[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] OrangeFox Recovery Project [OnePlus 8t / 9r] [25-Sep-2022]

Search This thread

Aelliaria

Jul 14, 2016
Eindhoven
Yes you can update the Firmware from the Firmware thread and that will get flashed to both slots, but I think there it is for Android 12 the C11 one, but there is already a C21 one existing now but not uploaded as flashable firmware yet.
I Have build my own flashable Firmware file for the A12 C20 Firmware for my Oneplus 8t but have not flashed it yet as I am still on OOS11 Base right now.
Will switch to OOS12 Base soon as the next Update for my custom ROM will need that.
You have EU or Global? And mind sharing 😉

Thnx in advance

Skilstriker

Oct 15, 2014
Things have changed since i last flashed a custom recovery... Getting a bit overwhelmed.. can anyone guide me how do i properly flash this.. im on stock oos12 c17 build with locked a bootloader.. kudos to the devs for all the work.

Reactions: Wishmasterflo

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
OnePlus 8T
Things have changed since i last flashed a custom recovery... Getting a bit overwhelmed.. can anyone guide me how do i properly flash this.. im on stock oos12 c17 build with locked a bootloader.. kudos to the devs for all the work.
Hello!
You can fastboot boot the .img file to boot Orangefox.

Please do not fastboot flash it right nw as that is not working correctly at the moment.
I am on it and just doing a new build and see if that issue get fixed then.

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
OnePlus 8T
I ran the command to flash this, got a fastboot error
Sending 'boot.img' (102400 KB) OKAY [ 3.093s] Booting FAILED (Status read failed (Too many links)) fastboot: error: Command failed
And now I'm in Qualcom CrashDump Mode, which is pretty pretty bad...
What do I do?
Hello!

I have just uploaded a new V3 beta of my OrangeFox recovery.
If you have time and dont mind you could check again if flashing it will work now when you are on OOS12 on both slots.
As I am not on OOS12 Firmware right now I could not test it.

Download link to the new V3 beta is updated in the OP.

Thanks!

Reactions: dahawthorne

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
OnePlus 8T
@Wishmasterflo not sure if you're the one I bring it up to, but I noticed in the theming the splash screen does not work when you change it to different colors there is an error message though. That's the only thing I've found wrong so far
Hi!
I have just uploaded a new V3 beta, can you check if this is working now for you?
I did not get any error message when trying that.

Download link to new V3 beta is updated in the OP.

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
OnePlus 8T
Hi all! :)

I have uploaded a new V3 beta of Orangefox.
The download link is updated in the OP.

This hopefully fixes that fastboot flash recovery when on OOS12 Firmware is working correctly now.
As I am still on OOS11 Firmware I could not test to flash it now therfor I have stated this new Version as beta as of now.

Changelog
R12.1 V3 beta 29-July-2022
- Minor fixes and changes
- Updated OOS12 Kernel

dahawthorne

Nov 15, 2014
Brighton
Alas, not for me. I'm on Android 12.1 crDroid 8.7, OP 8T. I flashed v3 and got the same black screen. Again, no problem, as volume up + power boots me back into system.
I'm not sure if your permanent flash works only on stock OOS? If so, it would be limiting, given that many of your "customers" :) are here because they like different ROMs.
Is it maybe something that I'm misunderstanding about the A/B partition setup? There is only one recovery partition, right? So I can't be inadvertently flashing to a wrong recovery slot?
Once again, thanks for all your work.

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
OnePlus 8T
Alas, not for me. I'm on Android 12.1 crDroid 8.7, OP 8T. I flashed v3 and got the same black screen. Again, no problem, as volume up + power boots me back into system.
I'm not sure if your permanent flash works only on stock OOS? If so, it would be limiting, given that many of your "customers" :) are here because they like different ROMs.
Is it maybe something that I'm misunderstanding about the A/B partition setup? There is only one recovery partition, right? So I can't be inadvertently flashing to a wrong recovery slot?
Once again, thanks for all your work.
OK but as base before you flashed crCroid did you had OOS12 or OOS11 installed.
fastboot flash the Orangefox only works if you are on OOS12 as Base firmware right now.
Otherwise you can only fastboot boot it now.

