• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP 3.5.2_10 for Moto G 5G (kiev)

Search This thread

h3xmind

Oct 20, 2015
Moto G 5G
DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible if you brick or damage your phone in any way by using this recovery. It is always advisable to fully backup your phone before playing around with recoveries, custom roms and similar stuff.

What has been tested and works:

- Touchscreen
- Installing flashable zips
- Flashing images
- Flashing the recovery itself
- Creating backups (to internal storage, sdcard or OTG)
- Restoring from backups
- Terminal
- adb
- Rebooting to system, recovery, bootloader, ...

That doesn't mean that other things don't work. It just means they weren't tested yet. As I proceed with testing I will update the above list.

Usage (without flashing)
Bash:
# boot to bootloader
adb reboot bootloader

# boot to recovery
fastboot boot twrp-3.5.2_10-kiev.img

If you want to flash you have 2 options
Bash:
# boot to bootloader
adb reboot bootloader

# ********* OPTION 1  *********
# Flash to active slot (replace <slot> with either a or b, depending on the current active slot).
# Of course, you can flash to both by first specifying a and then b.
fastboot flash recovery_<slot> twrp-3.5.2_10-kiev.img

# ********* OPTION 2  *********
# boot to recovery

# Once in the recovery, copy the twrp image file to your internal storage
adb push twrp-3.5.2_10-kiev.img /sdcard/Download

# Then go to Install, then Install image, select the twrp image you pushed before.
# Then select the Recovery partition and swipe to confirm.
# Before swiping you will have the option to decide if you want to flash to both slots.

Download: google drive

Sources will be posted in due time and this post will be updated accordingly.

Built for: Motorola Moto G 5G (Motorla One 5G Ace)
My model: XT2113-3 (kiev)

Credits 👏🙏
To the guys over here for the device tree, especially to SyberHexen for providing me with useful information.

Last edited:

h3xmind

Oct 20, 2015
Moto G 5G
It shouldn't brick my device as long as I use it as a boot command and not flash, right? Is this associated with Hexen's version of unofficial twrp-3.5.2_10.0_BT-1.3??
By doing fastboot boot recovery.img you will not brick anything. However, I cannot guarantee for any of the functions in the recovery. They should be thoroughly tested before. I used it to fully backup my phone, I used the terminal and adb. Rebooting works, but I haven’t had a chance to test other functions.

Until now I didn’t even know that there’s already another twrp. I thought, judging by the posts in this forum, that there was a recovery in which the touchscreen didn’t work until you decrypted the filesystem with a password/PIN/…

I compiled the kernel by myself. I turned off some CONFIG_XYZ flags in order to be able to load the drivers that I manually extracted from my device. I packed the kernel in the recovery in which I modified some files in order to load the driver at the right point. I’ll post the full tutorial when I have time.

Last edited:
Reactions: PEACH-PIT

PEACH-PIT

Jan 22, 2018
By doing fastboot boot recovery.img you will not brick anything. However, I cannot guarantee for any of the functions in the recovery. They should be thoroughly tested before. I used it to fully backup my phone, I used the terminal and adb. Rebooting works, but I haven’t had a chance to test other functions.

Until now I didn’t even know that there’s already another twrp. I thought, judging by the posts in this forum, that there was a recovery in which the touchscreen didn’t work until you decrypted the filesystem with a password/PIN/…

I compiled the kernel by myself. I turned off some CONFIG_XYZ flags in order to be able to load the drivers that I manually extracted from my device. I packed the kernel in the recovery in which I modified some files in order to load the driver at the right point. I’ll post the full tutorial when I have time.
Hexen's released twrp is just that.
Since the touchscreen-related problems have not been completely fixed, only the source has been released.

The one released here is the first fully functional twrp.

h3xmind

Oct 20, 2015
Moto G 5G
Compile the zip for install, I will be the Gina pig for flashing lol.
I need to redo my phone anyway so it's no big deal.
Great to have guinea pigs LOL. Thanks for your help, man.
Here it is: google drive

Let me know how it goes. I would have tested it by myself, but if something goes wrong I don't have time today and tomorrow for fixing stuff and I really need my phone.

P.S.: I repeat something that I already stated before. I'm a developer with many years of experience in different fields, but this is my first project of this kind, so many of the things (including building this installer) are new to me.

Tomspector

Oct 14, 2018
I will do it now,
I would help
Great to have guinea pigs LOL. Thanks for your help, man.
Here it is: google drive

Let me know how it goes. I would have tested it by myself, but if something goes wrong I don't have time today and tomorrow for fixing stuff and I really need my phone.

