• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP 3.5.2_10 for Moto G 5G (kiev)

Search This thread

Tomspector

Oct 14, 2018
I
Anyway, I flashed it by doing the following:

Bash:
# boot to bootloader
adb reboot bootloader

# boot to twrp
fastboot boot twrp-3.5.2_10-kiev.img

# push the recovery image to the Download folder
adb push twrp-3.5.2_10-kiev.img /sdcard/Download

Once inside the recovery I went to Install, then Install image, once I selected the twrp-3.5.2_10-kiev.img file that I previously pushed, twrp asked me on which partition I would like to flash it. I selected the Recovery partition. (Although I ask myself why does the phone have a separate recovery partition if it is an A/B device. I still have to figure this out. :unsure: Normally in these devices one would have to pack the recovery into the boot imate and than flash the whole thing to the boot partition.)

Then I rebooted to recovery and it took me directly to twrp. (y) The problem, however, is that the touch screen didn't work anymore. So, I guess I got myself some extra work :cool: But it'll be fun. I can't wait to put my hands on it. :)

Did you manage to find the rom for your phone?
There was an update the other day, I want to use the latest rom, I have the last rom from the link you sent already, I just wanted not to do it again lol
Yea Yea I am lazy, I work with code all week and don't wanna on the weekends
Thanks for the link though.

Reactions: h3xmind

fosgate3

Aug 16, 2013
Moto G 5G
I was able to flash TWRP fine but for some reason, I cannot install SU or Magisk. I tried both and I get "error creating fstab" each time. I feel pretty certain I'm doing something wrong. I be pretty new to this.

20210612_181450.jpg

fosgate3

Aug 16, 2013
Moto G 5G
It's not you the file has errors and is not done yet.
You got further than I did
Well, I actually got it rooted but I ended up using Magisk. I used the Magisk zip file found here and moved it into the phone's internal storage. Then I booted into TWRP and installed the zip just like it was. Everything installed fine and according to root checker, I am rooted. :) This was on a Motorola One 5G Ace (aka Moto G 5G), XT2113-2.

Tomspector

Oct 14, 2018
Well, I actually got it rooted but I ended up using Magisk. I used the Magisk zip file found here and moved it into the phone's internal storage. Then I booted into TWRP and installed the zip just like it was. Everything installed fine and according to root checker, I am rooted. :) This was on a Motorola One 5G Ace (aka Moto G 5G), XT2113-2.
Nice, so how did you flash twrp?
I have the same phone as you.
Xt2113-2

fosgate3

Aug 16, 2013
Moto G 5G
Nice, so how did you flash twrp?
I have the same phone as you.
Xt2113-2
Pre-First: I turned on developer options and usb debugging, then unlocked my bootloader.
First: I downloaded and installed the USB drivers from Motorola, then downloaded ADB drivers, SDK Tools, and the TWRP img file associated with this thread.

Second: I extracted the file packages for each ADB drivers and the SDK Tools file to my Downloads folder.

Third: I created an easily accessible folder on my C:\ drive. I called it AndroidADB and put all the ADB files and the SDK Tools files in it. I also put the TWRP file downloaded from here into the same folder and renamed it to TWRP.

Fourth: I downloaded Magisk from the link I provided in the previous post (this link).

Fifth: I moved the downloaded (and unzipped) Magisk file to the phone's internal storage. Just double-clicked the phone in my computer and pasted it there).

Sixth: I connected my phone and booted to fastboot (Power off, hold power and volume down button until the fastboot screen appears)

Seventh: Once that was done, I opened a command prompt with administrator privileges (I run Win10 Pro 64bit), then entered the following commands:

cd C:\AndroidADB

fastboot devices

fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

Eighth: After that, there should be some verification in the ADB window on the computer that the image was flashed. When I saw that, I used the volume up button to boot into recovery mode. TWRP loaded at that point.

Ninth: Select Install and the screen showed all the files I had on the phone. I selected the Magisk zip file I put on there. It installed it completely. I can't remember if it rebooted on its own or if I had to instruct it to but either way, it rebooted.

Tenth (and last step): I went to the Google Play Store, downloaded, and installed Root Checker. I ran it and it indicated I was rooted.