I guess crdroid 12.1 is still on OOS11 as base therefor that is not working now to flash the recovery.

dahawthorne

Nov 15, 2014
Brighton
Yes, I clean-flashed crDroid 12 over OOS 11.
No big deal for me, as your recovery works excellently just on temporary boot. The backup image is what I really wanted, and that works fine.

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
OnePlus 8T
Yes, I clean-flashed crDroid 12 over OOS 11.
No big deal for me, as your recovery works excellently just on temporary boot. The backup image is what I really wanted, and that works fine.
ok got it.
So then that is the reason that flashing it is not working right now as that needs OOS12 as base.
I guess most of the custom ROMs will get updated to OOS12 Base Firmware in the next weeks.

I am on Project Zephyrus 12.1 based on OOS11 Firmware now and the next update of it will be OOS11 Firmware based.

Aelliaria

Jul 14, 2016
Eindhoven
Seriously? Did you not read my post directly before yours?
Sorry, didn't mean to be rude, but it's important to read all the info before you get into difficulties. We all want to help, but you have to do your research before acting or posting.
I did read your post, but when I started flashing there was nothing that said anything about black screen etc. and it had taken a couple of hours after I flashed before I turned back to XDA to message about it I only did not saw your edit when I was posting. So your message is a bit unnecessary.

parag0n1986

May 3, 2015
LG V20
OnePlus 7 Pro
You have EU or Global? And mind sharing 😉

Thnx in advance

Hi!
I have just uploaded a new V3 beta, can you check if this is working now for you?
I did not get any error message when trying that.

Download link to new V3 beta is updated in the OP.
I will definitely test it out. I just recently used the fastbootd to downgrade to OOS 11 firmware again. I was on OOS12 firmware on nameless ROM. Will this still work I am running spark right now it's a decrypted ROM. I know I can't test decryption that way obviously, but is it still flashable in the recovery with OOS 11 firmware and everything should work still? If you need me to reflash the OOS 12 firmware again I will gladly do that to help test for you for all the work you have already done to make these builds

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
OnePlus 8T
I will definitely test it out. I just recently used the fastbootd to downgrade to OOS 11 firmware again. I was on OOS12 firmware on nameless ROM. Will this still work I am running spark right now it's a decrypted ROM. I know I can't test decryption that way obviously, but is it still flashable in the recovery with OOS 11 firmware and everything should work still? If you need me to reflash the OOS 12 firmware again I will gladly do that to help test for you for all the work you have already done to make these builds
If you just fastboot boot orangefox you can decrypt your Android 12 custom ROM and flash the OOS firmware. That should work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New OrangeFox Update is out and updated in the OP with the latest fox_12.1 changes. :)
    New OrangeFox Update is out and updated in the OP with the latest fox_11.0 and fox_12.1 changes.
    Updated Orangefox :)

Changelog
    R12.1 V9 25-Sep-2022
    - Synced with latest fox_12.1 changes
    - Updated to OOS12 c33 Kernel
    Also take a look at this from TWRP.
    The same would apply to Orangefox I guess.
    I indeed was looking for that, since you pinned it in the OP :D. However one reply above can make sense, to first boot clean ROM, and THEN restore. And in the meantime I'm relpying to this, I am indeed doing that. Will report how it went.
    Also take a look at this from TWRP.
    The same would apply to Orangefox I guess.
    Ok, now everything works! :D It was just my mistakes, the recovery fully works like a charm! Flashing everything, backing up, restoring, USB OTG works too! You are amazing sir! Very well done!
    Also thank you @dahawthorne for mentioning OrangeFox wiki!

I followed this OrangeFox wiki backup/restore guide, if someone asked.
    TL;DR
    Flashed Nameless zip, booted it, formatted data (though, I didn't need too, according to OrangeFox wiki, because that wasn't encrypted), rebooted to OrangeFox, restored Data, Boot, DTBO. Lastly, need to reboot system twice (first boot is kinda glitchy, second fixes everything).
    OrangeFox Recovery Project

logo.jpg

Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * We're not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
    */

OrangeFox Recovery for the Oneplus 8t/9r
    Download (for Android 12.x, 13 ROMs) (OOS12 Based)
    Download (for Android 11 and below) (OOS11 Based) (OP8T only)

Boot it with: fastboot boot OrangeFox-R12.1-Unofficial-OnePlus8T-V9.img
    or flash it directly with: fastboot flash recovery OrangeFox-R12.1-Unofficial-OnePlus8T-V9.img
    You can also adb sideload the zip file from any other recoverya and flashing it from a Kernel Manager should work as well

Orangefox R12.1 can only be flashed to the recovery partition if you have OOS12 Firmware, but you can still boot it with fastboot boot if you are on OOS11 Firmware and need to decrypt data on Android 12 or Android 13 ROMs.
    For Android 11 and lower ROMs please use Orangefox 11 from
    here.

Take a look at this Post from TWRP in regards of Backup and Restore or
    here from the Orangefox wiki.

The fox_12.1 Version can as well be used when on OOS11 Firmware, but only when booting it with fastboot boot, dont flash it to the recovery partition if you are on OOS11 Firmware!!
    That will end up in Qualcomm Crashdump mode otherwise!
    Some things like USB OTG etc are not working when using fox_12.1 on OOS11 Firmware!

Keep in mind! Never flash a recovery file if you are not on the same OOS Firmware as the recovery is for, otherwise you will end up in Qualcomm Crashdump mode or just a black screen.
    Always just do a fastboot boot recovery.img until you are on the same OOS Firmware on your phone as the recovery is for, only then you can flash it with fastboot flash recovery as well!

It seems that the Firmware downgrade from OOS12 to OOS11 is not working on phones with DDR5 RAM, so please dont use the downgrade from OOS12 to OOS11 when you have DDR5 RAM !!!!!

From OOS11 Firmware to OOS12 Firmware ROM
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Check DDR RAM type (from Windows cmd)
    adb shell getprop ro.boot.ddr_type
    0 - represents your device is LPDDR4X (use DDR0 Firmware file)
    1 - represents your device is LPDDR5 (use DDR1 Firmware file)

or from Terminal on your phone
    getprop ro.boot.ddr_type

When you are on OOS12 use this from the Orangefox Terminal:
    cat /proc/devinfo/ddr_type

Download latest Orangefox 12.1 img file from here
    Download OOS12 flashable Firmware for your phone from here or, Oneplus 8t, Oneplus 9r
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot boot OrangeFox_R12.1-xx.img
    adb sideload fw_Oneplus8T_EU_c21_DDR0.zip
    adb rebooot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery OrangeFox_R12.1-xx.img
    fastboot reboot recovery
    Apply Update - apply via ADB
    adb sideload ROM.zip
    Factory reset/Format Data
    Reboot System

From OOS12 Firmware to OOS11 Firmware ROM
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Please only use this right now when you have DDR4 RAM in your phone!
    (seems that phones with DDR5 RAM get issues after flashing the OOS11 Firmware)

getprop ro.boot.ddr_type

Download OOS11 flashable Firmware for your phone from here or, Oneplus 8t, Oneplus 9r
    Download Recovery_OOS11_FW_Android12_decryption.img from here
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot boot Orangefox R12.1 recovery
    flash OOS11.0.13.13 Firmware
    flash ROM.zip
    reboot to bootloader
    fastboot boot Recovery_OOS11_FW_Android12_decryption.img
    Reboot System

ROM Flashing instructions:
    (take a look at the Spoiler above if you need to switch OOS Firmware Base for your ROM)
    -Flash ROM
    -Flash OrangeFox
    -Reboot to recovery (to switch slot)
    -Flash (Nik)Gapps (if needed)
    -Flash Magisk
    -Format data
    -Reboot to system

If you get a Bootloop after flashing a ROM and having done a Format Data do the below:

Boot to bootloader and:
    - fastboot devices
    - fastboot -w
    - fastboot reboot

Source Code: https://gitlab.com/OrangeFox
    Device Tree (A12): https://github.com/Wishmasterflo/twrp_device_oneplus_lemonades
    Device Tree Kebab (A11):
    https://github.com/Wishmasterflo/android_device_oneplus_kebab
    Wiki/FAQ: https://wiki.orangefox.tech/en/guides
    older Versions of OrangeFox R11.1:
    download

OrangeFox Version: R12.1
    Version: V9
    Last Updated: 25-Sep-2022

Changelog
    R12.1 V9 25-Sep-2022
    - Synced with latest fox_12.1 changes
    - Updated to OOS12 c33 Kernel

R11.1 V12 02-Sep-2022
    - Synced with latest OrangeFox R11.1 changes for Oneplus 8t

old Changelogs

Credits
    * ApexLegend007 for Android 12.1 device Tree
    * The-Incognito for Recovery Trees of Oneplus 8T
    * YumeMichi For Implementing Erofs and Other Misc
    * bigbiff for decryption
    * Pranav Talmale for decryption
    * Systemad for original tree
    * CaptainThrowback for original tree
    * mauronofrio for original tree
    * BillGoss for Backup and Restore
    * Qnorsten for OOS fix
    * TWRP team
    * OrangeFox team
    Hi!

I uploaded a new Version with the latest OrangeFox R11.1 changes

R11.1 V9 01-June-2022
    - Synced with latest OrangeFox R11.1 changes

FYI

I see that the Orangefox Team is still working on the new Version R12.1 which will support Android 12 but that Version is not ready to build it yet as it still seems to have many bugs and issues.
    As soon they fully release it I will build it for our Oneplus 8t.

Stay tuned!
    Good news. 😊

Orangefox R12.1 got released now.
    During the next week I can try to build it for the Oneplus 8t.
    Hi all!

I have updated the OP now with a Spoiler and flashing Instructions when switching from OOS11 Base Firmware to OOS12 Base Firmware or from OOS12 Base Firmware to OOS11 Base Firmware and download links for both Oneplus 8t and Oneplus 9r :)

Keep in mind! Never flash a recovery file if you are not on the same OOS Firmware as the recovery is for, otherwise you will end up in Qualcomm Crashdump mode or just a black screen.
    Always just do a fastboot boot recovery.img until you are on the same OOS Firmware on your phone as the recovery is for, only then you can flash it with fastboot flash recovery as well!

EDIT: It seems that the Firmware downgrade from OOS12 to OOS11 is not working on phones with DDR5 RAM, so please dont use the downgrade from OOS12 to OOS11 when you have DDR5 RAM !!!!!

From OOS11 Firmware to OOS12 Firmware ROM
    --------------------------------------------------------
    getprop ro.boot.ddr_type
    Download OOS12 flashable Firmware for your phone from here or, Oneplus 8t, Oneplus 9r
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot boot OrangeFox_R12.1-xx.img
    adb sideload fw_Oneplus8T_EU_cXX_DDR0.zip
    adb rebooot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery OrangeFox_R12.1-xx.img
    fastboot reboot recovery
    Apply Update - apply via ADB
    adb sideload ROM_OOS12_Based.zip
    Reboot System

From OOS12 Firmware to OOS11 Firmware ROM
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Please only use this right now when you have DDR4 RAM in your phone!
    (seems that phones with DDR5 RAM get issues after flashing the OOS11 Firmware)

getprop ro.boot.ddr_type
    Download OOS11 flashable Firmware for your phone from here or, Oneplus 8t, Oneplus 9r
    Download Recovery_OOS11_FW_Android12_decryption.img from here
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot boot Orangefox R12.1 recovery
    flash OOS11.0.13.13 Firmware
    flash ROM_OOS11_Based.zip
    reboot to bootloader
    fastboot boot Recovery_OOS11_FW_Android12_decryption.img
    Reboot System
    Hey, at least its one step closer to finally switching to the new firmware. :)
    Yes I am a step closer now, I have updated it now with OOS12 files but still no luck in getting the decryption of data working.
    Guess I have to add/update some more things to get that working.
    Seems to me now that it is not even trying to decrypt now since something is missing or not yet updated.
    Have to dive deeper into this to understand what more needs to be fixed /updated now.