P.S.: I repeat something that I already stated before. I'm a developer with many years of experience in different fields, but this is my first project of this kind, so many of the things (including building this installer) are new to me
I will do it now

h3xmind

Oct 20, 2015
Moto G 5G
It installs find but does not boot to it.
Installed this way
Ran fastboot boot twrp. Img
Then installed it while booted to twrp. Img
Zip says it installs fine but hangs during boot.
Mine is the metro version ace
Ok, thanks. I think the best thing is that I test it myself and fix it. I’ll post it when it works. Thank you for your willingness. I’ll remove the file from google drive.

h3xmind

Oct 20, 2015
Moto G 5G
I did not clear my data, I did not feel like redoing my phone today,
It may be that
Anyway, I flashed it by doing the following:

Bash:
# boot to bootloader
adb reboot bootloader

# boot to twrp

# push the recovery image to the Download folder

Once inside the recovery I went to Install, then Install image, once I selected the twrp-3.5.2_10-kiev.img file that I previously pushed, twrp asked me on which partition I would like to flash it. I selected the Recovery partition. (Although I ask myself why does the phone have a separate recovery partition if it is an A/B device. I still have to figure this out. :unsure: Normally in these devices one would have to pack the recovery into the boot imate and than flash the whole thing to the boot partition.)

Then I rebooted to recovery and it took me directly to twrp. (y) The problem, however, is that the touch screen didn't work anymore. So, I guess I got myself some extra work :cool: But it'll be fun. I can't wait to put my hands on it. :)

Did you manage to find the rom for your phone?

Last edited:

h3xmind

Oct 20, 2015
Moto G 5G
Hexen's released twrp is just that.
Since the touchscreen-related problems have not been completely fixed, only the source has been released.

The one released here is the first fully functional twrp.
I tried Hexen's recovery. It's easily fixable to make the touch work. It took me two minutes. I'll let the guys working on it know how to do it. But first I have to figure out why does the touch screen stop working once you flash the recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible if you brick or damage your phone in any way by using this recovery. It is always advisable to fully backup your phone before playing around with recoveries, custom roms and similar stuff.

What has been tested and works:

- Touchscreen
    - Installing flashable zips
    - Flashing images
    - Flashing the recovery itself
    - Creating backups (to internal storage, sdcard or OTG)
    - Restoring from backups
    - Terminal
    - adb
    - Rebooting to system, recovery, bootloader, ...

That doesn't mean that other things don't work. It just means they weren't tested yet. As I proceed with testing I will update the above list.

Usage (without flashing)
    Bash:
    # boot to bootloader
    adb reboot bootloader

# boot to recovery

If you want to flash you have 2 options
    Bash:
    # boot to bootloader
    adb reboot bootloader

# ********* OPTION 1  *********
    # Flash to active slot (replace <slot> with either a or b, depending on the current active slot).
    # Of course, you can flash to both by first specifying a and then b.
    fastboot flash recovery_<slot> twrp-3.5.2_10-kiev.img

# ********* OPTION 2  *********
    # boot to recovery

# Once in the recovery, copy the twrp image file to your internal storage

# Then go to Install, then Install image, select the twrp image you pushed before.
    # Then select the Recovery partition and swipe to confirm.
    # Before swiping you will have the option to decide if you want to flash to both slots.

Download: google drive

Sources will be posted in due time and this post will be updated accordingly.

Built for: Motorola Moto G 5G (Motorla One 5G Ace)
    My model: XT2113-3 (kiev)

Credits 👏🙏
    To the guys over here for the device tree, especially to SyberHexen for providing me with useful information.
    Why's it seem like some people make it so hard?

I did
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot devices
    fastboot flash recovery_a twrp.img
    fastboot flash recovery_b twrp.img
    Fastboot reboot recovery

Flashed find everything works! At least that I've noticed and ran through as of yet. Great work thank you
    I use LTE/4G sim only and i recieve texts fine. Altough it might be because of sim as you said.

Here are the few sites i gathered and read that might help you solve this :

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3

It looks like it has something to do with your carrier settings/CDMA-less when you change your phone.Try contacting your carrier.
    If nothing works, replace your sim with new one i guess.
    This fixed my problem. I contacted Verizon and they enabled the setting. Did it all through their chat feature on their website. Off to root it again.
    I still did not have texting after using LMSA and I think I may know why: My previous phone is not 5G so I am using the standard LTE SIM card. This new phone, the XT2113-2, is 5G and I'm thinking I may need a new SIM card in order to use it. Does this make sense to anyone else? (and I apologize in advance if I am late to the parade with this info)
    I use LTE/4G sim only and i recieve texts fine. Altough it might be because of sim as you said.

Here are the few sites i gathered and read that might help you solve this :

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3

It looks like it has something to do with your carrier settings/CDMA-less when you change your phone.Try contacting your carrier.
    If nothing works, replace your sim with new one i guess.
    Tested on my Moto G 5G XT2113-3. Seems to work properly. Good job. Awaiting to flash it.