• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP 3.5.2 for 2019 Galaxy Tab A 8.0 [SM-T290]

Search This thread

Viggen66

Mar 22, 2009
I have just received my brand new tablet, is for my kid, it came with Android 10 February security patch, I have being reading, to install TWRP and root afterwards, we need to firstly downgrade the bootloader and then install TWRP and root, where can I find those files and possibly a tutorial, btw this tablet is great gadget

Thanks

Viggen66

Mar 22, 2009
Followed instructions, installed this file which was exactly the same as my stock firmware, and only get a black screen but can gain access to mtp what is wrong with it? Don't tell me I have a bricked tablet.

Good news, that's why I have tried this twrp, doesn't change the bootloader, I managed to reinstall stock rom, luckly I already knew how to get it without seeing anything, owing to the black screen, pressing vol up, and so, but this twrp has issues, you only get black screen but at least it doesn't brick the tablet, don't know if this was due to disabling auto reboot, to make it easier to boot to twrp.

Btw is there any way to remove the annoying press power to continue after you unlock the bootloader

Last edited:

gcrutchr

Jun 11, 2009
Bangkok
Followed instructions, installed this file which was exactly the same as my stock firmware, and only get a black screen but can gain access to mtp what is wrong with it? Don't tell me I have a bricked tablet.

Good news, that's why I have tried this twrp, doesn't change the bootloader, I managed to reinstall stock rom, luckly I already knew how to get it without seeing anything, owing to the black screen, pressing vol up, and so, but this twrp has issues, you only get black screen but at least it doesn't brick the tablet, don't know if this was due to disabling auto reboot, to make it easier to boot to twrp.

Btw is there any way to remove the annoying press power to continue after you unlock the bootloader
I cannot address the twrp issues, but the press power key after unlocking bootloader cannot be removed. The code is in the bootloader.

Viggen66

Mar 22, 2009
But did it happen to someone else, after successful flash, the tablet only displays black screen no image, but in the background it works, as normal operation but displays no image.

Last edited:
Reactions: xompax
But did it happen to someone else, after successful flash, the tablet only displays black screen no image, but in the background it works, as normal operation but displays no image.
I too have this same problem. Just tried flashing the TWRP v3.5.1 to my brand new Costco (link) SM-T290NZKCXAR using Odin3 vs 3.14.4 by checking the AP box and putting the TWRP v3.5.1 in the original top post in text area. When it finished successfully, my screen turned on (backlight illuminated) but black and vibrates when touched. If I turn it off by holding the power button, it turns on again to this same state. Any thoughts or ideas appreciated and happy to answer questions or provide more details. thx in advance!

I too have this same problem. Just tried flashing the TWRP v3.5.1 to my brand new Costco (link) SM-T290NZKCXAR using Odin3 vs 3.14.4 by checking the AP box and putting the TWRP v3.5.1 in the original top post in text area. When it finished successfully, my screen turned on (backlight illuminated) but black and vibrates when touched. If I turn it off by holding the power button, it turns on again to this same state. Any thoughts or ideas appreciated and happy to answer questions or provide more details. thx in advance!
Use patched Odin. Also, I would (at same time) flash the aboot file in BL. I have flashed this (3.5.1_9-0-xxxx.tar) successfully (besides decryption) and rooted w/Magisk 21.4.

Will the multidisabler keep the device unencrypted??? I flashed fix_vendor_10.0 on mine as it is on A10, then format data (after reboot to recovery as it failed after the fix_vendor_10.0) and it did decrypt the data, but after flashing Magisk 21.4 (which worked, in manager app is says ramdisk>no but superuser works and mods flash) when I reboot into recovery it still prompts for swipe to enable system mods and is encrypted. . . . .

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
An important note about file-based encryption:

The standard Multidisabler from @ianmacd automatically changes the vstab to make encryption optional. While this is great for viewing files in TWRP, the OEM vendor partition for this particular device won't allow any kind of screen lock (e.g. PIN, password, swipe) if the userdata partition isn't encrypted.

Because of this, I'm now recommending that you install @SolidHal's version that maintains encryption which is available here.

With any luck, I'll have an update for TWRP at some point that supports Samsung's file-based encryption, but until then you'll be looking at folders and files on the userdata partition that aren't human-readable...but at least you'll be able to lock your device.

Reactions: Heeni

Heeni

Dec 25, 2020
Auckland NZ
For those of us who already have the no-encryption version, what's the best way to transition to using encryption? I'd prefer not to have to reinstall stock if I can help it.

Heeni

Dec 25, 2020
Auckland NZ
I've got the screenlock working!!! Thanks.

There was one extra step I needed to do. Which was to edit /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom (in TWRP) so that the original entry for /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/userdata was active - the one with fileencryption=ice. Formatted again, then rebooted, and was able to set up a PIN.

Are there any other items in that file which need changing, or should that be sufficient?

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
I've got the screenlock working!!! Thanks.

