[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP 3.5.2 for 2019 Galaxy Tab A 10.1 [SM-T510]

Search This thread

wolfyj1

Mar 20, 2020
hesperia
I was trying the attached and was not able to load it with Odin it had a binay fault or something. Do I need to do something first? I have a Tab A 10.1 SM-T510 that is brand new with nothing on it. I have the bootloader unlocked and was in download mode. I dropped it and cracked the screen so now I need to get that fixed also.

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
I was trying the attached and was not able to load it with Odin it had a binay fault or something. Do I need to do something first? I have a Tab A 10.1 SM-T510 that is brand new with nothing on it. I have the bootloader unlocked and was in download mode. I dropped it and cracked the screen so now I need to get that fixed also.
What version of stock ROM do you have? This will only work with the ROM ending in BTH4.

wolfyj1

Mar 20, 2020
hesperia
That is the tablet's model number. Look under /Setting/Abput/Android version. Did you enable Developer mode and OEM?
Ok looks like the model is T510XXU3BTK1. The Developer option is on. The OEM unlocking is grayed out and says "Bootloader Already Unlocked". I also noticed that it is Android version 10 and I thought it was version 9 all along. Can Android 10 be rooted still?

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
Ok looks like the model is T510XXU3BTK1. The Developer option is on. The OEM unlocking is grayed out and says "Bootloader Already Unlocked". I also noticed that it is Android version 10 and I thought it was version 9 all along. Can Android 10 be rooted still?
Yes, Android 10 can be rooted, but your version might be too new to work with what is current for TWRP. Here is a link for BTH4 from Sammobile. That one is known to work.

wolfyj1

Mar 20, 2020
hesperia
Well I was able to get the TWRP installed. I did a complete WIPE, then rebooted into Recovery. Then I tried to flash the "no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0 then the no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1 zip files" and received a message that said "Updater process ended with ERROR: 1" Does this mean I am in the 7 day OEM jail? Can I continue trying to install Magisk?

Magendanz

• Mar 25, 2008
    Issaquah, WA
    www.Vote4Chad.com
    Well I was able to get the TWRP installed. I did a complete WIPE, then rebooted into Recovery. Then I tried to flash the "no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0 then the no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1 zip files" and received a message that said "Updater process ended with ERROR: 1" Does this mean I am in the 7 day OEM jail? Can I continue trying to install Magisk?
    Why are you installing no-verity-opt-encrypt? Use @ianmacd's latest Multidisabler instead. It includes the dm-verity fix and much more.

Last edited:

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
    i too am on the T510XXU3BTK1 firmware, is there any workaround for this so i can install twrp, could i flash lower rom to downgrade ? then flash the posted version of twrp? or d i need to wait for the latest version?
    I don't know if it will work or not. Newer tablets sometimes block flashing older ROMs. But you can still download the BTH4 ROM from Sammobile and try flashing it with Odin.

Sage

• Dec 12, 2005
    AU
    I don't know if it will work or not. Newer tablets sometimes block flashing older ROMs. But you can still download the BTH4 ROM from Sammobile and try flashing it with Odin.

tried downgrading to BTH4 and then to install TWRP. no love. Says no unofficial firmwares are allowed to be flashed even though my BL is unlocked.. :(

Sage

• Dec 12, 2005
    AU
    i too am on the T510XXU3BTK1 firmware, is there any workaround for this so i can install twrp, could i flash lower rom to downgrade ? then flash the posted version of twrp? or d i need to wait for the latest version?

see this post i got it working.

DAOWAce

Dec 5, 2019
    Anyone able to get SafetyNet to pass with this installed?

I've tried to use Magisk's props config and magiskhide but nothing I do seems to be working, and now I'm wondering if it's this TWRP install tripping it.

Magendanz

• Mar 25, 2008
    Issaquah, WA
    www.Vote4Chad.com
    So, a new release was just posted that uses the T510XXU3BTK1 kernel, but for future reference:

While not true initially, the tarball (.tar.md5) version now includes just the recovery and vbmeta partitions. This is the bare minimum to allow you to boot to recovery and from there TWRP will allow you to do anything else you need, such as running multidisabler. You can even update TWRP form the .img file, since at that point you've already replaced the vbmeta partition to disable Android Verified Boot.

Since TWRP includes its own kernel, it can run independently from whatever kernel you've got in the boot partition. So, you should now be able to install TWRP over pretty much any OEM firmware release, newer or older.

Reactions: avalx and waterpolo

eM-Ka

Mar 22, 2021
    New release just posted...

Downloads:
    Change Log:
    v3.5.1_9-0:

• Updated to T510XXU4BUA1 posted kernel source.
    • Updated to TWRP 3.5.1 release built from android-9.0 branch.
    Hi,
    I’ve sent my Tab A SM-T510 2019 Android 10 at the xth attempt to root it to last with TWRP 3. 3. 1-1 via ODIN into the beyond. It only boots up to the TWRP home screen, is there hope??? Can someone help me??? I have tested all possible key configurations. Always the same.
    Best regards
    Matthias

. . . is done, problem I solved!

Last edited:

KingCheetah

Feb 6, 2012
    Lynnwood
    Hey, just some notes to clear up any confusion about Magisk on the T510. The tablet doesn't have a ramdisk available for boot, so Magisk must be installed to the recovery partition. Below is a screenshot of Magisk Manager data from my own tablet:

Screenshot_20210326-132318.jpg

And per the Magisk installation instructions:
    Pay special attention to the Ramdisk info. If the result is Yes, congratulations, your device is perfect for installing Magisk! However, if the result is No this means your device’s boot partition does NOT include ramdisk. This means you will have to go through some extra steps to make Magisk work properly.

