[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] - (1/16/22) TeamWin Recovery Project [BRAMBLE]

Search This thread

javadahut

Aug 26, 2015
Had latest CalyxOS factory image loaded (bramble-factory-22302000), and I was able to boot the twrp image. When I 'Flash Current TWRP', looks like everything goes smoothly, reboot to recovery and get stuck in bootloader. "failed to load/verify boot images".

Installed GrapheneOS, used the same process, and TWRP loaded with no issues.

xxseva44

May 16, 2019
Canada
LG V20
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Is anyone having issues with accessing internal storage from their pc? I am comming from the latesT a12 release so that could be causing issues

After flashing the latetes A11 firmware, same issue.

Last edited:

Genesius01

Jul 5, 2013
Please fix the download link! Getting a message "

This site can’t be reached​

files.joshuadoes.com unexpectedly closed the connection."

Reactions: anonnow
Jun 9, 2022
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Brilliant to see that we have TWRP for a 4a 5G, that works on A11 and 12. I know that this thread is more than a year old, but is there a possibility that this could be adapted to 12.1 (12L/SDK 32), or will I need to temporarily downgrade to 12?

smokejumper76

Nov 28, 2014
Brilliant to see that we have TWRP for a 4a 5G, that works on A11 and 12. I know that this thread is more than a year old, but is there a possibility that this could be adapted to 12.1 (12L/SDK 32), or will I need to temporarily downgrade to 12?
If twrp on 12.1 on the pixel 5 (redfin) works then it would work w/ the pixel 4a5g (bramble) because they share the same kernel (redbull). If im not mistaken a straight up pixel 5 boot of twrp on a 4a5g will boot up but may miss some funtunality (touch) as there may be some build/model/option specifics for the 4a5g vs the 5. I think that's how Joshua was able to modify it further and get all the kinks out to work properly on the 4a5g.

Like you said this is an old thread. Sadly the 4a5g doesn't get as much love as it's more popular brother the Pixel 5. But you can use that to your advantage since the 4a5g and Pixel 5 are very similar and share the same kernel and hardware.

Droid9684

May 9, 2011
How would I get this to work for A13? I just bought Pixel 4a 5G recently. When I tried fastbooting twrp it wouldnt write to phone.

Reactions: ggkameleon

Kal-El7

Nov 6, 2012
If twrp on 12.1 on the pixel 5 (redfin) works then it would work w/ the pixel 4a5g (bramble) because they share the same kernel (redbull). If im not mistaken a straight up pixel 5 boot of twrp on a 4a5g will boot up but may miss some funtunality (touch) as there may be some build/model/option specifics for the 4a5g vs the 5. I think that's how Joshua was able to modify it further and get all the kinks out to work properly on the 4a5g.

Like you said this is an old thread. Sadly the 4a5g doesn't get as much love as it's more popular brother the Pixel 5. But you can use that to your advantage since the 4a5g and Pixel 5 are very similar and share the same kernel and hardware.
Has anyone confirmed this as of yet? Looking for a very stable TWRP for 4a5G. I'm sure I could just test it, but I'm trying to save me precious time if someone else can already testify about it. Thanks so much!

Kal-El7

Nov 6, 2012
Essentially copy/paste from the official TWRP for redfin thread, except I've made my own unofficial build for the Pixel 4a5G that in my own testing appears to be on feature parity with the official build for the Pixel 5! There are reports of the Pixel 5 build not working on devices with Android 12 and a PIN set at this time, so I advise against using this build if you've upgraded to Android 12 on your Pixel 4a5G and require having a PIN for your day to day.

I've decided I might as well try to maintain the device since no one else is doing so yet. I've pushed the trees I've modified to GitHub so y'all can keep track and maybe help out before I submit them for official status.

device/google/bramble: https://github.com/JoshuaDoes/twrp_device_google_bramble
device/google/redbull: https://github.com/JoshuaDoes/twrp_device_google_redbull

You can find the latest unofficial test build here: twrp-3.6.0_11-0.1-bramble.img
Boot it with `fastboot boot twrp-3.6.0_11-0.x-bramble.img`, decrypt your data if necessary, then install it permanently by navigating to `Advanced -> Flash Current TWRP`. Test by navigating to `Reboot -> Recovery` and you should reboot back into TWRP!

Changelog
11-0.1 (1/16/2022):
- Fix missing libion dependency, which appears to allow booting and installing TWRP if A12 is installed
11-0 (1/13/2022):
- Sync bramble with patches from redfin

You can find the historical builds here (but please don't use them): https://files.joshuadoes.com/TWRP/twrp-11/bramble/
Thank you for this.

Please permit me to say that the instructions are confusing at this juncture: "You can find the latest unofficial test build here: twrp-3.6.0_11-0.1-bramble.img. Boot it with `fastboot boot twrp-3.6.0_11-0.x-bramble.img`, decrypt your data if necessary, then install it permanently by navigating to `Advanced -> Flash Current TWRP`. Test by navigating to `Reboot -> Recovery` and you should reboot back into TWRP!"

May I kindly ask for explicit step-by-step? I downloaded your modified TWRP .img file onto my laptop and onto the internal storage of my Pixel 4a5G. I'm fully rooted and bootloader is unlocked and I'm on Android 11 (eleven, which I plan to stay on). No PIN is set, only swipe-to-unlock is set.

I don't know where to go from here.

Thanks so much.

Kal-El7

Nov 6, 2012
Thank you for this.

Please permit me to say that the instructions are confusing at this juncture: "You can find the latest unofficial test build here: twrp-3.6.0_11-0.1-bramble.img. Boot it with `fastboot boot twrp-3.6.0_11-0.x-bramble.img`, decrypt your data if necessary, then install it permanently by navigating to `Advanced -> Flash Current TWRP`. Test by navigating to `Reboot -> Recovery` and you should reboot back into TWRP!"

May I kindly ask for explicit step-by-step? I downloaded your modified TWRP .img file onto my laptop and onto the internal storage of my Pixel 4a5G. I'm fully rooted and bootloader is unlocked and I'm on Android 11 (eleven, which I plan to stay on). No PIN is set, only swipe-to-unlock is set.

I don't know where to go from here.

Thanks so much.
Ok, so I figured it out seconds later. I had to drop the .img file into my Platform-Tools folder and launch CMD from within that folder, as it did not work from anywhere else.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Ok, so I figured it out seconds later. I had to drop the .img file into my Platform-Tools folder and launch CMD from within that folder, as it did not work from anywhere else.
When pushing files using command line, you can also drag and drop the file you're using into the command window. So, in this case, you'd just type fastboot boot then drag and drop the TWRP.img into the window. Windows then automatically populates the file path.

Kal-El7

Nov 6, 2012
When pushing files using command line, you can also drag and drop the file you're using into the command window. So, in this case, you'd just type fastboot boot then drag and drop the TWRP.img into the window. Windows then automatically populates the file path.
Thank you. That's exactly what I had done. I love that feature of the Command Line. I will be testing out the restore of the backup. 👍

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Essentially copy/paste from the official TWRP for redfin thread, except I've made my own unofficial build for the Pixel 4a5G that in my own testing appears to be on feature parity with the official build for the Pixel 5! There are reports of the Pixel 5 build not working on devices with Android 12 and a PIN set at this time, so I advise against using this build if you've upgraded to Android 12 on your Pixel 4a5G and require having a PIN for your day to day.

I've decided I might as well try to maintain the device since no one else is doing so yet. I've pushed the trees I've modified to GitHub so y'all can keep track and maybe help out before I submit them for official status.

device/google/bramble: https://github.com/JoshuaDoes/twrp_device_google_bramble
    device/google/redbull: https://github.com/JoshuaDoes/twrp_device_google_redbull

You can find the latest unofficial test build here: twrp-3.6.0_11-0.1-bramble.img
    Boot it with `fastboot boot twrp-3.6.0_11-0.x-bramble.img`, decrypt your data if necessary, then install it permanently by navigating to `Advanced -> Flash Current TWRP`. Test by navigating to `Reboot -> Recovery` and you should reboot back into TWRP!

Changelog
    11-0.1 (1/16/2022):
    - Fix missing libion dependency, which appears to allow booting and installing TWRP if A12 is installed
    11-0 (1/13/2022):
    - Sync bramble with patches from redfin

You can find the historical builds here (but please don't use them): https://files.joshuadoes.com/TWRP/twrp-11/bramble/
    awesome. Only things I notice not there (and in no way complaining as its a WIP) is encryption option, and date seems to be stuck on 1970 and time way off despite changing time zone. But that's minor right now. The fact you got this going is no small feat. I am so glad I got a 4a5g (5/5a would have been fine too) and not a 6. You should put a donate link so we can buy you some coffee or weed or something, lol. Again great job. Feel free to hit me up if you need me to destroy my phone for you (testng). I got a dd backup, and now twrp backup so between all of that and the alfabet of partitions I should be able to restore from just about anything short of EDL crap out and I'm sure if that's not resolvable by now, it will only be a matter of time.
    Encrypting backups? I didn't realize that was missing so I'll look into it too, but yeah the date is stuck which screws with file and backup times and I def need to fix that. XDA forbids me from putting a donation link in a post, however if you go to my profile and expand the info details about me it lists my PayPal email there and I'd super appreciate it! Because lemme tell ya, it took energy drinks and some good highs to do most of my Android work and thankfully this TWRP build only took me a few hours to tear into lmao. If you got a Discord I'm most active there as well as the Pixel 4a5G/5 Telegram (I can get a link to all if you've got them), and having extra testers for some of what I wanna do would be phenomenal as well! And we're Qualcomm, there's a flash tool out there somewhere for the worst of board states ;)

Sorry for the wall of text lmao, I appreciate the kind words for sure and I'm likely gonna try maintaining this device officially for TWRP too
    Been waiting so long for this, thanks a bunch, i'm running lineageos 18.1 so i hope it will work (probably disable automatic updates flashing ?).
    Automatic OTAs will replace TWRP, so disable automatic OTAs and download them with the Updater app whenever you get a notification, then install using TWRP (/data/lineageos_updates) and check "Install TWRP after flashing" before swiping to install (or go to Advanced -> Install Current TWRP before rebooting). Easy as that!

But I may make a Magisk module to handle all this since Magisk has a survival script that works. It'd be a oneshot service that caches the latest copy of TWRP and installs it each boot, so you'd only have to deal with one update cycle that has Lineage Recovery installed.
    awesome. Only things I notice not there (and in no way complaining as its a WIP) is encryption option, and date seems to be stuck on 1970 and time way off despite changing time zone. But that's minor right now. The fact you got this going is no small feat. I am so glad I got a 4a5g (5/5a would have been fine too) and not a 6. You should put a donate link so we can buy you some coffee or weed or something, lol. Again great job. Feel free to hit me up if you need me to destroy my phone for you (testng). I got a dd backup, and now twrp backup so between all of that and the alfabet of partitions I should be able to restore from just about anything short of EDL crap out and I'm sure if that's not resolvable by now, it will only be a matter of time.
    Hello. Link is for ver. 0. Ver 0.1 returns 403 Forbidden. Can you please fix it?
    I fixed the link for v0.1!