There was one extra step I needed to do. Which was to edit /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom (in TWRP) so that the original entry for /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/userdata was active - the one with fileencryption=ice. Formatted again, then rebooted, and was able to set up a PIN.

Are there any other items in that file which need changing, or should that be sufficient?
Yes, if you've already run the original Multidisabler, you'll need to revert the change to the fstab. The one from @SolidHal won't remove the forced encryption, but it won't restore it for you either.

Reactions: Heeni

tcintd

Sep 16, 2008
I'm going to need some steps to reproduce, since it's been working fine for me.

you can see attchments

so in download mode flash AP with odin 3.14 (no reboot)
power + VOL+ buttons
with adb devices, i saw my device in recovery mode but no screen .
my device is a Spanish tablet

to get it back work, i must flash AP + BL to stock, if i only flash the AP i keep the black screen.
perhaps there is a modification in the BL when i flash in TWRP ??

tell me if you want more information

Attachments

• 2021-05-23 11.43.53.jpg
    2021-05-23 11.43.53.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • 2021-05-23 18.34.52.jpg
    2021-05-23 18.34.52.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:

detroitredwings

Nov 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Tried to install TWRP from the OP, the process in Odin went fine, upon rebooting into recovery I get this (and I've made about 7-8 attempts to hard reset / reinstall / reboot to recovery). Does the message at the very bottom mean anything to anyone? Any help is appreciated.

Recovery.jpg

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
Tried to install TWRP from the OP, the process in Odin went fine, upon rebooting into recovery I get this (and I've made about 7-8 attempts to hard reset / reinstall / reboot to recovery). Does the message at the very bottom mean anything to anyone? Any help is appreciated.
So, it looks like you let the device reboot to the OEM firmware after flashing TWRP, which allowed it to restore the original OEM recovery...yet another useful Samsung security "feature" that makes life difficult for custom ROM enthusiasts.

Try to flash in Odin again, but hold the Power + Vol Up during the reboot to force it to enter TWRP, then run the MultiDisabler to disable the automatic OEM recovery rollback. It's a little tricky through the bootloader unlock warning, where you have to hit Power to proceed, but get right back on Power + Vol ASAP and hold it for another 5 seconds or so.

Reactions: detroitredwings

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    are there any custom roms for sm-t290?
    I'll have a release of my Nexus Stock custom ROM shortly. It's basically the same as what I've been releasing for the 10.1" version of this tablet over the past year. I'm basically just waiting for Samsung to post the latest kernel source.
    twrp-featured.jpg

What's posted below is a work in progress, but it should suffice to unblock efforts to build custom ROMs for this low-cost tablet. My thanks to @mehanik6 for blazing this trail on 4PDA.

Notes:
    • The current process requires you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
    • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't flash the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
    • Support for file-based encryption

Downloads:
    Build Archives:
    Change Log:
    v3.5.2_9-0: (2021-05-16)
    • Updated to T290XXU3BUC1 posted kernel source.
    • Updated to TWRP 3.5.2 release built from android-9.0 branch.
    v3.5.1_9-0: (2021-03-30)
    • Updated to T290XXU3BUB2 posted kernel source.
    • Updated to TWRP 3.5.1 release built from android-9.0 branch.
    v3.5.0_9-0: (2021-01-02)
    • Updated to T290XXU3BTI2 posted kernel source.
    • Updated to TWRP 3.5.0 release built from android-9.0 branch.
    v3.4.0-1: (2000-12-09)
    • New custom T290XXS3ATC1 kernel that actually fixes MTP support.
    v3.4.0-0: (2000-12-04)
    • Included legacy aboot and vaultkeeper in tarball to allow Odin flash on Android 10 OEM firmware.
    v3.4.0-0:
    • Initial release based on @mehanik6's device tree and T290UES3ATC1 kernel.
    • Fixed MTP
    • Default language is now English

Instructions:
    From OEM stock firmware:
    From existing TWRP install: (No need for data wipe.)
    • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
    • Tap Install->Install Image, select your image (.img) file, pick Recovery partition, and then swipe to install
    • Reboot to system

What about rooting with Magisk?
    These images are not supplied pre-rooted with Magisk, since it's against the terms of use laid out by Magisk's developer, John Wu. To root the TWRP image yourself, simply use Magisk Manager to Select and Patch a File. More details on this process are available from @ianmacd's topic for the Galaxy S10 series here.

Source:

Donations:
    • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
    New release posted...

Downloads:

Change Log:
    v3.5.1_9-0: (2021-03-30)

• Updated to T290XXU3BUB2 posted kernel source.
    • Updated to TWRP 3.5.1 release built from android-9.0 branch.
    Do we need to update the underlying stock ROM first if TWRP is already installed? Or is it sufficient to flash TWRP from the existing TWRP?
    You can just flash the new .img file from an existing TWRP install. The version of the kernel is only important if you're using Magisk (which boots through the recovery partition).