[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL][9.0] TWRP 3.7.0 for Amlogic S922X & S905X2/3

Search This thread

whitedavidp

Jul 31, 2012
Hi and thanks for this TWRP and instructions on how to install and make permanent. I have a Minix Neo U22-XY which is based on the 922X-J SOC. Any idea how/if this will work?

Thanks

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
Honestly, it's hard to tell without the device. If nothing else, you could probably build one pretty easily from the device tree I've posted. Just grab a prebuilt kernel and dtb from the latest OEM firmware.

whitedavidp

Jul 31, 2012
Honestly, it's hard to tell without the device. If nothing else, you could probably build one pretty easily from the device tree I've posted. Just grab a prebuilt kernel and dtb from the latest OEM firmware.
Thanks alot.

I found someone posting a supposedly working TWRP recovery.img file from here on the Minix forum for the U22. I have not yet tested since my U22 is only to be delivered today! But one thing I am wondering about is if the permanent installation techniques described in the first post in this thread under the headings "From OEM update app" and "From OEM stock firmware (with root)" are likely to work with that .img file? And what, if any, side effects might be in doing this such as:

* Prevent future installs of stock firmware when new releases come out?
* Prevent booting into recovery mode using the reset button/power combo?

etc.

Thanks

whitedavidp

Jul 31, 2012
Well, I have tried all sorts of techniques to get the Minix U22 twrp to install permanently into recovery. But every time, after I have finished the procedure, when I try to reboot recovery I end up in stock recovery mode. It is as if the flashing or dd'ing, etc is not "sticking". Anyone have any suggestions as to why this is and how to get this done? Thanks!

Rat Pak

Jul 16, 2017
whitedavid: [B]into recovery. But every time, after I have finished the procedure, when I try to reboot recovery I end up in stock recovery mode. It is as if the flashing or dd'ing, etc is not "sticking". Anyone have any suggestions as to why this is and how to get this done? Thanks![/B]

~ Haven't a clue, D. White 'privilege' revocation?
I hear it's all the 'rage', these days? Not sure what W. P. is exactly,
hadn't seen it either,... supposedly it's dangerously bad 🤔
That's best I can do for wtty, anymore. Sorry if in poor taste, pc void,
with touch of smartArse sprinkles. I used to possess the wit. 😔
Back to cases, let me relay jan '21 Ugoos Dev changes.
I'd say the two are true "competing brands".
For 13 months, from fw ver? 1.01 thru jan 3.8.x ...maybe 7 upgrades- I learned to copy stk recovery, I thought I would remove it, yet now thinking I don't recall extracting process. So now I'm pretty any updates just wrote over TWRP, or I May have just swaped back in stkRec tho. Then reflashed TWR No worries.
Late jan rolls 3.9.1, on the heels of two prior upgrands. Being behind, i read the changelog, but not release added notes. I lose TWP, box is so rock solid, and runs great... After a couple of fails, I just put off the TWP flash, running as is, using Titanium Bk-up for System, but mostly apps. I have Not been successful restoring full
Apps, settings, and android with Titan. Not sure why either. Probably several more hours of reading. It can't see the os, so No Bkup either.
AN Excellent maintenance tool tho.
To shorten a long story in runaway.. Here comes v. 4.0 with major revamps,
similar to 3.9.1. Get TWP to install, no matter what. Between the release notation (not commonly incl), and freaktab.co... I find 3.9 was the start of Encrypted SW. Also last sw that will rollback. Even worse just to 3.7 skipping 3.8 (!? Incremental?). Now It's
Imperitive to load TWRP, IT HAS saved my total collapse more than once. No such luck looking thru OS Files for SU removal to aid per majisk I see TWO Recovery files. I look in multiple OS Files after profile request sez 0 data. I guess that's the encryption? They're All empty, absolutely unchangeable, content, name, loction.. Zero, zilch.
OKAY, Moving on to updarer script(s)... I guess devs are familiar, but shocked me-
Considerably more complex than before. They Appear to be done in 3 stages, each circle back touching on the recovery file- reason for multiple recovery files within the system data? Methinks yes.
I won't be doing a script change. UGOOS support sez they've run TWP, as yet won't condemn the app, nor give up their scripts, or process instruct. But say they normally work bigger issues, having emergency quaalifiers. She WAS kind enough to refer me here to MagMan's work, because the "project" is slacking for STB help ChadM has made Every TWRP I've run for 3.5yrs now (1 reason for extra backstory), hoping
he'll look herein. The guy is freakishly busy tho, and gives these forums, and their volunteer victims Soo much already. I sure am thankful... He's crazy. ;- )
... Ugoos's "Becky" also referred me to Freektab.Co - where I have been consistently for about 4yrs. Somehow, I will getter done. Have to! I'd love to follow ugoos rolling improvements, but with anti-rollback AND encryption (plus, I think I picked up a bug) I've got to dump a couple of updates, and stand. Or move Fwd with this outstanding device, and the talented vision that's driven it. ...BUT, w/o my dependable TWP, I'm seriously Risking- a catastrophic box-killer incident...
Probably over due as is, with no pc and even less USB-flash skills.