I hope this works for you.

fosgate3

Aug 16, 2013
Moto G 5G
I may have spoken too soon. For some reason, my texting feature isn't working correctly. I have the ability to send but apparently not the ability to receive. I sent a text earlier and never heard from the person. 30 mins later, I put the SIM in another android phone I use as a spare and found that the person received the text and replied. I just never saw a reply.

Last edited:

h3xmind

Oct 20, 2015
Moto G 5G
Pre-First: I turned on developer options and usb debugging, then unlocked my bootloader.
First: I downloaded and installed the USB drivers from Motorola, then downloaded ADB drivers, SDK Tools, and the TWRP img file associated with this thread.

Second: I extracted the file packages for each ADB drivers and the SDK Tools file to my Downloads folder.

Third: I created an easily accessible folder on my C:\ drive. I called it AndroidADB and put all the ADB files and the SDK Tools files in it. I also put the TWRP file downloaded from here into the same folder and renamed it to TWRP.

Fourth: I downloaded Magisk from the link I provided in the previous post (this link).

Fifth: I moved the downloaded (and unzipped) Magisk file to the phone's internal storage. Just double-clicked the phone in my computer and pasted it there).

Sixth: I connected my phone and booted to fastboot (Power off, hold power and volume down button until the fastboot screen appears)

Seventh: Once that was done, I opened a command prompt with administrator privileges (I run Win10 Pro 64bit), then entered the following commands:

fastboot devices

Eighth: After that, there should be some verification in the ADB window on the computer that the image was flashed. When I saw that, I used the volume up button to boot into recovery mode. TWRP loaded at that point.

Ninth: Select Install and the screen showed all the files I had on the phone. I selected the Magisk zip file I put on there. It installed it completely. I can't remember if it rebooted on its own or if I had to instruct it to but either way, it rebooted.

Tenth (and last step): I went to the Google Play Store, downloaded, and installed Root Checker. I ran it and it indicated I was rooted.

Great to hear it worked. Do you have password or PIN protection on your phone? If yes, when you booted to recovery did the touchscreen work? Because yesterday I tried to flash and the touchscreen didn't work. So, if I flash it doesn't work, if I just boot into it, it works. I already have an idea what could be the problem and if I'm right it's easily fixable. I'm just curious to know if you had the same issues.

EDIT: the touchscreen issue was solved. It never existed. I flashed the wrong file :D

Last edited:
Reactions: atsalchenberg

h3xmind

Oct 20, 2015
Moto G 5G
I was able to flash TWRP fine but for some reason, I cannot install SU or Magisk. I tried both and I get "error creating fstab" each time. I feel pretty certain I'm doing something wrong. I be pretty new to this.

View attachment 5336865
Thanks for your feedback. It might be that the unzip binary is not included in the release, although this would be strange since I tested flashing zips and it worked. I'll verify and fix if needed.

EDIT: I checked and the unzip binary is there as expected. In fact, you managed to install the other zip just fine. Therefore I'm not sure why the NO UNZIP warning.

EDIT 2: According to this installing Magisk through recovery is not recommended anymore. I'm not there yet since I first need to thoroughly test some other features of the recovery. But I'll get into installing Magisk asap and update.

Last edited:

Tomspector

Oct 14, 2018
Can someone confirm if this has been tested on model XT2113-2 Kiev?
Read the post above yours.
Mine is xt2113-2 metro pcs
It installs fine, but does not boot to it.
If you run it from fastboot
"Fastboot boot twrp.img it works fine."
I tested what I could while running it everything works for me.
The issue is problems when it's installed.
While in fastboot boot twrp. Img
I installed twrp.zip
I renamed the file to twrp.zip if your wondering.
It installs fine, will not boot to twrp, but boots to the system fine.

Android version
QZKS30.Q4-40-55-4

Last edited:

Tomspector

Oct 14, 2018
Read the post above yours.
Mine is xt2113-2 metro pcs
It installed fine, but does not boot to it.
If you run it from fastboot
"Fastboot boot twrp.img it works fine."
I tested what I could while running it everything works for me.
The issue is problems when it's installed.
While in fastboot boot twrp. Img
I installed twrp.zip
I renamed the file to twrp.zip if your wondering.
It installs find will not boot to twrp, but boots to the system fine.
For those asking the latest magisk installs fine you just have to rename magisk.apk to magisk.zip to install it

Tomspector

Oct 14, 2018

fastboot devices

Thanks.
According to the twrp website your supposed to install twrp.zip while running from within twrp.img
Fastboot boot twrp.img
Then install twrp.zip.
Here is the link
The phone is different but instructions are the same.

fosgate3

Aug 16, 2013
Moto G 5G
Great to hear it worked. Do you have password or PIN protection on your phone? If yes, when you booted to recovery did the touchscreen work? Because yesterday I tried to flash and the touchscreen didn't work. So, if I flash it doesn't work, if I just boot into it, it works. I already have an idea what could be the problem and if I'm right it's easily fixable. I'm just curious to know if you had the same issues.
The touchscreen worked fine for me and I don't have a PIN/password. The problem I had was with texting: I can send but I don't receive.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible if you brick or damage your phone in any way by using this recovery. It is always advisable to fully backup your phone before playing around with recoveries, custom roms and similar stuff.

What has been tested and works:

- Touchscreen
    - Installing flashable zips
    - Flashing images
    - Flashing the recovery itself
    - Creating backups (to internal storage, sdcard or OTG)
    - Restoring from backups
    - Terminal
    - adb
    - Rebooting to system, recovery, bootloader, ...

That doesn't mean that other things don't work. It just means they weren't tested yet. As I proceed with testing I will update the above list.

Usage (without flashing)
    Bash:
    # boot to bootloader
    adb reboot bootloader

# boot to recovery

If you want to flash you have 2 options
    Bash:
    # boot to bootloader
    adb reboot bootloader

# ********* OPTION 1  *********
    # Flash to active slot (replace <slot> with either a or b, depending on the current active slot).
    # Of course, you can flash to both by first specifying a and then b.
    fastboot flash recovery_<slot> twrp-3.5.2_10-kiev.img

# ********* OPTION 2  *********
    # boot to recovery

# Once in the recovery, copy the twrp image file to your internal storage
    adb push twrp-3.5.2_10-kiev.img /sdcard/Download

# Then go to Install, then Install image, select the twrp image you pushed before.
    # Then select the Recovery partition and swipe to confirm.
    # Before swiping you will have the option to decide if you want to flash to both slots.

Download: google drive

Sources will be posted in due time and this post will be updated accordingly.

Built for: Motorola Moto G 5G (Motorla One 5G Ace)
    My model: XT2113-3 (kiev)

Credits 👏🙏
    To the guys over here for the device tree, especially to SyberHexen for providing me with useful information.
    Why's it seem like some people make it so hard?

I did
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot devices
    fastboot flash recovery_a twrp.img
    fastboot flash recovery_b twrp.img
    Fastboot reboot recovery

Flashed find everything works! At least that I've noticed and ran through as of yet. Great work thank you
    I use LTE/4G sim only and i recieve texts fine. Altough it might be because of sim as you said.

Here are the few sites i gathered and read that might help you solve this :

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3

It looks like it has something to do with your carrier settings/CDMA-less when you change your phone.Try contacting your carrier.
    If nothing works, replace your sim with new one i guess.
    This fixed my problem. I contacted Verizon and they enabled the setting. Did it all through their chat feature on their website. Off to root it again.
    I still did not have texting after using LMSA and I think I may know why: My previous phone is not 5G so I am using the standard LTE SIM card. This new phone, the XT2113-2, is 5G and I'm thinking I may need a new SIM card in order to use it. Does this make sense to anyone else? (and I apologize in advance if I am late to the parade with this info)
    I use LTE/4G sim only and i recieve texts fine. Altough it might be because of sim as you said.

Here are the few sites i gathered and read that might help you solve this :

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3

It looks like it has something to do with your carrier settings/CDMA-less when you change your phone.Try contacting your carrier.
    If nothing works, replace your sim with new one i guess.
    Tested on my Moto G 5G XT2113-3. Seems to work properly. Good job. Awaiting to flash it.