• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP 3.5.2_10 for Moto G 5G (kiev)

Search This thread

clintongsan

Jun 5, 2019
Fort Smith, Arkansas, US
Guys, I updated the first post with the instructions on how to flash. Tested on my model (XT2113-3) and everything works as expected, touchscreen included. Let me know if it works with XT2113-2. Thanks
I think you, if you didn't intend to do anything malicious that is, I think you might've accidentally included code that is specific to your personal device, dude. My phone began acting like it was cloned, as well as it was an international model. Where did you acquire your international device from? Best Buy? I'm having the same issues as others without knowing there were any issues yet....please tell me this is accidental. ALso, disabling my mobile data and VPN and running an IP route showed me pinging from San Jose, CA, far away from where I'm actually located. It's now back to normal but I still have all of my logs saved from right before I began to erase and start all over.

fosgate3

Aug 16, 2013
Moto G 5G
Did you have any issues with calls? Any weird entries that are new such as SIM 2 showing up in Phone Information (*#*#4636#*#*) or *#06#? Anything strange in your prop values if you access adb shell getprop? (If you're unfamiliar with getprop then it'll probably all look strange so nevermind the last part haha) Maybe you can help me understand where I'm misguided or confused here...giving the benefit of the doubt just got a lot harder after seeing that you, too, have had issues with connectivity. Watch your data, check your SMS usage for that 222-224-4444 number and/or data usage during times that you know you were asleep/working/not using data extensively.
Not that I know of. Once I saw that I couldn't receive texts, I pulled the SIM and put it back in my spare. I'll use LMSA and rescue the phone. Thanks for pointing it out.

fosgate3

Aug 16, 2013
Moto G 5G
I still did not have texting after using LMSA and I think I may know why: My previous phone is not 5G so I am using the standard LTE SIM card. This new phone, the XT2113-2, is 5G and I'm thinking I may need a new SIM card in order to use it. Does this make sense to anyone else? (and I apologize in advance if I am late to the parade with this info)

Last edited:

h3xmind

Oct 20, 2015
Moto G 5G
I think you, if you didn't intend to do anything malicious that is, I think you might've accidentally included code that is specific to your personal device, dude. My phone began acting like it was cloned, as well as it was an international model. Where did you acquire your international device from? Best Buy? I'm having the same issues as others without knowing there were any issues yet....please tell me this is accidental. ALso, disabling my mobile data and VPN and running an IP route showed me pinging from San Jose, CA, far away from where I'm actually located. It's now back to normal but I still have all of my logs saved from right before I began to erase and start all over.
Thanks for your feedback and I'm sorry you have these issues. If anything personal was added it was absolutely accidental. But as I explain below I really doubt that this happened due to the recovery.

I really doubt a recovery could have such an impact on the system. It runs separately from the system and is stored on a separate partition (if you flashed it) and does not write any prop on your phone. The things from the recovery run only and only when in recovery. When you are in system, no things from the recovery run.

I built the twrp with the same device tree as the other twrp you can find on telegram. No personal stuff involved. When you build the recovery the PC doesn't know anything about your phone except from the information it has from the device tree. And I used the same device tree as the other twrp recovery. So the PC has no idea that my device is international. It has no idea that I even have a motorola.

I recompiled the kernel by myself in order to allow loading unsigned modules (needed to make the touchscreen work). I used the kernel provided by Motorola. That’s the only difference. But the kernel used when running the system is different from the kernel in recovery. The kernel I compiled runs only when in recovery. The "[ro.build.host]: [h3xmind-SATELLITE-L850-16V]" stuff you see when you do getprop is just the model of my old Toshiba laptop. No real satellites are involved. :)

If you do getprop on the twrp from telegram you will also see some "personal" information of it's developer, like the name of the computer he used and so on. This is normal. I diffed the two outputs and there is no big difference, except that in mine you will find h3xmind a few times and in his you'll find syber. That's it.

I bought my phone on Amazon in Europe. Pinging depends on your ISP. If it depended on any setting from my phone you would get a location from Europe. But anyway, I'll verify if there is any possibility that this is caused by the recovery.

Can you explain more in details exactly what you did? Did you flash the recovery? Did you root your phone afterwards?

Last edited:

codeOps64

Jun 10, 2021
I still did not have texting after using LMSA and I think I may know why: My previous phone is not 5G so I am using the standard LTE SIM card. This new phone, the XT2113-2, is 5G and I'm thinking I may need a new SIM card in order to use it. Does this make sense to anyone else? (and I apologize in advance if I am late to the parade with this info)
I use LTE/4G sim only and i recieve texts fine. Altough it might be because of sim as you said.

Here are the few sites i gathered and read that might help you solve this :

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

It looks like it has something to do with your carrier settings/CDMA-less when you change your phone.Try contacting your carrier.
If nothing works, replace your sim with new one i guess.

Last edited:

h3xmind

Oct 20, 2015
Moto G 5G
Yeah, you flashed this guys TWRP...or booted it. I know, that's a smart answer but I too ran into some seriously eyebrow raising issues after testing this TWRP, thinking I was being helpful.
I know have a permanent block from accessing *#06#
If I re-enable the default Dialer app I can get it, but now I see a permanent new entry thats labeled:
MDN (my phone number)
This seriously angers me because these, along with my data consumption being raised, in one day to over five times my daily usage and strange ingoing/outgoing texts to a 222-224-4444 number taking place over and over in the early AM hours while I was for sure asleep, are very serious concerns that perhaps there's some level of unauthorized access going on...I DO NOT KNOW THAT FOR SURE, THOUGH...NOT YET.
I had to erase EVERYTHING and use LMSA but be careful if you don't feel comfortable erasing just use LMSA and start over with root/twrp. Use AndrewHexen's TWRP from the official Telegram channel.
I’m really sorry you have issues but I have to ask: would you mind explainin what does the recovery have to do with SMS or phone number entries? Your’s are some serious allegations. I’m really sorry you have issues but it is not fair to throw mud on other’s work
ike this. Are you absolutely sure that the source of your issues is in the twrp? Could you recount the whole story please? What exactly did you do with your phone? Could you provide the steps? Did you install anything after flashing the recovery? Did you visit any dubious websites? This would be helpful to see what can be done to solve those issues.

Developer’s here are not paid for any of the work. We sacrifice time and efforts to help the community. Bugs will always exist and feedback is welcome. Constructive feedback, not unfounded allegations.

Reactions: fosgate3

fosgate3

Aug 16, 2013
Moto G 5G
I use LTE/4G sim only and i recieve texts fine. Altough it might be because of sim as you said.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

It looks like it has something to do with your carrier settings/CDMA-less when you change your phone.Try contacting your carrier.
This fixed my problem. I contacted Verizon and they enabled the setting. Did it all through their chat feature on their website. Off to root it again.

fosgate3

Aug 16, 2013
Moto G 5G
This fixed my problem. I contacted Verizon and they enabled the setting. Did it all through their chat feature on their website. Off to root it again.
I followed the same steps to root as I did yesterday and today, when I try to flash TWRP, it fails with the message "(bootloader) Invalid partition name recover"

Anyone know what this means and how to get around it?

fosgate3

Aug 16, 2013
Moto G 5G
Anyway, I found out (thanks to Andrew Hexen) that the phone has two recoveries, therefore you have to specify which one you want to flash to. Not sure what happens if you don't specify. Anyway, backup the partitions before playing with them.
I think it goes to a, by default. When I just did it, I simply typed "fastboot recovery twrp.img" and it worked fine. Magisk is now installed and the phone is rooted. If I can just get rid of the bootloader warning, that would be great. I tried doing this yesterday using a couple of logos someone on here made for the phone and the command "fastboot logo logo.bin" but I still ended up having the warning and the logo image was smaller than my screen.

Reactions: h3xmind

h3xmind

Oct 20, 2015
Moto G 5G
I think it goes to a, by default. When I just did it, I simply typed "fastboot recovery twrp.img" and it worked fine. Magisk is now installed and the phone is rooted. If I can just get rid of the bootloader warning, that would be great. I tried doing this yesterday using a couple of logos someone on here made for the phone and the command "fastboot logo logo.bin" but I still ended up having the warning and the logo image was smaller than my screen.
Glad it worked. Do you still encounter any issues with sending text or other things?

I'm not sure how to change that annoying warning. Never tried that. But if you do find a solution, please share it with us.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible if you brick or damage your phone in any way by using this recovery. It is always advisable to fully backup your phone before playing around with recoveries, custom roms and similar stuff.

What has been tested and works:

- Touchscreen
    - Installing flashable zips
    - Flashing images
    - Flashing the recovery itself
    - Creating backups (to internal storage, sdcard or OTG)
    - Restoring from backups
    - Terminal
    - adb
    - Rebooting to system, recovery, bootloader, ...

That doesn't mean that other things don't work. It just means they weren't tested yet. As I proceed with testing I will update the above list.

Usage (without flashing)
    Bash:
    # boot to bootloader
    adb reboot bootloader

# boot to recovery
    fastboot boot twrp-3.5.2_10-kiev.img

If you want to flash you have 2 options
    Bash:
    # boot to bootloader
    adb reboot bootloader

# ********* OPTION 1  *********
    # Flash to active slot (replace <slot> with either a or b, depending on the current active slot).
    # Of course, you can flash to both by first specifying a and then b.
    fastboot flash recovery_<slot> twrp-3.5.2_10-kiev.img

# ********* OPTION 2  *********
    # boot to recovery
    fastboot boot twrp-3.5.2_10-kiev.img

# Once in the recovery, copy the twrp image file to your internal storage
    adb push twrp-3.5.2_10-kiev.img /sdcard/Download

# Then go to Install, then Install image, select the twrp image you pushed before.
    # Then select the Recovery partition and swipe to confirm.
    # Before swiping you will have the option to decide if you want to flash to both slots.

Download: google drive

Sources will be posted in due time and this post will be updated accordingly.

Built for: Motorola Moto G 5G (Motorla One 5G Ace)
    My model: XT2113-3 (kiev)

Credits 👏🙏
    To the guys over here for the device tree, especially to SyberHexen for providing me with useful information.
    Why's it seem like some people make it so hard?

I did
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot devices
    fastboot flash recovery_a twrp.img
    fastboot flash recovery_b twrp.img
    Fastboot reboot recovery

Flashed find everything works! At least that I've noticed and ran through as of yet. Great work thank you

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3

Tested on my Moto G 5G XT2113-3. Seems to work properly. Good job. Awaiting to flash it.