My advise is looking carefully at your system files, search, bin, xbin, +?? For 2
or more recovery file with slightly differing names. Compare recent install scripts
and said files, as well as, default permission/ perameters to a few historical ones when you recall having an easier time getting twrp 'nailed' in.
look at your recovery log also.
I'm Pretty sure your "WHY" will become, fairly obvious then.
LUCK 2U & All ! ~jd

mag16

Jan 4, 2016
Hi All
Not sure if this is the right thread, but anyway.
I've got a X96Max+ A100 tv-box with S905X3 chip. Have installed Official TWRP App and downloaded with it the TWRP img that should fit my device. It is the file named twrp-3.6.0_9-0-u212.img. Then I enter the recovery with a temp TWRP version, named TWRP_AML_ViT_3.3.1_2020 and try to install the u212 image, but the installer returns the error that the image is too big and won't fit in memory.
Any suggestions, please? Shall I follow a set of certain steps in order to install TWRP on my device?
Will highly appreciate a help in this matter.
Thanks

forkup

Nov 6, 2009
I have a BuzzTV xrs4900 with the S922X chip. Any chance of root and twrp for it?

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
Reactions: mAtvXk and kalehrl

whitedavidp

Jul 31, 2012
I have a Minix Neo U22XJ and have been using a TWRP I found somewhere long ago. Any idea:

1. If this will be the right thing for that box?

2. The TWRP I have now can only be run from an SD card and only when pressing/holding the reset button. I would much prefer one that replaces the stock recovery. I have tried many times and many approaches to do this but all have failed leaving me with stock recovery only. Any idea if this one can be installed to replace stock recovery?

3. I would like to be using OpenRecoveryScript to automate backups. Any idea if/how this is working in this TWRP?

Thanks!

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
I have a Minix Neo U22XJ and have been using a TWRP I found somewhere long ago. Any idea:

1. If this will be the right thing for that box?
I haven't tested with that specific hardware, but I suspect it's also based on the Amlogic w400 reference board, so the odds are good. Some of the "official" Amlogic TWRP releases are also based on my device trees, as this development community is pretty small.
2. The TWRP I have now can only be run from an SD card and only when pressing/holding the reset button. I would much prefer one that replaces the stock recovery. I have tried many times and many approaches to do this but all have failed leaving me with stock recovery only. Any idea if this one can be installed to replace stock recovery?
Some OEM firmware have a stock recovery auto-restoration "feature" that will immediately replace TWRP after you reboot to system. The easiest workaround is simply to reboot to recovery immediately after the flash by holding the reset button. For some reason on the Beelink ROMs that tends to "stick" when letting it reboot to system doesn't. You can also try renaming /system/recovery-from-boot.p, and the convention is to just append a tilde (~).

Some ROMs might not use the Amlogic test keys, which I've got to use to sign the OTA update. In that case, you can try flashing the .img file directly using the dd command (documented in the OP). You'll need root access to do that, though.

3. I would like to be using OpenRecoveryScript to automate backups. Any idea if/how this is working in this TWRP?
Most of the problems I've seen with OpenRecoveryScript support has been on Rockchip SoCs, primarily because they mess with the offset to the bootloader message block in the /misc partition. Amlogic is usually fine.

dj_apo

Feb 21, 2020
Can someone please assist with how to root the U211 devices? TWRP works great, SuperSu 2.82 installs successfully via TWRP but when the system boots, it's still not rooted.

Any help is greatly appreciated here
I have same issues at mine "beelink gt1 mini". Would anyone give us a hand?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    twrp-featured.jpg

Notes:
    • These are built with kernels from the latest Beelink GT-King (Amlogic S922X w/ w400 reference board) and Beelink GT1mini (Amlogic S905X2 w/ u212 reference board) firmware, but will probably work on any device based on the same reference boards.
    • The signed .ZIP files are suitable for installation with stock OEM recovery, but they use platform test keys and so might not work on builds requiring release keys.
    • If your device uses Android Verified Boot, there are additional measures you must take to successfully boot with a custom recovery partition.
    • Some OEM firmware have a stock recovery auto-restoration "feature" that will immediately replace TWRP after you reboot to system. The easiest workaround is simply to reboot to recovery immediately after the flash by holding the reset button. You can also try renaming /system/recovery-from-boot.p.
    • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't flash the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
    • MTP & ADB

Downloads:
    S922X (Amlogic w400 reference board):
    S905X2 & S905X3 (Amlogic u212 reference board):

Change Log:
    v3.7.0-0: (20221204)
    v3.3.1-0: (20191111)
    • Switched from KM9 to GT1mini kernel
    v3.2.3-0: (20190929)
    • Initial release

Instructions:
    From OEM update app:
    • Copy .ZIP file to flash drive or microSD card
    • Open the UPDATE app and select Local Update
    • Select the .ZIP file and confirm
    • Note: No need to wipe data or cache
    From OEM stock firmware (with root):
    • Open terminal window (e.g. Terminal Emulator for Android by Jack Palevich)
    • Navigate to location of .IMG file
    • Type the following:
      Code:
      su
      dd if=twrp.img of=/dev/block/recovery
      reboot recovery
    From existing TWRP install:
    • Copy .IMG file to flash drive or microSD card
    • Click Install->Select Storage and pick the external drive
    • Click Install Image and select the .IMG file
    • Select Recovery partition and swipe to install
    • Reboot to Recovery

Source:

Donations:
    • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
    New build was just posted. Expect an AOSP TWRP-11 release for S905X3 and S905X4 with dynamic partition support soon.

Downloads:
    S922X (Amlogic w400 reference board):

S905X2 & S905X3 (Amlogic u212 reference board):

Change Log:
    v3.7.0-0:
    (20221204)
    thanks for all your work @Magendanz
    Thank You TWRP work well
    I have same issues at mine "beelink gt1 mini". Would anyone give us a hand?
    This doesn't work?