[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP 3.5.2 for 2019 Galaxy Tab A 10.1 [SM-T510]

Search This thread

Magendanz

• Mar 25, 2008
    Issaquah, WA
    www.Vote4Chad.com
    So, this latest release based on the T510XXU3BTH4 kernel seems to be working fine for me, but I have noticed that you've got to be very patient with OEM system images. It may look like it's hung on the SAMSUNG logo, but after about 5-10 minutes it will reboot and then proceed normally. I assume that Samsung is doing some kind of integrity check on the image, but that's just a guess.

Downloads:
    SM-T510:

Release archive

Magendanz

• Mar 25, 2008
    Issaquah, WA
    www.Vote4Chad.com
    Lol I have been waiting for nearly a year for the t515 twrp. Is it working now? Or shall I come and check next year?
    LOL, I don't even have an SM-T515 and have since added TWRP and custom ROM releases for three more tablets that I do have. I've been waiting for someone who actually has the hardware for testing builds to pick up the TWRP project for this device, but no one has stepped up. Are you volunteering?

BTW, I have a regular full-time job as a CS teacher, a side hustle as mobile development lead for a data analytics startup, and am finishing my master's degree. There's only so much time that I can set aside for this hobby.

MystralF

Apr 24, 2016
    im trying to flash the the latest release via odin but i always get a FAIL, Boot loader is unlocked, im running 10 on t510n. any hints what i should could do?

Reactions: xrva420

Magendanz

• Mar 25, 2008
    Issaquah, WA
    www.Vote4Chad.com
    Bricked my tablet, Good job! Stuck on Splash screen! Baltic SM-T515, threw the tablet in the trash because R.I.P
    Okay, that's decided it. I'm scrubbing this thread of any reference to the SM-T515. You'll need to find someone to build TWRP for that model who actually has hardware on hand for testing.

BTW, your device is not bricked. Just download the latest OEM firmware and flash with Odin to restore. Hold Power + Vol Down for 7 seconds to hard reset and then Vol Up & Vol Down (with USB cable connected) to enter Download mode.

Last edited:

xrva420

Dec 11, 2020
    Okay, that's decided it. I'm scrubbing this thread of any reference to the SM-T515. You'll need to find someone to build TWRP for that model who actually has hardware for testing.

BTW, your device is not bricked. Just download the latest OEM firmware and flash with Odin to restore. Hold Power + Vol Down for 7 seconds to hard reset and then Vol Up & Vol Down (with USB cable connected) to enter Download mode.
    it still goes into twrp after doing vol up and vol down, i can only get into download mode by pressing both buttons and connecting the cable, but first i need to drain it.

xrva420

Dec 11, 2020
    Okay, that's decided it. I'm scrubbing this thread of any reference to the SM-T515. You'll need to find someone to build TWRP for that model who actually has hardware on hand for testing.

Dont remove it, i can test it. I may have installed the wrong version.

Magendanz

• Mar 25, 2008
    Issaquah, WA
    www.Vote4Chad.com
    it still goes into twrp after doing vol up and vol down, i can only get into download mode by pressing both buttons and connecting the cable, but first i need to drain it.
    I thought that at first when I got in this state with my SM-T510 during development, but it's really just a matter of getting the timing down. You need to hold the Power + Vol Down for exactly 7 seconds and then switch to Vol Up + Vol Down as it's restarting. Might take a few tries.
    Dont remove it, i can test it. I may have installed the wrong version.
    Too late. It's gone. Been looking for an excuse to drop the SM-T515 for a while now and you just gave it to me. A link to the device tree is still posted, though, if you want to give it a go yourself.

Last edited:
    Reactions: AlmostIdiot

AlmostIdiot

Jan 19, 2014
    In twrp's reboot menu, you should be able to see an option where it says "reboot to download", it may say other thing, but I'm almost sure that the option exist. Can't test right now as I'm back on stock with bootloader locked.

xrva420

Dec 11, 2020
    In twrp's reboot menu, you should be able to see an option where it says "reboot to download", it may say other thing, but I'm almost sure that the option exist. Can't test right now as I'm back on stock with bootloader locked.
    twrp is stuck on splash screen, no way to enter it.

xrva420

Dec 11, 2020
    I thought that at first when I got in this state with my SM-T510 during development, but it's really just a matter of getting the timing down. You need to hold the Power + Vol Down for exactly 7 seconds and then switch to Vol Up + Vol down as it's restarting. Might take a few tries.
    I tried so many times i cant count, my fingers hurt, their about to fall off or something.

Magendanz

• Mar 25, 2008
    Issaquah, WA
    www.Vote4Chad.com
    You gotta do like you said, hold the two volume buttons while plugging in the cable. If there are no prompts to follow on screen you can load Odin on your PC right away and flash TWRP again or even go back to stock.
    I think that old version of TWRP for SM-T515 still has the bug where it hangs on launch when it sees file-based encryption. You're just going to have to get the timing right on the hard reset to Download mode or wait for the battery to drain (which could take a week).

xrva420

Dec 11, 2020
    I think that old version of TWRP for SM-T515 still has the bug where it hangs on launch when it sees file-based encryption. You're just going to have to get the timing right on the hard reset to Download mode or wait for the battery to drain (which could take a week).
    Battery died after a night haha, my battery is in brand new condition though.

xrva420

Dec 11, 2020
    I INSTALLED A NEWER VERSION OF TWRP AND IT WORKED! WOOHOO! MY TABLET IS FINE NOW!

Reactions: Clamtacos

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      twrp-featured.jpg

After @geiti94 and @ianmacd started the ball rolling for the Samsung Galaxy S10 series (Exynos 9820), it was really only a matter of time until we could do the same for the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (Exynos 7904). The kernel source was released last May, allowing me to build a custom kernel with many of the problematic Knox security features disabled. What's posted below is a work in progress, but it should suffice to unblock efforts to build custom ROMs for this impressive tablet.

Notes:
      • The current process requires you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
      • Custom kernels are specific to OEM releases, and rely on the latest posted kernel source (T510XXU4BUA1).
      • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't flash the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
      • Support for file-based encryption

Downloads:
      Build archives:

Change Log:
      v3.5.2_9-0:
      v3.5.1_9-0:
      • Updated to T510XXU4BUA1 posted kernel source.
      • Updated to TWRP 3.5.1 release built from android-9.0 branch.
      v3.5.0_9-0:
      • Updated to T510XXU3BTK1 posted kernel source.
      • Updated to TWRP 3.5.0 release built from android-9.0 branch.
      v3.4.0-0:
      • Updated to TWRP v3.4.0 source
      • Updated to latest custom kernel
      v3.3.1-7:
      v3.3.1-6:
      • Switched to .img file for installation from TWRP
      v3.3.1-5:
      • Fixed hang on splash with encrypted user data partition
      • Added OTA update (.zip) for installation from TWRP
      v3.3.1-4:
      • Fixed MTP support in a way that supports Magisk
      v3.3.1-3:
      • Fixed MTP support
      • Included boot image with custom kernel
      • Deprecated separate NoKnox releases
      v3.3.1-2:
      • Changed system partition mount point to /system_root
      • Fixed screen brightness control
      • Restored screen timeout

Instructions:
      From OEM stock firmware:
      • Unlock bootloader
      • Hold Vol Up & Vol Down buttons during restart to enter Download mode
      • Install TWRP to AP with Odin
      • Hold Power & Vol Up buttons during restart to enter TWRP recovery
      • Install latest Multidisabler from TWRP
      • Wipe->Format Data
      • Reboot to system
      From existing TWRP install: (No need for data wipe.)
      • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
      • Tap Install->Install Image, select your image (.img) file, pick Recovery partition, and then swipe to install
      • Reboot to system

What about rooting with Magisk?
      These images are not supplied pre-rooted with Magisk, since it's against the terms of use laid out by Magisk's developer, John Wu. To root the TWRP image yourself, simply use Magisk Manager to Select and Patch a File. More details on this process are available from @ianmacd's topic for the Galaxy S10 series here.

Source:

Donations:
      • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
      Hello.
      Source code of SM-T510 Android 10
      T510XXU3BTFN
      on https://opensource.samsung.com/uploadSearch
      ...and we just got a new drop of the AOSP 10 GSI. Please stand by...
      Just a quick update: Samsung posted the T515XXS3ASK5 source last night, so I expect T510XXS2ASK5 to follow soon. When that happens, I'll update TWRP for both the SM-T510 and SM-T515.
      As soon as kernel source is posted for T515XXS4ATE3, I'll post that too.

Downloads:
      SM-T510:

Change Log:
      v3.4.0-0:
      • Updated to TWRP v3.4.0 source
      I just released a TWRP build for the T510XXS3ATB4 kernel, which just had its source posted by Samsung today.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone