[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP 3.4.0 for 2019 Galaxy Tab A 8.0 [SM-T290]

Search This thread

Viggen66

Mar 22, 2009
What's the difference between this twrp and another twrp made by another threat which requires downgrading bootloader, also big confusion regarding GSI roms, the same kernel for all custom roms? Also if you apply Magisk, doesn't it change boot.img, or magisk goes to another partition?

If GSI roms are compatible with this tablet, which version are Android 9 or 10, and are the ones only A, B or both.

Plenty of variables for this particular tablet, thanks and sorry for annoying

Magendanz

• Mar 25, 2008
    Issaquah, WA
    www.Vote4Chad.com
    What's the difference between this twrp and another twrp made by another threat which requires downgrading bootloader, also big confusion regarding GSI roms, the same kernel for all custom roms? Also if you apply Magisk, doesn't it change boot.img, or magisk goes to another partition?

If GSI roms are compatible with this tablet, which version are Android 9 or 10, and are the ones only A, B or both.

Plenty of variables for this particular tablet, thanks and sorry for annoying
    Well, you'd need to compare the version of TWRP and the version of OEM kernel, then consider what customization has been made to the kernel. (For example, I rebuild the kernel to support MTP file transfer.) Also, my Odin tarball includes the older components of the bootloader, so there's no need to revert that as a separate step..

On this device, the boot image has no ramdisk, and so you need to install Magisk to recovery. For that reason, you'll need to pay close attention to ensure the recovery kernel is compatible with your vendor partition.

As long as you've got Treble-compatible OEM firmware (which this is), you can install GSIs based on Android 9, 10 or 11. This one also supports System-as-Root, and so you'll want to use ARM64 A/B.

Reactions: Viggen66

Viggen66

Mar 22, 2009
    Well, you'd need to compare the version of TWRP and the version of OEM kernel, then consider what customization has been made to the kernel. (For example, I rebuild the kernel to support MTP file transfer.) Also, my Odin tarball includes the older components of the bootloader, so there's no need to revert that as a separate step..

On this device, the boot image has no ramdisk, and so you need to install Magisk to recovery. For that reason, you'll need to pay close attention to ensure the recovery kernel is compatible with your vendor partition.

As long as you've got Treble-compatible OEM firmware (which this is), you can install GSIs based on Android 9, 10 or 11. This one also supports System-as-Root, and so you'll want to use ARM64 A/B.

Somehow I trust more on your twrp than of the others else, also MTP mounting is one the most useful features of twrp, not having is bad, thanks gonna proceed with your build, not changing the bootloader is safer to reinstall emergency stock firmware in case something gets wrong.

Btw my A8 T290 came factory with firmware T290XXU3BUB2, I guess is also compatible with this twrp

Last edited:
    Reactions: xompax

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      twrp-featured.jpg

What's posted below is a work in progress, but it should suffice to unblock efforts to build custom ROMs for this inexpensive tablet. Many thanks to @mehanik6 on 4PDA for blazing the trail.

Notes:
      • The current process requires you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
      • Custom kernels are specific to OEM releases, and rely on the latest posted kernel source.
      • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't mess with the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
      • Support for file-based encryption

Downloads:
      Build archives:

Change Log:
      v3.5.0_9-0: (2021-01-02)
      • Updated to T290XXU3BTI2 posted kernel source.
      • Updated to TWRP 3.5.0 release built from android-9.0 branch.
      v3.4.0-1: (2020-12-09)
      • New custom T290XXS3ATC1 kernel that actually fixes MTP support.
      v3.4.0-0: (2020-12-04)
      • Included legacy aboot and vaultkeeper in tarball to allow Odin flash on Android 10 OEM firmware.
      v3.4.0-0: (2020-11-01)
      • Initial release based on T290XXS3ATC1 OEM kernel
      • Fixed MTP support

Instructions:
      From OEM stock firmware:
      • Unlock bootloader
      • Hold Vol Up & Vol Down buttons during restart to enter Download mode
      • Install TWRP to AP with Odin
      • Hold Power & Vol Up buttons during restart to enter TWRP recovery
      • Install latest Multidisabler from TWRP
      • Wipe->Format Data
      • Reboot to system
      From existing TWRP install: (No need for data wipe.)
      • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
      • Tap Install->Install Image, select your image (.img) file, pick Recovery partition, and then swipe to install
      • Reboot to system

What about rooting with Magisk?
      These images are not supplied pre-rooted with Magisk, since it's against the terms of use laid out by Magisk's developer, John Wu. To root the TWRP image yourself, simply use Magisk Manager to Select and Patch a File. More details on this process are available from @ianmacd's topic for the Galaxy S10 series here.

Source:

Donations:
      • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
      Well, at least with the SM-T290 we can roll back to the Android 9 bootloader (minimally aboot and vaultkeeper), but that might not be an option with the SM-T500. We'll find out this weekend when I attempt to build TWRP for that newer tablet, which released with Android 10 and dynamic partitions.

The fact that you've been able to root the SM-T500 is promising, since Majisk modifies the recovery partition to do that.
      Any chance to get a working TWRP for latest stock firmware as of now?
      Yes, but not this weekend because I've got to finish my thesis.
      After weeks of waiting Samsung has finally provided the Source for the Q update. Is there anyway you can update the Kernel base for the Q source?

Source is here: https://opensource.samsung.com/uploadSearch?searchValue=T290

Thank you! :)
      Yes, I've been requesting this since I got my SM-T290 in mid-October (when it went on sale for $89 at Costco) and Samsung finally posted it on Monday, along with the SM-T500. I'm actually building the custom kernel right now and should have an update for TWRP and a Nexus Stock custom ROM very soon.

UPDATE: Samsung seems to have changed the bootloader in Android 10 so that it won't support custom recovery even if the bootloader is unlocked and we substitute an empty vbmeta.img. This is another one of those Samsung VaultKeeper "features" that I find infuriating.

Somehow I trust more on your twrp than of the others else, also MTP mounting is one the most useful features of twrp, not having is bad, thanks gonna proceed with your build, not changing the bootloader is safer to reinstall emergency stock firmware in case something gets wrong.

Btw my A8 T290 came factory with firmware T290XXU3BUB2, I guess is also compatible with this twrp