• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY] Unofficial CWM Recovery for Moto X -- Unlocked Bootloader Only!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

mattlgroff

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
Code:
#include <external/cyanogenmod/std_disclaimer.h>
/*
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

-----------------------
PLEASE USE THE NEW RECOVERIES BY DHACKER29 THIS IS DISCONTINUED
CWM
TWRP

Discontinued - Downloads and Links:
Unofficial CWM Recovery 6.0.3.6 for Moto X --- 8/25/2013 WORKING!
Mirror^

Superuser by Koush -- If you want to root.
SuperSu by Chainfire -- If you want to have root. Pick this one, or the one above. Not both.
Stock Motorola Recovery for Moto X --- If you want to return to stock, or take OTA's.
Motorola Fastboot Files --- Windows/Mac/Linux
Motorola USB Drivers 6.2 [Windows 32/64]

Thanks to:
Google for Android.
Koush for CWM.
Jackpot Calvin for Ramdisk fix.
rob43 for pointing out Fstab error.
hidea for testing over XDA and Skype.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 2,407
Last edited:

gabo_e30

Jan 30, 2012
Hey Matt,
Nice to see you again.!

So how do u unlock the bootloader? Is it as simple as a nexus 4 or like the Atrix HD?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

jmill75

Dec 25, 2009
Ohio
I don't understand what there is to test since you already said it doesn't work. Perhaps you should change the OP so it's a bit more clear of your intentions.

Did you not see the large work in progress header? As he said this is for anyone to work or test on. Did you come here to help or complain?

Obviously you do not know who he is. Great to see this is being worked on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: wildland

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
I don't understand what there is to test since you already said it doesn't work. Perhaps you should change the OP so it's a bit more clear of your intentions.

I posted this before it was tested. Now its been edited.

I'll be posting my test branches in github and will link in this thread. Anyone willing to contribute is more than welcome.

So far the normal methods for booting CWM are not doing so well on the Moto X. Might require something proprietary.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

EDIT: Added the Github to the OP.

Last edited:

ludeboy

Mar 12, 2007
I posted this before it was tested. Now its been edited.

I'll be posting my test branches in github and will link in this thread. Anyone willing to contribute is more than welcome.

So far the normal methods for booting CWM are not doing so well on the Moto X. Might require something proprietary.

EDIT: Added the Github to the OP.

Thank you very much. When I saw this thread it looked like you had already tested it. It was confusing when it said "tested. does not boot." so I tried it out to test it. I'm all for development but I was misled in your original post so thank you for editing it.

---------- Post added at 05:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 AM ----------

Please don't misunderstand me. As a person that donates, I do appreciate all developers and I will open my wallet for my appreciation. I just don't want anyone to be mislead and blame you for any wrong-doings. If you need a tester, don't hesitate to hit me up! There aren't many of us (yet).

matt99017d

Nov 17, 2011
Camas WA
Thank you very much. When I saw this thread it looked like you had already tested it. It was confusing when it said "tested. does not boot." so I tried it out to test it. I'm all for development but I was misled in your original post so thank you for editing it.

---------- Post added at 05:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 AM ----------

Please don't misunderstand me. As a person that donates, I do appreciate all developers and I will open my wallet for my appreciation. I just don't want anyone to be mislead and blame you for any wrong-doings. If you need a tester, don't hesitate to hit me up! There aren't many of us (yet).

I'll be willing..... Permitting we can find a work around for att.... If something happens I have insurance and my AHD_MAXX as a backup.

Sent from my MB886 using xda premium

mk1151

Apr 19, 2011
New York Area
Let's get Custom Recovery working on the unlocked Moto X!

Currently all my Recovery experience is minimal, and the basics are not working for the Moto X. Tried with CWM Builder too as a backup, and no dice even booting to a blank screen with adb. Nada.

Please leave any bugs or feedback you may get here.

mattlgroff - great to see you working on the moto X

There are many that are less concerned with bootloader than they are with root (myself included). I know you're working off a Verizon flavor, I'm on AT&T - what do you think the chances are of getting root without cracking the bootloader open?
I did a few searches and haven't seen anything come up.

Thanks again for your hard work.

JackpotClavin

Feb 27, 2011
New York
Possible fix

Hey, I don't have a Motorola X, but I do have a Motorola Droid Razr M and I've been experimenting with getting the Moto X sbfs to boot on my Razr M, (which I have), but I ran into issues with the devtree loading up the touch firmware, so I'll have to wait for kernel source.

However, I did fool around with the boot images for the Motorola X and realized that the ramdisk offset isn't set in your BoardConfig.mk

Try adding:

BOARD_MKBOOTIMG_ARGS := --ramdisk_offset 0x02200000

And rebuild

Last edited:

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
Hey, I don't have a Motorola X, but I do have a Motorola Droid Razr M and I've been experimenting with getting the Moto X sbfs to boot on my Razr M, (which I have), but I ran into issues with the devtree loading up the touch firmware, so I'll have to wait for kernel source.

However, I did fool around with the boot images for the Motorola X and realized that the ramdisk offset isn't set in your BoardConfig.mk

Try adding:

BOARD_MKBOOTIMG_ARGS := --ramdisk_offset 0x02200000

And rebuild

Thanks, I'll have to give it a shot! Added to the github.

Also, the DROID Ultra kernel source is out, might be of some help.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultra.motorola/files/XT1080-XT1030/

EDIT: Updated OP with new build of CWM to try out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    #include <external/cyanogenmod/std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

-----------------------
    PLEASE USE THE NEW RECOVERIES BY DHACKER29 THIS IS DISCONTINUED
    CWM
    TWRP

Discontinued - Downloads and Links:
    Unofficial CWM Recovery 6.0.3.6 for Moto X --- 8/25/2013 WORKING!
    Mirror^

Superuser by Koush -- If you want to root.
    SuperSu by Chainfire -- If you want to have root. Pick this one, or the one above. Not both.
    Stock Motorola Recovery for Moto X --- If you want to return to stock, or take OTA's.
    Motorola Fastboot Files --- Windows/Mac/Linux
    Motorola USB Drivers 6.2 [Windows 32/64]

Thanks to:
    Google for Android.
    Koush for CWM.
    Jackpot Calvin for Ramdisk fix.
    rob43 for pointing out Fstab error.
    hidea for testing over XDA and Skype.
    Hey Matt,
    Nice to see you again.!

So how do u unlock the bootloader? Is it as simple as a nexus 4 or like the Atrix HD?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

It's done with the Official Motorola Unlock Tool on their website. You enter the 'get_unlock_data' and get a code emailed to you.

Did you not see the large work in progress header? As he said this is for anyone to work or test on. Did you come here to help or complain?

Obviously you do not know who he is. Great to see this is being worked on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Booted on my Droid Razr M, so it should boot on everybody's Moto X/Ultra/Maxx devices as well. The recovery fstab is borked though on the build in the OP. I'll pull one off the stock recovery and pastebin it here in a sec

http://pastebin.com/9YDxeTgF

I just added /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/ in front of the device name so instead of it saying just boot, it says /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot

That's what it should look like for a recovery built with CM10.1 (Android 4.2) sources
    I just unlocked my Bootloader. Rooted the phone.

If it's not *too* dangerous, I'm willing to try this!

You can flash back the stock recovery.IMG if it fails :)

http://batakang.com/ftp/recovery/ghost/stockrecovery.img