[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP 3.4.0 for 2019 Galaxy Tab A 8.0 [SM-T290]

Search This thread

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
twrp-featured.jpg

What's posted below is a work in progress, but it should suffice to unblock efforts to build custom ROMs for this inexpensive tablet. Many thanks to @mehanik6 on 4PDA for blazing the trail.

Notes:
  • The current process requires you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
  • Custom kernels are specific to OEM releases, and rely on the latest posted kernel source.
  • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't mess with the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
  • Support for file-based encryption

Downloads:
Build archives:

Change Log:
v3.5.0_9-0: (2021-01-02)
  • Updated to T290XXU3BTI2 posted kernel source.
  • Updated to TWRP 3.5.0 release built from android-9.0 branch.
v3.4.0-1: (2020-12-09)
  • New custom T290XXS3ATC1 kernel that actually fixes MTP support.
v3.4.0-0: (2020-12-04)
  • Included legacy aboot and vaultkeeper in tarball to allow Odin flash on Android 10 OEM firmware.
v3.4.0-0: (2020-11-01)
  • Initial release based on T290XXS3ATC1 OEM kernel
  • Fixed MTP support

Instructions:
From OEM stock firmware:
  • Unlock bootloader
  • Hold Vol Up & Vol Down buttons during restart to enter Download mode
  • Install TWRP to AP with Odin
  • Hold Power & Vol Up buttons during restart to enter TWRP recovery
  • Install latest Multidisabler from TWRP
  • Wipe->Format Data
  • Reboot to system
From existing TWRP install: (No need for data wipe.)
  • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
  • Tap Install->Install Image, select your image (.img) file, pick Recovery partition, and then swipe to install
  • Reboot to system

What about rooting with Magisk?
These images are not supplied pre-rooted with Magisk, since it's against the terms of use laid out by Magisk's developer, John Wu. To root the TWRP image yourself, simply use Magisk Manager to Select and Patch a File. More details on this process are available from @ianmacd's topic for the Galaxy S10 series here.

Source:

Donations:
  • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.

Last edited:

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
After weeks of waiting Samsung has finally provided the Source for the Q update. Is there anyway you can update the Kernel base for the Q source?

Source is here: https://opensource.samsung.com/uploadSearch?searchValue=T290

Thank you! :)
Yes, I've been requesting this since I got my SM-T290 in mid-October (when it went on sale for $89 at Costco) and Samsung finally posted it on Monday, along with the SM-T500. I'm actually building the custom kernel right now and should have an update for TWRP and a Nexus Stock custom ROM very soon.

UPDATE: Samsung seems to have changed the bootloader in Android 10 so that it won't support custom recovery even if the bootloader is unlocked and we substitute an empty vbmeta.img. This is another one of those Samsung VaultKeeper "features" that I find infuriating.

Last edited:
Reactions: eclipse00074

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
Well, at least with the SM-T290 we can roll back to the Android 9 bootloader (minimally aboot and vaultkeeper), but that might not be an option with the SM-T500. We'll find out this weekend when I attempt to build TWRP for that newer tablet, which released with Android 10 and dynamic partitions.

The fact that you've been able to root the SM-T500 is promising, since Majisk modifies the recovery partition to do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: sal84x and jlang11

sal84x

Jun 15, 2017
Does this work with the Kids Edition of the SM-T290?

Really disappointed with this tablet, I figured since it only allows the user less than 32 gigs of space I could use an SD card in order for my daughter to download all the games she wants... only to find out there is no possible way to move any app to the SD whatsoever, actually the option to move apps to sd is not even greyed out it's just gone completely.

Doesn't seem to be many roms for the t290 available, and or if any roms out there could force that option back in.

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
Does this work with the Kids Edition of the SM-T290?

Really disappointed with this tablet, I figured since it only allows the user less than 32 gigs of space I could use an SD card in order for my daughter to download all the games she wants... only to find out there is no possible way to move any app to the SD whatsoever, actually the option to move apps to sd is not even greyed out it's just gone completely.

Doesn't seem to be many roms for the t290 available, and or if any roms out there could force that option back in.
My Nexus Stock custom ROMs do allow formatting the SD as internal so that you can store apps on it (although there are performance issues with SD vs. EMMC to consider). I've already got this working on Android 9, but was holding out for the Android 10 kernel source to be posted so that we can roll out on the latest OEM firmware. This issue with the Q bootloader is a setback, but I expect that we'll be able to work around it.

The Kid's edition is just a characteristic of the OEM firmware you install, and the hardware is identical, so you should be fine after you upgrade to T290XXU3BTI2. If you really want the Kid's Edition splash screen, I suspect that T290UEU3BTI3 will work with custom ROMs based on T290XXU3BTI2 just fine.

sal84x

Jun 15, 2017
My Nexus Stock custom ROMs do allow formatting the SD as internal so that you can store apps on it (although there are performance issues with SD vs. EMMC to consider). I've already got this working on Android 9, but was holding out for the Android 10 kernel source to be posted so that we can roll out on the latest OEM firmware. This issue with the Q bootloader is a setback, but I expect that we'll be able to work around it.