If your device does not have boot ramdisk, read the Magisk in Recovery section after installing. The information in that section is VERY important!

If you are using a Samsung device and the SAR result is Yes, please check its own section.
    If you are using a Huawei device and the SAR result is Yes, please check its own section.
    In order to boot into system with active Magisk, one has to essentially boot into recovery. From the Magisk in Recovery section (Bixby button references can be ignored):
    If your device does not have ramdisk in boot images, Magisk has no choice but to be installed in the recovery partition. For these devices, you will have to reboot to recovery every time you want Magisk.

When Magisk is installed in your recovery, you CANNOT use custom recoveries to install/upgrade Magisk! The only way to install/upgrade Magisk is through the Magisk app. It will be aware of your device state and install to the correct partition and reboot into the correct mode.

Since Magisk now hijacks the recovery of the device, there is a mechanism to let you actually boot into recovery mode when needed: it is determined by how long you press the recovery key combo.

Each device has its own key combo to boot into recovery, as an example for Galaxy S10 it is (Power + Bixby + Volume Up). A quick Google search should easily get you this info of your device. As soon as you press the combo and the device vibrates with a splash screen, release all buttons to boot into Magisk. If you decide to boot into actual recovery mode, continue to press volume up until you see the recovery screen.

After installing Magisk in recovery (starting from power off):
    • (Power up normally) → (System with NO Magisk)
    • (Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Release all buttons) → (System with Magisk)
    • (Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Keep pressing volume up) → (Recovery Mode)
    I can understand now why John Wu was spitting nails mad when Google switched to dynamic partitions with system-as-root: it completely effs up the architecture for rooting with Magisk. :mad: ☠️

I don't know why Google and manufacturers persist in making it messy to nigh-impossible for end users--who desire to do so--to have full control of their own devices. Stupid. Just stupid.😾 Usunoro...

(P.S. Since hardware attestation is used on the T510, SafetyNet won't pass, no matter what. There aren't any modules that can address this, given that hardware is being used for the evaluation. Another baka change! Also, I'm sticking with Pie since I can't stand Scoped Storage. Can't. Stand. It.)

Fur and Purrs --
    --
    King Cheetah

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      twrp-featured.jpg

After @geiti94 and @ianmacd started the ball rolling for the Samsung Galaxy S10 series (Exynos 9820), it was really only a matter of time until we could do the same for the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (Exynos 7904). The kernel source was released last May, allowing me to build a custom kernel with many of the problematic Knox security features disabled. What's posted below is a work in progress, but it should suffice to unblock efforts to build custom ROMs for this impressive tablet.

Notes:
      • The current process requires you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
      • Custom kernels are specific to OEM releases, and rely on the latest posted kernel source (T510XXU4BUA1).
      • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't flash the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
      • Support for file-based encryption

Downloads:
      Build archives:

Change Log:
      v3.5.2_9-0:
      v3.5.1_9-0:
      • Updated to T510XXU4BUA1 posted kernel source.
      • Updated to TWRP 3.5.1 release built from android-9.0 branch.
      v3.5.0_9-0:
      • Updated to T510XXU3BTK1 posted kernel source.
      • Updated to TWRP 3.5.0 release built from android-9.0 branch.
      v3.4.0-0:
      • Updated to TWRP v3.4.0 source
      • Updated to latest custom kernel
      v3.3.1-7:
      v3.3.1-6:
      • Switched to .img file for installation from TWRP
      v3.3.1-5:
      • Fixed hang on splash with encrypted user data partition
      • Added OTA update (.zip) for installation from TWRP
      v3.3.1-4:
      • Fixed MTP support in a way that supports Magisk
      v3.3.1-3:
      • Fixed MTP support
      • Included boot image with custom kernel
      • Deprecated separate NoKnox releases
      v3.3.1-2:
      • Changed system partition mount point to /system_root
      • Fixed screen brightness control
      • Restored screen timeout

Instructions:
      From OEM stock firmware:
      • Unlock bootloader
      • Hold Vol Up & Vol Down buttons during restart to enter Download mode
      • Install TWRP to AP with Odin
      • Hold Power & Vol Up buttons during restart to enter TWRP recovery
      • Install latest Multidisabler from TWRP
      • Wipe->Format Data
      • Reboot to system
      From existing TWRP install: (No need for data wipe.)
      • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
      • Tap Install->Install Image, select your image (.img) file, pick Recovery partition, and then swipe to install
      • Reboot to system

What about rooting with Magisk?
      These images are not supplied pre-rooted with Magisk, since it's against the terms of use laid out by Magisk's developer, John Wu. To root the TWRP image yourself, simply use Magisk Manager to Select and Patch a File. More details on this process are available from @ianmacd's topic for the Galaxy S10 series here.

Source:

Donations:
      • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
      Hello.
      Source code of SM-T510 Android 10
      T510XXU3BTFN
      on https://opensource.samsung.com/uploadSearch
      ...and we just got a new drop of the AOSP 10 GSI. Please stand by...
      Just a quick update: Samsung posted the T515XXS3ASK5 source last night, so I expect T510XXS2ASK5 to follow soon. When that happens, I'll update TWRP for both the SM-T510 and SM-T515.
      As soon as kernel source is posted for T515XXS4ATE3, I'll post that too.

Downloads:
      SM-T510:

Change Log:
      v3.4.0-0:
      • Updated to TWRP v3.4.0 source
      I just released a TWRP build for the T510XXS3ATB4 kernel, which just had its source posted by Samsung today.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone