[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL][SM-T820][SM-T825][2022-12-11] TWRP 3.7.0_9.0 for Galaxy Tab S3

Search This thread

solemgar

Jan 15, 2016
Managed to flash it finally. Had to flash via ODIN Oreo stock binary 3 and the prenormal state disappeared right off the bat. I also had enabled OEM unlock option from the moment I booted the stock rom.

theastroboy

Aug 4, 2016
I encountered a bootloop after flashing TWRP 3.2.1-1 by ashx on my Oreo smt820. I found it was due to dm-verify and patches needed to be flashed. It was a scary moment as I never had such an issue with my smt71x/smt81x. Luckily, I was able to recover by flashing an Oreo stock rom.

I have updated my smt820 to Pie stock rom. Can I just flash this TWRP without any patches applied?

Thanks.

theastroboy

Aug 4, 2016
I encountered a bootloop after flashing TWRP 3.2.1-1 by ashx on my Oreo smt820. I found it was due to dm-verify and patches needed to be flashed. It was a scary moment as I never had such an issue with my smt71x/smt81x. Luckily, I was able to recover by flashing an Oreo stock rom.

I have updated my smt820 to Pie stock rom. Can I just flash this TWRP without any patches applied? I will be enabling "allow modification" to keep TWRP obviously, but don't want to get into a bootloop like before.

Thanks.

I have updated my smt820 to Pie stock rom. Can I just flash this TWRP without any patches applied?

Thanks.
Afai remember when coming from Oreo needed 2 files when on Pie already TWRP only should work.
Did for me.

solemgar

Jan 15, 2016
Managed to flash it finally. Had to flash via ODIN Oreo stock binary 3 and the prenormal state disappeared right off the bat. I also had enabled OEM unlock option from the moment I booted the stock rom.
More welp. Flashing Oreo bootloader binary 3 (for the 825) allows me to flash TWRP fine. The moment I install back bootloader from pie, back to kg prenormal again, even with the bootloader locked. Will have to wait the 7 days and see if it make a difference. From what I read, some roms do not work fine with Oreo bootloader (fingerprint reader)

Just saw TWRP has gone to 3.7.0 with official Android 12/12L support. Will you be building this for our S3 units?

www.xda-developers.com/twrp-3-7-0-release-android-12-support/

I already have your Android 13 version installed on my two T820 units and it's working GREAT.

THANKS

Thank you for the info :)

I have been trying to build a new TWRP on android-12.1 branch with FBE support, but it doesn't work at all because of its image size I guess.
If I implement some basic FBE support on the device tree, it always reaches about 36 MB, so I tried to compress the ramdisk with XZ compression, which needs some patches to the TWRP Android source tree, it can be shrunk to 28 MB but it still not work.
But without FBE, with XZ compression, it can be 26 MB, and it finally works but has no merit to use.
So the plan is to build TWRP on android-9 branch like before, but with support LOS 18.1, LOS 19.1 with FDE encryption and LOS 20.0 with no encryption for now.
Another post of this thing..
- https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...or-galaxy-tab-s3.4510785/page-4#post-87786447

Sad that there are not many options to choose. I don't know why the recovery image size can be a matter on our device, but it apparently is. 🤔

Will share all of the progress and the build instruction for LOS and TWRP, so I hope someone will help us in the future :)

Sad that there are not many options to choose. I don't know why the recovery image size can be a matter on our device, but it apparently is. 🤔......
No idea if that can help to determine the cause but I've took the pit file from stock CSC and made it into txt.
Wasn't (yet?) able to calculate the MB size as Idk the byte size of one block but perhaps you know.

On S5=G900F I know for sure that recovery partition is only 30MB big so perhaps it's the same problem here.
Tried DiskInfo as well but that even didn't show the recovery partition.

Attachments

• PIT_Analysis_GTS3LLTE_EUR_OPEN.pit.txt
    33.7 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Awesometic
No idea if that can help to determine the cause but I've took the pit file from stock CSC and made it into txt.
Wasn't (yet?) able to calculate the MB size as Idk the byte size of one block but perhaps you know.

On S5=G900F I know for sure that recovery partition is only 30MB big so perhaps it's the same problem here.
Tried DiskInfo as well but that even didn't show the recovery partition.
Didn't think that we can analyze devices' PIT information. Actually, I don't know the size of each block 🙈

From your file, the recovery size part is this.

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------
Entry Memory Address: 0xE8C
----------------------------------------------------------

Binary Type:                0            (UNKNOWN)
Device Type:                2                (MMC)
Identifier:                 29
Attribute:                  5       (READ / WRITE)
Update Attribute:           1               (FOTA)
Block Size:                 391.168
Block Count:                155.648
File Offset (Obsolete):     0
File Size (Obsolete):       0
Partition Name:             RECOVERY
Flash FileName:             recovery.img
FOTA FileName:

Maybe you did use this PIT Magic tool?
In the screenshot the author posted, block size and the block both has '(KB)' unit next to their label.
Hmm, but don't know yet how to determine the actual size. But it is definitely one of the exact factors we can refer to for the recovery partition.

........ Maybe you did use this PIT Magic tool?
Indeed I used that
In the screenshot the author posted, block size and the block both has '(KB)' unit next to their label.
Didn't know the screenshot.
Hmm, but don't know yet how to determine the actual size. But it is definitely one of the exact factors we can refer to for the recovery partition.
So acc to the block count=kb the recovery partition size would be 152MB (155648/1024 kB).
So that should be way enough for a >30MB TWRP. 🤷‍♂️
Diskinfo (Kuder Apps) said 30MB for G900F while its pit file names 30720 blocks.
So that matches.
"Block size" I figured out is where the partition starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Awesometic
Indeed I used that

Didn't know the screenshot.

So acc to the block count=kb the recovery partition size would be 152MB (155648/1024 kB).
So that should be way enough for a >30MB TWRP. 🤷‍♂️
Diskinfo (Kuder Apps) said 30MB for G900F while its pit file names 30720 blocks.
So that matches.
"Block size" I figured out is where the partition starts.
Then, it is peculiar.
After doing my job, I will share the source codes with instructions. Looks like it need to be checked by other developers 🤔

gukovsem

Apr 28, 2008
Lviv
Thank you for twrp, used 3.7.0_9 to install from Odin, because 3.5.0_9 stuck on running.
With this 3.7.0_9 could install Rom with Android 13 instead previous Android 12.

I installed this via Odin because it would not install as an image file in TWRP 3.6.0.

Today I tried to update your first alpha build of Android 13 to the your 2nd release on Jan. 2nd and 3.7.0 could not mount storage. I formatted Data and restarted to TWRP and it did more but still would just bootloop. Could not mount Cache. I tried repairing the file system and still nothing.

Have you tested this?

I have a 2nd T820 that I had not updated to 3.7.0 and the Jan 2nd build updated fine.

I appreciate your work and just letting you know.

Last edited:
I installed this via Odin because it would not install as an image file in TWRP 3.6.0.

Today I tried to update your first alpha build of Android 13 to the your 2nd release on Jan. 2nd and 3.7.0 could not mount storage. I formatted Data and restarted to TWRP and it did more but still would just bootloop. Could not mount Cache. I tried repairing the file system and still nothing.

Have you tested this?

I have a 2nd T820 that I had not updated to 3.7.0 and the Jan 2nd build updated fine.

I appreciate your work and just letting you know.
Yes, I'm using this version now. Boot-loop on LineageOS 20 is not fixed yet, you should avoid formatting data partition on the TWRP menu for now.

Please refer to this post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...or-galaxy-tab-s3.4510785/page-5#post-87936447

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty will be VOID after installing a custom ROM.
    * Get notified yourself that I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications,
    * and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device,
    * I will laugh at you.
    */

# Team Win Recovery Project

TWRP is an open source, community project. TWRP development is done by roughly 4 people at this point. We also have a large support community with many people who are willing to answer questions and help people with their devices either through our IRC channel or on forums like xda-developers.

Team Win was originally formed to work on porting WiMAX to CM7 for the HTC EVO 4G. After our work on the EVO 4G we wanted to work on a project that would work on more devices than just the EVO 4G and we settled on working on a recovery. Today TWRP is the leading custom recovery for Android phones.

A custom recovery is used for installing custom software on your device. This custom software can include smaller modifications like rooting your device or even replacing the firmware of the device with a completely custom "ROM" like OmniROM

You can find the source code for TWRP at github.com/teamwin/android_bootable_recovery/

# Features
    • Flashing a ROM
    • Factory reset
    • Erasing the partitions including system, data, cache, internal storage
    • Backup and restore
    • Supports F2FS formatting
    • USB ADB/MTP/OTG

# Downloads

# How to install
    • You have to unlock your bootloader in advance. Check "OEM Unlock" in the device settings.

## Via Odin/Heimdall
    1. Download "twrp-*-gts3l*.img.tar"from the given link.
      • Check the file name to yours, gts3llte or gts3lwifi.
    2. Enter the download mode by pressing the volume-down + home + power buttons at the same time.
    3. Open Odin or Heimdall and set the AP slot as the downloaded recovery file.
    4. Flash.
    5. Reboot to the recovery by pressing the volume-up + home + power buttons at the same time.
    6. Done.

## Via rooted ADB
    • This is for those who can get the rooted ADB shell, by the custom ROM or previous TWRP, etc.
    1. Download "twrp-*-gts3l*.img"from the given link.
      • Check the file name to yours, gts3llte or gts3lwifi.
      • In this guide, assume that the file is named "twrp.img".
    2. Copy the recovery file into somewhere the device can access.
    3. Enter the ADB shell with rooted mode.
    4. In the shell, go to the directory that the recovery file copied.
    5. Enter the command, "dd if=twrp.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery"
    6. Reboot to the recovery by pressing the volume-up + home + power buttons at the same time.
    7. Done.

# Notes
    • It may slow until formatting data partition when you are from the stock ROM. It tries to mount data partition using ext4 filesystem but it fails repeatedly.

# Sources

# Buy me a coffee

# Credits / Special thanks to
    • Android Open Source Project
    • TeamWin Team
    • LineageOS Team
    • OmniROM Team
    • TWRP Minimal Manifests
    • @Valera1978 for his amazing previous work including his MSM8996 kernel
    • @ashyx for his amazing previous work on his TWRP
    • @EonOfBlack for confirming its working on SM-T820
    ## Changelogs
    • 2021. 11. 30
      • Updated TWRP version to 3.6.0
      • Started to use my custom kernel
        • Set the kernel to "awesometic-kernel-v0.3"
        • Merged CAF tag LA.UM.7.6.r1-07800-89xx.0
        • Now it supports F2FS file system
        • Improved performance
        • And some more but not related to the recovery
    • 2021. 7. 9
      • Initial release
    Just saw TWRP has gone to 3.7.0 with official Android 12/12L support. Will you be building this for our S3 units?

www.xda-developers.com/twrp-3-7-0-release-android-12-support/

I already have your Android 13 version installed on my two T820 units and it's working GREAT.

THANKS

Thank you for the info :)

I have been trying to build a new TWRP on android-12.1 branch with FBE support, but it doesn't work at all because of its image size I guess.
    If I implement some basic FBE support on the device tree, it always reaches about 36 MB, so I tried to compress the ramdisk with XZ compression, which needs some patches to the TWRP Android source tree, it can be shrunk to 28 MB but it still not work.
    But without FBE, with XZ compression, it can be 26 MB, and it finally works but has no merit to use.
    So the plan is to build TWRP on android-9 branch like before, but with support LOS 18.1, LOS 19.1 with FDE encryption and LOS 20.0 with no encryption for now.
    Another post of this thing..
    - https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...or-galaxy-tab-s3.4510785/page-4#post-87786447

Sad that there are not many options to choose. I don't know why the recovery image size can be a matter on our device, but it apparently is. 🤔

Will share all of the progress and the build instruction for LOS and TWRP, so I hope someone will help us in the future :)
    I uploaded the new TWRP 3.7.0_9.0 recovery.
    Actually, this hasn't noticeable change except that syncing with the latest source tree.
    If you don't have any issues with the previous version, you don't need to update the recovery image. :)