[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] OrangeFox Recovery Project [OnePlus 8t / 9r] [03-MAR-2024]

Search This thread

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 7a
New Orangefox Version for Android 13 and Android 14 custom ROMs. :)
It does not work on Stock OOS now (with Stock OOS Kernel!)

Changelog
R12.1 V28 02-Feb-2024
- Synced with latest Orangefox source changes
- Now Orangefox will reflash itself if a ROM is flashed from within a already flashed Orangefox V28 (or newer) Version on the phone.

Mr.Vince

Aug 26, 2022
is there any build available for Oos 14? Im currently using oos 14 so is there any build for oos 14?

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 8 Pro
New Orangefox Version for Android 13 and Android 14 custom ROMs. :)
It does not work on Stock OOS now (with Stock OOS Kernel!)

Changelog
R12.1 V28 02-Feb-2024
- Now Orangefox will reflash itself if a ROM is flashed from within a already flashed Orangefox V28 (or newer) Version on the phone.
I'm running official Los 21 (Android 14) on my 8T (with latest OOS 13.1 EU firmware). V28 behaved perfectly (unlocking with password, backing up data, rebooting).
But I couldn't find the Fox folder or the backup on my phone. So I rebooted into recovery, and the backup was there, where I expected it to be (/sdcard/Fox).
The one thing I noticed was that files/directories were owned by root:media_rw, unlike the other files in /sdcard which were owned by media_rw:media_rw.
I had seen something like this happening a long time ago and moving the files/directories would fix the ownership, but not this time. So I changed the owner to media_rw and rebooted, but that made no difference.

My Android file explorer (Solid Explorer) has root permission so I looked in /data/media/0 (aka sdcard) but no Fox directory there. Then I used su in Termux and ran 'ls -la' and then I could see the directory. But all the attributes where showing ??'s and I couldn't access the contents. I did get a message saying something like "file needs cleaning" which I've never come across before. I was not able to do anything with the directory, not even delete it.

I took screenshots of all of this, but in the process of trying some other things I managed to get Orange Fox to make the whole sdcard unavailable to the system. So I had to factory reset the phone and lost the screenshots.
This also makes me wonder what would happen if I tried to restore a backup - would that trash /data, not just /sdcard?

Any idea what's going on? I'm prepared to try things again using Orange Fox and get information for you because I would love to have a working backup of my phone.

Last edited:

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I decided to play around a bit more. So I installed OF again, and then just looked thorough all its options, hoping that one of them would allow me to backup to an SD card. But no such luck.
Upon rebooting system, /sdcard is no longer visible, but /storage/emulated/0 is working, as is /data/media/0.
In fact programs that have data on /sdcard seem to be working fine

In Termux running 'ls' on /sdcard gives "ls: reading directory '.': Structure needs cleaning". But the same command on /data/media/0 gives
Code:
ls: cannot access 'Fox': Structure needs cleaning
'.$Trash$'     Movies          data
 .transforms   Music           driveinfo.calibre
 @install      Notifications   los-ota.txt
 Alarms        Obsidian        metadata.calibre
 Android       Pictures        nine
 Audiobooks    Podcasts        ninex
 Books         Recordings      openrecoveryscript
 DCIM          Ringtones       ors-prev.log
 Documents     SwiftBackup     ors.log
 Download      TWRP            pif
 Fox           Tools           rssd.log
And ls -l gives:
Code:
drwxrwsr-x   6 media_rw media_rw    3452 240229 10:55 Download
d?????????   ? ?        ?              ?            ? Fox
drwxrwsr-x   3 media_rw media_rw    3452 231207 08:48 Movies

I tried to run e2fsk and fsck.(erofs,f2fs) but neither worked.

Since not having /sdcard isn't a show stopper - it's a nuisance - I'm leaving things as they are in case you want more information.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240229-123950_Solid Explorer.png
    Screenshot_20240229-123950_Solid Explorer.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I managed to get my phone back to normal by booting into recovery, entering my password to decrypt storage, then used adb shell from my PC and deleting /sdcard/Fox and rebooting (all from shell).

Update: I was correct in not rebooting from the Fox UI because that will create /sdcard/Fox if it doesn't exist so that it can write logs.
And I didn't need to use adb because you can run the reboot command from Terminal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wishmasterflo

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 7a
I'm running official Los 21 (Android 14) on my 8T (with latest OOS 13.1 EU firmware). V28 behaved perfectly (unlocking with password, backing up data, rebooting).
But I couldn't find the Fox folder or the backup on my phone. So I rebooted into recovery, and the backup was there, where I expected it to be (/sdcard/Fox).
The one thing I noticed was that files/directories were owned by root:media_rw, unlike the other files in /sdcard which were owned by media_rw:media_rw.
I had seen something like this happening a long time ago and moving the files/directories would fix the ownership, but not this time. So I changed the owner to media_rw and rebooted, but that made no difference.

My Android file explorer (Solid Explorer) has root permission so I looked in /data/media/0 (aka sdcard) but no Fox directory there. Then I used su in Termux and ran 'ls -la' and then I could see the directory. But all the attributes where showing ??'s and I couldn't access the contents. I did get a message saying something like "file needs cleaning" which I've never come across before. I was not able to do anything with the directory, not even delete it.

I took screenshots of all of this, but in the process of trying some other things I managed to get Orange Fox to make the whole sdcard unavailable to the system. So I had to factory reset the phone and lost the screenshots.
This also makes me wonder what would happen if I tried to restore a backup - would that trash /data, not just /sdcard?

Any idea what's going on? I'm prepared to try things again using Orange Fox and get information for you because I would love to have a working backup of my phone.
Yes, got it. I am just building a new Orangefox Version. The Kernel things and adjustments I used in my Orangefox V28 (when trying to get it to work on Stock OOS13/OOS14 have messed up things now.
So reverting back to the Kernel settings I used before in V27 .

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 7a
New Orangefox Version V29 for Android 13 and Android 14 custom ROMs. :)
It does not work on Stock OOS for now!

Changelog
R12.1 V29 03-Mar-2024
- Orangefox will reflash itself if a ROM is flashed from within a already flashed Orangefox V28 or later Version on the phone!
- Reverted back Kernel settings which caused issues on Orangefox V28
- Updated Magisk addon to Magisk v27.0

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 8 Pro
New Orangefox Version V29 for Android 13 and Android 14 custom ROMs. :)
It does not work on Stock OOS for now!

Changelog
R12.1 V29 03-Mar-2024
- Orangefox will reflash itself if a ROM is flashed from within a already flashed Orangefox V28 or later Version on the phone!
Thanks for the update. The new version doesn't have the problem.
BUT...
When I booted v29 I got errors about inaccessible directories that needed cleaning.
I discovered that v28 had not only affected /sdcard/Fox but a number of other locations in /data (see file ll in the attached zip and look for "??").
I rebooted v28 and went through deleting all of the relevant directories, rebooted v29 and it still has errors (/data/reserve)! And backing up /data failed (see the logs in Fox/BACKUPS/...)
Rebooted v28 again and deleted /data/reserve (rm -fr reserve) but it didn't get deleted even though there were no errors executing the command.
So I'm now stuck with a system that can't be backed up and v28 won't delete the offending directory.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Fox.zip
    29.1 KB · Views: 6

Wishmasterflo

Nov 21, 2018
Stockholm
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 7a
Thanks for the update. The new version doesn't have the problem.
BUT...
When I booted v29 I got errors about inaccessible directories that needed cleaning.
I discovered that v28 had not only affected /sdcard/Fox but a number of other locations in /data (see file ll in the attached zip and look for "??").
I rebooted v28 and went through deleting all of the relevant directories, rebooted v29 and it still has errors (/data/reserve)! And backing up /data failed (see the logs in Fox/BACKUPS/...)
Rebooted v28 again and deleted /data/reserve (rm -fr reserve) but it didn't get deleted even though there were no errors executing the command.
So I'm now stuck with a system that can't be backed up and v28 won't delete the offending directory.
Any suggestions?
Yes I guess that has something to do with different Kernels I use in v28 and v29.
I heard from others that they had to do a format data in order to get that working corretly.

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Yes I guess that has something to do with different Kernels I use in v28 and v29.
I heard from others that they had to do a format data in order to get that working correctly.
I tried to avoid doing a format, but ended up having to do it.
One of the things I tried was restoring a v29 backup from a different phone (but same OS). But that resulted in my phone ending up with the other phone's MAC address for the WiFi connection! I have no idea why that happened as the backup was only of /data. It's weird.

I'm in the process of setting up my phone again. But I can confirm that v29 can backup and restore /data.
And ORS works nicely on v29.

Thanks very much for this. It's great to have a backup that works on Android 14.

Last edited:
I remember awhile back one of your recovery zip files could be flashed in magisk. Is it possible to flash the latest fox recovery in magisk? I ask because there's a glitch in A14. Fastboot seems to be missing. I found a workaround, so I was able to flash the patched boot.img but it won't let me boot your recovery. I could probably flash the orangefox recovery, but I don't really want to tread in unknown waters too much and end up bricking my phone and starting from scratch.
UPDATE: I went ahead and flashed OrangeFox. Everything seems to be working fine. So I flashed the EU firmware flasher (just to enable dual SIM) but it didn't enable, and I'm still getting the Bootloader unlock warning. So I flashed the firmware flasher for 13.1, but as I figured, the phone wouldn't boot, so I reflashed the firmware flasher for OOS 14

Last edited:

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
I remember awhile back one of your recovery zip files could be flashed in magisk. Is it possible to flash the latest fox recovery in magisk? I ask because there's a glitch in A14. Fastboot seems to be missing. I found a workaround, so I was able to flash the patched boot.img but it won't let me boot your recovery. I could probably flash the orangefox recovery, but I don't really want to tread in unknown waters too much and end up bricking my phone and starting from scratch.
UPDATE: I went ahead and flashed OrangeFox. Everything seems to be working fine. So I flashed the EU firmware flasher (just to enable dual SIM) but it didn't enable, and I'm still getting the Bootloader unlock warning. So I flashed the firmware flasher for 13.1, but as I figured, the phone wouldn't boot, so I reflashed the firmware flasher for OOS 14
Did you try to flash OOS14 beta bootloader (abl.img) to enable dual SIM?

ghatothkach

hi

I updated firmware to OOS14, and the current version of recovery won't work. Does anyone know of an OOS14.x based recovery?

I am able to boot to the OOS14 recovery image but all the custom recoveries I have tried so far have not worked, all of them seem to be 13.x based.

I need to get into fastbootd mode somehow to complete the partially finished flashing process, OR somehow rollback to 13.1 firmware so this recovery would work. No idea how to do that.

G

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 8 Pro
hi

I updated firmware to OOS14, and the current version of recovery won't work. Does anyone know of an OOS14.x based recovery?

I am able to boot to the OOS14 recovery image but all the custom recoveries I have tried so far have not worked, all of them seem to be 13.x based.

I need to get into fastbootd mode somehow to complete the partially finished flashing process, OR somehow rollback to 13.1 firmware so this recovery would work. No idea how to do that.

G

I've been able to use TWRP on stock OOS 13.1 and 14 (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...in-recovery-project-8t-9r-2022-07-27.4473983/).
But on Los 21 (Android 14 on OOS 13.1 firmware) I have to use Orange Fox V29.

So it seems to me that the recovery depends more on the ROM installed than the firmware.

Reactions: dahawthorne

ghatothkach

Update:

Don't know what exact sequence of steps I did, but I was able to flash the boot and dtbo and some other images from the vanilla 13.1 firmware and apparently some part of the firmware rolled back to 13.1, then I was able to get Orange Fox v29 to boot, and then used the firmware update patch, followed by LOS21-μG and it all worked out well

I now have LOS21-μG on both a and b

Would love to see a version based on the firmware of KB2005_14.0.0.301-EX01_20240305 or later..

G

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi

G

I've been able to use TWRP on stock OOS 13.1 and 14 (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...in-recovery-project-8t-9r-2022-07-27.4473983/).
    But on Los 21 (Android 14 on OOS 13.1 firmware) I have to use Orange Fox V29.

So it seems to me that the recovery depends more on the ROM installed than the firmware.
    OrangeFox Recovery Project

logo.jpg

Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * We're not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
    */

OrangeFox Recovery for the Oneplus 8t/9r
    Download (for Android 13, 14 ROMs) (OOS13.x Based)
    Download (for Android 12.x, 13 ROMs) (OOS12 Based)
    Download (for Android 11 ROMs) (OOS11 Based)
    Download FBEv1 Version Oneplus 8 (OOS13 Based) by Deepongi

Download FBEv1 Version Oneplus 8Pro (OOS12 Based) by saurabh_parab
    Download FBEv1 Version Oneplus 8Pro (OOS13 Based) by saurabh_parab

Boot it with: fastboot boot OrangeFox-R12.1-OPKONA-V29.img
    or flash it with: fastboot flash recovery_a OrangeFox-R12.1-OPKONA-V29.img
    fastboot flash recovery_b OrangeFox-R12.1-OPKONA-V29.img

The OrangeFox-R12.1-OPKONA-V28.zip can be flashed or sideloaded in recovery to install the Fox addons like Magisk etc.

If the touchscreen is not working for you after booting/flashing Orangefox please make sure that the booted Orangefox is on the same OOS base as your phone is on!

Note: fastbootd is not working on the OOS13 based Orangefox!!
    For StockOOS13.1 please use Orangefox R12.1
    V20 !

Take a look at
    this Post from TWRP in regards of Backup and Restore or
    here from the Orangefox wiki.

Keep in mind! Never flash a recovery file if you are not on the same OOS Firmware as the recovery is for, otherwise you will end up in Qualcomm Crashdump mode or just a black screen.
    Always just do a fastboot boot recovery.img until you are on the same OOS Firmware on your phone as the recovery is for, only then you can flash it with fastboot flash recovery as well!

Firmware Flasher Download

ROM Flashing instructions:
    (take a look at the Spoiler above if you need to switch OOS Firmware Base for your ROM)
    From OOS to custom ROM

- Boot to Orangefox
    - Format data
    - Switch slot
    - Reboot to recovery
    - sideload/flash ROM
    - sideload/flash Orangefox.zip
    - reboot to recovery
    - Flash Magisk (Magisk can be installed through Fox addons - Install Magisk as well)
    - Reboot to system

From custom to custom ROM

- Boot to Orangefox
    - Format Data
    - sideload/flash ROM
    - Reboot to recovery
    - Flash Magisk (Magisk can be installed through Fox addons - Install Magisk as well)
    - Reboot to system

For Updating a custom ROM

- Boot to Orangefox
    - sideload/flash ROM
    - Reboot to recovery
    - Reboot to system

The Messages failed to mount system, vendor after flashing a ROM can be ignored.
    That is due to mounting those for both ext4 and EROFS and of course you can have only one of them.
    If you get a Bootloop after flashing a ROM and having done a Format Data do the below:

Boot to bootloader and:
    - fastboot devices
    - fastboot -w
    - fastboot reboot

Orangefox OP8 series and 9r Unified
    XDA Thread
    Source Code: https://gitlab.com/OrangeFox
    Device Tree (A12/A13):
    https://github.com/Wishmasterflo/device_oneplus_opkona
    Device Tree Kebab (A11): https://github.com/Wishmasterflo/android_device_oneplus_kebab
    Wiki/FAQ: https://wiki.orangefox.tech/en/guides

OrangeFox Version: R12.1
    Version: V29
    Last Updated: 03-Mar-2024

Changelog
    R12.1 V29 03-Mar-2024

R11.1 V15 25-Aug-2023
    - Synced with latest fox_11.0 changes
    - Adjusted some device settings
    - Updated build vars to latest
    - Added better device detection script

old Changelogs

Credits
    * ApexLegend007 for Android 12.1 device Tree
    * The-Incognito for Recovery Trees of Oneplus 8T
    * YumeMichi For Implementing Erofs and Other Misc
    * bigbiff for decryption
    * Pranav Talmale for decryption
    * Systemad for original tree
    * CaptainThrowback for original tree
    * mauronofrio for original tree
    * BillGoss for Backup and Restore
    * Qnorsten for OOS fix
    * TWRP team
    * OrangeFox team
    * Deepongi for Orangefox recovery for Oneplus 8
    * saurabh_parab for Orangefox recovery for Oneplus 8 Pro
    Hi!

I uploaded a new Version with the latest OrangeFox R11.1 changes

R11.1 V9 01-June-2022
    - Synced with latest OrangeFox R11.1 changes

FYI

I see that the Orangefox Team is still working on the new Version R12.1 which will support Android 12 but that Version is not ready to build it yet as it still seems to have many bugs and issues.
    As soon they fully release it I will build it for our Oneplus 8t.

Stay tuned!
    Good news. 😊

Orangefox R12.1 got released now.
    During the next week I can try to build it for the Oneplus 8t.
    Hi all!

I have updated the OP now with a Spoiler and flashing Instructions when switching from OOS11 Base Firmware to OOS12 Base Firmware or from OOS12 Base Firmware to OOS11 Base Firmware and download links for both Oneplus 8t and Oneplus 9r :)

Keep in mind! Never flash a recovery file if you are not on the same OOS Firmware as the recovery is for, otherwise you will end up in Qualcomm Crashdump mode or just a black screen.
    Always just do a fastboot boot recovery.img until you are on the same OOS Firmware on your phone as the recovery is for, only then you can flash it with fastboot flash recovery as well!

EDIT: It seems that the Firmware downgrade from OOS12 to OOS11 is not working on phones with DDR5 RAM, so please dont use the downgrade from OOS12 to OOS11 when you have DDR5 RAM !!!!!

From OOS11 Firmware to OOS12 Firmware ROM
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Check DDR RAM type (from Windows cmd)
    adb shell getprop ro.boot.ddr_type
    0 - represents your device is LPDDR4X (use DDR0 Firmware file)
    1 - represents your device is LPDDR5 (use DDR1 Firmware file)
    or from Terminal on your phone
    getprop ro.boot.ddr_type
    When you are on OOS12 use this from the Orangefox Terminal:
    cat /proc/devinfo/ddr_type
    Download latest Orangefox 12.1 img file from here
    Download OOS12 flashable Firmware for your phone from here or, Oneplus 8t, Oneplus 9r
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot boot OrangeFox_R12.1-xx.img
    adb sideload fw_Oneplus8T_EU_cXX_DDR0.zip
    adb rebooot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery OrangeFox_R12.1-xx.img
    fastboot reboot recovery
    Apply Update - apply via ADB
    adb sideload ROM_OOS12_Based.zip
    Factory reset/Format Data
    Reboot System

From OOS12 Firmware to OOS11 Firmware ROM
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Please only use this right now when you have DDR4 RAM in your phone!
    (seems that phones with DDR5 RAM get issues after flashing the OOS11 Firmware)

Check DDR RAM type (from Windows cmd)
    adb shell getprop ro.boot.ddr_type
    or from Terminal on your phone
    getprop ro.boot.ddr_type
    When you are on OOS12 use this from the Orangefox Terminal:
    cat /proc/devinfo/ddr_type
    Download latest Orangefox 12.1 img file from here
    Download OOS11 flashable Firmware for your phone from here or, Oneplus 8t, Oneplus 9r
    Download Recovery_OOS11_FW_Android12_decryption.img from here
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot boot Orangefox R12.1 recovery
    flash OOS11.0.13.13 Firmware
    flash ROM_OOS11_Based.zip
    reboot to bootloader
    fastboot boot Recovery_OOS11_FW_Android12_decryption.img
    Factory reset/Format Data
    Reboot System
    Hey, at least its one step closer to finally switching to the new firmware. :)
    Yes I am a step closer now, I have updated it now with OOS12 files but still no luck in getting the decryption of data working.
    Guess I have to add/update some more things to get that working.
    Seems to me now that it is not even trying to decrypt now since something is missing or not yet updated.
    Have to dive deeper into this to understand what more needs to be fixed /updated now.