[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL]TWRP 3.6.0 for 2020 Galaxy Tab A7 10.4[SM-T500]

Search This thread

craaziik

Feb 5, 2022
There is a fix and that is a driver for it, search up something like "fastboot not detected fix" on YouTube where the solution is to install a driver. 😁
alright it works but now the problem is when i try to do the kernel change twrp freezes and it starts again
edit: it now doesnt crash but it puts an error ¨Error installing zip file ´/external_sd/SM-T500-GSI-kernel.zip´¨ what do i do?

Hausemaster

Dec 2, 2020
It should work without any problem. There's no prerequisite on BUJ1 at all :)
Would you be also able to make a kernel and twrp after this device gets Android 12 from Samsung?
As, us folks on SM-T505 were able to install and use a GSI in the first place with magisk, by using your kernel zip and twrp for the SM-T500, being for a different device didn't break anything and provided the fixes to mtp and other stuff, so yeah, please consider this to be a "feature" request for the future from us (users of SM-T500 and SM-T505).

Last edited:

Jim in CA

Sep 21, 2021
I have a working GSI version of Lineage 19.1 on my SM-T500 using this thread:

However that version of TWRP would always boot back into TWRP unless you used his exit_twrp command. So I decided to install the version of TWRP in this thread. It seems to work fine. It boots into System as desired.

My issue, which is a minor one, is that each time I boot back into TWRP it goes back to the default brightness level in TWRP with the screen timeout box checked. It also does not retain the date/time setting used in the past session. The time and date is wrong. The date is an issue because of the default backup file name date code is always the same. Is this typical or am I missing something? Any suggestions?

(Both versions of TWRP had this issue.)

Hausemaster

Dec 2, 2020
I have a working GSI version of Lineage 19.1 on my SM-T500 using this thread:

However that version of TWRP would always boot back into TWRP unless you used his exit_twrp command. So I decided to install the version of TWRP in this thread. It seems to work fine. It boots into System as desired.

My issue, which is a minor one, is that each time I boot back into TWRP it goes back to the default brightness level in TWRP with the screen timeout box checked. It also does not retain the date/time setting used in the past session. The time and date is wrong. The date is an issue because of the default backup file name date code is always the same. Is this typical or am I missing something? Any suggestions?

(Both versions of TWRP had this issue.)
Unless FBE is disabled, this behaviour is typical behaviour
FBE- File based encryption

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    pngwing.com.png

Code:
    /*
    * Disclaimer
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * We're not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
    */

Introduction

Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) is an open-source software custom recovery image for Android-based devices. It provides a touchscreen-enabled interface that allows users to install third-party firmware and back up the current system, functions often unsupported by stock recovery images. It is, therefore, often installed when rooting Android devices, although it isn't dependent on a device being rooted to be installed.

Known limitations
    • FBE encrypted storage (Internal Data) not able to be decrypted in TWRP.
    Changelog
    • 2021-12-08:
      • Added: exfat support
      • Added: mass storage support
      • Fixed: USB composition rules
      • Supressed audit messages in logcat
      • Misc changes (see device tree for details)

• 2021-12-05: Initial release

Motivation and credits.

AFAICT there're two TWRP builds on xda for the SM-T500, made by ragarcia87 and agreenbhm

The main motivation for Yet Another TWRP build was getting fastboot working, so we can follow official instructions to flash GSI builds on our devices.

Credits to u/agreenbhm for the device tree: https://github.com/agreenbhm/android_device_samsung_gta4lwifi
    Credits to u/ragarcia87 for the thread, which I used as a template for this one :)

Installation Instructions

From computer:
    • Download Odin Flashable Tar from bellow
    • Put tablet into Odin Download Mode
    • Flash Blank vbmeta via Userdata
    • Flash Odin Flashable Tar via AP
    From TWRP:
    • Download recovery.img from below
    • Copy recovery.img to device
    • Install > Install Image > recovery.img to Recovery
    • Reboot > Recovery

Flashing system/vendor/product/odm partitions

Logical partitions are read only from TWRP. If you want to flash them you'll need to reboot in fastbootd.
    • Boot in TWRP
    • Go to reboot and select fastboot.
    • Wait until you see a TWRP dialog saying "entered in fastboot"
    • Once you flashed all desired partitions reboot to recovery
    • In recovery wipe -> format data.
    Notes on GSI flashing:
    • /product partition is unused in GSI builds. You can flash an empty image to gain 1GB for other logical partitions.
    • /system partition will be resized to the size of the GSI image you're flashing.
    I didn't know about the watchdog. AFAICT it doesn't affect AOSP or LineageOS. These roms seem to signal BOOT_COMPLETED just fine.

Could you please try this kernel? (backup your boot.img first): It is mostly stock with MTP drivers and watchdogs disabled. It should work on any GSI rom, no matter if it is android11 or android12.

If something doesn't work with it and you're not on last firmware (BUJ1) please update the firmware first. It ought to work on previous FW releases too but wasn't tested on them.
    i have notting instaled and it uses 2 gb of ram while it got 3 gb and you say it lacks ram

Seriously, stop. Do read https://www.linuxatemyram.com/ if you want.

At this point GSI builds are not meant for end users in this device.

What we need now is people reporting things that don't work (i.e: bluetooth audio, once paired sound is still routed to tablet speakers) and NOT people whining about non real issues.

Support for certain ROMs in certain versions is out of the scope. If all gets fixed on phhusson builds (a12 at this point) everything should work just fine in all other GSI builds as all of them rely on phh work.

So please report what things don't work in phh. If you want support of your favorite build then start a thread elsewhere.
    Thanks for bringing a nicer TWRP for GSI loading to our devices. I flashed this with no issues, but I am really struggling to get my device to boot any GSI. I am sure it is something that I am doing wrong on my end, since I have not messed with Samsung devices or any GSI installations before. Is there a change to have a more in-depth guide written up on installing a GSI on our device, or is there one already available that has similar instructions? I am planning on starting from scratch once I get home, and would like to have all of my ducks in a row before attempting again.

Sure, I'll write a deep guide when I get basic stuff sorted out.

For starters, it is:

On TWRP -> Reboot -> Fastboot

Let the device reboot, wait until you see TWRP "entered fastboot"

Check your computer sees the device with

fastboot devices

(retry until it does)

Now erase system and flash a new image:

fastboot erase system
    fastboot flash system whatever-aosp-gsi-ab-arm64.img

Finally reboot to recovery

fastboot reboot recovery

And format data:

Wipe -> Format data

Now you can reboot to the system. It will work.

I've tested it with Google AOSP builds, PHH builds and LineageOS builds based on PHH.

Bugs you'll find on any GSI build:

1. MTP doesn't work (needs a kernel change)
    2. Brightness slider doesn't work (can be fixed easily without kernel change)
    3. Probably more that I didn't found yet :)
    How do I fix the brightness and pixle experience randomly reboots for me

Hi.

Reboots (random or not, unless requested by the user) are something I can't reproduce on the GSI builds I've tested. I would suggest to contact upstream about this.

The brightness stuff bugs me, as I can reproduce it in every GSI rom out there. I'll try to report it to phhusson to see if it gets fixed somehow, if not we're going to modify slightly the system.img to work on our devices.

For now you can get it working with just 3 commands, until you reboot your device:

Bash:
    adb shell
    su
    echo 100 > /sys/class/backlight/panel0-backlight/brightness