[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP 3.5.2 for 2019 Galaxy Tab A 8.0 [SM-T290]

Search This thread

Magendanz

• Mar 25, 2008
    Issaquah, WA
    www.Vote4Chad.com
    twrp-featured.jpg

What's posted below is a work in progress, but it should suffice to unblock efforts to build custom ROMs for this low-cost tablet. My thanks to @mehanik6 for blazing this trail on 4PDA.

Notes:
    • The current process requires you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
    • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't flash the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
    • Support for file-based encryption

Downloads:
    Build Archives:
    Change Log:
    v3.5.2_9-0: (2021-05-16)
    • Updated to T290XXU3BUC1 posted kernel source.
    • Updated to TWRP 3.5.2 release built from android-9.0 branch.
    v3.5.1_9-0: (2021-03-30)
    • Updated to T290XXU3BUB2 posted kernel source.
    • Updated to TWRP 3.5.1 release built from android-9.0 branch.
    v3.5.0_9-0: (2021-01-02)
    • Updated to T290XXU3BTI2 posted kernel source.
    • Updated to TWRP 3.5.0 release built from android-9.0 branch.
    v3.4.0-1: (2000-12-09)
    • New custom T290XXS3ATC1 kernel that actually fixes MTP support.
    v3.4.0-0: (2000-12-04)
    • Included legacy aboot and vaultkeeper in tarball to allow Odin flash on Android 10 OEM firmware.
    v3.4.0-0:
    • Initial release based on @mehanik6's device tree and T290UES3ATC1 kernel.
    • Fixed MTP
    • Default language is now English

Instructions:
    From OEM stock firmware:
    From existing TWRP install: (No need for data wipe.)
    • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
    • Tap Install->Install Image, select your image (.img) file, pick Recovery partition, and then swipe to install
    • Reboot to system

What about rooting with Magisk?
    These images are not supplied pre-rooted with Magisk, since it's against the terms of use laid out by Magisk's developer, John Wu. To root the TWRP image yourself, simply use Magisk Manager to Select and Patch a File. More details on this process are available from @ianmacd's topic for the Galaxy S10 series here.

Source:

Donations:
    • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.

Last edited:
    Reactions: temporarium

dark_friend

Jan 13, 2021
    I have tried installing via Odin your twrp custom recovery for my t290 device.
    The process with Odin seem to go well and after installation my device restarts however, when I press the + volume button, android recovery shows up and not TWRP.
    Any idea why?

Magendanz

• Mar 25, 2008
    Issaquah, WA
    www.Vote4Chad.com
    I have tried installing via Odin your twrp custom recovery for my t290 device.
    The process with Odin seem to go well and after installation my device restarts however, when I press the + volume button, android recovery shows up and not TWRP.
    Any idea why?
    There are two issues here:
    1. The process of entering recovery on the SM-T290 using buttons is really finicky, unlike the 10.1" version. My best result has been with holding Power + Vol Up on startup, quickly switching to hit Power to dismiss the bootloader unlock warning page, and then immediately holding Power + Vol Up again for 6 seconds. (Holding longer will cause a hard reset.)
    2. If you miss on the first attempt and haven't installed Multidisabler, it will revert your custom recovery to the stock OEM recovery.
    So, try your best to get it right the first time, and don't be surprised if you end up with stock recovery if you mess up.

dark_friend

Jan 13, 2021
    1. The process of entering recovery on the SM-T290 using buttons is really finicky, unlike the 10.1" version. My best result has been with holding Power + Vol Up on startup, quickly switching to hit Power to dismiss the bootloader unlock warning page, and then immediately holding Power + Vol Up again for 6 seconds. (Holding longer will cause a hard reset.)
    2. If you miss on the first attempt and haven't installed Multidisabler, it will revert your custom recovery to the stock OEM recovery.
    So, try your best to get it right the first time, and don't be surprised if you end up with stock recovery if you mess up.
    Got it! thank you very much!

Last edited:

Heeni

• Dec 25, 2020
    Auckland NZ

Presumably, if you miss the first time, you reflash and try again? (and as many times as needed?)