The Kid's edition is just a characteristic of the OEM firmware you install, and the hardware is identical, so you should be fine after you upgrade to T290XXU3BTI2. If you really want the Kid's Edition splash screen, I suspect that T290UEU3BTI3 will work with custom ROMs based on T290XXU3BTI2 just fine.

Oh ok thanks for breaking that down for me, I just was worried it wouldn't be compatible.

I would love to have a Nexus like experience on this thing, the more vanilla and pure Android, the better to me.

Would games on the sd card still play? Thats really my biggest reason as my daughter has already maxed out her space on it.

The last rooting/flashing I've done is from years back on an S3 and S5. I wish I could say my memory was good enough to feel confident about doing it.

So it would be unlock oem on developer mode, hook it up to a correct version of odin to put twrp in, then from twrp install magisk and also flash the rom right? I know I'm missing a ton of little details but just wanted to see what I could remember 🤔🤔.

Thanks for your help

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
The last rooting/flashing I've done is from years back on an S3 and S5. I wish I could say my memory was good enough to feel confident about doing it.

So it would be unlock oem on developer mode, hook it up to a correct version of odin to put twrp in, then from twrp install magisk and also flash the rom right? I know I'm missing a ton of little details but just wanted to see what I could remember.
Well, a custom ROM and rooting a ROM are two very different things. You can look at my Nexus Stock custom ROM for the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (SM-T510) and see that it's very similar to Pixel Experience custom ROMs. Both are attempts to reproduce the "pure Nexus" experience, but with more modern Pixel boot animations, backgrounds, and Google apps.

Rooting can generally be done for any ROM now using Magisk to allow you to make changes, and there's a pretty good tutorial on that for the Galaxy Tab A7 here. My personal preference is not to root the system partition, but to simply make any changes using the TWRP File Manager where you already have root access.

Last edited:
Reactions: sal84x

sal84x

Jun 15, 2017
Well, a custom ROM and rooting a ROM are two very different things. You can look at my Nexus Stock custom ROM for the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (SM-T510) and see that it's very similar to Pixel Experience custom ROMs. Both are attempts to reproduce the "pure Nexus" experience, but with more modern Pixel boot animations, backgrounds, and Google apps.

Rooting can generally be done for any ROM now using Magisk to allow you to make changes, and there's a pretty good tutorial on that for the Galaxy Tab A7 here. My personal preference is not to root the system partition, but to simply make any changes using the TWRP File Manager where you already have root access.

Oh ok, i see.

Your Nexus rom for the SM-T510 looks awesome! Also, that Tab A7 tutorial is great.

On your original post, the first 2 downloads you have, the first one, "twrp-3.4.0-0-T290UES3ATC1-20201204.tar.md5 (Odin tarball)" that puts the custom recovery on the phone via ODIN. The second download, "twrp-3.4.0-0-T290UES3ATC1-20201101.img", is your Nexus Stock Rom for the T290, and is run from the TWRP recovery itself.

Does your T290 feel more responsive - less laggy with your Nexus rom?

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
The second download, "twrp-3.4.0-0-T290UES3ATC1-20201101.img", is your Nexus Stock Rom for the T290, and is run from the TWRP recovery itself.
Samsung doesn't do flashing via fastboot, so the .img file is really only for incremental updates via TWRP.

Does your T290 feel more responsive - less laggy with your Nexus rom?
I think so, but I might be biased and I haven't had time to run any performance tests. I just posted the first release, though, so you can judge for yourself.

BTW, the $89 Costco deal is back until 12/27.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlang11

jlang11

Nov 14, 2010
St. Petersburg, FL
Quick question, I am having an issue using Smart Switch to make backups for my T500 on my Win10 machine. Seems like it just started and hangs up on applications. Any ideas? Want to install a few Magisk modules but want a back up first.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What's the difference between this twrp and another twrp made by another threat which requires downgrading bootloader, also big confusion regarding GSI roms, the same kernel for all custom roms? Also if you apply Magisk, doesn't it change boot.img, or magisk goes to another partition?

If GSI roms are compatible with this tablet, which version are Android 9 or 10, and are the ones only A, B or both.

Plenty of variables for this particular tablet, thanks and sorry for annoying
    Well, you'd need to compare the version of TWRP and the version of OEM kernel, then consider what customization has been made to the kernel. (For example, I rebuild the kernel to support MTP file transfer.) Also, my Odin tarball includes the older components of the bootloader, so there's no need to revert that as a separate step..

On this device, the boot image has no ramdisk, and so you need to install Magisk to recovery. For that reason, you'll need to pay close attention to ensure the recovery kernel is compatible with your vendor partition.

As long as you've got Treble-compatible OEM firmware (which this is), you can install GSIs based on Android 9, 10 or 11. This one also supports System-as-Root, and so you'll want to use ARM64 A/B.
    Well, you'd need to compare the version of TWRP and the version of OEM kernel, then consider what customization has been made to the kernel. (For example, I rebuild the kernel to support MTP file transfer.) Also, my Odin tarball includes the older components of the bootloader, so there's no need to revert that as a separate step..

On this device, the boot image has no ramdisk, and so you need to install Magisk to recovery. For that reason, you'll need to pay close attention to ensure the recovery kernel is compatible with your vendor partition.

As long as you've got Treble-compatible OEM firmware (which this is), you can install GSIs based on Android 9, 10 or 11. This one also supports System-as-Root, and so you'll want to use ARM64 A/B.

Somehow I trust more on your twrp than of the others else, also MTP mounting is one the most useful features of twrp, not having is bad, thanks gonna proceed with your build, not changing the bootloader is safer to reinstall emergency stock firmware in case something gets wrong.

Btw my A8 T290 came factory with firmware T290XXU3BUB2, I guess is also compatible with this twrp
    twrp-featured.jpg

What's posted below is a work in progress, but it should suffice to unblock efforts to build custom ROMs for this inexpensive tablet. Many thanks to @mehanik6 on 4PDA for blazing the trail.

Notes:
    • The current process requires you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
    • Custom kernels are specific to OEM releases, and rely on the latest posted kernel source.
    • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't mess with the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
    • Support for file-based encryption

Downloads:
    Build archives:

Change Log:
    v3.5.0_9-0: (2021-01-02)
    • Updated to T290XXU3BTI2 posted kernel source.
    • Updated to TWRP 3.5.0 release built from android-9.0 branch.
    v3.4.0-1: (2020-12-09)
    • New custom T290XXS3ATC1 kernel that actually fixes MTP support.
    v3.4.0-0: (2020-12-04)
    • Included legacy aboot and vaultkeeper in tarball to allow Odin flash on Android 10 OEM firmware.
    v3.4.0-0: (2020-11-01)
    • Initial release based on T290XXS3ATC1 OEM kernel
    • Fixed MTP support

Instructions:
    From OEM stock firmware:
    • Unlock bootloader
    • Hold Vol Up & Vol Down buttons during restart to enter Download mode
    • Install TWRP to AP with Odin
    • Hold Power & Vol Up buttons during restart to enter TWRP recovery
    • Install latest Multidisabler from TWRP
    • Wipe->Format Data
    • Reboot to system
    From existing TWRP install: (No need for data wipe.)
    • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
    • Tap Install->Install Image, select your image (.img) file, pick Recovery partition, and then swipe to install
    • Reboot to system

What about rooting with Magisk?
    These images are not supplied pre-rooted with Magisk, since it's against the terms of use laid out by Magisk's developer, John Wu. To root the TWRP image yourself, simply use Magisk Manager to Select and Patch a File. More details on this process are available from @ianmacd's topic for the Galaxy S10 series here.

Source:

Donations:
    • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
    Well, at least with the SM-T290 we can roll back to the Android 9 bootloader (minimally aboot and vaultkeeper), but that might not be an option with the SM-T500. We'll find out this weekend when I attempt to build TWRP for that newer tablet, which released with Android 10 and dynamic partitions.

The fact that you've been able to root the SM-T500 is promising, since Majisk modifies the recovery partition to do that.
    Any chance to get a working TWRP for latest stock firmware as of now?
    Yes, but not this weekend because I've got to finish my thesis.
    After weeks of waiting Samsung has finally provided the Source for the Q update. Is there anyway you can update the Kernel base for the Q source?

Source is here: https://opensource.samsung.com/uploadSearch?searchValue=T290

Thank you! :)
    Yes, I've been requesting this since I got my SM-T290 in mid-October (when it went on sale for $89 at Costco) and Samsung finally posted it on Monday, along with the SM-T500. I'm actually building the custom kernel right now and should have an update for TWRP and a Nexus Stock custom ROM very soon.

UPDATE: Samsung seems to have changed the bootloader in Android 10 so that it won't support custom recovery even if the bootloader is unlocked and we substitute an empty vbmeta.img. This is another one of those Samsung VaultKeeper "features" that I find infuriating.

Somehow I trust more on your twrp than of the others else, also MTP mounting is one the most useful features of twrp, not having is bad, thanks gonna proceed with your build, not changing the bootloader is safer to reinstall emergency stock firmware in case something gets wrong.

Btw my A8 T290 came factory with firmware T290XXU3BUB2, I guess is also compatible with this twrp
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone