Development [RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP 3.7.0 for 2021 Galaxy Tab A8 10.5 [SM-X200]

Search This thread

bighit101

Feb 18, 2010
@Tony Ronaldo Matute

Hey man, quick question since it seems like you have a lot of experience with this.

Thanks to your tips in this thread I was able to install TWRP successfully (after trying for like 10 hours :-( ).

Now the issue, when I try to flash Magisk.img, it just bootloops (Samsung logo comes and restarts).

What I am doing is the following (Please correct me if wrong):

1. I have the most recent AVG1 firmware.
2. Installed TWRP with instructions here.
3. Boot into OS, install Magisk apk, patch the "Original boot.img" that I got from stock AVG1 firmware.
4. Boot into TWRP and install the patched boot.img under "Boot" tab and then restart.
5. Bootloop occurs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd buy you coffee/beer for your time :)

Thanks,

@Tony Ronaldo Matute

Hey man, quick question since it seems like you have a lot of experience with this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd buy you coffee/beer for your time :)

Thanks,
broo 😹😹

I'm gonna help you, it's okay you can drink your own beer 🍻

You should package the patched boot image with 7-zip in ".tar" and then flash it with Odin in the AP flour. Just make sure to rename the patched image as "boot.img". Tell me if it works for you.

bighit101

Feb 18, 2010
broo 😹😹

I'm gonna help you, it's okay you can drink your own beer 🍻

You should package the patched boot image with 7-zip in ".tar" and then flash it with Odin in the AP flour. Just make sure to rename the patched image as "boot.img". Tell me if it works for you.

Hey, I think there is some confusion on my part. Please see my questions below.

1. I am taking the AP file (which is in .tar format) and patching it via Magisk. Correct?

2. What do you mean Rename patched image as "boot.img"? Because Magisk patches it as a .tar file for me?

2. Are you saying just to package the "pactched.img"? And then install that via odin?

Thanks again!

Hey, I think there is some confusion on my part. Please see my questions below.

1. I am taking the AP file (which is in .tar format) and patching it via Magisk. Correct?

2. What do you mean Rename patched image as "boot.img"? Because Magisk patches it as a .tar file for me?

2. Are you saying just to package the "pactched.img"? And then install that via odin?

Thanks again!
play, I see now.

1. Unpackage the "boot.img" file from the "AP" archive.
2. patch the "boot.img" file with magisk
3. Rename the patched boot image to "boot.img".
4. Package with 7zip in .tar
5. Flash it via Odin in the AP slot.
6. With the booted tablet, you can install the magisk app.

Tell me if it works for you:)

Reactions: rolarocka

bighit101

Feb 18, 2010
play, I see now.

1. Unpackage the "boot.img" file from the "AP" archive.
2. patch the "boot.img" file with magisk
3. Rename the patched boot image to "boot.img".
4. Package with 7zip in .tar
5. Flash it via Odin in the AP slot.
6. With the booted tablet, you can install the magisk app.

Tell me if it works for you:)
Thanks for detailed explanation! I wasn't using the .img file. But even now after I try to flash the patched boot.img my tablet keeps bootlooping.

I'm sure there is some issue that I am just not seeing.

Any other way to root instead of Magisk?

UnnA^

Sep 26, 2012
No, you should patch the boot.img using the Magisk app, then flash it using TWRP or pack in a tarball and use Odin. Don't patch the whole AP, as Magisk will substitute a blank vbmeta.img that the bootloader on this device doesn't like.
Ugh, i patched the whole AP and now my tab is just black. Cant turn it on/off reset, download mode.....nothing. any ideas?

asripath

Jul 12, 2020
Redmi K20 Pro
Yep, you've got to discharge the battery so that it will do a cold start when you reconnect the USB cable. At that point, the bootloader should detect the Vol Up + Vol Down buttons and get you to Download mode.
Maybe discharging through a usb attached peripheral like a fan/light might speed up the process... otherwise it will feel like looking at a rock to grow

UnnA^

Sep 26, 2012
Success! Got home from work today and after 4 days, i got it into download mode! Reflashed fw aand I'm back in business. Thanks! Is there a way to upgrade to the latest software whilst retaining your data/root?

Reactions: Magendanz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I successfully installed TWRP (and Magisk, and a phh GSI Lineage) on the A8. Pretty simple if you know the caveats.
    • Enable developper settings and unlock botloader ("OEM unlock"). For me this option did only appear in the developper settings with a working internet connection (so at least Wifi had to be set up).
    • I was not able to install TWRP without a rooted boot.img despite running the most current official firmware. The original recovery seemed to re-appear after a reboot. So first I had to patch boot.img with the Magisk app. Can be done with any device where Magisk is installed, not necessarily the A8. boot.img is hidden somewhere deep inside the nested archive of the official firmware.
    • The download mode of the A8 for me had the annoying habit of allowing only exactly one operation, afterwards the tablet had to be rebooted again to download mode in order to be recognized again by the connected computer?!
    • For Linux users: You don't need Odin, Heimdall works.
    • So: Reboot to download mode (Vol+/-) for the first time, flash the patched boot.img (heimdall flash --boot magisk_patched_file.img --no-reboot; I added --no-reboot, because I wanted to have control over the reboot process and avoid booting to system in between)
    • Reboot to download for the second time and flash TWRP (heimdall flash --recovery twrp-name.img --no-reboot)
    • ...and then flash the GSI image according to the instructions in this forum. I tried to avoid booting the system whenever possible until the GSI was flashed, but I don't know if this is necessary.
    Everything seems to work, including the SIM card of the X205. SD card can be integrated in the internal storage.
    Getting rid of the Samsung cruft was like a liberation for the tablet. Thanks for all involved devs!
    Can I do TWRP backup and restore or encryption is messed up
    You can backup the super image but not data. I had to format my SD card as ext4 because it is 64gb and TWRP wasn't handling exFat.
    The issue is that it won't turn on at all and I can't get it into download mode. No response from the device. Maybe letting it discharge would help?
    That happened to me when I first starting developing TWRP on this device, and I had to wait a week for the battery to die. After then, just plug it into a USB cable connected to your PC while holding Vol Up & Down to enter Download mode and flash the latest OEM firmware release.
    twrp-featured.jpg

Notes:
    • What's posted below is a work in progress, but it should suffice to unblock efforts to build custom ROMs for this impressive tablet.
    • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't flash the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
    • Support for metadata encryption (which causes mounting errors in log)
    • MTP sometimes doesn't start until you disable and reenable in the Mount panel
    Downloads:
    Change Log:
    v3.7.0_11-1 (2022-10-24):
    • Adjusted dynamic partition size and removed redundant backup image.
    v3.7.0_11-0 (2022-10-09):
    • Updated to TWRP 3.7.0 release built from AOSP-11 branch.
    • Updated to X200XXU1BVI6 (Android 12) OEM stock kernel.
    v3.6.2_11-1 (2022-09-11):
    v3.6.2_11-0 (2022-09-04):

Instructions:
    From OEM stock firmware:
    • Unlock bootloader
    • Hold Vol Up & Vol Down buttons during restart to enter Download mode
    • Install TWRP to AP with Odin
    • Hold Power & Vol Up buttons during restart to enter TWRP recovery
    From existing TWRP install: (No need for data wipe.)
    • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
    • Tap Install->Install Image, select your image (.img) file, pick Recovery partition, and then swipe to install
    • Reboot to Recovery

What about rooting with Magisk?
    These images are not supplied pre-rooted with Magisk, since it's against the terms of use laid out by Magisk's developer, John Wu. To root the TWRP image yourself, simply use Magisk Manager to Select and Patch the boot.img file. More details on this process are available here. Note that you should just patch the boot.img file and not the whole AP tarball, since this device's bootloader doesn't like the empty vbmeta.img that Magisk will provide.

Source:

Donations:
    • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
    New release is posted...

Downloads:

Change Log:
    v3.6.2_11-1 (2022-09-11):
    New release for Android 12 is posted. Note that the OEM's stock recovery auto-restoration "feature" has been removed in X200XXU1BVI6, so TWRP installs should survive rebooting to system now.

Downloads:

Change Log:
    v3.7.0_11-0 (2022-10-09):

• Updated to TWRP 3.7.0 release built from AOSP-11 branch.
    • Updated to X200XXU1BVI6 (Android 12) OEM stock kernel.
    This build seems to work for backing up my super partition. Please give it a try!

Downloads:
    Change Log:
    v3.7.0_11-1 (2022-10-24):
    • Adjusted dynamic partition size and removed redundant backup image.
    twrp-featured.jpg

Notes:
    • What's posted below is a work in progress, but it should suffice to unblock efforts to build custom ROMs for this impressive tablet.
    • This is unofficial and unsupported, so the usual caveats apply. Since we don't flash the bootloader, you should be able recover from any problems...but nothing is guaranteed.

Not working:
    • Support for metadata encryption (which causes mounting errors in log)
    • MTP doesn't start until you disable and reenable in the Mount panel

Downloads:

Change Log:
    v3.6.2_11-0 (2022-09-04):

Instructions:
    From OEM stock firmware:
    • Unlock bootloader
    • Hold Vol Up & Vol Down buttons during restart to enter Download mode
    • Install TWRP to AP with Odin
    • Hold Power & Vol Up buttons during restart to enter TWRP recovery
    From existing TWRP install: (No need for data wipe.)
    • Hold Power & Vol Up during restart to enter TWRP recovery
    • Tap Install->Install Image, select your image (.img) file, pick Recovery partition, and then swipe to install
    • Reboot to Recovery

What about rooting with Magisk?
    These images are not supplied pre-rooted with Magisk, since it's against the terms of use laid out by Magisk's developer, John Wu. To root the TWRP image yourself, simply use Magisk Manager to Select and Patch the boot.img file. More details on this process are available here. Note that you should just patch the boot.img file and not the whole AP tarball, since this device's bootloader doesn't like the empty vbmeta.img that Magisk will provide.

Source:

Donations:
    • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.
    I am so delighted to see that there is major development for this device.
    This will open the door for future custom ROMs.
    Thank you Magendanz for your effort in bringing this to us.