Magendanz

• Mar 25, 2008
    Issaquah, WA
    www.Vote4Chad.com
    Presumably, if you miss the first time, you reflash and try again? (and as many times as needed?)
    If you miss, hold Power + Vol Down for 7 seconds during the boot animation to do a hard reset and try again. Alternatively, you can wait for it to finish booting and then restart, but then you risk Samsung's VaultKeeper "feature" putting the bootloader into a stealth locked state. You can prevent that by connecting to the Internet, enabling Developer Options, and then confirming the OEM Unlocking state as soon as you finish setup. (You don't need to log into Google or Samsung services for Vaultkeeper to maintain the bootloader unlock, but you've got to have Internet access and reenable Developer Options right away.)

Heeni

• Dec 25, 2020
    Auckland NZ
    Thanks for pointing out some of the potential potholes along the way. I'm not a stranger to modding, but have experience only with fastboot, so the Samsung method is a whole new ballgame for me. Maybe I just need to take a deep breath and jump in. And backup everything before starting.

Magendanz

• Mar 25, 2008
    Issaquah, WA
    www.Vote4Chad.com
    Thanks for pointing out some of the potential potholes along the way. I'm not a stranger to modding, but have experience only with fastboot, so the Samsung method is a whole new ballgame for me. Maybe I just need to take a deep breath and jump in. And backup everything before starting.
    Yeah, it never ceases to amaze me how Samsung believes it's adding value with Knox security features like Vaultkeeper and its special Download mode that only works with Odin. My main phone is a Pixel 4a, and I've never felt that Google has taken any flak for making bootloader unlocking and firmware flashing painless. Why does Samsung feel the need to reinvent the wheel?

Heeni

• Dec 25, 2020
    Auckland NZ
    Somewhat to my surprise, I was able to get TWRP installed and boot into it on the first try. :) In fact, the biggest difficulty by far was getting Samsung drivers to work in my Windows 10 vm. The vm is still having problems, so hopefully, now that TWRP is installed, I won't need to use Odin for a while.

Heeni

• Dec 25, 2020
    Auckland NZ
    Tried patching TWRP with Magisk. No bootloops or other drama, but wifi doesn't work. I notice on the Magisk Github site that a number of people are running into this. Fortunately, restoring the unpatched TWRP also restored wifi.

I think I can live without root much more easily than without wifi!

temporarium

May 16, 2012
    Tried patching TWRP with Magisk. No bootloops or other drama, but wifi doesn't work. I notice on the Magisk Github site that a number of people are running into this. Fortunately, restoring the unpatched TWRP also restored wifi.

I think I can live without root much more easily than without wifi!
    I have root and wifi, but didn't use the TWRP install method

Heeni

• Dec 25, 2020
    Auckland NZ
    Further to this post about the inability to set a password, PIN or pattern:

I reflashed the stock ROM and I can verify the following:-

Stock ROM with (or without) bootloader unlocked will allow me to set up a PIN (I didn't try the other options but would expect that they'd work.

As soon as I install TWRP, the stock ROM will no longer allow me to set up a PIN. I can have "swipe" or "nothing" to unlock, and that's it.

I've tried installing LineageOS 17 GSI, LineageOS 18 GSI and Magendanz's Nexus stock ROM. None of these will accept a PIN, password or pattern.

Therefore, I think that the issue has to do with TWRP, or possibly with something in the multidisabler script.

Googling has come up with nothing other than the instruction to remove /data/system/locksettings.db and related files. I've tried this numerous times without success. I've even tried comparing permissions and ownership with the (working) equivalent on my Moto phones, with no luck.

I'm happy to do any tests, provide logs etc if it would help. The only other alternative seems to be to revert to stock if I need to travel. :(

Wadzii

Mar 7, 2009
    I'm going to be using the table in an install that does not allow easy access to be able to use the physical buttons, if I lock the boot loader back after all this will it keep root?

I need root so that I can modify the files necessary to make the tablet turn on automatically whenever power is connected.

