needed tools are already added to the TWRP, not in current one I released yesterday.. but in the one I havent released yet...

so it can be ran manually.. I had to make alot of mods to get it to build the tools and all with twrp..
biggest tool needed was sgdisk............

but if you could help me out with the coding of that option for pre installs of rom.. that would be great........
btw again, that script checks if you already have the partition and if you do, it aborts the rest of the script and goes on to installing rom..........

Let me know if you can help me out here... thanks ..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TWRP Recovery

This thread, and all current work were @Eliminater74's. He has moved on, so I am going to pick up where he left off. He will be missed in the LG community.

Downloads:

TWRP Version: 3.2.3-1:

Updated:
    Replaced compressed kernel, so boot times are much lower.

Verified not working:
    Clock

Verified Working,
    Flashing ZIP/IMAGES

Needs Testing:
    encryption
    Wipe LG Lockscreen
    kdzwriter (imported: said to possibly work for g6 and v30)

I am sure many more things.. Just give me time to work on it all..

XDA:DevDB Information
    [RECOVERY] [TWRP - V3.2.3-1 For H870, H872, US997] [unofficial], ROM for the LG G6

Contributors
    runningnak3d, Eliminater74
    Source Code: https://github.com/runningnak3d/android_bootable_recovery

ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 3.2.3-1

Created 2019-02-13
    Last Updated 2019-02-13
    TWRP Update:
    V3.2.3 20180812:
    Grab in Downloads:

Changes: peepz that have a separate vendor partition can now back it up and mount it:
    LAF partition is now backupable......
    data now has a FULL Data Image backup, which also means internal storage:

Played with a few other things too, but nothing big.. I still need everything tested by others who are willing to take the plunge..

The above changes for the partition was only fstab flags changes to make that happen..... No biggie there......
    I also added un official changes to twrp recovery it self,
    meaning, They are on their gerrit, but not official merged yet..........

Check out my DevG6 github page under android_bootable_recovery repo for commit history I made and added.........
    Note: You must flash the 'IMG' File to install recovery, then reboot into recovery.

I want to give a huge thanks to: @zefie for much code and custom changes he made to TWRP that allowed me to use:

@zefie, Since much of your code was a huge mess, I picked out only a few things, Like the LG lockscreen wipe.........
    Most of the rest I used Omni's gerrit and added in things..

as for device tree, I used yours as a ref, then updated to see what fits.. I managed to get TIME to work on AOSP/LOS not sure how well on stock..
    but im next to sure it will.......

I added kdzwriter for peepz that wanna flash parts of kdz file to device.. but even know I was told that it should work for the G6 and V30, it still gives me a error on the kdz files when it test to see if its
    compatible with device, which it is.. guess from looking at the code it analyzes your current GPT on your device and matches it to the one in KDZ, if no match it wont allow you to write anything..
    so I emailed author and waiting to see if I get a response back one day..........
    OK, all three models have been updated with a non-compressed kernel so the boot time is back to what you would expect. Just to be *VERY* clear, that is the only change that has been made so far.

Once I get a stable build, I will post a proper change log.

The big thing that I am working on right now is the ability to take carrier OTA updates -- as is. As in you get a notice that you have an update, and it will just apply without having to worry about someone making a new zip.

That feature will only work if you are BONE STOCK. That means you would have to temporarily disable adblock since that modifies the hosts file. The good news is that if you DO miss something, and aren't bone stock, it will just gracefully fail and you won't be stuck in a TWRP boot loop.

Also working on a few bugs fixes (clock), and making sure that decryption, lock screen wipe, and kdzwriter are working as expected.

-- Brian
    Just wanted to post that my next build of TWRP's will be using the new Stock Oreo Kernel source with some custom changes of course, cause it boots 1/4 times faster then my current or LOS ones............
    also 1 more update under Oreo then after that.. I will most likely build under PIE.................

Not sure what I will do really....... but thats the idea I have for now.......