[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP 3.7.0 for 2019 Galaxy Tab A 10.1 [SM-T510]

Search This thread

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
The July 2022 Update U5CVG2 is being distributed now via the Software update. Got that update this morning. Any ETA on an updated TWRP? Or can I use the TWRP U5CVB1 file?
I've requested the kernel source from Samsung, but it usually takes at least a week for them to post that. Until then, the latest version posted should work as long as you're not using Magisk to boot through recovery to a CVG2 system image.

Reactions: AfiqAffandi

DjDom

Dec 28, 2011
Toronto
I've requested the kernel source from Samsung, but it usually takes at least a week for them to post that. Until then, the latest version posted should work as long as you're not using Magisk to boot through recovery to a CVG2 system image.

Great thread.

Tried the current version with an up to date tablet and ODIN fails to flash every time. Thankfully, easy to recover by flashing factory AP.

Can't wait for the newest version so I can finally install Lineage on this thing. Runs awful with the factory Samsung Bloat OS.

Any chance of getting an updated version to work with the latest Kernel? Looks like it's been posted by Samsung.

Last edited:

DjDom

Dec 28, 2011
Toronto

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
I can't get my tablet to flash TWRP or Lineage OS for the life of me.
Flashing TWRP with ODIN just fails constantly, flashing Lineage OS hangs at "recovery"

Any suggestions for me, please?
Odin flashes TWRP just fine for me. Please ensure that you've not triggered VaultKeeper, which will put you in a limbo state that looks like the bootloader is unlocked...but it isn't. Also, the OEM firmware has another Knox "feature" that will automatically restore stock recovery if you boot into OEM firmware without having run MultiDisabler first. You need to make sure that you reboot into TWRP from Odin directly and run that script first to disable both VaultKeeper and the stock recovery auto-restoration.

Last edited:

DjDom

Dec 28, 2011
Toronto
Odin flashes TWRP just fine for me. Please ensure that you've not triggered VaultKeeper, which will put you in a limno state that looks like the bootloader is unlocked...but it isn't. Also, the OEM firmware has another Knox "feature" that will automatically restore stock recovery if you boot into OEM firmware without having run MultiDisabler first. You need to make sure that you reboot into TWRP from Odin directly and run that script first to disable both VaultKeeper and the stock recovery auto-restoration.
Turns out that for whatever reason, the "OEM Unlock" status wasn't appearing and forcing the recovery flash to fail.
After tinkering for hours I finally figured that one out and it flashed no problem. Thank you for the swift reply.
Now I'm just trying to get GAPPS working with your version of Lineage OS, lool.
It's been years since I've tinkered with Android and it's definitely bringing back some memories.

galoneta

Nov 15, 2010
Dear Magendanz.

First I want to thank you for all dedicated time to work on this device!

I am using lineage-17.1-20200812-UNOFFICIAL-T510XXU3BTFN and updated TWRP to build twrp-3.5.1_9-0-T510XXU4BUA1-20210310 (updating img file from twrp) and applied magisk 25.2 (zip method, directly with TWRP): this combo works fine for me!

Tried to update twrp (and needed magisk 25.2 too) to twrp-3.6.2_11-1-T510XXU5CVG2-20220905.img (in twrp and later applied magisk zip) but this produced bootloop! Needed to revert back to twrp-3.5.1_9-0-T510XXU4BUA1-20210310 with Odin and reapplied magisk 25.2 again: device is working fine again.

Is it possible to use this newer twrp builds with this rom ? How ?

Thanks.

Magendanz

Mar 25, 2008
Issaquah, WA
www.Vote4Chad.com
Tried to update twrp (and needed magisk 25.2 too) to twrp-3.6.2_11-1-T510XXU5CVG2-20220905.img (in twrp and later applied magisk zip) but this produced bootloop! Needed to revert back to twrp-3.5.1_9-0-T510XXU4BUA1-20210310 with Odin and reapplied magisk 25.2 again: device is working fine again.

Is it possible to use this newer twrp builds with this rom ? How ?
Generally, I haven't had a problem mixing and matching recovery kernels with bootloaders of the same major release, but in this case you're going from an Android 10 ROM (Bxxx) to an Android 11 ROM (Cxxx) and the older bootloader will be incompatible.

The workaround is just to update to the latest OEM firmware and then install the latest LineageOS 18.1 build (which includes the current TWRP recovery). Unfortunately, the OEM install will do a factory wipe, so make sure to back everything up first.

Reactions: DarkSteve

waeking

Nov 18, 2009
I have successfully flashed twrp-3.6.2_11-1-T510XXU5CVG2 with odin. I am trying to adb sideload gapps. When I am in TWRP's recovery I can see the device with the command adb devices as it lists

List of devices attached R52M****** recovery

When I go into Advanced > ADB Sideload The device disappears and I can not use ``adb sideload gapps.zip`` Any suggestions

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
I have successfully flashed twrp-3.6.2_11-1-T510XXU5CVG2 with odin. I am trying to adb sideload gapps. When I am in TWRP's recovery I can see the device with the command adb devices as it lists

List of devices attached R52M****** recovery

When I go into Advanced > ADB Sideload The device disappears and I can not use ``adb sideload gapps.zip`` Any suggestions
Why not just copy the gapps.zip to the tablet and flash it with TWRP?

j0nw

May 17, 2014
Getting the following while trying to flash twrp. Any suggestions?

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin engine v(ID:3.1401)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> Total Binary size: 42 M
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
I am under the impression that I need to factory reset before I install gapps. This will delete the gapps.zip before I can install via twrp.
TWRP has the ability to copy files from the computer. A factory reset doesn't erase the download folder, but formatting the data partition does. You have two choices. Copy the gapps file to the external SD card, or use TWRP to copy it AFTER formatting the data partition.

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
TWRP has the ability to copy files from the computer. A factory reset doesn't erase the download folder, but formatting the data partition does. You have two choices. Copy the gapps file to the external SD card, or use TWRP to copy it AFTER formatting the data partition.

How do I do this? Which buttons in TWRP?
You don't use buttons in TWRP. You use Windows Explorer. When you are in TWRP and plug the USB cable into a Windows computer, the tablet should show up as a drive in Windows Explorer.

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
It does show

The tablet shows up with internal storage showing but there are no files or folder showing and I can not paste anything
That's because you formatted the data partition and erased all of the folders. Just copy to internal storage. Why don't you have an SD card installed.? It would sure make things easier.

edit: If you can't copy a file to Internal Storage, use TWRP's file management to create a folder in Internal storage. OR INSTALL AN SD card!!!! BTW, you do know that you need to install a ROM BEFORE installing gapps?

Last edited:

waeking

Nov 18, 2009
That's because you formatted the data partition and erased all of the folders. Just copy to internal storage. Why don't you have an SD card installed.? It would sure make things easier.

edit: If you can't copy a file to Internal Storage, use TWRP's file management to create a folder in Internal storage. OR INSTALL AN SD card!!!! BTW, you do know that you need to install a ROM BEFORE installing gapps?
Thanks for helping. As it turns out Gapps was intalled in the rom. The only app that I can't install is google calendar. I don't have access to an sd card on hand unfortunately.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    twrp-featured.jpg

After @geiti94 and @ianmacd started the ball rolling for the Samsung Galaxy S10 series (Exynos 9820), it was really only a matter of time until we could do the same for the 2019 Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (Exynos 7904). The kernel source was released last May, allowing me to build a custom kernel with many of the problematic Knox security features disabled. What's posted below is a work in progress, but it should suffice to unblock efforts to build custom ROMs for this impressive tablet.

Notes:
    • The current process requires you to reset to factory defaults to remove file-based encryption. Remember to backup your data!
    • Custom kernels are specific to OEM releases, and rely on the latest posted kernel source (T510XXU5CVG2).
    • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't flash the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
    • Support for file-based encryption

Downloads:
    Build archives:

Change Log:
    v3.7.0_11-0:
    v3.6.2_11-0:
    v3.6.1_11-1:
    • Minor update to incorporate fix from TWRP repo.
    v3.6.1_11-0:
    v3.6.0_11-2:
    • Updated to T510XXU5CUL1 posted kernel source.
    v3.6.0_11-1:
    • Updated to T510XXU5CUJ1 posted kernel source.
    • Updated to TWRP 3.6.0 release built from aosp-11 branch.
    v3.5.2_9-0:
    • Updated to T510XXU5CUF4 posted kernel source.
    v3.5.2_9-0:
    v3.5.1_9-0:
    • Updated to T510XXU4BUA1 posted kernel source.
    • Updated to TWRP 3.5.1 release built from omni-9.0 branch.
    v3.5.0_9-0:
    • Updated to T510XXU3BTK1 posted kernel source.
    • Updated to TWRP 3.5.0 release built from omni-9.0 branch.
    v3.4.0-0:
    • Updated to TWRP v3.4.0 source
    • Updated to latest custom kernel
    v3.3.1-7:
    v3.3.1-6:
    • Switched to .img file for installation from TWRP
    v3.3.1-5:
    • Fixed hang on splash with encrypted user data partition
    • Added OTA update (.zip) for installation from TWRP
    v3.3.1-4:
    • Fixed MTP support in a way that supports Magisk
    v3.3.1-3:
    • Fixed MTP support
    • Included boot image with custom kernel
    • Deprecated separate NoKnox releases
    v3.3.1-2:
    • Changed system partition mount point to /system_root
    • Fixed screen brightness control
    • Restored screen timeout

Instructions:
    From OEM stock firmware:
    • Unlock bootloader
    • Hold Vol Up & Vol Down buttons during restart to enter Download mode
    • Install TWRP to AP with Odin
    • Hold Power & Vol Up buttons during restart to enter TWRP recovery
    • Install latest Multidisabler from TWRP
    • Wipe->Format Data
    • Reboot to system
    From existing TWRP install: (No need for data wipe.)
    • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
    • Tap Install->Install Image, select your image (.img) file, pick Recovery partition, and then swipe to install
    • Reboot to system

What about rooting with Magisk?
    These images are not supplied pre-rooted with Magisk, since it's against the terms of use laid out by Magisk's developer, John Wu. To root the TWRP image yourself, simply use Magisk Manager to Select and Patch a File. More details on this process are available from @ianmacd's topic for the Galaxy S10 series here.

Source:

Donations:
    • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
    Hello.
    Source code of SM-T510 Android 10
    T510XXU3BTFN
    on https://opensource.samsung.com/uploadSearch
    ...and we just got a new drop of the AOSP 10 GSI. Please stand by...
    Just a quick update: Samsung posted the T515XXS3ASK5 source last night, so I expect T510XXS2ASK5 to follow soon. When that happens, I'll update TWRP for both the SM-T510 and SM-T515.
    As soon as kernel source is posted for T515XXS4ATE3, I'll post that too.

Downloads:
    SM-T510:

Change Log:
    v3.4.0-0:
    • Updated to TWRP v3.4.0 source
    New build posted for T510XXU5CUF4. Note that the bootloader in this OEM firmware release has rollback prevention, so you might want to give some thought first before upgrading.

Downloads:
    Build archives:

Change Log:
    v3.5.2_9-0:
    • Updated to T510XXU5CUF4 posted kernel source.