JCARLOS123

Mar 9, 2017
    Hello,
    I am new to TWRP. I have a couple of questions. What is the proper way to back up your rom? I mean what boxes should i check when creating a backup? Also, what is the proper way to do a wipe when I want to restore a backup of a rom? I find myself having to reflash the rom all over again when I try to restore a backup. The rom freezes on the google bootup icon with the bar going across every time I try to restore a backup. I notice that the google icon flickers when it is not going to bootup. I think it has something to do with what I select when I wipe before I restore the rom. I have installed twrp-3.5.0_9-0-T290XXU3BTI2-20210102.tar.md5, Nexus_Stock_AQ_T290XXS3BTL6-20210104, Magisk-v21.4. I love the ROM b the way. Thank You for your hard work. Very much appreciate any assistance.

Thank You,

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      hello, same issue with version 3.5.2_9_0
      i got a black screen, tablet is ok but no screen !
      is there a way to boot in TWRP ?
      I'm going to need some steps to reproduce, since it's been working fine for me.
      Tried to install TWRP from the OP, the process in Odin went fine, upon rebooting into recovery I get this (and I've made about 7-8 attempts to hard reset / reinstall / reboot to recovery). Does the message at the very bottom mean anything to anyone? Any help is appreciated.
      So, it looks like you let the device reboot to the OEM firmware after flashing TWRP, which allowed it to restore the original OEM recovery...yet another useful Samsung security "feature" that makes life difficult for custom ROM enthusiasts.

Try to flash in Odin again, but hold the Power + Vol Up during the reboot to force it to enter TWRP, then run the MultiDisabler to disable the automatic OEM recovery rollback. It's a little tricky through the bootloader unlock warning, where you have to hit Power to proceed, but get right back on Power + Vol ASAP and hold it for another 5 seconds or so.
      are there any custom roms for sm-t290?
      I'll have a release of my Nexus Stock custom ROM shortly. It's basically the same as what I've been releasing for the 10.1" version of this tablet over the past year. I'm basically just waiting for Samsung to post the latest kernel source.
      twrp-featured.jpg

What's posted below is a work in progress, but it should suffice to unblock efforts to build custom ROMs for this low-cost tablet. My thanks to @mehanik6 for blazing this trail on 4PDA.

Notes:
      • The current process requires you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
      • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't flash the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
      • Support for file-based encryption

Downloads:
      Build Archives:
      Change Log:
      v3.5.2_9-0: (2021-05-16)
      • Updated to T290XXU3BUC1 posted kernel source.
      • Updated to TWRP 3.5.2 release built from android-9.0 branch.
      v3.5.0_9-0: (2021-01-02)
      • Updated to T290XXU3BTI2 posted kernel source.
      • Updated to TWRP 3.5.0 release built from android-9.0 branch.
      v3.4.0-1: (2000-12-09)
      • New custom T290XXS3ATC1 kernel that actually fixes MTP support.
      v3.4.0-0: (2000-12-04)
      • Included legacy aboot and vaultkeeper in tarball to allow Odin flash on Android 10 OEM firmware.
      v3.4.0-0:
      • Initial release based on @mehanik6's device tree and T290UES3ATC1 kernel.
      • Fixed MTP
      • Default language is now English

Instructions:
      From OEM stock firmware:
      From existing TWRP install: (No need for data wipe.)
      • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
      • Tap Install->Install Image, select your image (.img) file, pick Recovery partition, and then swipe to install
      • Reboot to system

What about rooting with Magisk?
      These images are not supplied pre-rooted with Magisk, since it's against the terms of use laid out by Magisk's developer, John Wu. To root the TWRP image yourself, simply use Magisk Manager to Select and Patch a File. More details on this process are available from @ianmacd's topic for the Galaxy S10 series here.

Source:

Donations:
      • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
      New release posted...

Downloads:

Change Log:

Do we need to update the underlying stock ROM first if TWRP is already installed? Or is it sufficient to flash TWRP from the existing TWRP?
      You can just flash the new .img file from an existing TWRP install. The version of the kernel is only important if you're using Magisk (which boots through the recovery partition).
      But did it happen to someone else, after successful flash, the tablet only displays black screen no image, but in the background it works, as normal operation but displays no image.